PDA

View Full Version : Everyone knows that if it has anything to do with pool, AZ Billiards has it, so......

hangemhigh
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Where is this elusive movie?

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=739637

Fats in a movie called The Player, currently being shot in Baton Rouge, La. Too well known for hustling, Fats now plays exhibition gamesówith no frills. After watching dinner-jacketed players at a New York tournament, he once observed that "dressing a pool player in a tuxedo is like putting whipped cream on a hot dog."

Never once have I seen it offered anywhere, here, eBay, or even craigslist. Could it actually be the best pool movie ever made?

manwon
03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=hangemhigh;2320834]Where is this elusive movie?

Fats in a movie called The Player, currently being shot in Baton Rouge, La. Too well known for hustling, Fats now plays exhibition games—with no frills. After watching dinner-jacketed players at a New York tournament, he once observed that "dressing a pool player in a tuxedo is like putting whipped cream on a hot dog."

Tommy, a couple of years ago I added one of the original Movie posters from this movie to collection of Billiards Movie items. Then, I did a great deal of research trying to find a copy of the film, and I found out the following information.

1) The movie the Player was never released for the box office, and the only viewings were at film festivals where they were trying to get it released.

2) The poster I have included photo's of was made for one the film festivals.

3) The only known copy of the film was in possession of a gentleman who passed away years back in Illinois and know one who is talking claims to know where the copy currently is.

Hope this helps.

TXsouthpaw
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I remember seeing this poster, probably on here. Wish someone could get a copy of that movie.

hangemhigh
03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the information, Craig. A good friend sent me this link, which gives the story line.

http://templeofschlock.blogspot.com/2009/12/lost-and-still-not-found-case-file-54.html

ScottR
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Craig, the pool, cue trivia king. Way to go!!!

Scott

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
set in the DINGEY GRIME AND STINK OF THE POOLROOM... haha, man, we complain about pool's image today. I think it musta been even worse 40 years ago.

It's a shame a pool movie with real players like fats and colavita is apparently gonna be lost forever, with none of us having gotten a look at it. Someone needs to get this thing digitized before it decomposes completely.

manwon
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
set in the DINGEY GRIME AND STINK OF THE POOLROOM... haha, man, we complain about pool's image today. I think it musta been even worse 40 years ago.

It's a shame a pool movie with real players like fats and colavita is apparently gonna be lost forever, with none of us having gotten a look at it. Someone needs to get this thing digitized before it decomposes completely.

I totally agree but, like I said if anyone knows where the copy or copies are no one is talking, I searched for almost year, and I even contacted the studio made the movie. While I did find others looking for a copy of this movie, and gained some additional information I have never talked with anyone who claims to have seen it or knows for certain where a copy is in any format.

Take Care

manwon
03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the information, Craig. A good friend sent me this link, which gives the story line.

http://templeofschlock.blogspot.com/2009/12/lost-and-still-not-found-case-file-54.html

Thanks Tommy, I have seen that site before and that is certainly some great information, in fact that site has more information than any other that I have found.

Take care

JB Cases
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Where is this elusive movie?

Fats in a movie called The Player, currently being shot in Baton Rouge, La. Too well known for hustling, Fats now plays exhibition gamesówith no frills. After watching dinner-jacketed players at a New York tournament, he once observed that "dressing a pool player in a tuxedo is like putting whipped cream on a hot dog."

Never once have I seen it offered anywhere, here, eBay, or even craigslist. Could it actually be the best pool movie ever made?

There is a place here to vote to have the movie made into a DVD. I bet if we were to do some guerilla campaigning and get the votes up then TCN would try and track it down and make a DVD.

Come on it will be like our own American Idol :-)

poolcuemaster
03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I voted and gave my email and the vote count stayed at 7 even after leaving and starting a new browser.--Leonard

oldzilla
03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I voted and gave my email and the vote count stayed at 7 even after leaving and starting a new browser.--Leonard

i voted twice, having 2 emails to use !

BigDaddyICE
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Voted twice also... Would love to see this Movie

Exsanguinating
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
There is a place here to vote to have the movie made into a DVD. I bet if we were to do some guerilla campaigning and get the votes up then TCN would try and track it down and make a DVD.

Come on it will be like our own American Idol :-)

Great idea! My vote is in ;)

oldzilla
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
i posted a new thread with more descriptive title so azers will notice better.

no offense to OP.:cool:

Duffman
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Voted...up to 39 now

pooligan
03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Voted. Count is at an even 40 now.

oldzilla
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
i tried voting again with same 2 email addys. hope it worked !

also gave it a 5 star rating, hehe. never seen it !

Exsanguinating
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I voted 3 more times, with all my email addies ;o)

tucson9ball
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
My vote is in. Make that 100 now.:thumbup:

metallicane
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Voted 3 times. I would love to see this movie on DVD. Hopes aren't high though.

I wonder if we can get a vote to get The Baltimore Bullet on DVD?

hangemhigh
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Voted 3 times. I would love to see this movie on DVD. Hopes aren't high though.

I wonder if we can get a vote to get The Baltimore Bullet on DVD?

We keep voting, they will hook us up, I hope.

jgpool
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I just voted, it was at 104 when I did my duty. :smile:

NineballBEN
03-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm also on the other thread about this,so far it was at 109,don't think it counted my last 2 votes,got the first ones though,still trying to remember all my other addy's though.

oldzilla
03-18-2010, 06:03 AM
definatly worth a bump ! our cause is growing !

Andrew Mathias
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
count is at 130

Exsanguinating
03-19-2010, 02:35 PM
"Doin the bump!" :)