PDA

View Full Version : Froze 8 ball.

LAMas
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
At the WPBA at Viejas, in the match betweeen jasmin and Chan, Chan hooks jas behind the 9 with the 8 on the otherside - both balls are on the head rail.

Jas rolls the CB into the 9 and up against the 8 giving Chan ball in hand. Chan checks the 8 and it's not froze to the rail and taps the 8 - first tap.

Jas checks and the 8 is not froze so she taps - her first tap. Again Chan checks and taps - her second. Likewise Jas checks and taps - her second.

Chan again checks for froze and wonders about a 3rd. At that point it is wondered if Chan taps for the third time that would be a foul. Play is stopped. The ump that was checking for a froze doesn't confirm if that is the rule.

Chan calls for an English interpretor and the ump calls on Steve Tipton TD ????? Steve and the ump pulls out the Rules books.

I wasn't close enough to hear the call, but instead of tapping the 8 again, she skins the 8 and hits the side rail but leaves enough separation between the 8 and 9 so that Jas pockets the 8 and then the 9 and wins the game.

Later, Chan wins the set and goes to the semi finals today.

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I never think about that rule. My feeling is they may not even need it, I can't see anyone playing the same ball forever without making a mistake or forcing the opponent to. I don't know if it's a rule in this game, but I know in straight pool a ref may call a stalemate and give the players 3 more chances to make something happen. If they don't then it starts again. Never heard of it being employed.

LAMas
03-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Bingo!
That's what was called. So they could have tried 2 more times after the ref called "delay of game".
Thanks

mjantti
03-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Actually if the 8-ball is close to the rail and players just tap it, I would never call a stalemate. It's not a situation which could go on forever because it will end immediately when the 8-ball ends frozen to the rail. They are trying to freeze the 8-ball to the rail, they are not delaying the game. Actually, I can't think of any reasonable situation in which a stalemate could occur in 9-ball. Plenty of those situations are possible in 14.1 ja 8-ball.

pooltchr
03-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Actually, I can't think of any reasonable situation in which a stalemate could occur in 9-ball. Plenty of those situations are possible in 14.1 ja 8-ball.

8 ball is in the corner pocket hanging on the lip. 9 ball is frozen to the 8 with no room on either side to get a good hit on the 8. Stalemate!

Steve

WoodyJ
03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
... I can't think of any reasonable situation in which a stalemate could occur in 9-ball.

Haven't played much 9-ball so I can't say for sure; but, how about if there are only two balls left on the table. Say, the 8 and the 9.

The 8 is deep in the middle of a corner pocket and will fall in if barely touched. The 9 is frozen to the 8 in front of the 8 and there's no way you can hit the 8 first.

Seems like this would either be: (1) a stalemate (since no one could make a legal hit on the 8 ball -- and no one would want to deliberatly hit the 9 first and knock in the 8), or (2) the first person to foul 3 times in a row would loose (if that was the rule being used).

pooltchr
03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought I just said that.

Steve

mjantti
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
What? That doesn't make sense. You cannot just refuse to shoot. In 9-ball you lose on 3 consecutive fouls, shooting isn't an option, you have to shoot. Doesn't matter how difficult the spot is. If you cannot hit the lowest numbered ball on the table, you either shoot and break up the cluster or take a foul. You cannot get a stalemate by fouling.

mdavis228
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
8 ball is in the corner pocket hanging on the lip. 9 ball is frozen to the 8 with no room on either side to get a good hit on the 8. Stalemate!

Steve

That wouldn't be a stalemate...
The first person to the table after this occured would be the 1st to foul, unless they want to try something desperate. They would be the 1st to foul 3 times, too. Loss of game. Not stalemate. Ugly luck.
There is the desperate chance to jump over the nine & hit the 8, hoping for a good result afterwards.

the9ballroller
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Haven't played much 9-ball so I can't say for sure; but, how about if there are only two balls left on the table. Say, the 8 and the 9.

The 8 is deep in the middle of a corner pocket and will fall in if barely touched. The 9 is frozen to the 8 in front of the 8 and there's no way you can hit the 8 first.

Seems like this would either be: (1) a stalemate (since no one could make a legal hit on the 8 ball -- and no one would want to deliberatly hit the 9 first and knock in the 8), or (2) the first person to foul 3 times in a row would loose (if that was the rule being used).

Pocket both balls in one shot...both balls come up on the spot, 8 being on the spot and the 9 frozen behind it. Ball in hand, but probably your only option IMO.

Roller

mjantti
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Pocket both balls in one shot...both balls come up on the spot, 8 being on the spot and the 9 frozen behind it. Ball in hand, but probably your only option IMO.

Roller

Except that in 9-ball only 9-ball will spot. All the rest of the balls stay down.

mjantti
03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Actually I can think of a stalemate situation. 1-ball is near the head rail and all the rest of the 8 balls stuck in a cluster near the foot rail in a way that the 2-ball is not available from any angle. Most likely neither player will try to pocket the 1-ball and break the huge cluster and instead will intentionally miss the 1-ball and leave it near the head rail on each shot. Stalemate is very likely in this case.

pooltchr
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
That wouldn't be a stalemate...
The first person to the table after this occured would be the 1st to foul, unless they want to try something desperate. They would be the 1st to foul 3 times, too. Loss of game. Not stalemate. Ugly luck.
There is the desperate chance to jump over the nine & hit the 8, hoping for a good result afterwards.

You're correct. My bad. Guess I've been playing too much 8 ball lately.
Steve

smoooothstroke
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Steve

This is not a stalemate,one player is in a tough spot,one player is poised to win the game.