PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Snakewood

rugerfan
03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I have been a long time fan of Snakewood in a cue. I had this cue built for me a recently so I could get my fill. Snakewood is bringing a premium these days. It took me a while to talk the builder into making this one up;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/ResizeofDSC_0709.jpg

Full splice Snakewood and curly maple with Snakewood butt cap, joint and ferrules. Pic doesn't do it justice but figured I would share my new love with everyone.

Cheers!

Slingshot 14
03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Very nice !

Rethunk
03-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I have been a long time fan of Snakewood in a cue. I had this cue built for me a recently so I could get my fill. Snakewood is bringing a premium these days. It took me a while to talk the builder into making this one up;

Nice! Who made that for you? And could you post a close-up of some of the snakewood?

rugerfan
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
This cue was made by a father/son operation out of WV by the name of Bob and Larry Thompson. These guys build some of the best looking and playing cues I have ever had the pleasure to own. Here's a couple closer pic's of the butt section and forearm;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/IMG_0472.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/IMG_0473.jpg

I have several of their cues for sale and currently building a website to showcase available cues for sale and past cues. Keep an eye on this website, I plan on having it up and going ASAP. The Thompson's are more then fair on their pricing.

The joint protectors are off another of my cues that is made with bacote/gaboon ebony/curly maple and elk horn!

www.Thompsoncues.com

pwd72s
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Very pretty. I'm curious about the ferrules????

gwjackal
03-15-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm curious as to how this is a full splice cue?

Rugerfan - can you let me know since your the one calling it a full splice!

metallicane
03-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Love snakewood.

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 07:58 AM
The woods in this cue are solid thruout the cue, hence the full splice term. Here is an example of their (not so) sneaky pete;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/SP2-1.jpg

This cue is a double full spliced cue made of curly maple and cocobola. I think this is what most people recognize as a spliced cue. This sneaky pete has been sold to a local guy who works at a pool hall. Said he had a double spliced cue back in the 70's, got in a pinch, sold it and he hasn't seen one available since. Took him a whole 30 seconds to decide to take this one off my hands...

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Very pretty. I'm curious about the ferrules????

The ferrules are also made of Snakewood. The builder's often use exotic hardwoods ferrules that match the woods in the cues they build. One of the cues that I have for sale has a laminated exotic hardwood ferrule that matches the woods in the cue. Very cool! Here's an example;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/IMG_0452.jpg

Cheers!

cueboy007
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Stunning cue!
Snakewood is real beauty, but a very delicate one. I've heard that
Snakewood needs to season at least 7-8 years, otherwise, it splits very easily

I wonder how does that snakewood ferrule hold up.

Cuebuddy
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
The woods in this cue are solid thruout the cue, hence the full splice term. Here is an example of their (not so) sneaky pete;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/SP2-1.jpg

This cue is a double full spliced cue made of curly maple and cocobola. I think this is what most people recognize as a spliced cue. This sneaky pete has been sold to a local guy who works at a pool hall. Said he had a double spliced cue back in the 70's, got in a pinch, sold it and he hasn't seen one available since. Took him a whole 30 seconds to decide to take this one off my hands...

Nice cue:smile: Who made it?

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Stunning cue!

I know for a fact that the Snakewood in this cue is very seasoned. The builder bought a sizable amount of Snakewood many years ago (back when it didn't cost you a arm and a leg...have you seen what snakewood is bring these days? Unreal...you pay for it by the pound).

Snakewood has a tendency to split depending on the grain. One local cue builder went to a supply house to purchase some Snakewood. Rough cut log, about 8" x 2.5-3 foot= $1,600.00! And you have no idea what your getting until you cut into it...Yikes!

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice cue:smile: Who made it?

Larry Thompson. I should have more of his "sneaky pete's" available in a couple weeks. He is more then reasonable in regards to his pricing. A cue like this would be around $300 plus shipping. I have spent damn near that on just a aftermarket LD shaft...

I'm working on getting a website up to feature their available cues, that is, if they last that long. I recieved 3 of his sneaky pete's on Friday, by Tuesday they were all sold. I will have a cue gallery page to showcase different cue styles. If you see something you like, you can contact me with your thoughts/requirments and we will do our best to put what you envisioned in your hands.

Cheers!

PS: The cues in my avitar were built by the same builders. Here's a better look at the pic, these are my personal cues-snakewood cue on the bottom;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/Cues/ResizeofDSC_0738.jpg

www.thompsoncues.com

pwd72s
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Stunning cue!

Me too, wondering about the durability of the wood ferrules. That concern aside, gorgeous cues...:)

MahnaMahna
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I have already bookmarked the soon to be up website, I definitely will be giving these guys some business!

For those who were questioning the durability of the ferrule:

-How would a wood ferrule effect the play of the cue? Hit? Deflection? I break with my playing cue, not a good idea with one of these?

Depending on what others say about the effect of the wood ferrule, if I decided I wanted a different ferrule, would the maker do this?

ridewiththewind
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Seriously...there is no disrespect intended here, but if there is an A-joint in those cues, they are NOT full splices. Cues having handles are not typically considered full splice cues.

Now the double spliced cue would be more of a full splice than the other examples shown.

A full splice cue...in the traditional definition...is a cue in which two pieces of wood (butt and nose) are spliced and glued together. The only screws you would find in one would be the pin at the joint, and possibly a weight bolt.

Now, it would make total sense to me that the 'one piece of wood going all the way through' would actually be the core...as snakewood really must be cored for any kind of stability in the cue's overall construction. Most makers will use a very stable wood as the core...such as an aged straight grain maple, or purpleheart...which are the more popular woods used for coring.

While working on their web site for them, you might ask them to clarify the construction techniques used for the various cues featured, so as to avoid any confusion from potential customers.

Lisa

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
I just got off the phone with the builder. I'm afraid I confused the construction methods of the different cues. We have been discussing several different cue designs recently and I, in turn, got them mixed up. My apologizes.

The Snakewood cue is a cored cue, cored with a resign impregnated laminated maple core assembled with an industrial grade expanding adhesive. The tolerance's are down to the thousands of a inch so extreme care is paramount during assembly. Just a little too much adhesive and the assembly quickly comes to a screeching halt and all hell breaks loose.

The sneaky Pete's are indeed full dual spliced cues. The finish they use is a industrial grade premium catalyzed coating, very similar to clear coat that is used on automobiles, buffed to a high gloss finish.

Each and every one of these cues are handmade, one at a time. No CNC machinery, no corner's cut. These cues play every bit as good as they look.

In regards to the ferrules, I have yet to see one fail. The woods that are used in the ferrules are exotic hardwoods. I personally have not broken a rack with one of my playing cue's in years. I use a Thompson brake cue for braking and really have no desire to reshape my tip on my playing cue every night. I have my brake timing pretty much dialed in and I hit the rack with a good amount of force. The sneaky Pete cues come with a Ivorine type ferrule and they will install any type of ferrule material you request. They also install premium layered tips, with a slight fee just to cover costs. Their standard tip is a medium Le Pro.

Again, my apologizes for my mix-up.

Cheers!

measureman
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
here are some Curtis Robertson cues. I saw the 2nd one from the right in person and it was stunning. It was also $2800.

alinco
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Here's my Capone Custom Cue. I think it is Snakewood. Does anyone know for sure? Is there something called Lacewood? Maybe I'm confused!

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Here's my Capone Custom Cue. I think it is Snakewood. Does anyone know for sure? Is there something called Lacewood? Maybe I'm confused!

The butt section on that Capone looks like Lacewood. Is the same wood in the points as well? What type of wood are the points footed into?

Cheers!

ridewiththewind
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Looks like Lacewood into ebony to me! Pretty cue!

Lisa

ridewiththewind
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I just got off the phone with the builder. I'm afraid I confused the construction methods of the different cues. We have been discussing several different cue designs recently and I, in turn, got them mixed up. My apologizes.

The Snakewood cue is a cored cue, cored with a resign impregnated laminated maple core assembled with an industrial grade expanding adhesive. The tolerance's are down to the thousands of a inch so extreme care is paramount during assembly. Just a little too much adhesive and the assembly quickly comes to a screeching halt and all hell breaks loose.

The sneaky Pete's are indeed full dual spliced cues. The finish they use is a industrial grade premium catalyzed coating, very similar to clear coat that is used on automobiles, buffed to a high gloss finish.

Each and every one of these cues are handmade, one at a time. No CNC machinery, no corner's cut. These cues play every bit as good as they look.

In regards to the ferrules, I have yet to see one fail. The woods that are used in the ferrules and exotic hardwoods. I personally have not broken a rack with one of my playing cue's in years. I use a Thompson brake cue for braking and really have no desire to reshape my tip on my playing cue every night. I have my brake timing pretty much dialed in and I hit the rack with a good amount of force. The sneaky Pete cues come with a Ivorine type ferrule and they will install any type of ferrule material you request. They also install premium layered tips, with a slight fee just to cover costs. Their standard tip is a medium Le Pro.

Again, my apologizes for my mix-up.

Cheers!

Hey, no problem! I wasn't trying to bust ya or anything...just that there are so many newer members here, and many are foraying into custom cues for the first time...so it's always better to make sure that there is no confusion...which can lead to a can o' worms.

I appreciate you not taking any offense...and neat cues!

Lisa

alinco
03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
The butt section on that Capone looks like Lacewood. Is the same wood in the points as well? What type of wood are the points footed into?

Cheers!

The points are the same Lacewood. Someone told me the other wood is tulipwood.

vasilios
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Here is a red palm and curly maple butt with some snake and maple inlays.the rings are maple and cocobola.it was built for inventory.
has a 21 inch 3 prong splice,weighs 20 oz.one shaft 12.8 mm.G-10 joint.