PDA

View Full Version : Need info. on Dominiak Cues

nancewayne
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I have an opportunity to do a cue trade for a Dominiak Electron cue with a D-2 laminated shaft. Their website said the retail value is $665, however, I have never ever seen a Dominiak cue. Are they a custom or a limited production cue? Do they have any resale value (if in good shape)? I like to try different cues, but I don't want to get stuck with something that has no resale market or value. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

snipershot
03-15-2010, 05:47 AM
I had a nice Dominiak a while back. It had the standard shaft and another shaft made by someone else. It played pretty good, but was too stiff for me. It was a coco and curly version of a $600 cue, and I bought it on here used for $225, so the resale isnt very good. I think they are similar to Carolina cues, sort of half custom, half production. Hope this helps.

Joe

pocketspeed
03-15-2010, 05:49 AM
dominiak cues are in fact custom cues. bill dominiak makes a fine stiff hitting cue. as for resale value, bill is not a very well know maker and as such doesnt have a the huge reputation that makes his cues valuable in the secondary market. if you buy a dominiak it should be b/c you like the looks/play of the cue and intent to play with it, not as an investment or b/c you hope to flip it at no lose if you dont like it. i've owned 3 dominiaks and liked them all.

brian

nancewayne
03-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the input...as I said, I like trying different cues and some go into my cue collection and some are sold. The problem with any used cue value is, "can I get back out of it what I put in it" or "what is it going to cost me to try it out"? Trying to sell a cue that is not well known has to be a tough sell or be deep discounted! Has anyone else had any experience with Dominiak cues including repairs?

dominiak cues are in fact custom cues. bill dominiak makes a fine stiff hitting cue. as for resale value, bill is not a very well know maker and as such doesnt have a the huge reputation that makes his cues valuable in the secondary market. if you buy a dominiak it should be b/c you like the looks/play of the cue and intent to play with it, not as an investment or b/c you hope to flip it at no lose if you dont like it. i've owned 3 dominiaks and liked them all.

brian

Kickin' Chicken
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
The problem with any used cue value is, "can I get back out of it what I put in it" or "what is it going to cost me to try it out"? Trying to sell a cue that is not well known has to be a tough sell or be deep discounted! Has anyone else had any experience with Dominiak cues including repairs?

A close friend of mine is a pro player and is the single fussiest person I know with respect to how he selects a playing cue. A few years ago at the SBE he went from booth to booth examining and trying out various maker's cues and a Dominiak ended up in his top three and that's saying a lot. He likes a stiff hitter and that's what these are.

Of course, there is a fair amount of subjectivity when it comes to how you will like the feel of a cue so unless you have experience with how a certain makers cues will play then it is probably best to take one for a test drive before buying. If you are going to SBE you can certainly try one there.

Another option would be to try to find a used one then you won't take such a hit on resale. I see them from time to time on ebay.

My aforementioned buddy actually ended up with a small sponsorship deal with Dominiak cues (no longer sponsored) and used their equipment for a year or so and he liked it. It was a bit stiff for me but played well overall.

Regards,
KC