PDA

View Full Version : Back to Manila

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Tomorrow I leave again for Manila. But this time there is no tournament or job that beckons me. It is because of my daughter that I'm going. Jalo is nine months old now, and it's come to my attention in the last few months, that she has not been as well cared for as I would like. Three weeks ago she nearly died from Bronchial Pneumonia. If she didn't have a parent (me) who could pay the hefty hospital bills she would not have received the care she did. Many other filipino babies might have perished in similar circumstances.

For me this trip is the start for making arrangements to bring her to the USA. My goal is to get her a US passport. I'm not sure how difficult that is going to be. One thing I do know is that I can't accomplish much over here. I have to go there to get something done. So that is what this trip is about. I love my little miracle child and I want the best for her. I could not live with myself if something happened to her and I wasn't there for her.

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support, and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I do appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

Grilled Cheese
03-14-2010, 09:13 PM
God Bless you Jay. You're doing a great thing.

mikeyfrost
03-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Go get her Jay!

eyoresnorz
03-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I'll be keeping you and your daughter in my prayers!

crawfish
03-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Handle it, man. Go get things done right. Good luck, Jay.

DogsPlayingPool
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Be safe, Jay. Tickle the little bugger for us, and make her smile. Hope the whole immigration thing goes well.

manwon
03-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Tomorrow I leave again for Manila. But this time there is no tournament or job that beckons me. It is because of my daughter that I'm going. Jalo is nine months old now, and it's come to my attention in the last few months, that she has not been as well cared for as I would like. Three weeks ago she nearly died from Bronchial Pneumonia. If she didn't have a parent (me) who could pay the hefty hospital bills she would not have received the care she did. Many other filipino babies might have perished in similar circumstances.

For me this trip is the start for making arrangements to bring her to the USA. My goal is to get her a US passport. I'm not sure how difficult that is going to be. One thing I do know is that I can't accomplish much over here. I have to go there to get something done. So that is what this trip is about. I love my little miracle child and I want the best for her. I could not live with myself if something happened to her and I wasn't there for her.

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

All you are going to need is a copy of her birth certificate stating that you are the father, then you go to the US Embassy. Now leaving the country with her is another story, but that should not be an issue if no one else contests you bringing her to the USA. I had a similar situation, my daughter was born in South Korea, and she was not Born in US Hospital facility because she came early. My wife and I had to go through some paper work at the US Embassy, but all in all it was not that difficult. By the way, only one parent has to be a US Citizen when the child is born, that alone gives the child status a US Citizen.

Hope this helps, god's speed and good luck.

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
All you are going to need is a copy of her birth certificate stating that you are the father, then you go to the US Embassy. Now leaving the country with her is another story, but that should not be an issue if no one else contests you bringing her to the USA. I had a similar situation, my daughter was born in South Korea, and she was not Born in US Hospital facility because she came early. My wife and I had to go through some paper work at the US Embassy, but all in all it was not that difficult. By the way, only one parent has to be a US Citizen when the child is born, that alone gives the child status a US Citizen.

Hope this helps, god's speed and good luck.

Thank you so much!

I have the original birth certificate, with me listed on it. It is registered with the Pasay City government as well. I also have all the paperwork from the U.S. Embassy to apply for her passport. And lots of other documents proving that I am the father. They actually want to check my passport to make sure I was in Manila nine months before Jalo was born.

I still need to get some passport photos taken and then stand in line at the Embassy. I pray all goes well. In Manila nothing is ever cut and dried. You always have to sweat it out. I'll camp out at the Embassy every day if that's what it takes.

cuesmith
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support, and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I do appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

Jay,
I hope all goes well for you. I don't know the situation you're dealing with but I married a Filipina who had twin daughters that she left with her parents in Cagayan De Oro. I know that bringing them over at a later date was going to be quite a bit more difficult than I'd ever imagined. And most of it needed to be done from this end. You should talk to a good immigrations attorney who specializes in the Philippines. There's a good one in LA, (a Filipino who has offices in the US and Manila) can't remember his name right now but Jose once recommended him to me. PM or call me if you want. I've been through some of this myself and may be able to point you to some help.

3RAILKICK
03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Best wishes, Jay and Jalo. Travel well.

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Jay,
I hope all goes well for you. I don't know the situation you're dealing with but I married a Filipina who had twin daughters that she left with her parents in Cagayan De Oro. I know that bringing them over at a later date was going to be quite a bit more difficult than I'd ever imagined. And most of it needed to be done from this end. You should talk to a good immigrations attorney who specializes in the Philippines. There's a good one in LA, (a Filipino who has offices in the US and Manila) can't remember his name right now but Jose once recommended him to me. PM or call me if you want. I've been through some of this myself and may be able to point you to some help.

Thanks Sherm. This case is slightly different in that Jalo should be an American citizen. If I can get her passport I feel like I'll be home free. Let's wait and see what happens this trip.

TATE
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Good luck Jay! Please keep us informed. Best wishes to Jalo - I can't imagine.

Chris

thefifteen
03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
good luck with this Jay. I am living in Angeles now, if you need any help or advice I can probably put you in touch with a few people, however you seem to have it pretty well covered.

Once again good luck.
Dave Wright

8ballEinstein
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Jay, I saw you at the San Diego Classic and didn't have the chance to say hello. Take care of business out there. The game will still be here when you get everything wrapped up.

gwjackal
03-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Good luck to you jay. I am going through a similar battle as I call it and being broke doesn't help. I wish you the best if you need any help back here once your there call and I will do what I can.

Greg

cuejoey
03-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Hope all goes well for you Jay...

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Best of luck Jay. You guys should be together. Make it happen.

poolhustler
03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey Jay,

Hope everything goes well for you with this predicament. I also hope that Jalo is better now.

Have a safe trip,

Russ.....

BlowFish
03-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Jay, have a safe trip, our prayers are for your daughter on a speedy recovery and smooth processing of her papers.

Jayson
03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Good luck Jay, hope everything goes well and hoping she is doing better.

Joe Rogan
03-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Best of luck to you, Jay. I hope everything works out for the best.

SpiderWebComm
03-15-2010, 04:21 AM
In the immortal call of "Raising Arizona,".....
http://billsmovieemporium.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/raisingzona.jpg
NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND!!!

I wish you the best Jay - go get'r!

Dave

nathandumoulin
03-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Best of luck Jay. Bring her home safe :)

Renegade
03-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Jay,

A good Immigrations Attorney would be Michael Gurfinkel. He's based in the States but has a column on Immigration for the Philippine Star and I think also a TV program on The Filipino Channel (ABS-CBN). He specializes in helping Filipinos get US Visas and Green Cards.

Here's his website (http://www.gurfinkel.com/).

Hope you all the best!

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
A good Immigrations Attorney would be Michael Gurfinkel. He's based in the States but has a column on Immigration for the Philippine Star and I think also a TV program on The Filipino Channel (ABS-CBN). He specializes in helping Filipinos get US Visas and Green Cards.

Here's his website (http://www.gurfinkel.com/).

Hope you all the best!

Thanks, you're the second person to refer me to him, and his offices are based in Glendale, CA. If things don't work out this trip I will contact him.

I really do appreciate all the encouragement from everybody. I am a little concerned about this trip, so much is riding on it as far as Jalo is concerned. I need everything to go as planned and for Jalo to get her US passport and become an American citizen. After that it might be as simple as buying a plane ticket for her.

I'll keep you all posted after I get there. I leave tonight for the 14+ hour trip to Manila. I don't know how these pool players fly all over the globe. I know I couldn't do it.

Eric.
03-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Good luck with the trip, Jay. Sounds like a complicated situation and you're a good man for taking care of business.

Eric

jersey jer
03-15-2010, 05:40 AM
good luck jay. i hope everything goes as smooth as possible and works out for the best.

jer

Johnnyt
03-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Good luck Jay. I hope all goes as smooth as possible for you and the kid. Johnnyt

Neil
03-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Renegade
03-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks, you're the second person to refer me to him, and his offices are based in Glendale, CA. If things don't work out this trip I will contact him.

I really do appreciate all the encouragement from everybody. I am a little concerned about this trip, so much is riding on it as far as Jalo is concerned. I need everything to go as planned and for Jalo to get her US passport and become an American citizen. After that it might be as simple as buying a plane ticket for her.

I'll keep you all posted after I get there. I leave tonight for the 14+ hour trip to Manila. I don't know how these pool players fly all over the globe. I know I couldn't do it.

You're welcome, Jay. Can't help but notice that you don't mention the mother much in your post. I know it's none of our business but I hope you're on good terms. You'll be needing her consent as Jalo is still a minor.

Rob_jerrylee
03-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Good luck Jay my heart is with you , I myself am having some family issues and it's always hard when Children are involved . So my heart goes out with you Jay and you will be in my prayers . Later Buddy .

Ktown D
03-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Good luck Jay. I know nothing about how the process goes but it sounds like you have a lot you will have to deal with. I hope everything falls into place for you.

The Beginner
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Goodluck Jay...hope everything is ok...I don't think there will be a problem about the paper works..as long you have someone to back you up there that you were there in the last year ....I think some of pool players like Efren would vouch for you about staying there in the philippines for few months ....let me know how we can help you...god bless..

CocoboloCowboy
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Good luck on your quest to bring you child home, and get out at night, and play some pool for your mental. I am sure you alreal know but as my buddy told me of his PI experences to buy land, and build his retirement home there, GREEN is what makes thing happen there.

chambalero
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Jay you will be needing a copy of her birth certificate issued by NSO (national statistics office) and a couple of passport size photos. You can apply online for her birth certificate and it will be delivered to anywhere in the Philippines in less than a week.

online BC application website
https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/frmIndex.asp

here's the website of DFA (Dept. of Foreign Affairs) for info on passport application
http://dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/passport

Hth. Good luck!

Mr. J
03-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Wishing you the best and some prayers for you too...

Jeffy

justadub
03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
P.S.- Is Trigger O.K. with all this???:D

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought of this! :p

The very best of luck for you on this trip Jay. My thoughts are with you. Come home safe, both of you!

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 08:02 AM
You're welcome, Jay. Can't help but notice that you don't mention the mother much in your post. I know it's none of our business but I hope you're on good terms. You'll be needing her consent as Jalo is still a minor.

We are on good terms now, out of necessity, but she was part of the problem. Kind of an indifferent mother, more interested in $$$ than child care. I think you get the picture. She is the variable in this equation. I'm hopeful she continues to co-operate with me. I won't know for sure until I get there.

gunzby
03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Bronchial pneumonia is no joke. I had it when I was about 8 years old. I was so weak I wasn't getting enough oxygen in my lungs to walk so I had to low crawl, or be carried to the bathroom. My parents said I almost died from it, but I can't remember it at all.

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Bronchial pneumonia is no joke. I had it when I was about 8 years old. I was so weak I wasn't getting enough oxygen in my lungs to walk so I had to low crawl, or be carried to the bathroom. My parents said I almost died from it, but I can't remember it at all.

Jalo was comatose when she arrived at the hospital. The first day was touch and go as to whether she would live. They hooked her up to to all kinds of machines. They sent me photos of this poor little thing all wired up with tubes going into her. By day two she was breathing on her own again.

I now have the first stomach ulcer of my life, stress induced my doctor said. This has been a rough month, and it isn't over yet.

cajunfats
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Jay, I wish You the best,and do not become discouraged no matter what. There is always Bureacracy at work in these matters,but you will have success in the end. Others on the thread have given great advice,there are professionals out there who can help. Bring Her Home Jay! Good Luck and Keep the Faith!

NewStroke
03-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Good luck Jay, I wish you all the best.

Kickin' Chicken
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Jay;

Best of luck in this noble mission and here's to yours and your daughter's good health.

Godspeed.

Brian (KC)

wahcheck
03-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I would like to add my best wishes to you for a speedy and positive outcome and the best of good luck....

CrownCityCorey
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Jay, talk to Efren - seriously... He is there in Phi now.

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Jay, talk to Efren - seriously... He is there in Phi now.

Will do Corey. I have his number. Thnx

Pushout
03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm sure all our thoughts will be with you Jay!! The best to you and your daughter.

Terry Ardeno
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Jay,
We'll be praying for a favorable outcome to this and hopefully, before you know it, you both will be back home in Cali!

I don't want to pry or nib, but I also know that you would never ask. Do you need any help financially? If so, we can get a "AZB freinds of Jay" fundraiser going and I'm 100% certain that you would have many who would help as they can. We can use your PayPal account from your
JayHelfert.com site (http://www.jayhelfert.com/) if you wish. Please, just say the word!

Good luck my friend!

driz86
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Get your real priorities straight before ever jointing your cue together. I commend you for that. Good luck and god bless.

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Jay,
We'll be praying for a favorable outcome to this and hopefully, before you know it, you both will be back home in Cali!

I don't want to pry or nib, but I also know that you would never ask. Do you need any help financially? If so, we can get a "AZB freinds of Jay" fundraiser going and I'm 100% certain that you would have many who would help as they can. We can use your PayPal account from your
JayHelfert.com site (http://www.jayhelfert.com/) if you wish. Please, just say the word!

Good luck my friend!

Thanks Terry, but money is not the problem here. Or at least it's not the main problem anyway. I know this will cost me some bucks but I'm prepared for that eventuality.

9-ball B
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Jay, Four weeks ago,our little girl had a case of bronchitis at 6 months,so I have an idea of what you are going through. My wife and I hope that all goes well in bringing her back safely.Looking forward to maybe seeing some pictures of the little one? Take care, Barry

Vahmurka
03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
All good luck to you and your little daughter Jay!

bell
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Mabuti Jay.

You are a good Daddy.

Best of Luck.

jrackman
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Jay good luck to you and your daughter.....Jeff

oldzilla
03-15-2010, 03:01 PM
All the good rolls to Jalo and Jay !:cool:

Roy Steffensen
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks Terry, but money is not the problem here. Or at least it's not the main problem anyway. I know this will cost me some bucks but I'm prepared for that eventuality.

All the best!!!

(If money becomes a problem there is some easy action at One Side, you will probably double up quickly)

Papa Red
03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
It's always good to see where a mans priorities lie, and it is definite where your are by your post. I sincerely hope your daughter is OK and you can bring her home with you. Have a safe trip and keep up posted as to her condition and your task of getting her home.

sizl
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I am pretty sure this goes without saying....but, you are a good man Jay Helfert. I hope everything works out for you and Jalo.
With all due respect, is it Jalo, as in Jay-lo? Or Hay-lo?

akaTrigger
03-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Prayers to help you on your journey, Jay. We will all be thinking of you and your daughter during this tough time. Please keep us posted!

HouTexPlayer
03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Best wishes to you and your daughter - I hope that everything goes the way you hope for and you're able to bring her back.

JimS
03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
This is a very cool thing to do Jay. I knew I liked you! Hang in.

jay helfert
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I am pretty sure this goes without saying....but, you are a good man Jay Helfert. I hope everything works out for you and Jalo.
With all due respect, is it Jalo, as in Jay-lo? Or Hay-lo?

Jalo as in "J Lo", the actress/singer. We named Jalo after her, but added an 'a' for clarity. My GF Bunny is also sometimes called "Little J Lo" by her friends because she has a big butt and a slight resemblance to the singer.

smokey
03-15-2010, 04:53 PM

you are amazing to me...

why?

because there is nothing i admire more than unshielded honesty

this thread is clearly that

and for the record, i have only been around here a few years. i don't say much. i did more when smorgie was here to bring his humor to all the ills of azb [imo]. but now, i don't have anything to offer really, however i will say this...

to me: you are one of the GREATS of POOL and AZB

i really enjoy tapping you on the shoulder just to say 'hi' at the tournaments here and enjoy your company for a time. and also, watching you work the tournaments too.

i said what i wanted to say for a long time, but i want to add now...

i wish you Best of Luck for what you need to accomplish in the Pi for Jalo and your kind heart

have a Good Ride my friend...

and Best to you,
smokey

jay helfert
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I am here now after a VERY long trip. Bunny and Jalo came to my hotel. I was SOOOO happy to see my little baby. She is fat and healthy Thank God! She didn't remember me at first but after a while started to warm up to Papa. We went shopping for supplies and I bought the store out. :smile:

I feel so much better right now, without a thought about the task ahead. My baby is healthy and that is the most important thing in the world to me. Tomorrow we get new passport photos and head to the Embassy.

I bought a wading pool for the neighborhood kids and they are all playing in it as I write this. The smiling faces and laughter made me feel great. It's all worth it now. Somehow all the anxiety has melted away. Jalo is fine and I'm elated. I'm in my second home with my second family.

Thank you, Thank you for all your support! I'll keep you posted. Heck, I feel like playing pool tonight. There is a big room near my hotel called Players. I don't think I could miss a ball right now!

DogsPlayingPool
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
That's the best news I've heard all day, Jay. I'm also glad that your trip was safe and that you hopefully will be reporting in to let us know about your progress. We are all thinking of you and your baby girl. :smile:

cyrex
03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Have safe travels Jay and glad you're with your family and all are healthy. You take care of our future US Open champ now! :smile:

JimS
03-17-2010, 04:02 AM
I am here now after a VERY long trip. Bunny and Jalo came to my hotel. I was SOOOO happy to see my little baby. She is fat and healthy Thank God! She didn't remember me at first but after a while started to warm up to Papa. We went shopping for supplies and I bought the store out. :smile:

I feel so much better right now, without a thought about the task ahead. My baby is healthy and that is the most important thing in the world to me. Tomorrow we get new passport photos and head to the Embassy.

I bought a wading pool for the neighborhood kids and they are all playing in it as I write this. The smiling faces and laughter made me feel great. It's all worth it now. Somehow all the anxiety has melted away. Jalo is fine and I'm elated. I'm in my second home with my second family.

Thank you, Thank you for all your support! I'll keep you posted. Heck, I feel like playing pool tonight. There is a big room near my hotel called Players. I don't think I could miss a ball right now!

Love DOES make the world go 'round. Whodathunkit? :groucho:

You sound genuinely happy... happy from the heart. That's good. That's VERY good. ;):smile:

justadub
03-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Great news, very glad to hear it.

Good luck at the embassy.

putt-putt44
03-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Knock 'em dead Jay,, You're the King and your family is Royalty,,,,,,!!

avmaster
03-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Good luck Jay. Should go well for you.

Mr. J
03-17-2010, 05:32 AM

Jay, this has got to be the greatest post ever written on AZ....I am so happy for you right now and wish you guys even more luck to come...

your friend,

Jeff

see you soon buddy...in Vegas...

Guerra Cues
03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Jay,
Contact Jeff, AZ name is Masirib5. He just retired there from my neck of the woods and he is an awesome person.

Johnnyt
03-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Happy to hear things are moving along in the positive. Great news that your little girl is healthy. Looking forward to reading a positive and happy outcome when this is done. Johnnyt

CocoboloCowboy
03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Keep us post on your progress Jay.

Renegade
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Great news, Jay! Now you're a papa to all those neighborhood kids. :)

I feel sorry for all the players in Players right now. They'll never know what hit 'em!

cuesmith
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Yeah, that flight is a long one! I think I spent 23 hours (each way) in the air on my last trip to the Philippines. But it's sure worth the trip.

I'm glad that things aren't as bad as you seemed to feel on your first post. I know that helpless feeling when you're 8,000 miles away from loved ones who you feel are in a bad situation, and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do but throw money at the problem. I got really fed up with Western Union charges too. lol

I don't know if you know Linds. He's cuemaker and pool table manufacturer and IIRC he's in Cubao. He's also a regular on AZ Billiards. He was a very close friend to Sir Edwin Reyes. He's also a great guy who loves the sport and the players. If you get a chance to look him up, it would be to your advantage. He knows the PI pool scene better than anyone I know and would probably be happy to steer you. He's been a great friend to me for several years.

Hope all goes well and of course if theres anything you need, let me know. I do have a good friend who's a judge in Cebu if you need any legal help.

Sherm

JoeyA
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Good luck in your quest, Jay. It is a noble one and one that I respect.
JoeyA

KoolKat9Lives
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
...snip...
I don't know if you know Linds. He's cuemaker and pool table manufacturer and IIRC he's in Cubao. Sherm

I'd betcha Jay probably knows Linds' favorite pair of shoes! ;)

Glad to see you smiling like the cheshire cat Jay. You're a very blessed man, and you are reaping part of what you've sewn. Super awesome deed getting a pool for the neighborhood kids. You must feel like royalty there with such welcoming warm people. Enjoy!

KK9 <-- encouraging Jay to get into the pool scene there and offer up some more great stories, insights and pic's

smokey
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM

all i want to say is, whoops, it was already said by Mr. J...

Jay, this has got to be the greatest post ever written on AZ....I am so happy for you right now and wish you guys even more luck to come...

your friend,

Jeff

see you soon buddy...in Vegas...

i will just add...

jay, that was "THE" "PERFECT POST"

a good way for all of us to start the day, tks,
smokey

Fast Lenny
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Glad things are going good, in life the most important thing is family. :smile:

poolhustler
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Jay,
Contact Jeff, AZ name is Masirib5. He just retired there from my neck of the woods and he is an awesome person.

Great news Jay!! Glad to hear that all is well....Phhheewwww!!

Jeff mentined above is a super nice guy. He is in Makati. Hit him up and play some pool!

pulzcul
03-17-2010, 11:54 AM
God bless Jay:angel2:

boradriver
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM

glad to hear things are going well and you baby girl is healthy.

3RAILKICK
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
you are amazing to me...

why?

because there is nothing i admire more than unshielded honesty

this thread is clearly that

and for the record, i have only been around here a few years. i don't say much. i did more when smorgie was here to bring his humor to all the ills of azb [imo]. but now, i don't have anything to offer really, however i will say this...

to me: you are one of the GREATS of POOL and AZB

i really enjoy tapping you on the shoulder just to say 'hi' at the tournaments here and enjoy your company for a time. and also, watching you work the tournaments too.

i said what i wanted to say for a long time, but i want to add now...

i wish you Best of Luck for what you need to accomplish in the Pi for Jalo and your kind heart

have a Good Ride my friend...

and Best to you,
smokey

Smokey-

thanks for saying so well what so many of us here think about Jay-he's the real deal and for sure one of the good guys around this game-or any other.

Take care

3railkick

MikeM
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Wow, this post made my day.:D There's nothing like the love of a little baby girl to melt Papa's stress away. I can see those kids playing in the pool too! If only we all could be made happy so easily.:smile:

Best wishes Jay for a safe and happy return home for you and Jalo.

Mike

steveinflorida
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Jay, I want to wish you good luck. Get her here in America where she belongs.
Your old friend, Steve

Underclocked
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Jay, I wish you and Jalo all the best and hope that you are successful bringing your baby home. She'll be in good hands.

jay helfert
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
You guys are the GREATEST! I'm so fortunate to know all of you! I feel blessed with my AZ family. Last night I crashed about ten and slept for 12 hours straight. I woke up well rested and went out to get some breakfast for Bunny, Jalo and me. I also bought a couple of toys for Jalo. A little talking Spongebob, which she won't let go of, and a soap bubble thing. She went crazy when I started blowing big bubbles her way. We must have played together for over an hour and her laughter fills my heart with joy. I'm a very lucky man today and I know it. Just to see her healthy after such a close call only a few short weeks ago. That's enough for me.

Traffic is a nightmare and we got stuck in a cab for more than an hour, trying to go only a few miles. The line for passport photos was another long, long wait. I'm on filipino time now so no need to try to hurry. The Embassy isn't going anywhere and it can wait. I'm enjoying myself too much right now, but I've told Bunny that we MUST get Jalo her American passport. That alone makes her a U.S. citizen, and free to travel abroad. It is also an opportunity for Bunny to come along. Much easier for her to get a Visa if she has an American child. We are on the same page, thank God.

Once again the filipino people are wonderful, so friendly and accommodating. It's funny that I'm more concerned about dealing with Americans working in the Embassy. They have a lot of power over here to help you or hurt you. I'm kind of at their mercy. There is no where else to go to prove Jalo's citizenship. But I will soon find out if this is going to continue to go smoothly or not. I doubt they are open on the weekend so I will try to get in there tomorrow if I don't need an appointment. I have lots of paperwork yet to fill out because I have questions that need answers.

Thanks again all. I'll keep you posted. My Jalo odyssey has just begun.

junkbond
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Very happy to hear things are going well, Jay.
Sounds like the pool gods are smiling on you and little Jalo.
Good luck.

JimS
03-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Being a real dad and providing real love is THE most important thing a man can do in his life. That's the one thing that makes the world a better place and that's what we all should be trying to do... one person at a time making another person feel loved. That is the only thing in life that is truly important.

blackpearlmaker
03-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Welcome to the Philippines!!!!
Wish you happy and luck to you and your family.

More powers,
Al

CocoboloCowboy
03-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Keep the report of your progress coming Jay, it should like you have made some headway to getting your family to the USA.

Russ Chewning
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Jay,

So at this time, are you playing on bring your bebe back to the US, or just getting her a US passport "just in case"?

Russ

jay helfert
03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Jay,

So at this time, are you playing on bring your bebe back to the US, or just getting her a US passport "just in case"?

Russ

Russ, my plan remains the same. I want to bring Jalo to live in the USA. She is very attached to her mother, so it will be better if she comes also. Jalo has a large extended family here, many little cousins who dote on her. I am taking photos and will post a few when I return. Now that I am here and see the situation for myself I don't feel the urgency I did. My goal this trip is to get Jalo her U.S. passport. That is the big step to getting her home with me. It is up to Bunny to get her Philippine passport, which she does not have yet. With an American child, getting her visa will not be as hard I am told.

Yesterday I was riding a jeepney and saw a small poolroom on the street (Arnaiz) in Pasay. I told the driver to stop and I walked over to the room, which was open to the outside. They had two Kangeroo tables, a common brand here. Very fast worn cloth and some sketchy rolls. I said I wanted to play someone and they got the owner for me. In these little places it is almost always the owner who plays the best. It was stifling hot and I was sweating up a storm but happy to have a game. I borrowed a cue and we began with some Rotation. No surprise here. It is 10p a game, with no bet yet. I'm sure you all know how difficult it is to adapt to a strange table and playing with a strange cue. But I was up for the challenge. I love to test myself.

The owner (Randy) was a short fat guy who played extremely well on his tables. I tried to outsmart and outmove him but I just couldn't get the speed down. He moved the cue ball very well and beat me 5-2 playing Rotation. Then we played 9-Ball and it was more of the same. Another 5-2 loss. By the way, the little poolroom was packed inside and outside with people watching the game, laughing and joking. When I did manage to win a game they cheered me. It was obvious Randy was THE MAN in Pasay.

After this I was feeling thoroughly beaten. It was clear I had no chance playing this guy any rotation game. I was wishing I brought my cue now. But at least I knew not to gamble with him. I'm sure he would have been willing. I still had the nerve to tell him I thought there were two games he couldn't beat me at. He just smiled at me. I told him we could play some One Pocket or some Banks. I told him his countryman Efren was the best in the world at One Pocket, so I knew he could play. He refused, but seemed interested in Banks, since he was making most of his in the earlier games. I explained short rack banks to him and he agreed to a game. This was a totally different story now. I was in control and he was the fish out of water. The table banked really long but I knew that already. I banked two my first turn and started feeling confident. He got one back, and I got a one and then a two to win in about seven or eight innings. I was right. He couldn't win at this game. He was a little embarrassed now in front of his crew, so he did the logical thing. He quit.

I had stripped down to my shorts with no shirt or shoes to play. It is the most comfortable way to play in this heat. Truly old school pool! I felt right at home. Randy was (un)dressed just like me. When we got done with the Banks, I got dressed and paid him for the ten games I lost (100p) and took off. Before leaving I told them I would be back. I made some new friends in that little room yesterday. I feel like I want to play in every little room like this in Manila. I might need another fifty years though. There must be literally thousands of them in this huge city.

yobagua
03-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Jay, the nite before you left, you Greg Sullivan and I had a chat. We talked a lot about helping some guys out but you never mentioned your own dilemma. I wish you had. We have a mutual friend who is touring with Manny Pacquiao. Danny P.
They are good friends.
Manny has left for Manila after his fight in Texas. Danny will be there soon. He also has a young child in Cebu. If you like I can get Danny to get in touch with you. Maybe his relationship with Manny can help facilitate things faster for you. Let me know.
Keone

JimS
03-19-2010, 04:09 AM
I try to imagine what it must be like in a city like that but I have no experiential foundation from which to form any kind of real feeling for it. Never been in tropical conditions. But your stories do form a picture for me. Thanks.

Jalo/Bunny/you are all in a tough position. The family and love where she is vs. the opportunities of the states and life with you. Such a push/pull situation.

pulzcul
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
I was in the navy in 69-70,based in Alongapo. I know about the heat over there. It was quite a "culture shock" for a kid from Montana. Thanks for the posts Jay. Glad to hear good news.

blackpearlmaker
03-19-2010, 08:12 AM
There must be literally thousands of them in this huge city.

Jay, your right. If you want to have a long story on the game of pool, then you are on the right place my friend. I know that place in Arnaiz. I'm glad that you enjoy here in my country. I know its hard for you, specially the condition of the weather, its to hot here right now..My fellow countrymen suffers very severe drought.
All are wishing to have a rain..:grin-square:..
Anyway, good luck to your journey.
More power and God Bless

Al

CocoboloCowboy
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Keep the great stories coming Jay, & work on you mission to bring you family back the the USA, and good luck to you.

pt109
03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I had stripped down to my shorts with no shirt or shoes to play. It is the most comfortable way to play in this heat. Truly old school pool! I felt right at home. Randy was (un)dressed just like me. When we got done with the Banks, I got dressed and paid him for the ten games I lost (100p) and took off. Before leaving I told them I would be back. I made some new friends in that little room yesterday. I feel like I want to play in every little room like this in Manila. I might need another fifty years though. There must be literally thousands of them in this huge city.

Surprise! You would find new friends on an asteroid.
I hope everthing works out with Jalo.She's acquiring a lot
of god-parents on AZ.
By the way....i'm curious....when you play in the fresh air....
do you get better at out-side english?

jay helfert
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Jay, the nite before you left, you Greg Sullivan and I had a chat. We talked a lot about helping some guys out but you never mentioned your own dilemma. I wish you had. We have a mutual friend who is touring with Manny Pacquiao. Danny P.
They are good friends.
Manny has left for Manila after his fight in Texas. Danny will be there soon. He also has a young child in Cebu. If you like I can get Danny to get in touch with you. Maybe his relationship with Manny can help facilitate things faster for you. Let me know.
Keone

Thanks Keone, friends with influence can make all the difference over here. Please give Danny my e-mail address.

Yes, it is hot here but not as bad as Las Vegas in Summer. The traffic situation is like being in one continuous race with everyone vying for position at all times. It seems like there should be an accident every other minute but somehow at the last moment they avoid a collision. If there were "road rage" over here they would all kill each other.

Today we filled out the long application for Jalo's passport and make an appt. at the Embassy for Monday. I have my fingers crossed now. Then I returned to the little two table room on Arnaiz. I brought my Brad scuffer and some scotch brite. Handy tools to have. I borrowed the same cue again but this time I worked the tip, so I could use english and not have to worry about a miscue. I smoothed the shaft with the scotch brite so it was now easy to stroke the cue.

Best of all Randy had the day off, so I took on the other top players there, one after another. None of them play Randy's speed but they still are okay players. Like good amateurs in the USA. I started out playing Rotation with the first two guys but I had a new plan. The move in this game if you don't have a good shot is to try and get action on as many balls as possible, and try to luck something in. This strategy works for me and I begin winning one game after another. I am not betting anything but playing free pool. Loser pays for the rack here. I win maybe ten out of eleven games with the first guy and now a new player comes in. I am getting in a nice stroke and have the feel of the table, something I couldn't do yesterday. Funny how when you are not shooting it's hard to get loose. Today I'm loose and making balls. I can see the banks and the pockets look big. Every time I fire one in they oooh and aaah. Too cool for school!

Second guy same thing. We play maybe fourteen of fifteen games and he wins two. Now it is the houseman who wants to play. He has been talking to me all day. "How old are you? How long have you been playing pool?" Stuff like that. Now he asks me if I know Ten Ball. Sure I say so he racks up nine balls. Ha Ha. 9-Ball seems easy after a couple of hours of Rotation. This ain't no Diamond either and I'm running out pretty good. I beat him so many games I lost count. All I know is that after three plus hours of play, I have lost four games total. I owe the house 40p. Bunny comes with Jalo and she wants to go for a walk using our new little bike trike I bought for Jalo. The little darling loves riding in that thing. Much more fun than a stroller for sure.

We go to Mall Of Asia. It's HUGE, bigger than any mall in America and crowded too. A lot of upscale stores as well, so there are some people who have money in Manila. We walk for an hour or so and stop at the food court. I tell Bunny I'm exhausted so thankfully we head back to my hotel/apartment after we eat. It's only 8:30 but I crash. I wake up several times at night to feed my baby girl. I feel the same as I did 30+ years ago when my first daughter was a baby. I love looking at Jalo, even when she is asleep.

JimS
03-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Maybe you need to buy a ph over there?

CocoboloCowboy
03-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Keep the stories coming Jay they are great.

Katipunan
03-20-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm sure you have been to this US Immigration website, but just in case here it is anyway. Good luck! Hefe

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60a RCRD

linds
03-21-2010, 05:40 AM
I don't know if you know Linds. He's cuemaker and pool table manufacturer and IIRC he's in Cubao. He's also a regular on AZ Billiards. He was a very close friend to Sir Edwin Reyes. He's also a great guy who loves the sport and the players. If you get a chance to look him up, it would be to your advantage. He knows the PI pool scene better than anyone I know and would probably be happy to steer you. He's been a great friend to me for several years.

Hope all goes well and of course if theres anything you need, let me know. I do have a good friend who's a judge in Cebu if you need any legal help.

Sherm

never meet him (jay) personally but been a fan/reader of his post here in AZ...had even confused him to another poster (via PM) :wink:
im happy for him... being a frequent visitor that regularly updates PI pool scene to the world.

sir jay, my wife is from that area too (arnaiz st/formerly libertad st. in pasay city) quite congested due to the public market/jeepney-bus terminals... who knows, we might bump one another threre?

POCKETWOLF
03-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Best of luck, it is very honorable of you.

Fatboy
03-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I like reading Jays stories of the PI, I played in Mexico in alot of pool rooms for small $$$, maybe the most ever was $10USD, I could tell the guy was stressed. I let him win. Usually I would buy everyone beers including me and play just good enough to win. The equipment was so bad most places that it was a cointoss who was going to win. I did run into better players but never lost more than $10USD. Gosh thats been along time ago it was from 85-91 many trips to South of the boarder.

Jay's stroies reminded me of that, its such a relaxed life. thats what I need to get back to before I die from heart problems.

thanks for the stories Jay and helping me remember mine. man its funny how you lose something in your brain and then something else wakes it up.

be safe over there-especially at the airport comming home. I will be in LA about the time you get back.

best

Fatboy

jay helfert
03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Took the weekend off for some more pool and poker. I do have a fila phone by the way. Interesting I can call the USA from here. No monthly programs here, you just buy "loads." Most everyone texts over here, the load lasts much longer this way. Talking is too expensive.

On Saturday I am on a small side street and we spot a one table room. But first a description of traffic on the side streets. Everyone walks the street with seeming impunity. They barely flinch as cars and motor trikes speed by. This is true even on the main streets. It is as if they assume the drivers will stop or veer to avoid hitting them. Somehow no one gets hit, at least not too often anyway. Even Bunny carries Jalo down the street defying traffic. I constantly move her over to the side. I know I cannot change this culture. Even small children wander on the street like it is a sidewalk. They wait for a car to honk their horn before moving slightly to the side. Weird huh!

In the small room I quickly get a game with the houseman. Rotation naturally. We play many games and I win most of them. A young man comes in and takes over. He is a good young player. He wins more games than me. He plays good on this triple bum table. It is an older Kangeroo model, similar in appearance to the old Gandy Big G's. But this table wouldn't fly in the USA, no one would play on it. It's that bad! Loose, saggy cloth, a pronounced roll to one side and inconsistent rails. For those who are unhappy with less than stellar conditions I would suggest pool in the Philippines is not for you.

But for an old horse like me, I am glad to be playing and have a good game to play. Pool remains a challenge for me after all these years. It is a test of your mental and physical abilities. Good for your mind and body. Why do you think you see pool tables in nearly every Senior citizen center?

I finally quit the youngster and tell him I think there is one game he cannot beat me at. He's interested, so I explain Bank Pool to him. We rack up nine balls and I let him break. He makes a ball and naturally wants to shoot at the one ball. I tell him he can shoot any ball so he does and soon it is three to minus one his favor. Will I lose at Banks too? I run a three and the small crowd applauds me. They think it is now 3-3, but I spot a ball and tell the youngster he is still ahead 3-2. I end up winning this game 5-3. I can save face a little.

Bunny, Jalo and I go to the jeepney stop to catch the jeepney to my hotel. It is near the first poolroom on Arnaiz where I have played twice. The man selling tickets says to me "Any Billar today?" He had seen me play before. Another man chimes in, "Who do you play now?" I tell them no more pool today, I am with my family. When we get on the jeepney the guy taking the tokens looks at me and says only "Billar." I am a known player in Pasay City. Cool!

On Saturday night I play poker at the Heritage Hotel. A fairly big game, 10,000p buy-in (about $225). I play for hours and win 9,000p. My first score this trip. I picked up today's paper and see a big story about Busta winning the Japan Open. He wins about $15,000 for first, beating Efren in the finals. After all these years, they are still two of the best! Paquiao returned yesterday to a huge parade and celebration. He is on the front page posing with the President, a national hero. I will go to One Side tonight, they may all be there. That is their hang out in Manila. Mine too.

I have a feeling this week I will be going to the Embassy every day.

CocoboloCowboy
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Keep the stories coming Jay some of the best stuff on AZB lately.

jay helfert
03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I went to the U.S. Embassy today at 7 AM. My third trip there. Only a one hour wait this time. It is a cumbersome process that people tell me can take months. They dole out a little information at a time. I fill out the application form and they tell me I need to fill out another form. And so on and so on. But I'm persistent. Jalo will get her passport!

I did get to visit One Side last night. No Bata, no Django, No Paquiao. Just me swimming with the sharks. The owner tries to match me up in a "friendly" game he says. But when we rack the balls the young fellow says how about 500p a game. I tell him okay but we are playing One Pocket or Banks. No game! Then another sharpshooter comes in. One of the "unknown" filipino champions, who has never visited our shores. I don't remember his name but I know he is a serious player. He says he will play me One Pocket. So off we go for 500p, only about $11. Not too serious but I want to gauge his speed.

I am one game ahead and he quits the One Pocket. I won the last game 8-1 and he realizes that he knows little about this game. Now he asks me again to play 9-Ball or Ten Ball. No way I say. He's dying to get in my pocket, so he agrees to Banks. We play short rack and I win at first. Then he finds his game and begins to get comfortable. He is one game ahead when I quit. This young man has a little too much firepower for me. He asks to play for 1,000p and I tell him maybe later. I have to go now because I'm going to the Embassy very early in the morning.

I've been here one week, two more to go. I really want to accomplish my task before I head back. Jalo will be a U.S. citizen and I can bring her here to live. Maybe not this trip but next time for sure. That would be great. Her mother (Bunny) is being very co-operative. She knows this is her best chance as well.

Neil
03-23-2010, 08:58 PM

DogsPlayingPool
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted "Billar"! You are matching up with a world class bureaucracy and hanging in there. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, my friend. :thumbup:

JoeyA
03-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I went to the U.S. Embassy today at 7 AM. My third trip there. Only a one hour wait this time. It is a cumbersome process that people tell me can take months. They dole out a little information at a time. I fill out the application form and they tell me I need to fill out another form. And so on and so on. But I'm persistent. Jalo will get her passport!

I did get to visit One Side last night. No Bata, no Django, No Paquiao. Just me swimming with the sharks. The owner tries to match me up in a "friendly" game he says. But when we rack the balls the young fellow says how about 500p a game. I tell him okay but we are playing One Pocket or Banks. No game! Then another sharpshooter comes in. One of the "unknown" filipino champions, who has never visited our shores. I don't remember his name but I know he is a serious player. He says he will play me One Pocket. So off we go for 500p, only about $11. Not too serious but I want to gauge his speed.

I am one game ahead and he quits the One Pocket. I won the last game 8-1 and he realizes that he knows little about this game. Now he asks me again to play 9-Ball or Ten Ball. No way I say. He's dying to get in my pocket, so he agrees to Banks. We play short rack and I win at first. Then he finds his game and begins to get comfortable. He is one game ahead when I quit. This young man has a little too much firepower for me. He asks to play for 1,000p and I tell him maybe later. I have to go now because I'm going to the Embassy very early in the morning.

I've been here one week, two more to go. I really want to accomplish my task before I head back. Jalo will be a U.S. citizen and I can bring her here to live. Maybe not this trip but next time for sure. That would be great. Her mother (Bunny) is being very co-operative. She knows this is her best chance as well.

Don't let those Filipinos high roll you Jay. Send it in!
JoeyA

TorranceChris
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Jay, best of luck in your endeavour with Jalo. Glad that Bunny is being amicable with your plan to better the family's life. Your stories of the Phillipines interest me to no end; I am tempted to possibly go one day soon. :p

JimS
03-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Glad to see you're hanging tough Jay.

Russ Chewning
03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Jay,

When I was in Iraq, I would get 2 weeks vacation every 6 months, and when I travelled back to the U.S., there was always at least a 36 hour layover in Kuwait for visa purposes.

I had found two tables in the basement of a mall in Kuwait city, where a bunch of Filipinos gamble all the time, My last trip back through, I got matched up with one of Kuwait City's "second tier" players for a $40 race to 3, and I murdalized him in Rotation, getting out in two innings in the first game.

One thing I realized on that trip... Filipinos do NOT like losing at Rotation for money to an American!!!

:D :D :D

Russ

avmaster
03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Great stuff Jay, thanks for keeping us all in the loop..... sounds as if you have everything under control, but let us know if you need anything....:)

junkbond
03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
So off we go for 500p, only about $11.
The last time I was in the PI, 500p was worth about $130. Long time ago.

Very happy that things are going well with Jalo's passport and that you are having a good time on the tables, Jay. Hang in there, buddy.

CocoboloCowboy
03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Keep the stories of your adventure coming Jay. Thanks for keep intouch, and good luck.

jay helfert
03-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Jalo's application was accepted today! Now we wait for the appointment to prove we are in fact Jalo's natural parents. I'm armed with lots of proof including a photographic history. It's a waiting game over here (they call it 'filipino time') and you must have patience or you will go crazy. The more difficult it becomes the more focused I am on bringing Jalo to America.

This is the "third world" here and lover's of the good life might find it unacceptable. For me I prefer the hardscrabble life in Manila to New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris and Tokyo, with all their affluence. There is something very real and unfiltered here. No pretense anywhere to be found. It's like being in Vegas in the 60's, anything goes! Or maybe the old West in the 19th century. You must stay on your toes here or you will get pushed aside.

For an old rounder like me, I somehow feel at home. Every day here is a little bit of a gamble. I went out the other night to a small restaurant/nightclub. The young gals working there were beautiful little foxes. All in their early 20's, and totally unspoiled. For a girl from the provinces this was a dream job. I asked them if they had ever met an American man. No they replied. I want to play the matchmaker now. I'd love to introduce some of my young AZ buddies to these sweet young things. Okay EasyE, Deadpoked, Derek Disco and Chris B. I'm talking about you. I got all their e-mail addresses for you. Just send me a PM if you're interested. If you connect with one of them, you can come back with me on my next trip. Chris B. you would love it here. Great gals and loads of good players. Not all champions either. You can play all day and all night and no one will ever ask you for a spot.

This offer goes for you to Torrance Chris.

CocoboloCowboy
03-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Great story Jay keep em coming.

Island Drive
03-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Heard this am two 6.0 earthquakes in the Phillipines....hope Jay and family are ok.

CocoboloCowboy
03-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Heard this am two 6.0 earthquakes in the Phillipines....hope Jay and family are ok.

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978128633

http://www.worldbuzznow.com/manila-earthquake-philippines-earthquake-news-update/3071

Kuroky
03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
It's ok. I believe it was just Intensity 4. You'll feel shaking, but hardly anything falls down. No one died.

jay helfert
03-26-2010, 01:04 AM
This was a minor quake with no damage or injuries reported. I went to Angeles for the weekend. There are actually cue shops here catering to all the local players. I bought a "Mario" cue for 2,500p (less than $60). A good straight cue that I can leave here in the PI. Mario passed away last year so these are the last of his cues. Seems every cuemaker in Angeles has a photo on the wall of them posing with Efren. He is a native son of Angeles.

I looked high and low for a money game last night to no avail. All fun and games here. But there are a couple of poker rooms. I will change hats tonite and go into poker mode.

One other interesting thing here. I see pool on television every day! It is a major sport on TV here (and all over Asia as well). It's kind of fun to turn on TV and see a match that I'm doing commentary on. In the last week, I have watched the 2009 World Ten Ball, the 2009 U.S. Open and the 2009 Mosconi Cup. All on ESPN Star or Solar Sports, major networks with large audiences.

At One Side I am recognized as the Announcer of pool on TV, not as a competent player. In the past my gambling here consisted mainly of side betting on big matches. On this trip I feel like playing a little bit myself. I've been playing fairly steadily since January, so I have some confidence in my game. It's the first time I've felt half way in stroke in two years. Sad to say it looks like the only action I will get is with the unknown "Godzillas" who hang out at One Side. These are young guys who are willing to play Shane EVEN! Ouch!

I'm still willing to play them One Pocket. That is how complicated the game is. With no knowledge of how to play, you can be a great player and lose to a One Pocket shortstop. Like me :cool:.

avmaster
03-26-2010, 04:03 AM
This was a minor quake with no damage or injuries reported. I went to Angeles for the weekend. There are actually cue shops here catering to all the local players. I bought a "Mario" cue for 2,500p (less than $60). A good straight cue that I can leave here in the PI. Mario passed away last year so these are the last of his cues. Seems every cuemaker in Angeles has a photo on the wall of them posing with Efren. He is a native son of Angeles.

I looked high and low for a money game last night to no avail. All fun and games here. But there are a couple of poker rooms. I will change hats tonite and go into poker mode.

One other interesting thing here. I see pool on television every day! It is a major sport on TV here (and all over Asia as well). It's kind of fun to turn on TV and see a match that I'm doing commentary on. In the last week, I have watched the 2009 World Ten Ball, the 2009 U.S. Open and the 2009 Mosconi Cup. All on ESPN Star or Solar Sports, major networks with large audiences.

At One Side I am recognized as the Announcer of pool on TV, not as a competent player. In the past my gambling here consisted mainly of side betting on big matches. On this trip I feel like playing a little bit myself. I've been playing fairly steadily since January, so I have some confidence in my game. It's the first time I've felt half way in stroke in two years. Sad to say it looks like the only action I will get is with the unknown "Godzillas" who hang out at One Side. These are young guys who are willing to play Shane EVEN! Ouch!

I'm still willing to play them One Pocket. That is how complicated the game is. With no knowledge of how to play, you can be a great player and lose to a One Pocket shortstop. Like me :cool:.

Great stuff Jay... one pocket shortstop.... cute....;)

Island Drive
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Great stuff Jay... one pocket shortstop.... cute....;)

Yep, Jay sometimes brings out his Mini "Underdog" character that Dave Chartier coined years ago in the Los Angeles area....:) Have a good trip back Jay.

jay helfert
03-27-2010, 12:47 AM
There are road men in the Philippines who rarely if ever play in tournaments. I ran into two of them last night in a bar in Angeles. There was a game going on for 20,000p between two weak players. It was a grudge match, but attracted a crowd, including me, because of the size of the bet (about $450).

I let people in the bar know that I was looking for action at either One Pocket or Bank Pool. Pretty soon I am introduced to Jo-el and Ray Ray, "visitors" to Angeles from another province. They are hesitant at first, preferring to play 9-Ball or Ten Ball. I insist on One Pocket or Banks and following the match in progress Ray Ray agress to play me Banks for 500p a game. 500-1,000p ($11-22) is a hustlers game of pool over here, comparable to playing for $50-100 in the states.

But at the last moment it is decided that Jo-el will play me 500p a game One Pocket. Okay by me. He has his own cue naturally and I'm playing with my new wood that I don't feel comfortable with yet. The shaft is too thick (over 13mm) and the tip is still not right. I win the first two games anyway, but then he kicks it into gear and NEVER misses another ball he shoots at the rest of the night. Long shots, banks, combos, everything is swishing the hole. When he gets a shot he breaks the rack wide open. I can out move him, but he has way too much firepower for me. I call it a night, stuck two games after playing maybe ten games total.

I need to work on this cue and get it right to have a chance. I tell them I am coming back tonite. I will try Ray Ray some Banks, my road game. These two guys would be considered "third tier" players over here, still very solid and highly skilled players. It would take a Jesse Bowman or Chris Bartrum speed player to bring it playing guys like this 9-Ball or Ten Ball. Ray Ray and Jo-el are bonifide hustlers, no one really knows much about them. They came to Angeles looking for action and found me. Singapore Johnny is the one they were looking for, the best player in Angeles. I don't think Johnny can get there with these guys.

In pool it is important to know your own speed. Too many players over rate their game, and it can be costly. I KNOW these guys play a stronger game than me, but I still want to challenge them (and myself), and I know that they are not as comfortable playing "my" games. For this small amount I can risk a few dollars and see what I have left in the tank after forty years of pool wars. I still feel like I can play about 80-90% of my top speed. Of course I would love to have my Josey cue now. That would do wonders for my confidence. Hey, at least I got action! I worked on my tip and took the weight bolt out of my cue. I'm going to go hit some balls and see how it feels. I'm on the road in the Philippines! Wish me luck.

jrackman
03-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Jay, Happy to hear your trip is going good so far and continues too. Hope to see you in Vegas in May.....Jeff

almostgood
03-27-2010, 04:27 AM
hey j good luck just read whole thread think your a man for the way you approach the sit.. alot of dudes here havent evan seen their kids they have in their own home town let alone travel to another country to get 'em. hope jalo is better and good luck with the action. hope to see pics of jalo, bunny,and yourself in the greatest pool playing place of all. stay srong cause we all know you will get what you deserve. best wishes. frank

JimS
03-27-2010, 05:00 AM
I certainly am wishing you luck Jay. But you're a good man with sense, knowledge and experience so luck takes a back seat (still nice to have along for the ride though). In order to give luck some help you might have that shaft turned down some.

CocoboloCowboy
03-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Another great adventure, thanks ffor sharing it Jay.

jay helfert
03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
No pool game last night. My man was a no show. I went to Wild Aces, the biggest poker room in Angeles. Got in a 25p-50p NL game with a 5,000p minimum buy in (the "big game" here). Many players had 20-30,000p in front of them. It was a wild game with four to six players seeing almost every flop. I couldn't pick up a hand or connect when I did. There was money to be won here, but I didn't get any. Played several hours and broke even, finally quitting at 2 AM. A good player could make a nice living off this game. No games like this in the states, anywhere!

Time to return to Manila and Bunny and Jalo. Got my fingers crossed all will go well at the Embassy next week. I haven't forgotten my mission here.

jrackman
03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Jalo's application was accepted today! Now we wait for the appointment to prove we are in fact Jalo's natural parents. I'm armed with lots of proof including a photographic history. It's a waiting game over here (they call it 'filipino time') and you must have patience or you will go crazy. The more difficult it becomes the more focused I am on bringing Jalo to America.

This is the "third world" here and lover's of the good life might find it unacceptable. For me I prefer the hardscrabble life in Manila to New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris and Tokyo, with all their affluence. There is something very real and unfiltered here. No pretense anywhere to be found. It's like being in Vegas in the 60's, anything goes! Or maybe the old West in the 19th century. You must stay on your toes here or you will get pushed aside.

For an old rounder like me, I somehow feel at home. Every day here is a little bit of a gamble. I went out the other night to a small restaurant/nightclub. The young gals working there were beautiful little foxes. All in their early 20's, and totally unspoiled. For a girl from the provinces this was a dream job. I asked them if they had ever met an American man. No they replied. I want to play the matchmaker now. I'd love to introduce some of my young AZ buddies to these sweet young things. Okay EasyE, Deadpoked, Derek Disco and Chris B. I'm talking about you. I got all their e-mail addresses for you. Just send me a PM if you're interested. If you connect with one of them, you can come back with me on my next trip. Chris B. you would love it here. Great gals and loads of good players. Not all champions either. You can play all day and all night and no one will ever ask you for a spot.

This offer goes for you to Torrance Chris. Hey Jay what about us 50ish guys that like the younger ladies (25-40). You know we still have something left in the tank, it might be fumes but its something..lol.. hope you still enjoying your trip......Jeff

CocoboloCowboy
03-28-2010, 07:01 AM
God luck with the REDTAPE people Jay.

Johnnyt
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone hear from Jay? I know he doesn't have to post everyday, but he was. Hope all is well. Johnnyt

avmaster
03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
There are road men in the Philippines who rarely if ever play in tournaments. I ran into two of them last night in a bar in Angeles. There was a game going on for 20,000p between two weak players. It was a grudge match, but attracted a crowd, including me, because of the size of the bet (about $450).

I let people in the bar know that I was looking for action at either One Pocket or Bank Pool. Pretty soon I am introduced to Jo-el and Ray Ray, "visitors" to Angeles from another province. They are hesitant at first, preferring to play 9-Ball or Ten Ball. I insist on One Pocket or Banks and following the match in progress Ray Ray agress to play me Banks for 500p a game. 500-1,000p ($11-22) is a hustlers game of pool over here, comparable to playing for $50-100 in the states.

But at the last moment it is decided that Jo-el will play me 500p a game One Pocket. Okay by me. He has his own cue naturally and I'm playing with my new wood that I don't feel comfortable with yet. The shaft is too thick (over 13mm) and the tip is still not right. I win the first two games anyway, but then he kicks it into gear and NEVER misses another ball he shoots at the rest of the night. Long shots, banks, combos, everything is swishing the hole. When he gets a shot he breaks the rack wide open. I can out move him, but he has way too much firepower for me. I call it a night, stuck two games after playing maybe ten games total.

I need to work on this cue and get it right to have a chance. I tell them I am coming back tonite. I will try Ray Ray some Banks, my road game. These two guys would be considered "third tier" players over here, still very solid and highly skilled players. It would take a Jesse Bowman or Chris Bartrum speed player to bring it playing guys like this 9-Ball or Ten Ball. Ray Ray and Jo-el are bonifide hustlers, no one really knows much about them. They came to Angeles looking for action and found me. Singapore Johnny is the one they were looking for, the best player in Angeles. I don't think Johnny can get there with these guys.

In pool it is important to know your own speed. Too many players over rate their game, and it can be costly. I KNOW these guys play a stronger game than me, but I still want to challenge them (and myself), and I know that they are not as comfortable playing "my" games. For this small amount I can risk a few dollars and see what I have left in the tank after forty years of pool wars. I still feel like I can play about 80-90% of my top speed. Of course I would love to have my Josey cue now. That would do wonders for my confidence. Hey, at least I got action! I worked on my tip and took the weight bolt out of my cue. I'm going to go hit some balls and see how it feels. I'm on the road in the Philippines! Wish me luck.

I don't think luck applys in your case Jay, but certainly can't hurt. I'm with you on knowing your own speed... years back I got a little full of myself and ended up holding my arse in my hands with an empty pocket.... learned some humility from that..... You go get these guys... let us know how it plays out. Hope all is working out on your Daughter.....

Rick <avmasterr>

CocoboloCowboy
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Jay mentioned have to do the EMBASSY thing today, you know standing in line for hours, and feeling like a Hamster on a Wheel, Jumping Threw Hoops like a Circue Performor to make some GS something HAPPY....

jay helfert
03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey Jay what about us 50ish guys that like the younger ladies (25-40). You know we still have something left in the tank, it might be fumes but its something..lol.. hope you still enjoying your trip......Jeff

There are lots of young beauties in the 25-30 age range that would LOVE to meet you! They love American men over here. That's why you see so many retired guys who have relocated to the PI. The saying in Angeles is, "It's a tough life but someone has to do it." Meaning the sheer magnitude of young available women makes chosing a difficult thing to do.

I go in the pool bars looking for games, but my head gets turned in every one of them. They really respond to a guy who can play pool and hold the table. The kind of girls who would look right thru you in the states give you the once over here.

The really young ones (18-22) appear a little too young for me and I would think for most middle aged guys. But not always. I have seen 60ish men with 20ish women. I like em young too but not quite that young. I've gone in bars full of teenagers and they look like babies to me. But a 25-35 year old is a WOMAN! Many of the gals this age already have a child.

jay helfert
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I traded my cheap cue for a much better one. It will take time to get used to, but this is a good cue made by a guy who calls himself "Boy". A comparable cue would probably go for $3-500 in the USA. I got it for about $135 total, with my trade of the other cue. He wanted $200 for this cue but took mine in trade.

I practiced with it two days ago in Angeles - no money games. I hung out with my buddy Ted Lerner, who does commentary on the pool tournaments over here. We have worked together on a couple of them. If you watch the Golf Channel, his brother is Rich Lerner who does many of the interviews with top golfers. Ted took me to the Lewis-Grand Hotel in Angeles, an absolute palace - rooms available for $70 a day! This would be a $3-400 a night place in the states.

We were NOT guests of the hotel but they let us use the wonderful pool area anyway. We even had our own cabana. All they expect you to do is order drinks and food, which we did. I had a great burger, fries and a drink for about $8. And spent the afternoon lounging by the pool and ogling the tan beauties. Who all smiled back at me by the way. Like I said, it's a tough life.

Yesterday I had to go back into Manila to be ready for the all important appointment at the U.S. Embassy. It is only about 50 miles, but I took a Trike, two buses, a Jeepney and another Trike to get home. Total cost of travel, about $7! Took me two and half hours to travel that short distance though. DON'T be in a hurry over here. You need lots of patience on filipino time.

I was tired after that and hung out at Bunny's home for a couple of hours (she lives with her grandma - and about 6-8 other relatives). After that I was ready to go back to my hotel. Unfortunately, there is the local Kangeroo poolroom on the way, and I just had to stop and see what's up.

Continued below

CocoboloCowboy
03-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Jay maybe you could be like a Yiddish Matchmaker, and do tours to the Philippines 3, or 4 times a year to supplement your travel expenses to visit your family. Think you would look great in a Yamaka...LOLhttp://i.ehow.com/images/a04/ma/81/why-do-jews-wear-yamaka-800X800.jpg

NaturalEnglish
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Jay...

I was in AC last month. Did you happen to visit Paradise bar? Open area bar with a table and a lot of action in the afternoon. I never saw any gambling there tho. The table is a challenge table. Several times I have held the table for several hours...but it never fails someone will come in and shoot lights out and now you have to wait your turn to get another chance at the new table holder. There is a short pinoy guy that plays there sometimes, must be about 4' 8". He can shoot! I beat him a couple of times, but he knows how to play those PI tables. Forget the slow rolls eh? Cloth like my grandma's pajamas. Heat, humidity...need I say more? haha

This trip I took my 3 piece travel cue Sheldon Lebow made for me. Nice to have my own cue! On the last day I used it to break...and I broke the cue :mad:

Well Sheldon repaired it for me after I got home and I wont be using it to break with again. Dumb I know. Would have been great to meet you there in ac.

Ingat Jay!

jay helfert
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
The internet went down during my last post. Here is the rest of the story.

A few guys greeted me when I came in. There were two money games going on in the little poolroom. On one table Randy (the owner and a very good player) was playing someone and two younger guys were on the front table. Someone asked me if I wanted to play and I said sure, The two guys in front were playing a Race To Three (Rotation) for 300p. Much smaller games here than in Angeles but just as serious to the participants.

I waited patiently until one guy won (it was 1-1 when I came in). Then the winner agreed to play me for 50p or a 100p a game. I said okay 100p a game is fine with me. The house man racks the balls and he wins the flip. Before he breaks he tells me only 50p a game. I have a rep in this joint. I want to play some more with my new cue. I know it will take time to get the feel of it, so I need to play. Any bet is fine with me.

I win the first three games using the strategy of banging balls early in the rack. I figured out that the last six balls (10-15) are worth 75 points and the first nine balls are worth only 45 points. Do the math, running a few of the lower numbered balls won't win you the game. Now the cleanly dressed young man wins the next two games, so he's only 50p down. He's confident now and asks me to raise the bet to 100p, like that will scare me somehow. Wow, two dollars a game (actually $2.20). I agree and he starts playing pretty good. And I start feeling my cue.

The games are close, usually coming down to the last two or three balls. But he's got a little dog in him and that's when he misses. I'm not missing on the high numbered balls. I think he sees me playing bad on the little balls and thinks I'm weak. Good move by me I guess. I finally get 550p ahead after he misses a fifteen ball for the game. He quits. I pay 40p in time for the four games I lost, and tip the house man who has been racking and calling hits another 20p. I played almost two hours to win 490p. Another day at the office in Manila. ;)

That's it for the day and I meet Bunny and Jalo back at the hotel. I'm resting that evening thinking about today's game. The young guy shot very straight. How did I beat him I'm thinking? I played better safes, kicked more accurately and made a few key bank shots. I also dogged fewer balls. That was the difference. He definitely could shoot off the end rail better than me. I guess you could say I outsmarted him.

I wonder how many 60 year old Americans are running around this country looking for pool games. Maybe I'm the only one. Maybe ever! There are lots of older American guys who play pool here, as a hobby. Only one I know who gambles is Darryl Norquist, an old buddy from Long Beach, CA. And he doesn't go looking for action. Oh well, you only live once, might as well enjoy the ride.

jay helfert
03-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Jay...

I was in AC last month. Did you happen to visit Paradise bar? Open area bar with a table and a lot of action in the afternoon. I never saw any gambling there tho. The table is a challenge table. Several times I have held the table for several hours...but it never fails someone will come in and shoot lights out and now you have to wait your turn to get another chance at the new table holder. There is a short pinoy guy that plays there sometimes, must be about 4' 8". He can shoot! I beat him a couple of times, but he knows how to play those PI tables. Forget the slow rolls eh? Cloth like my grandma's pajamas. Heat, humidity...need I say more? haha

This trip I took my 3 piece travel cue Sheldon Lebow made for me. Nice to have my own cue! On the last day I used it to break...and I broke the cue :mad:

Well Sheldon repaired it for me after I got home and I wont be using it to break with again. Dumb I know. Would have been great to meet you there in ac.

Ingat Jay!

I've been in there but no action for me. Played a couple of nice guys (one American, one filipino) but no talk of gambling. The American guy had met me at the WPC a couple of years ago. The filipino guy was there when I played Jo-el. There were a lot of people watching that game, so I guess I knocked my action, even in losing.

cuesmith
03-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I've been in there but no action for me. Played a couple of nice guys (one American, one filipino) but no talk of gambling. The American guy had met me at the WPC a couple of years ago. The filipino guy was there when I played Jo-el. There were a lot of people watching that game, so I guess I knocked my action, even in losing.

Jay, you're really making me jealous! I'm getting more and more anxious to make another trip to the Philippines. Danny DiLiberto wants to go with me. When I go I like to stay at least a month. The length of the flight and the cost, along with the reasonable prices once you arrive makes it more sense that way. Enjoy yourself buddy, I know it's like being a kid at Disneyland for guys like us and Mickey Mouse is calling my name!

jay helfert
03-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Jay, you're really making me jealous! I'm getting more and more anxious to make another trip to the Philippines. Danny DiLiberto wants to go with me. When I go I like to stay at least a month. The length of the flight and the cost, along with the reasonable prices once you arrive makes it more sense that way. Enjoy yourself buddy, I know it's like being a kid at Disneyland for guys like us and Mickey Mouse is calling my name!

Remember your filipino Visa is only good for 21 days. You must either get an extension or expect to pay hefty fees when you leave. I made that mistake once.

Yesterday I called the US Embassy for an update on my application for Jalo's passport. Interesting thing is that all the workers there are filipinos, not American. So I got some bad news. This is Holy Week here (I knew that), so the examiner handling my case is off until Monday April 5. She will call me then to set an appointment time, probably two or three weeks later in April, long after I'm gone. Bad news huh.

All is not lost though. Bunny can appear on our behalf, since all the necessary paperwork has been submitted. All I need to do is give her a copy of my Passport, and the page showing the Visa when I was in the Philippines, nine months before Jalo was born. They don't miss a thing here.

So now I know that it's true, it can take months to get a US passport. Well at least the process is underway and hopefully when I return later this year, Jalo will be a documented U.S. citizen. I am also helping Bunny get her Philippine passport. She must get it to have any chance at coming to America.

I cannot despair at this news. This is how it is over here and you either accept it or go crazy for nothing. I cannot change this culture. It is better just to go with the flow. So it looks like more pool and poker this trip. Later today we will go to Baclaran, the largest outdoor shopping area in Manila. Thousands of stalls selling everything, and mobs of people shopping. Here is where the best deals are to be had.

I still don't understand how the exact same thing you buy in the states (like beer, toothpaste, food products, etc. etc.) sells for pennies on the dollar here. Same name, same brand, same packaging, for a fraction of the price. Is it really that inexpensive to produce the same product here? I buy a large tube of toothpast for $1. It would cost triple that at home. Big beer (two quarts) for a $1.20. In the states also double or triple. It's like that on just about everything, except electronic products. Laptops, computers and televisions sell for similar prices here to what we pay in the states. I can buy a nice small motorbike here for $800-1,000. I've seen very clean used ones for $400. 100-155cc. Same bike in the USA would be at least $2,500 to $3,000.

JoeyA
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Remember your filipino Visa is only good for 21 days. You must either get an extension or expect to pay hefty fees when you leave. I made that mistake once.

Yesterday I called the US Embassy for an update on my application for Jalo's passport. Interesting thing is that all the workers there are filipinos, not American. So I got some bad news. This is Holy Week here (I knew that), so the examiner handling my case is off until Monday April 5. She will call me then to set an appointment time, probably two or three weeks later in April, long after I'm gone. Bad news huh.

All is not lost though. Bunny can appear on our behalf, since all the necessary paperwork has been submitted. All I need to do is give her a copy of my Passport, and the page showing the Visa when I was in the Philippines, nine months before Jalo was born. They don't miss a thing here.

So now I know that it's true, it can take months to get a US passport. Well at least the process is underway and hopefully when I return later this year, Jalo will be a documented U.S. citizen. I am also helping Bunny get her Philippine passport. She must get it to have any chance at coming to America.

I cannot despair at this news. This is how it is over here and you either accept it or go crazy for nothing. I cannot change this culture. It is better just to go with the flow. So it looks like more pool and poker this trip. Later today we will go to Baclaran, the largest outdoor shopping area in Manila. Thousands of stalls selling everything, and mobs of people shopping. Here is where the best deals are to be had.

I still don't understand how the exact same thing you buy in the states (like beer, toothpaste, food products, etc. etc.) sells for pennies on the dollar here. Same name, same brand, same packaging, for a fraction of the price. Is it really that inexpensive to produce the same product here? I buy a large tube of toothpast for $1. It would cost triple that at home. Big beer (two quarts) for a $1.20. In the states also double or triple. It's like that on just about everything, except electronic products. Laptops, computers and televisions sell for similar prices here to what we pay in the states. I can buy a nice small motorbike here for $800-1,000. I've seen very clean used ones for $400. 100-155cc. Same bike in the USA would be at least $2,500 to $3,000.

Maybe I missed it Jay but how long will you be there?
JoeyA

jay helfert
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Maybe I missed it Jay but how long will you be there?
JoeyA

I come home on April 7, after three weeks. Trying to get in stroke for my big match with New Orleans Joey!

ralphe
03-31-2010, 04:03 AM
jay i really like your writings...
i've been to the philippines in november for 3-months. pretty much all over the islands and i always went to play some pool and for some cheap games.
even out in the province or up in the mountain they have pool tables.
some of the tables dont play as they should but after a while you get it out and its fun to play anyway.
no matter if it is a outside table at the beach or one in the pool-hall, there is always someone around who might win against you.

at least that was my experience. ;)

most of the time the owner steps in the game first, if he cant beat you the next ones on. and so on....
after a while you're surrounded by people and in the middle of a match.
even if you only play for a little money, they always like to watch. and i often got advices at the end from the crowed.
everyone seems to know about pool there. :grin:

all the best

CocoboloCowboy
03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Keep posting your report please Jay that are an education for one who has not traveled the world.

JoeyA
03-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I come home on April 7, after three weeks. Trying to get in stroke for my big match with New Orleans Joey!

You should stay there a few extra weeks and really get in stroke, then you can come down to my home town and TRY to give me a spankin' on my birthday. :D

JoeyA

floppybear
03-31-2010, 10:29 AM
So Jay...when you went to One Side in Manila did someone ask you "Do you want to play a Filipino?" LOL, that question was asked to me when I went there last time. I replied...I have a pocket full of cash and I will play anyone! You should have seen the guy's eyes light up! He set me up with Frenchie (some french guy), Roberto Gomez, another filipino, and Efren. I played them on the CHEAP, but it was the most fun I had on my trip to the PI. I plan to go there this December 2010...

Funny thing...I asked them to play One Pocket (except Efren) and they replied, "I don't know how to play, but I will play you." They were honest. They didn't know how to play, but at least they gambled! I lost to everyone playing them 9 or 10 ball...LOL!

Terry Ardeno
03-31-2010, 04:33 PM
You should stay there a few extra weeks and really get in stroke, then you can come down to my home town and TRY to give me a spankin' on my birthday. :D

JoeyA

Agitator! :D

JimS
03-31-2010, 04:45 PM

JoeyA

Keep talkin. I think maybe he needs an excuse to stay.

jay helfert
04-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Back to One Side last night. I found out the first guy I played last week was Yu Young or something like that. Just one more filipino champion in waiting. Last night I played Gech (pronounced Geek), one more in the endless chain of talented young players churned out here. He knew I had played One Pocket on my previous visit and agreed to a game. We played a Race to Five for 2,000p total (about $45). One more guy who never misses, and I still had a very good chance to win.

I out moved him every game, but couldn't run enough balls. A couple of games I lost, I had him 5-0 and he made a Bank and ran out. I lost the set 5-3. But the time was 700p (I paid half), so I told him if we play again it will be for at least 500p a game. The tip on my new cue sucks (hard as a rock) so the house man at One Side is putting a new one on today. I miscued twice while stretching for a shot against Gech. That might have made the difference in our match. I sure do wish I had my Josey here. I can play two balls better with it.

In the malls you see many kids and baby stores. And on the street, there are a multitude of Ob-Gyn clinics. Making babies is the number one activity here. It is a total Catholic country with zero attempt at birth control. Everywhere you go there are women with babes in arms. Not unusual to see a family of four or five (mom, dad and the little ones) all traveling on one small motorbike. One child on the handlebars, one on dad's lap, and mom carrying one behind him. I've frequently seen six or seven people packed on one trike (with baggage attached as well). They really put these little bangers (100-125cc bikes with sidecars) to the test. The Philippines is one big baby factory. I'm glad to have made my small contribution. :wink:

Almost 100 million people live on these islands, so it is one of the largest countries in Southeast Asia in terms of population. The economy here is surprisingly robust, with crowded malls and small businesses thriving everywhere. You will see very few boarded up buildings like we see all over the USA. Space here is put to good use. There are street vendors lining every boulevard, with a variety of businesses, from food sales to shoe repair, and everything in between.

BlowFish
04-01-2010, 02:11 AM

I hear you Jay. My first personal trip to the US(attend SBE) was an eye opener when it came to cost. Everything was just so much expensive and I'm already from HK which is one of the most expensive cities to live in. :(

My previous trips to US(NY) was on business, so I never looked at how much it cost. It was all paid for by the company. :grin:

smokey
04-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Back to One Side last night. I found out the first guy I played last week was Yu Young or something like that. Just one more filipino champion in waiting. Last night I played Gech (pronounced Geek), one more in the endless chain of talented young players churned out here. He knew I had played One Pocket on my previous visit and agreed to a game. We played a Race to Five for 2,000p total (about $45). One more guy who never misses, and I still had a very good chance to win.

I out moved him every game, but couldn't run enough balls. A couple of games I lost, I had him 5-0 and he made a Bank and ran out. I lost the set 5-3. But the time was 700p (I paid half), so I told him if we play again it will be for at least 500p a game. The tip on my new cue sucks (hard as a rock) so the house man at One Side is putting a new one on today. I miscued twice while stretching for a shot against Gech. That might have made the difference in our match. I sure do wish I had my Josey here. I can play two balls better with it.

In the malls you see many kids and baby stores. And on the street, there are a multitude of Ob-Gyn clinics. Making babies is the number one activity here. It is a total Catholic country with zero attempt at birth control. Everywhere you go there are women with babes in arms. Not unusual to see a family of four or five (mom, dad and the little ones) all traveling on one small motorbike. One child on the handlebars, one on dad's lap, and mom carrying one behind him. I've frequently seen six or seven people packed on one trike (with baggage attached as well). They really put these little bangers (100-125cc bikes with sidecars) to the test. The Philippines is one big baby factory. I'm glad to have made my small contribution. :wink:

Almost 100 million people live on these islands, so it is one of the largest countries in Southeast Asia in terms of population. The economy here is surprisingly robust, with crowded malls and small businesses thriving everywhere. You will see very few boarded up buildings like we see all over the USA. Space here is put to good use. There are street vendors lining every boulevard, with a variety of businesses, from food sales to shoe repair, and everything in between.

what a kick...

and the best line was:

I'm glad to have made my small contribution. :wink:

as always, waiting for more reporting...

best,
smokey

the_general
04-01-2010, 04:17 AM

a very good observation of our state of living sir. cost of living here is pretty much low compared to most countries. i hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

NaturalEnglish
04-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Since your playing One Side I assume your staying close to the Southern Cross hotel. On my way back from Puerta Galera I spent a few hours playing pool on a nice table there at the bar in Southern Cross hotel. The table has Simonis on it or a very good copy. I remember seeing a sign on the wall about a tournement there every week. Go check it out and play in it. Ive played tournements before in the PI and actualy won one in Subic once. Got a free chit for food or drink I seem to remember :wink:

Good way to pass some time and have some fun too! Good luck!!

pulzcul
04-01-2010, 07:58 AM
So Jay...when you went to One Side in Manila did someone ask you "Do you want to play a Filipino?" LOL, that question was asked to me when I went there last time. I replied...I have a pocket full of cash and I will play anyone! You should have seen the guy's eyes light up! He set me up with Frenchie (some french guy), Roberto Gomez, another filipino, and Efren. I played them on the CHEAP, but it was the most fun I had on my trip to the PI. I plan to go there this December 2010...

Funny thing...I asked them to play One Pocket (except Efren) and they replied, "I don't know how to play, but I will play you." They were honest. They didn't know how to play, but at least they gambled! I lost to everyone playing them 9 or 10 ball...LOL!

Forgive me for getting off subject but does anyone else see that floppybears avatar looks like Efren?!

JoeyA
04-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Hey DUDE! Are we going to see some pictures of Jalo or what?

How about some pictures of the Filipino players you are playing, too. We want to be ready for them when they make the trip?:D
JoeyA

Raggedy Andy
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi, Jay.
It has been years since I've seen you, and you might not even remember me. I am from New Mexico, and ran into you a few times at tournaments over the last 30 years, or so. Just wondering if you were going to be at the Seminole event at Hollywwod Billiards. I was planning to come, and thought maybe we could have a cup of coffee. That would be wonderful. It sounds like you have quite an agenda between now and then. Are you an adoptive parent? Kudos to you, and Godspeed on your quest. Are you planning to bring this child back with you? I wish you all the best in this venture, and if there is anything I could ever do, on this end.....please don't hesitate. Ciao for now, friend.
Andy Gundersen

justadub
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
This thread alone is worth coming here to check the boards every day.

Your posts are absolutey engaging, Jay. Please keep them coming as time permits. The pool-playing stories are great, and your descriptions of the way of life there are wonderful.

Continued good luck with your baby and her passport/citizenship.

CocoboloCowboy
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Jay I wish you would post some photo of the place you talk about, the stories are great, but a photo makes it all so much better...

jay helfert
04-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Since your playing One Side I assume your staying close to the Southern Cross hotel. On my way back from Puerta Galera I spent a few hours playing pool on a nice table there at the bar in Southern Cross hotel. The table has Simonis on it or a very good copy. I remember seeing a sign on the wall about a tournement there every week. Go check it out and play in it. Ive played tournements before in the PI and actualy won one in Subic once. Got a free chit for food or drink I seem to remember :wink:

Good way to pass some time and have some fun too! Good luck!!

My name was on the board for winning something like five games in a row. A pretty decent table in there.

jay helfert
04-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Hey DUDE! Are we going to see some pictures of Jalo or what?

How about some pictures of the Filipino players you are playing, too. We want to be ready for them when they make the trip?:D
JoeyA

My little digital camera is currently out of gas, but I will post some photos upon my return.

jay helfert
04-02-2010, 04:07 AM
;)Hi, Jay.
It has been years since I've seen you, and you might not even remember me. I am from New Mexico, and ran into you a few times at tournaments over the last 30 years, or so. Just wondering if you were going to be at the Seminole event at Hollywwod Billiards. I was planning to come, and thought maybe we could have a cup of coffee. That would be wonderful. It sounds like you have quite an agenda between now and then. Are you an adoptive parent? Kudos to you, and Godspeed on your quest. Are you planning to bring this child back with you? I wish you all the best in this venture, and if there is anything I could ever do, on this end.....please don't hesitate. Ciao for now, friend.
Andy Gundersen

Thanks Andy. I'll be directing the Seminole event at Hollywood Billiards, so I'll probably have to show up if I want to get paid. :D

I am a "natural" parent. Plain old intercourse, nothing more exotic than that. ;)

jay helfert
04-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Jay I wish you would post some photo of the place you talk about, the stories are great, but a photo makes it all so much better...

Okay, will do my best.

Renegade
04-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the stories and insights, Jay!

How's the action today? Streets must have been empty, considering it is Black Friday. The only time there's no traffic....

CocoboloCowboy
04-02-2010, 07:02 AM
My little digital camera is currently out of gas, but I will post some photos upon my return.

Thanks Jay.

ANOTHER ?, you mention all those Great Player in PI do you think they know, or learn the PA System????

jay helfert
04-02-2010, 06:37 PM

How's the action today? Streets must have been empty, considering it is Black Friday. The only time there's no traffic....

I've never seen Manila so quiet. Almost all the major businesses are closed including the giant malls. This lasts from Thursday thru Sunday. Talk about a dedication to their religion. When was the last time a major mall closed in America. Try never, unless there was a shooting there. I saw a parade of people on Edsa (a main thoroughfare) yesterday, all swinging their sacred objects, many of them with shrouded faces. They were nearly blocking the entire street, and the buses and jeepneys respected this procession, giving them a wide berth. I still don't really understand the significance of all this.

Very little traffic anywhere, everyone in church. Bunny and Jalo went to TWELVE churches yesterday! She said she prayed for me and her family. I need all the prayers I can get! :grin-loving:

What's really weird is that they have even have some ceremonial crucifictions every year with a several people actually crucified. Yes, I'm talking nails thru the hand, the whole bit. It is considered an honor and a privilege to be one of them. These people are revered for their courage. I'm a little too squeamish to even witness this.

P.S. I celebrated by taking a day off from pool. :thumbup:

CocoboloCowboy
04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Yes they do have (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36146108/ns/world_news), some ceremonial crucifictions, it made the world press.

I remember the day in the USA when most business closed for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Good Friday, Easter, and the other major holidays. Now there holiday are excueses for SALES of things we most don't need. IMHO!

Kuroky
04-02-2010, 07:12 PM

In here, it's called 'Good Friday', the irony! Today is the 'Black Saturday'

Renegade
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
In here, it's called 'Good Friday', the irony! Today is the 'Black Saturday'

I always get confused when to use Good, Holy, or Black during the Holy week...:confused:

Happy Easter, everybody!!!

teedotaj
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I always get confused when to use Good, Holy, or Black during the Holy week...:confused:

Happy Easter, everybody!!!

Palm Sunday, Holy Monday-Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Black Saturday, Easter Sunday.

18 years of catholic school. YEAH YEAH!

jay helfert
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
There was a poker tourney at Wild Aces in Angeles yesterday, and my pool action had dried up. 500p, with a 20,000p first prize guarantee. Too good to pass up. I started bad and finished strong to nab second place and 10,000p! Pay Day!

Back to reality today in Pasay, and went food and baby supply shopping with Bunny. A full cart equalled 3,000p. Easy come. easy go! :wink:

Leaving for home in two days. I feel a little sad about that. Something about the Philippines grows on you. It's a free and easy life style here, much like Mexico used to be before the narco wars. My big decision each day is whether to play pool, poker or just kick back.

I'm very attached to my baby girl (and the entire family). I'll really miss Jalo when I'm gone. I'm having so much fun with her. She loves to eat (a little fatty) and laughs & smiles at my stupid jokes and the funny faces I make.

Terry Ardeno
04-04-2010, 09:30 PM
There was a poker tourney at Wild Aces in Angeles yesterday, and my pool action had dried up. 500p, with a 20,000p first prize guarantee. Too good to pass up. I started bad and finished strong to nab second place and 10,000p! Pay Day!

Back to reality today in Pasay, and went food and baby supply shopping with Bunny. A full cart equalled 3,000p. Easy come. easy go! :wink:

Leaving for home in two days. I feel a little sad about that. Something about the Philippines grows on you. It's a free and easy life style here, much like Mexico used to be before the narco wars. My big decision each day is whether to play pool, poker or just kick back.

Here's wishing you a safe flight home as well as many thanks for keeping us updated while you were away. And mention to Bunny and Jalo that many people who are your friends here send them cheerful greetings!

CocoboloCowboy
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Have a safe trip home Jay!

Mr. J
04-05-2010, 07:12 AM

I'm very attached to my baby girl (and the entire family). I'll really miss Jalo when I'm gone. I'm having so much fun with her. She loves to eat (a little fatty) and laughs & smiles at my stupid jokes and the funny faces I make.

Jay, just wanted to wish you a safe trip home....I know you feel like you are leaving alot of family behind there and not just your little Jalo....

Like you said and it is how it is over there...you are treated immediately like family and brotherhood in so many ways in your acceptance...it is the culture and makes you feel so happy inside in so many ways...

Anyway, thanks for all the updates and Danny and I will see you soon in Vegas buddy...

Lets all go to a nice dinner if we can and I'll be treating you like I said I would in the past...my word in good...

Jeff

sygfrid
04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Jay, any chances that you'll be playing tom night, Tues, before leaving? If ever, where? I might drop by just to say hi :wink:

Fatboy
04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
a very good observation of our state of living sir. cost of living here is pretty much low compared to most countries. i hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

Thats why there are so many expat's, your net worth is tripled X4, X5 depending on where you move, its very easy to retire to a spot like the PI, and the hussle and bussle of America and early heart attacks stays right where it belongs-in America. Like Jay refered to PI time, smae goes for Africa, when you get there forget about efficancies cause there arnt any your on Africa time and once you firmly understand that there is no better way to live. Less pressure=better pool game=happier life.

kindest regards

Eric<--------------Soon to moving somewhere, hopefully within a year or two, got to go shopping first and see where I want to spend 8-9 months a year & the rest of the time in America(I think).

Fatboy
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
;)

Thanks Andy. I'll be directing the Seminole event at Hollywood Billiards, so I'll probably have to show up if I want to get paid. :D

I am a "natural" parent. Plain old intercourse, nothing more exotic than that. ;)

A friend of mine is comming to town, hollywood that is.......;) right about that time.

Jay I will be getting into LA about when you do, so lets hook up this week sometime, I know your hours will be off a little, so I'll drive to your house and we can hang out and mastermind the next revolution in pool. ;) or perhaps the first revolution in pool:confused::grin-square:, or go eat at Sizzler down the street(on the square its the best sizzler ever-on the whole Sizzler blows, Jay assured me this store was different, he was right it is GREAT on the square probably the only good one there is).

safe travels home,

best

Fatboy

Fatboy
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
What's really weird is that they have even have some ceremonial crucifictions every year with a several people actually crucified. Yes, I'm talking nails thru the hand, the whole bit. It is considered an honor and a privilege to be one of them. These people are revered for their courage. I'm a little too squeamish to even witness this.

P.S. I celebrated by taking a day off from pool. :thumbup:

Jay do they let the people die? or just hang there for a while. That must be painful.

teedotaj
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Jay do they let the people die? or just hang there for a while. That must be painful.

lol God no the just hang in there and the nails they use arent big. and i think they are supported instead of just hanging by the nails which would be deadly.

jay helfert
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Jay, any chances that you'll be playing tom night, Tues, before leaving? If ever, where? I might drop by just to say hi :wink:

I am heading to One Side tonight to meet Darwin. Come on down if you can.

jay helfert
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM

There was a photo in yesterday's newspaper of a lady hanging on the cross with relatively thin (but very real!) nails thru her palms. Her body was supported somehow at the waist, and on her legs. I think they only stay up there until sunset. It is a ceremonial but very graphic depiction of the crucifixation of Christ.

This is also shown on the local television news. There is little if any censorship here, unless it's sexual in nature. If there is a shoot out during an arrest and the perps are shot dead, you will see their bodies on the TV news and in the newspapers. Same goes for victims of car accidents or assasinations.

There is well armed security everywhere here, including at the entrance to fast food joints (a lot of money is handled here), 7-11's and Western Union offices. A typical bank has one or two outside guards, one with a sawed off pump shotgun and the other with an AK-47 or M-16. Inside there will be one or two similarly armed guards. In other words, bank robbers beware. The U.S. style bank robber who walks in with a hand gun and passes a note to a teller wouldn't have a chance here. He would be shot dead on the spot. These guards with guns do not mess around. Like the U.S.A this is a well armed populace, with hand gun shops in most malls. A business owner or security guard has no problem getting a permit to carry. You see well armed security guards everywhere, including the entrance to all malls!

Yes, there are shootings every day, most being politically motivated in some way. The others can come as the result of an argument over property or a woman. Sound familiar? Just yesterday, an official was executed on a busy street in Quezon City in broad daylight. Something about a dispute over control of transportation routes (jeepneys and trikes). He was hit ten times in the body by four gunmen who commandeered a trike and escaped. This is exactly how it was reported too. Usually they know who is behind stuff like this and sometimes they are actually caught and prosecuted. And sometimes not, as we already know. What most often happens if the gunmen are cornered, there is a shoot out with the police. More dead bodies and one day on the news and then forgotten. Even drug dealers are often executed during arrest attempts. There is no mercy shown by the police here. You resist, you die!

I know this all sounds brutal, but there is actually far less serious crime here than in the cities of America. Most criminal activity here is some kind of fraud or scam. Potential criminals here know what consequences they face for their actions. There is more of a deterrent effect here. Criminals know they will be dealt with swiftly and severely if apprehended.

jay helfert
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
A friend of mine is comming to town, hollywood that is.......;) right about that time.

Jay I will be getting into LA about when you do, so lets hook up this week sometime, I know your hours will be off a little, so I'll drive to your house and we can hang out and mastermind the next revolution in pool. ;) or perhaps the first revolution in pool:confused::grin-square:, or go eat at Sizzler down the street(on the square its the best sizzler ever-on the whole Sizzler blows, Jay assured me this store was different, he was right it is GREAT on the square probably the only good one there is).

safe travels home,

best

Fatboy

I'm due home on Wednesday evening. Call me on Thursday and we'll hook up.

I finally spoke with the "Examiner" handling Jalo's passport application yesterday. She made our appointment for Tuesday, April 13. I'm leaving it up to Bunny to handle this. She will be armed with all the necessay documents, plus some extra stuff I will supply her with - a photo record of our relationship, plus a letter from me detailing how we met, and have continued our relationship for nearly four years now. Hopefully this will all prove successful. I sure wish I could have scheduled this appointment while I was here. I remain cautiously optimistic that all my efforts will prove fruitful.

The fee for a U.S. passport here is $150. Bunny will have the money with her when she goes in on the 13th. Think good thoughts please.

almostgood
04-05-2010, 10:26 PM
My question for you is; Are there separate places to shop to find the native prices on goods compared to raised prices because of tourists activity? is this understandable?

jay helfert
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
My question for you is; Are there separate places to shop to find the native prices on goods compared to raised prices because of tourists activity? is this understandable?

Prices in malls is naturally higher but still relatively low by our standards. Exceptions being the electronic stores selling laptops and flat screen TV's. Same prices as we pay in the West.

The best deals are to be had in the smaller local markets that serve the local citizenry. Probably 20-25% lower than mall prices. There is one huge market in Pasay City called Baclaran. All filipinos know this marketplace with hundreds of stalls, like a giant outdoor swap meet. We shopped there yesterday and bought a couple of outfits for Jalo (140p/$3 each after negotiating). Bunny and her auntie Diane each got a nice pair of shorts for 200p/$4.50. I would have paid much more (double or triple anyway) for the same or similar quality goods in a US store.

One of the straps on my sandals broke and I took it to a local shoe repair shop. It cost me 30p/70 cts. to get it fixed. Such a deal! Very typical. I bought Bunny and Jalo a high quality (standing) fan to put upstairs where they sleep. It cost just over $20, with no tax! No taxes on anything here, one price fits all! A fan like this would be in the $40-60 range at a home supply store in the USA. Maybe more.

almostgood
04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
thank you for the info. the more you talk about PI the more I want to move there.

jay helfert
04-05-2010, 10:51 PM
thank you for the info. the more you talk about PI the more I want to move there.

You wouldn't be the first who made this move and never regretted it. For a single man with no ties it's a great move imo. Of course you must either have some assets or fixed income. Of course many foreigners open businesses here. Many of the major hotels, night clubs and restaurants are foreign owned.

almostgood
04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
You wouldn't be the first who made this move and never regretted it. For a single man with no ties it's a great move imo. Of course you must either have some assets or fixed income. Of course many foreigners open businesses here. Many of the major hotels, night clubs and restaurants are foreign owned.

thats good to hear also. Thats what I was day dreaming about. A huge room. maybe more later. And Jalo is gorgeous.

blackpearlmaker
04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Good luck on meeting with darwin, i'm sure you will not disappoint on him. He's also a good pool player. He's a good guy.
He visited my shop last saturday and he tell me about you..
Good luck Jay!!!Enjoy!!!:thumbup:

Take care,
Al

Fatboy
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I am heading to One Side tonight to meet Darwin. Come on down if you can.

see you in 20 mins.

Fatboy
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
There was a photo in yesterday's newspaper of a lady hanging on the cross with relatively thin (but very real!) nails thru her palms. Her body was supported somehow at the waist, and on her legs. I think they only stay up there until sunset.

"only til sunset"<---------not a problem, sign me up(soon as I weigh 80 pounds)

Big Perm
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
What most often happens if the gunmen are cornered, there is a shoot out with the police. More dead bodies and one day on the news and then forgotten. Even drug dealers are often executed during arrest attempts. There is no mercy shown by the police here. You resist, you die!

I know this all sounds brutal, but there is actually far less serious crime here than in the cities of America. Most criminal activity here is some kind of fraud or scam. Potential criminals here know what consequences they face for their actions. There is more of a deterrent effect here. Criminals know they will be dealt with swiftly and severely if apprehended.

Sounds like the perfect place to live, I know where to retire now :D

jay helfert
04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Good luck on meeting with darwin, i'm sure you will not disappoint on him. He's also a good pool player. He's a good guy.
He visited my shop last saturday and he tell me about you..
Good luck Jay!!!Enjoy!!!:thumbup:

Take care,
Al

Thanks Al. I met up with Darwin at One Side. He's a super nice guy. We played Ten Ball for a while and pounded on me good. :)

I'm having trouble adjusting to this new cue. It's way too long (59"+) and maybe needs some weight added also (18 oz.). It's still a good cue, but like most cues, they sometimes need some fine tuning to suit your style.

I continue to have trouble with my cue ball control and can't seem to get any good follow on the ball. I'm leaving it with Darwin; he has a guy who can take 1.5" off the shaft and put a Triangle tip on it. I may ask him to put a longer or heavier bolt in the butt too.

The local game maker at One Side brings another hustler in to play me some One Pocket. His name is Eric. I just don't feel that comfortable playing a good player when I'm uncertain about my cue ball control, so essential in One Pocket. So I tell Eric I will play him some Bank Pool. Naturally he acts like he knows nothing about banks, but I tell him it is the simplest game in the world to play. All you do is shoot every shot a bank shot, and you can shoot at any ball. In about two minutes I have explained the game to him and he is ready to try me out. I want to play for 500p a game but he says only 300p at first. Okay.

I don't mind playing a good player Banks because I know I only have to keep the cue ball in play. Just avoid scratching and you'll be all right. I win the flip and proceed to scratch on the break. Nice :mad:. I now need six balls to win. We go back and forth for several innings, until I catch up at 3-3. Then I run two and win the game. The second game is over in two innings! I break and make a ball, then run three off the break. Eric's buddies are laughing at him. I ask Darwin later what was so funny. He tells me they said, "The Hustler got hustled!" Eric fails to make a ball on his turn and I run two, The second game is over in about two minutes. Eric is not happy and leaves the poolroom owing me 300p. They tell me he is going to the bank ATM to get money. I'm a little pissed he would make a game with me and only have 300p in his pocket.

Darwin reassures me that I will get paid, meanwhile telling me this can be a problem here with some of the local hustlers. For only 300p I didn't ask him to post, just pay after each game. He did pay me after the first game. Maybe 15 minutes go by and still no Eric. I see that he has left his cue with some young kid. I go over to the kid and tell him that if Eric does not return I'm "garnishing" the cue. No one in the there says a word. They know that Eric has done the wrong thing here. I think someone calls Eric, because shortly he returns and pays me the 300p. Now he asks me to play One Pocket. I told him we only played two games of Banks, not enough to make any changes yet. I can see the guy plays good, he did fire in a couple of banks. It is no soft game for me, but I like it a lot more than One Pocket right now. Eric refuses to play any more Banks. I think the quick last game got him mentally. I tell him that when I come back (with my newly repaired cue) I will play him some One Pocket. Game over!

jay helfert
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Now Darwin takes me to the nearby Malate Poker Club. I sure wish I had found this place sooner. We walk in and the first person I see is Efren. He gives me a big smile and comes over and hugs me. My man Effie! :D

He points out Francisco who is sweating the big game. It is a 10,000p buy in with 100p-100p blinds. There are nine players but they offer me a seat, so it will be ten handed. I'm in action! Am I a sick puppy or what? It is a fast and lively game with four or five players seeing most every flop, which has often been raised to 5-700p. Naturally I go into tight mood waiting for a good hand. Finally (after about 15-20 minutes) I pick up K,9 suited in late position. It has been raised to 500p and several people have called. I decide to take a shot and call. The flop comes King high (K,Q,4). The early raiser bets 700p and everyone folds to me. I call. The turn pairs the four and now he bets 3,000p. HMMMM. He could easily have A,K and I'm dead to a nine. But somehow I put him on an under pair or maybe A,Q, so I call. The river is a ten, which I don't like. Now he shoves all in for 6,000p more. He has me covered but I feel committed to this pot. I have to trust my read. I call for my last 5,900p. He turns over the Q,J of clubs for a pair of Queens. Thank God he didn't have Q,T. I would have been sick. I win the pot with over 20,000p in it. SWEET!

I keep playing for another hour or so and dribble off over 4,000p in chips. It's nearly Midnite and Bunny is texting me, "Where r u?, When u come home?" I quit and cash in 17,500p, a nice little win. It's an 8,000p night, plus Darwin buys a book from me. He asks me if I'd like to eat and I am hungry so I agree. We go back to One Side for a late dinner. Darwin wants to treat me but I tell him that it's my treat since I'm winners tonite. After dinner he drives me back to my hotel where poor Bunny and Jalo are waiting outside for me. It's 1 AM and she wants to eat. What can I do? ;)

Klink
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Great posting Jay and it's nice to hear and see in your posts that you have seem to calmed down and are more comfortable with your situation.

Good Luck!

jay helfert
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
thats good to hear also. Thats what I was day dreaming about. A huge room. maybe more later. And Jalo is gorgeous.

Thanks! Even the filipinos stop and look at Jalo. I think mostly because she has a distinctive fil-am look. The mothers even bring their little ones over to look at her. She is a very popular baby in Pasay. At night when she is sleeping, I sometimes find myself staring at this little bundle of joy. Stay well my dear. :lovies:

poolhustler
04-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Glad to hear that little Jalo is healthy again Jay! Sounds like you all are having a really nice time together.

I will be there in November and cant' wait!!

Let me know if you find out the dates for the World 10 Ball.

Thanks buddy,

Russ.

beetle
04-07-2010, 04:32 AM
It's always great to hear your reports, Jay. Have a good trip back.

CocoboloCowboy
04-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Safe trip home Jay!

jay helfert
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Got home a couple of hours ago. It's a long, long flight! But as I always say, "If the plane lands on its wheels, it's been a good flight."

Felt like a whirlwind three weeks, went by so fast this time. Hopefully all will go well when Bunny takes Jalo back to the Embassy on the 13th. I've got my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Played a lot of pool this trip and am anxious to go back and do it again. At least I've got these guys thinking about playing One Pocket or Banks instead of all Rotation games and Eight Ball. My buddy Darwin is having my new cue worked on, and I'm sure it will be an improvement over how it was before.

And the poker action was good too. The games over there are very soft compared to games in the states. That will all change in a couple of years though. It always does when they learn how to play. Poker is still a new thing over there.

The Philippines has everything I like - pretty women (yes I am a family man!), lots of pool and poker, warm weather year round (it's hot but not Vegas hot), and inexpensive accommodations. You can stay there on a budget with no problem. The single biggest expense is the plane ticket to get there.

I can see myself spending more time there in the future. I even get a chance to work over there, so I won't be a complete bum. :D

3RAILKICK
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Welcome back. Get some rest. Did it freak Efren out to see you in his backyard?

Thanks for the updates-continued good luck in your quest to get your beautiful little Jalo home with you.

Take care

dgem
04-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Hey glad you got home safe, i tried your cue last night and I agree on putting a little weight on it and making it 58".

This guy knows how to bank. I love the way how Eric looked and when he was seeing you making those banks in game 2.

He said " I'm F!" :D

darwin

blackpearlmaker
04-08-2010, 06:24 AM
i'm glad youve made it home safe jay...:thumbup:
Until next time, You are welcome here anytime..
The action you did in One Side is memorable to them..:)
More powers and Take Care

Al

jay helfert
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey glad you got home safe, i tried your cue last night and I agree on putting a little weight on it and making it 58".

This guy knows how to bank. I love the way how Eric looked and when he was seeing you making those banks in game 2.

He said " I'm F!" :D

darwin

Thanks Darwin for everything, especially introducing me to the Malate Poker Club. :wink: They will see me in there again!

I'm thinking now that I'd like the cue shortened to 57.5". That's a good length for me. It's over 59" now, way too long. I'd also like to see if he can add some weight to the butt, maybe a heavier bolt in the butt cap may do the trick. Another half an ounce could make a big difference in the playability.

I don't think Eric liked losing the second game in two innings. He was done after that. I've learned over the years that if you can bury a guy, by all means do it. Every time I tried to play soft on someone I just got myself out of stroke. And those guys at One Side play way too good to mess around with!

jay helfert
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
i'm glad youve made it home safe jay...:thumbup:
Until next time, You are welcome here anytime..
The action you did in One Side is memorable to them..:)
More powers and Take Care

Al

My plan is to introduce One Pocket and Banks to filipino pool in a much bigger way than has been done so far. They need to learn these games. They are both great games and their own countryman (Efren) is one of the best One Pocket players of all time. Give me six months over there and I bet I can get a bunch of these young straight shooters playing strong One Pocket. They certainly have the ball making ability, just lack the knowledge. I'm just the opposite, I know what to do - I just can't execute it anymore. :angry:

P.S. I plan to make them pay for their lessons. :p

DogsPlayingPool
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
My plan is to introduce One Pocket and Banks to filipino pool in a much bigger way than has been done so far. They need to learn these games. They are both great games and their own countryman (Efren) is one of the best One Pocket players of all time. Give me six months over there and I bet I can get a bunch of these young straight shooters playing strong One Pocket. They certainly have the ball making ability, just lack the knowledge. I'm just the opposite, I know what to do - I just can't execute it anymore. :angry:

The fact that if you want to gamble at one pocket you probably have to match up with Efren might have something to do with why it hasn't caught on over there.:grin-square:

CocoboloCowboy
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
So when you heding back to the Phillipines JAY?

jrackman
04-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Jay, glad your trip went fine and your home safely. you made us all feel like we were there with you with your posts. Now get your Jalo over here and the ending will be complete. Hope to see you in Vegas in May when I'm there.....Jeff

jay helfert
04-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Jay, glad your trip went fine and your home safely. you made us all feel like we were there with you with your posts. Now get your Jalo over here and the ending will be complete. Hope to see you in Vegas in May when I'm there.....Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

My goal remains to get Jalo her U.S. Passport. With that she will be able to come and go from the USA without a problem. And most importantly be recognized as a U.S. citizen forever! After spending three weeks with her and Bunny, I see how attached Jalo is to her mother. I cannot separate them at this time. That would be the wrong thing to do.

I am assisting Bunny in getting her Philippine Passport, so she can also travel with Jalo to the USA. I would like to bring them here within the next year, maybe for three months (maximum visa allowed for Bunny) this first time. After that we'll see about bringing them both here permanently.

One step at a time is my plan now. I was impressed with how Bunny was handling her responsibility as a parent on this trip and I see the advantages she has with her large extended family to assist her in caring for Jalo. There are other things about living in the Philippines that I prefer to living in the USA, and I am currently weighing all my options. I can foresee the possibility of maintaining two residences, one here and one over there.

Perhaps the best way to go for Jalo, Bunny and me is to spend three months here, three months there and so on. That way I will be at home in the USA six months a year and living abroad in the Philippines six months a year. On this trip I actually seriously thought for the first time about this possibility. There are some subtle differences in our two cultures that make me appreciate the Philippine life style.

Number one, people in the Philippines are for the most part genuinely friendly and open. I see few artifices in their personalities. The filipino people (again for the most part) are not into shams and false claims about who and what they are. Yes, a trike or taxi driver may try to coax you out of an extra dollar or two but so what. If I can't handle that by now with my poolroom education, I haven't learned anything. They rarely, if ever, get over on me. And even if they do, 50 pesos is no major loss.

It's hard for me to put into words what it is that so appeals to me about life in the Philippines. True, our dollar goes so much farther. For instance I could buy a nice condo for fifty grand, or make payments of maybe $150 a month. Kind of like buying a home here in the 70's. The people are relatively poor, with wages of $5-10 a day being average. They don't have much but they don't complain about it either. There is something very real about life in the Philippines, at a very basic level. Again I don't know how to verbalize this just yet, but I feel it all the same. And I happen to like it. Also, there is something to be said for Jalo growing up with all her little cousins around her. They have a typical filipino family with lots of kids for her to interact with. And the kids don't grow up "soft" over there. They learn self reliance from an early age, a valuable lesson that can be missing over here.

I am basically a simple man at heart, with no need for luxuries or opulent surroundings. Give me a good pool or poker game (easy to find over there), plus a couple of buddies to hang with and I'm a happy camper. I've made several good friends already. If I want to go out for a good dinner or a movie that's available too. And the nearest mall has anything I might desire in the way of creature comforts, like big screen TV's or fancy computers.

What holds me to the USA is a close relationship with my daughter and grand kids here, an aging mother who needs me and a family real estate business that requires my attention. But at some point in time, the dual living arrangement may be made to work. Probably not while my mother depends so much on me. She was thrilled when I returned after being gone for only three weeks. I just can't leave her for three months at this time.

poolhustla61508
04-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Hope everything works out for you Jay.

blackpearlmaker
04-09-2010, 07:34 AM

I think thats a good idea jay,:thumbup: Actually, i know Eric in One side. when you play in One Side and you defeated him, i think its already a lesson to him and to those watchers. :D that they must master that game..so that they will be ready, when you came back to fight.:D

Renegade
04-11-2010, 08:16 AM
you might want to check this out....

Philippine Retirement Authority (http://www.pra.gov.ph/)

Samiel
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Quick question Jay... more out of curiosity than anything.

When you played over there, did you guys play "all ball" fouls or just "cue ball" fouls?

jay helfert
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Quick question Jay... more out of curiosity than anything.

When you played over there, did you guys play "all ball" fouls or just "cue ball" fouls?

They play cue ball fouls only. And they have a ref/racker working every money match. He gets a small commission from the winner of the match (5-10%). The ref will actually mark a ball or balls that are close to the cue ball in case they get moved during the shot. That way he knows where to restore the ball.

The filipino refs are only the best in the world! First of all, they're all players so they know the game. And they are dedicated referees who don't miss a thing.

CocoboloCowboy
04-13-2010, 06:39 PM
They play cue ball fouls only. And they have a ref/racker working every money match. He gets a small commission from the winner of the match (5-10%). The ref will actually mark a ball or balls that are close to the cue ball in case they get moved during the shot. That way he knows where to restore the ball.

The filipino refs are only the best in the world! First of all, they're all players so they know the game. And they are dedicated referees who don't miss a thing.

More great stories from you last trip to PI.

smokey
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
of all the threads in the few years of being a member here [but also being banned from time to time - quoting you: "bad boys, bad boys, whatca gonna do when they come for you?" quote from me: "yup"!]...

this thread is and will be one of my favorites. and to add, i am sure, all will work out in time, and Jalo will have her US Passport and Bunny will have what she needs too...

and most of all, thanks! why? cause your posts were great and from the heart.

all the best,
smokey

Samiel
04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Sounds like a great time! Thanks Jay!

jay helfert
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a great time! Thanks Jay!

The hard part is the loonnng plane flight both ways. Half the time I get sick afterwards. Over 400 people on the plane, every seat full and people coughing and sneezing. Not a good combination. It's best to take some Airborne pre boarding and even wear a mask. I wish I had done it this time. I have been sick the last three days. Just starting to feel better today.

jay helfert
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I got some very good news today. Bunny and Jalo had another meeting yesterday with the examiner at the U.S. Embassy. Jalo's application for a U.S. Passport has been approved! Hallelujah!! She will receive her passport on June 22. Jalo will officially be a U.S. citizen. All my travels and efforts appear to have been rewarded. I'm a happy man today. Thank you all for your support! :smile:

justadub
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Congratulations! :clapping:

It is so good to hear/see/read some good news for a change.

sizl
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I got some very good news today. Bunny and Jalo had another meeting yesterday with the examiner at the U.S. Embassy. Jalo's application for a U.S. Passport has been approved! Hallelujah!! She will receive her passport on June 22. Jalo will officially be a U.S. citizen. All my travels and efforts appear to have been rewarded. I'm a happy man today. Thank you all for all your support! :smile:

That is great news Jay.....I am not only happy for you, but Jalo as well. From what I read from your travels, The Philippines seem to be a great place, with alot of great people, but Jalo will have more opportunities available to her in the USA.
You are a good man, Jay Helfert
Peace
Todd

JoeyA
04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
That is great news Jay.....I am not only happy for you, but Jalo as well. From what I read from your travels, The Philippines seem to be a great place, with alot of great people, but Jalo will have more opportunities available to her in the USA.
You are a good man, Jay Helfert
Peace
Todd

You're right about Jalo and well, I guess you're right about Jay too. ;)

JoeyA

jay helfert
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm going to attempt to post some photos of Jalo here. No luck, they all exceeded the forum limit of 100KB. If someone can help me with this I will e-mail them to you. Thanks

DogsPlayingPool
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm going to attempt to post some photos of Jalo here. No luck, they all exceeded the forum limit of 100KB. If someone can help me with this I will e-mail them to you. Thanks

send them to me and I'll see what I can do. ;)

Kickin' Chicken
04-22-2010, 06:25 PM
I got some very good news today. Bunny and Jalo had another meeting yesterday with the examiner at the U.S. Embassy. Jalo's application for a U.S. Passport has been approved! Hallelujah!! She will receive her passport on June 22. Jalo will officially be a U.S. citizen. All my travels and efforts appear to have been rewarded. I'm a happy man today. Thank you all for your support! :smile:

Congratulations, Jay, on your terrific news. Hard work has payed off! It has to feel like you ground out a set against King Kong for all the marbles.

Your daughter (and Bunny) are blessed to have you championing their cause.

Best,
Brian kc

DogsPlayingPool
04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Sweet Jalo (she's beautiful Jay!!):

DogsPlayingPool
04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Here's the rest:

jay helfert
04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Mitchell. That's my little dumplin'. That's what this thread was all about. Like any parent I just want the best for her.

Blue Hog ridr
04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
My favorite pic is number 2. Shes a little sweet heart.
Jay, yer probably a sweet heart too but I don't want you to get a big man crush on me.
I can see it now, Philippine ladies champ coming up in about 16 years.

alstl
04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
She has your eyes and your smile Jay.

CocoboloCowboy
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting the family photos Jay!

poolhustler
04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Great pics Jay, shes a cutie pie!!!

Thanks for sharing!

smokey
04-23-2010, 02:54 AM

for the record, i am not the best with "older folks", but i'm great with kids; they love me and i love them - so i beg the question; when is that little dumpling gonna be here in vegas???? you can work the tournament and me and olya can be another grandpa and grandma; no notice required

and, good job on the citizenship!!

as i told mentioned to you, the paper work and details can be unrelenting, but once done, things if lucky can go smooth as silk

best,
smokey

JimS
04-23-2010, 03:39 AM

That's a beautiful thing Jay. It'll prove to be among the best moves of your life.

JoeyA
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Sweet Jalo (she's beautiful Jay!!):

[

I like Jalo 4 photo above. Looks like she is listening to Poppa Jay's instruction on banking. :D:D

JoeyA

jay helfert
04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I like Jalo 4 photo above. Looks like she is listening to Poppa Jay's instruction on banking. :D:D

JoeyA

You know the funny thing Joey. YOU'RE RIGHT! Almost. She was watching me work on the new cue I bought that week, cleaning the shaft and shaping the tip. She probably wondered, "what is my dumb dad doing?"

With my first two kids, I had no desire to teach them pool. In fact, I kept them out of my poolroom. With this one, I feel different. She will have a cue in her hands from an early age. Watch out Rubelin Amit!

Eric.
04-23-2010, 08:22 AM
She's beautiful, Jay. You can see that she has your face. No denying that kid!

Eric

jay helfert
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
She's beautiful, Jay. You can see that she has your face. No denying that kid!

Eric

Poor thing. :p