PDA

View Full Version : im getting good at a very fast pace!

original palmer
03-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Hey guys, this is more of just speaking out loud, but I'm pretty exited right now.
I've been playing this game (8 ball) for about a month so far and in that short month, my game has increased amazingly. I went from having a hard time just hitting 1 ball in to being able to set my balls up and hit 4-5 in a row.
I'm lovin this game more and more!

Btw, I just seen the movie the hustler 2 days ago. Great movie, I just didn't care much for the middle part of the movie and his drunk ass girlfriend. But I see how it is a classic. It makes the color of money seem like a much better movie now

poolplayer2093
03-15-2010, 01:59 AM
hang around better players and it'll keep going

gwjackal
03-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Start twirling your cue like a baton and you'll run racks, I seen it in a movie so its gotta be true!

Walk in, stay down and good rolls to ya!

original palmer
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Yea, I actually got to play some good players this weekend. Older woman kicked my arse! But I played a better game playing with her

theyonger
03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Good for you for going at it!

The learning curve for most sports are exactly like what you are experiencing. When you are fresh to the game you learn alot very fast! Its a very exciting time! But sooner or later you will hit a plateau and you can take it three different ways!
1)quit (dont. lol)
2)Struggle and wonder why the hell you cant improve anymore! and struggle and struggle and stuggle until FINALLY you break the plateau
3) Accept that a plateau is a normal part of life and to improve you have to get a mentor or a role model to help improve you game to the next level!

Lol what im really saying is just dont get discouraged when you start to struggle with some aspects of the game and just remember the feelings that the game originally gave you!

Happy shooting!

Gatz
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
When you first start out anything you pick it up at an extremely fast rate. But soon as you get to a certain level it takes waaaaaaaaaay more time to improve.

It's like making a car faster. It costs a shitload more money to make a 11 second car get into the 10's then it does to make a 16 second car get into the 15's.

Blue Hog ridr
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Sh**t, put a 1/4 cup of gasoline on a cats ass, he'll pass a funny car and do the 1/4 mile in high 5's.

Thunderball
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
hang around better players and it'll keep going

What he said....don't sweat losing, only on playing better. Also, you will soon find out that the last few balls in a game of 8ball will prove much more difficult to run then the 1st few. Then you will learn that running down to one ball and not getting out will get you killed more often then not against a decent shot.

It does sound like you are on the right track to me though. Good luck.

s0lidz
03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Yep, doesn't take long to get that shot percentage up to 40-50% range. But take it from me, get your stroke and mechanics straight before you start worrying about running racks.

To run racks you need to make 100% of the balls and the slightest blemish in your stroke will ruin that for you. You don't want to get to that point and realize you need to correct bad habits that you picked up early on.

Most importantly, have fun and keep it up :thumbup:

deadwhak
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
get out while u can!!! take up golf!! this sport can be addicting!!!

original palmer
03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
now he tells me:D

12310bch
03-16-2010, 03:13 AM
I've been shooting for 53 years (Off & on - now on all the time) and I can feel your excitement. I shoot (and lose more often than win) with a lot of very good players and I still have the same feelings you're having when I up my game a smidge. The fun sometimes subsides but hard work at pool is
better than hard work at work.:wave:

Mr Fish
03-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Enjoy the progress now, the slump is just waiting for the right moment to pounce on you. Don't give up when it gets you. Fight your way through it and you will be on your way to being a better player. It is a never ending cycle you will have to deal with as long as you play the game. That is part of why I love,or maybe it's hate, this game. Good luck in your pursuit of greatness.

Eric.
03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
When you first start out anything you pick it up at an extremely fast rate. But soon as you get to a certain level it takes waaaaaaaaaay more time to improve.

It's like making a car faster. It costs a shitload more money to make a 11 second car get into the 10's then it does to make a 16 second car get into the 15's.

So true. The law of diminishing returns.

Eric >getting a 16 sec car into the 13's is cheap and easy....

deadstroke13
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Good deal, a great rule of thumb to remember is the only way to get better is by playing people who are better than you. Keep at the game and never give up.

tom mcgonagle
03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
How old are you? If your past thirty get some solid instruction before too many bad habits get embedded in your game and you can't get them out of your system.

I started playing at a very young age and I can still remember the feelings your experiencing. It's like all of a sudden your in possession of a magic wand and you can't get enough of it. The magic is always there, it just doesn't seem like it is sometimes.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com