PDA

View Full Version : What are friends for?

Neil
03-15-2010, 05:47 AM

metallicane
03-15-2010, 06:35 AM
All i can say is "wow". Some people are just stupid as bricks. Where is Darwin when you need him.

cswann1
03-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Wow. "Friend" B sounds like a class A loser.

I knew a guy that had a nice Carolina Custom. He was shooting with a guy and they were both using the CC. The other guy got pissed about missing a shot and broke the Carolina across his knee.

For me, both of these instances would be worth a night in jail to satisfy my need to beat the snot out of such disrespectful a$$holes.

shamadam
03-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Holy Crap! With friends like that, who need enemas?:yikes:

akadansmith
03-15-2010, 06:53 AM
lol @ Dom........<--- is a good friend. let me borrow his extra pre cat shaft for like a month and i bekive i returend it in same shape i got it in...now thats what friends are for!

SpiderWebComm
03-15-2010, 07:21 AM
I actually think that's a funny story. At least it happened with a cheap cue.

Maybe the guy can run a bake sale to help get the $50 back.
Dave

nathandumoulin
03-15-2010, 07:28 AM
He IS a true friend, because he sold it to a local. Only a bad friend would sell it to someone that you couldn't get it back from. :p

sfleinen
03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Was at the poolroom last night, and found out that friend "A" will be getting a new cue. Eventually..... sometime,..... maybe.....

Friend "B" needed a cue to go to a tournament, so friend A loans him his. Friend A then goes out of town for work for 3-4 days. He comes back to find out that friend B got in some action, lost, and sold his cue for $50 (a $300 Pechauer) to pay the debt!

Forturnatley, he sold it to another guy from town here, so there is a chance he can get it back. Always interesting having pool players for friends!

I have to admit though, friend "A" is handling it a lot better than I would have! He's perturbed, but not irate. I learned something watching his attitude about it. But, I can't say I would have handled it as well as he did!

"But but but Neil, you just don't get it. Friend 'B' sold the cue *because* he lost with it, and knew that Friend 'A' wouldn't want this 'bad luck / losing' cue anymore. Friend 'B' was doing Friend 'A' a favor by getting rid of this bad cue -- don't you get it?"

:p

-Sean

mikeyfrost
03-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I actually saw someone try to do that before and get called out on it. The guy who tried to sell the cue(no debt involved) was making a deal with a guy who recognized the cue. Small town stuff so the potential buyer called who he believed owned that cue. His hunch was right and turns out it was just a loaner cue but the buyer called the guy out for trying to sell a cue that was being loaned to him.

The cue was not sold to my knowledge. A bad friend sells your cue but the worst friend sells your cue to someone that you have no shot of seeing that cue again!

theyonger
03-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Oh tough situation...
Lol sorry i would have freaked in this scenario!

TheBook
03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Was at the poolroom last night, and found out that friend "A" will be getting a new cue. Eventually..... sometime,..... maybe.....

Friend "B" needed a cue to go to a tournament, so friend A loans him his. Friend A then goes out of town for work for 3-4 days. He comes back to find out that friend B got in some action, lost, and sold his cue for $50 (a $300 Pechauer) to pay the debt!

Forturnatley, he sold it to another guy from town here, so there is a chance he can get it back. Always interesting having pool players for friends!

I have to admit though, friend "A" is handling it a lot better than I would have! He's perturbed, but not irate. I learned something watching his attitude about it. But, I can't say I would have handled it as well as he did!

He actually did him a favor. Got rid of his cue for $50. Probably more than it is worth. Now he has a down payment for the new cue he was planning on getting. :outtahere:

matcase
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I think maybe friend A should wait till friend B goes to sleep, then friend A could super glue a house cue with a bad tip and a sticky shaft to the side of friend B's face....that way no one will have to lend friend B a cue. Tell friend B the answere is as plain as the nose or cue on your face, use a house stick, or buy your own.

gunzby
03-15-2010, 08:01 AM
I would tell the guy he has 24 hours to get the cue, or $300. After the time goes off I would call the cops. Not sure if he could file a stolen property claim since he loaned it to him, but he did sell something that didn't belong to him.

Maybe he could make it a fun deal. The cue, $300 or $100 and he gets to kick him in the nuts in the pool room. My mind is racing with ideas now. How about $100 and shave off the eyebrows?

WoodyJ
03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
If someone did that to me, I'd demand that they return my cue (within a short time frame) or else (they are not going to like what happens).

Assuming no positive resolution by now ex-friend A, I'd contact the person who bought the cue and politely explain the situation and offer them $50 for it. If they refused, I'd thank them for their time and let them know that I gave them a chance to resolve the situation amicably, my offer is now off the table, they received stolen property and to expect a visit from the police.

cswann1
03-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I actually think that's a funny story. At least it happened with a cheap cue.

There a plenty of folks who don't consider a $300 cue "cheap".

Johnnyt
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
If someone did that to me, I'd demand that they return my cue (within a short time frame) or else (they are not going to like what happens).

Assuming no positive resolution by now ex-friend A, I'd contact the person who bought the cue and politely explain the situation and offer them $50 for it. If they refused, I'd thank them for their time and let them know that I gave them a chance to resolve the situation amicably, my offer is now off the table, they received stolen property and to expect a visit from the police.

I like the first thing to do first Beat hell out of him or get someone to do it) but the second is a very good choice. Johnnyt

TheBook
03-15-2010, 08:16 AM

How can you prove that a production cue (or any cue) was yours?

Years ago a friend took off from work early. As he pulled into the alley he seen some migrant Mexicans walking out of his backyard carrying tools and putting them into their van. He blocked the vehicle with his and went into the house and called the police. The Mexicans said the tools belonged to them and were looking for work. They claimed that they thought they heard someone in the garage and took the tools with them to show what they had and kind of work they could do. The police asked my friend if he had any proof that the tools were his and he said yeah they are my tools and they were taking them out of the garage. The police said that is not good enough. He needed to show receipts and SN. Couldn't do it and the thieves got off.

cswann1
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
The police said that is not good enough. He needed to show receipts and SN. Couldn't do it and the thieves got off.

Wow. That is really messed-up.

FWIW. I take high-resolution pictures of all my cues with my drivers license in the image. It may or may not prove ownership but it can't hurt. My cues may not have serial numbers but each cue has a distinct an unique wood patterns, so the high resolution images can help in that regard.

Now that I've read this, I think I'll take pics of everything of value I own.

Blackjack
03-15-2010, 08:33 AM
In 1997, I lent a break/jump cue to a local player here in El Paso. We'll call him Mr. X.

Mr. X was playing in a tournament - I wasn't - he needed it - I could afford to do without for a night, so out of the goodness of my heart and against my better judgment, I let Mr. X use my break/jump cue.

I left mid-tournament - Mr. X was still playing - I told him not to worry about it, just get the cue back to me the following day. What a mistake that was!

I don't see Mr. X for 3 months. When I do see him, he tries to pretend as if I had never lent him the cue. Selective amnesia. Nice trick, but I was determined to get my cue back.

I see him again a few months later, and he tells me another wild-ass tale about how he left it over his mother's house - she moved - it may be in a box somewhere. He had a million different stories. It was all bullshitt.

This goes on for about 9 months... maybe a year. Eventually I just said the hell with it.

I accepted the fact that I had learned another lesson the hard way...

Then the Pool Gods stepped in.

While in the midst of my remorse over the loss of my cue, aimlessly I glance around the pool room... and there it is ... I see someone using my jump/break cue.

Mr. X wasn't playing with it, somebody else was.

I knew it was mine because it was a very uniquely designed purple heart jump break cue made by Jerry Powers.

I asked them where they got the cue and they said that they had bought it from Mr. X about 3 months ago. Mr. X told the guy he had gotten the cue as collateral for a gambling debt.

Yeah... that's the ticket.

The guy paid Mr. X $150 for the cue.

I was able to get it back for $125.

Mr. X eventually told me he had lost track of the cue. He never offered to replace it - just said he lost it and that was that.

I bet he still thinks he got one over on me.

It's been 11 years, and Mr. X still has no idea that every single time he has lied to me about what happened to my cue, that it was sitting in a case about 5 feet away from where he was standing.

I bring it up every time I see him. On a few occasions I have been tempted to just screw it together while he was BS-ing me about it, but I'm waiting for that "perfect moment".

:D

Maniac
03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
"What are friends for" ????

They are for putting a big ding in your "brand-new", "just delivered", first time out of the house, OB Classic playing shaft. Yep, my league teammate and friend not only knocked my cue (with the new shaft on it) over once, he did it TWICE in a 30 minute span. Didn't notice the ding until I got it home. Thank goodness it's down closer to the joint so I can't feel it when stroking, but GEEZ!!!

Maniac

Blackjack
03-15-2010, 08:52 AM
"What are friends for" ????

They are for putting a big ding in your "brand-new", "just delivered", first time out of the house, OB Classic playing shaft. Yep, my league teammate and friend not only knocked my cue (with the new shaft on it) over once, he did it TWICE in a 30 minute span. Didn't notice the ding until I got it home. Thank goodness it's down closer to the joint so I can't feel it when stroking, but GEEZ!!!

Maniac

Uhh... did you say ... "Ding"???

Big Perm
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
WOW, what a story....makes me cringe......I guess no good deed goes unpunished....Friend B is a criminal in my book.....wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire....unreal....

WoodyJ
03-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Good point. If you have no sales receipt and there's no serial number on the item, hard to prove it's yours.

I've purchased most of my cues here on AZ and one from e-bay. Have kept a copy of the original ad plus my receipt from Paypal.

Reminds me that I need to take my own pictures and document them on my homeowner's insurance policy (no extra cost really since they are already covered if I can show proof I have them).

------------------------------------------------------------

But, back to the OP's situation. What I suggested was meant to stir up the pot and get the situation resolved. Even if the person can't prove that the cue is theirs, the threat of involving the police often gets people to sober up, take a hard look at what their position is and do what is necessary to resolve the situation amicably without involving the police.

alstl
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM

I don't even let people play with my cue. Guess I'm an a-hole.

Neil
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM

14-1StraightMan
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
This is as bad as the post about the AZer who got taken by that jerk that was selling a case and everyone helped track him down.
Friend "B" is the type of "Dirt Bag" that gives pool a bad name.

Pushout
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM

I always keep receipts. Besides, if enough people have seen the cue in your possession, that should be enough. And, I don't buy production cues!

pt109
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
A friend bought a sneaky-pete ebony butt to me once.He had bought it
at a very low price and needed a shaft.It had been stolen from me so i
gave him the original shaft as a gift without enlightening him of the
history of the cue.I found out who he bought it from and over the next
few months i tortured him with proposition bets.I also imported a few
players who kept him broke.
To this day i've never told him and any time i shake hands after a match
i check to see if i still got my watch.....but so does he!
That butt cost him a few thousand.

Caromsoft
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Underneath the butt cap on my cue is a round piece of paper with my name and telephone number on it. If I ever had to prove to the police it was mine I would ask them to unscrew it and look! :D

WoodyJ
03-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't see friend A very often, but if I do, I will inform him to tell the buyer that he bought stolen property. That should at least enable him to buy if back for the $50.

Yep, sounds good.

I'd approach the guy with the cue politely in a matter-of-fact way and say the cue was mine and I'd prefer to get it back without involving the police and keep it between Friend B and me (in which case I would eventually take $50 out of Friend B's hide some way or another and the issue would be over).

But, if the guy with the cue wants to be a hard a$$, and refuse to cooperate, thank him for his time and let him know that when the police show up they will seize the cue for evidence and he will hopefully be left holding the bag (instead of $50).

BTW: Does the guy with the cue have a bill of sale from Friend B?

kyo1128
03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Note to self:
Take off butt cap, put my birthday on, TONIGHT!!!

Neil
03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Secaucus Fats
03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Posts like this remind me of why I do not lend any of my cues to anyone, for any reason. I treat my cues, even the least expensive ones, like they're my babies.

I don't care if someone thinks I'm a selfish a-hole, that's still better than what he would think after I beat the absolute living hell out of him if he damaged or sold one of my cues. I know that may not jive with my Buddhist views, but hey..the Buddha never played pool!

cswann1
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I think one of the most important things to take away from this thread is that just because you've shot some pool and swapped dirty jokes with someone a few times, that doesn't make them your friend.

I don't know how well "A" knew "B" in this case, but I can honestly say that none of the people I call friend would do something like this to me. That may have something to do with the fact that if a friend of mine is hurting for money, they know all they need do is call me. I've helped out my friends in this way before and will do so again, because my friends respect me enough pay me back when the say they will, and if for some reason they can't, they call me and tell me.

We all want to think that everyone is good a trustworthy. They're not.

alstl
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
A friend bought a sneaky-pete ebony butt to me once.He had bought it
at a very low price and needed a shaft.It had been stolen from me so i
gave him the original shaft as a gift without enlightening him of the
history of the cue.I found out who he bought it from and over the next
few months i tortured him with proposition bets.I also imported a few
players who kept him broke.
To this day i've never told him and any time i shake hands after a match
i check to see if i still got my watch.....but so does he!
That butt cost him a few thousand.

Good work. Most people don't have the patience or self control to do it that way.

alstl
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Posts like this remind me of why I do not lend any of my cues to anyone, for any reason. I treat my cues, even the least expensive ones, like they're my babies.

I don't care if someone thinks I'm a selfish a-hole, that's still better than what he would think after I beat the absolute living hell out of him if he damaged or sold one of my cues. I know that may not jive with my Buddhist views, but hey..the Buddha never played pool!

I'm the same way. I go so far as to take my cue to the mens room with me. My cue has been in the mens room of every pool hall and bar I've played in. I was hitting balls at home one day and without thinking about it I went to take a leak and took my cue with me.

I leaned my cue on the wall, got my break cue, broke, looked up and some guy was holding my cue. He didn't realize that he grabbed the wrong cue. Not sure if he was drunk or senile but that's how fast something can happen to your cue if you aren't paying attention.

ShootingArts
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
A friend of mine went out of town for a few days on business. When he got back he found his apartment totally wrecked. His cues, stereo, TV, pretty much everything of value gone but to add insult to injury the perp had totally wrecked his apartment besides.

As D is stomping around his apartment stewing he gets a phone call from a friend. X, a drug using acquaintance, had passed by his friend's house trying to sell him D's stereo. As D is driving towards X's apartment he sees him coming from the other direction. A screaming U-turn in the middle of a four lane and the chase, and running gunfight, is on. X makes a few blocks and gets back headed towards his apartment. Somewhere along the way he ran out of ammo so when he got to the apartment he jumps out of his car and runs to his apartment to lock himself in. D ain't a huge guy but he was annoyed. He pretty thoroughly stomped X, recovered all of the stolen goods that X still had and trashed everything else in the apartment.

Somehow this still didn't seem quite adequate yet. As it happened X and D both wore pony tails at the time. D pulled out his knife to remove X's pony tail. X wasn't cooperating with the idea so he lost the pony tail and a good bit of scalp too. D being that kind of guy hung the pony tail from the antenna of his pick-up where it flew for almost a year before it got lost. D told me he didn't understand it , "you scalp just one person and everybody thinks you are a bad a$$!"

Hu