PDA

View Full Version : It's a Gandy, but that is all I know..

stacks337
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I inherited a house and about 20 years ago my dad bought a Gandy pool table. I remember him bragging about it having italian slate and that it was in 3 pieces. I know nothing else about this table. I know the balls are centennial but only because I took one to the local pool hall. I am hoping someone can tell me a style or model of this table or where i might be able to find some info to give me a rough idea what it is worth to sell and a rough idea of what it costs to get one moved professionally. I need it out of my house. There is a cover that fits it really snug so I assume that it is the original. The top of the leather pockets are a little worn and I would guess it is wear from the cover and things being stacked on top of it. Thanks in advance for any info and I hope that I posted this in the correct area. I look forward to your response. Sorry for the poor cell phone picture quality.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0955.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0956.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0957.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0959.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0960.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/IMG_0958.jpg

JoeyA
06-16-2010, 08:43 PM
OK, while I don't know the style or model of this table, I will give you two hundred but you have to throw in the Centennials. :wink:

stacks337
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
OK, while I don't know the style or model of this table, I will give you two hundred but you have to throw in the Centennials. :wink:

:rotflmao: wow don't take advantage of me or anything lol. Maybe I should sell the balls separately hmmmm

JoeyA
06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
:rotflmao: wow don't take advantage of me or anything lol. Maybe I should sell the balls separately hmmmm

I would kill for a room big enough to put a 7 foot table in my house. :o

g'luck with the info search.

stacks337
06-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I would kill for a room big enough to put a 7 foot table in my house. :o

g'luck with the info search.

I think it may be bigger than that, I should measure it I guess.

mullyman
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
No need to measure, just lay a cue up on it and snap off another picture. I'm positive we'll be able to tell the size.
MULLY

stacks337
06-16-2010, 09:13 PM
It is a 9'

stacks337
06-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Here is a better picture of the table, the pic is not of mine but one I found online just like it but there was no other info.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/usedgandyside_large.jpg

mullyman
06-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Here is a better picture of the table, the pic is not of mine but one I found online just like it but there was no other info.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/cassiasher/Gandy/usedgandyside_large.jpg

I don't know, man. Difficult to tell but this one pictured looks like an 8 footer.
MULLY

stacks337
06-16-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't know, man. Difficult to tell but this one pictured looks like an 8 footer.
MULLY

Definitely a 9' and definitely not a man :) Thanks for trying!

rackem
06-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Do you live in a populated area?
I would suggest you put it on your local craigslist.
I notice you are a new member
Did you join the forum just to ask about the table?:confused:
Or, are you a poolplayer.

stacks337
06-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes I joined just to get advice from someone who knows about the table that wouldn't be looking to rip me off on what it's worth because I have no clue what its value is. I haven't played in a long time and really have no desire to take it back up because I lack in time, I am still good lol and even found a couple of my old cues. I have played on it a little recently and the rails seem to be in really good shape and even bought a few extras and took the time to have the centennial's cleaned. I just know very little about the table because to be frank I never really cared and don't remember much about it. I played in a few of the tournaments when I was younger but since I don't drink/smoke the pool halls aren't for me so I just gave it up. I won't just give the table away as it has been in the family for a long time, but I would like to have the room available in the house again. I am just thinking that by time someone pays for it and pays for it to be moved and set back up that it really might not be worth buying to anyone. If not I guess we will continue to use it just a little bit when we entertain.

mullyman
06-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Definitely a 9' and definitely not a man :) Thanks for trying!

well, you didn't leave a name so I assumed you were a guy. And that second photo you posted, you said was a pic from the net, looks like an 8 footer. Just trying to help you out.

JoeyA
06-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Stacks,
You can click on this link (http://www.used-pooltable.com/pooltableresearch.html)for general information about the prices of pool tables new and used.

Also, you can simply google "restoring 9 foot gandy pool table" and several Gandy pool tables will pop up. You can make comparisons there.

Best Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA
06-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Stacks,

I sent you a private message (PM).

If you are reading this, you can look in the upper right hand portion of your screen and you should see Private Messages just below:
Welcome stacks337

KoolKat9Lives
06-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Used Gold Crowns go on average for @ $1200 - 1500 from what I've seen. I don't think a Gandy would fetch quite as much. I'd guess $800 - $1100 with balls included and their responsibility to pick it up.

Good luck with the sale and welcome to AZ!

mullyman
06-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I came to a pool hall tonight that I haven't been to in about a year or so. There are 2 GC4's that he got used at the beginning of the year. He said he paid a thousand each for them. They're about 3 years old or so. And this is in Japan where everything costs a little more. I agree with KoolKat about the price of that Gandy.
MULLY

Black-Balled
06-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Used Gold Crowns go on average for @ $1200 - 1500 from what I've seen. I don't think a Gandy would fetch quite as much. I'd guess $800 - $1100 with balls included and their responsibility to pick it up.

Good luck with the sale and welcome to AZ!

Methinks you are way off there. I'd say 50% of that for an actual sell price. Check craigslist for your area, stacks.

Now, regarding the first paragraph...!

BRivera
06-17-2010, 08:55 AM
I have been shooting pool for the past 45 years on every type and style of tables there are. I own a 9 ft Brunswick myself. The Gandy table you have is in what appears to be great condition. You should be able to get an easy grand and a half.:)

mullyman
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
45 years and you own a Gold Crown? May I ask why you felt the need to preface your comments with that? Does that somehow make your opinion better than everyone else's? Just curious.

catscradle
06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes I joined just to get advice from someone who knows about the table that wouldn't be looking to rip me off on what it's worth because I have no clue what its value is....

I can tell you one thing, it is worth less than you think it is. The used pool table market is pretty saturated right now. If you want to move it, I'd put it on Craig's List for a 1000 bucks or Best Offer and expect less. Don't forget whoever buys it will have to move it or pay somebody and will have to replace the cloth when it is reassembled.
JMHO.

Donny Wessels
06-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Gandy table are now American Hierloom. I built a table for them a few years back. I couldn't find a website for them, hopefully there not out of business. Here's some information that I did find:

AMERICAN CUSTOM POOL TABLES
Not Rated | Write a Review
Jackson, GA 30233

AMERICAN CUSTOM POOL TABLES in Jackson, GA serves customers in Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line., Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line. We offer services in Sporting Goods Dealers. We specialize in Sporting...(More)AMERICAN CUSTOM POOL TABLES in Jackson, GA serves customers in Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line., Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line. We offer services in Sporting Goods Dealers. We specialize in Sporting Goods Dealers in Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line., Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line. We are proud to have the following certifications and affiliations - Billiards of Macon Armand Billiards. We are happy to serve multilingual customers We accept the following forms of payment: American ...(View All) AMERICAN CUSTOM POOL TABLES in Jackson, GA serves customers in Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line., Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line. We offer services in Sporting Goods Dealers. We specialize in Sporting Goods Dealers in Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line., Entire state of Georgia, All bordering states near line. We are proud to have the following certifications and affiliations - Billiards of Macon Armand Billiards. We are happy to serve multilingual customers We accept the following forms of payment: American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Personal Check, Discover Card. We have been proudly serving the Jackson, GA area since 2007.

(770) 775-6900

Perhaps they can help you. If I was selling that table in Southern CA, I wouldn't expect to get more than $1200 providing the cloth, cushions and pockets are good and with delivery included.

daveb
06-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I have an 8ft. version of the same table. Solid oak with an ash frame. Not veneers. I've had the table for about 20 years and it has held up great, with lots of regular play. It's been a fine home table. I paid around $1600 for it new, 20 years ago. The nine footer would have been several hundred more dollars at the time. I don't know if that helps you or not.

stacks337
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I appreciate everyone's help. It don't seem worth selling really so I guess Ill continue to stack stuff up on it :)

jay helfert
06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
A nice home model Gandy in good condition. The balls really add no value. Top dollar on a table like this is around $1,000. Good luck!

ChazL
06-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Stacks,
You can click on this link (http://www.used-pooltable.com/pooltableresearch.html)for general information about the prices of pool tables new and used.

It seems to me that the price ranges quoted in the linked page are on the high side. With rooms closing all over and light demand for 9' tables for residential use, prices have become quite depressed.

Not trying to knock the OP's table-- I also have a 9' Gandy in my home and like the table very much. As was suggested previously, a review of listings on the local Craigslist will probably provide the best indication of the price that the OP can obtain in a private sale.