PDA

View Full Version : What to expect?.

9 ball
06-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I am in the process of getting a custom break/jump cue made by Trevor @ Carolina custom cues & I have a couple questions regarding the whole process as this will be my first ever custom cue:

1. When is payment for the build normaly sent, before or after the work is done?

2. Are updates normally sent as the cue progresses?.

As a side note here is an outline of what Trevor will hopefully be building for me:

Tip: 13mm White Diamond Tip
Ferrule: Capped and threaded fibre ferrule
Shaft: 29" Hard rock maple with 12 - 14" pro taper.
Joint: Stainless Steel
Pin: 3/8x10
Forearm: Natural Birdseye Maple
Rings: Thin Gold Ring
Wrap: None
Sleeve: Natural Birdseye Maple
Bumper: White Rubber

Tramp Steamer
06-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Never pay up front. Pay only when you've had a chance to inspect the finished cue for defects.
You may not receive any updates as to the progress of your cue. That would largely depend upon the cuemaker, but don't pester him. You should, however, be told in advance as to the wait time prior to completion. Most reputable cuemakers are very accomodating. :)

leehayes
06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
oh..and don't forget this one....it will probably take longer than quoted.

tucson9ball
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I just noticed that in your signature you have your top speed of your break listed at 17 MPH. I don't want to come off as being a jerk but............if that is your max speed, you may not need a break cue. You could save your money and just have a shooting cue and maybe a jump cue.
The main reason for having a break cue is so your tip does not mushrrom on your shooting cue so much. For guys breaking at speeds of 21 and up this is sometimes an issue. If you are breaking at 16 to 17, you could break with your shooter and probably have better control also.
Sounds like you already ordered/possibly paid for the cue on order, I'm sure it will be very nice. Keep practicing your break and try to get it up around the 20MPH range. :thumbup:

mdavis228
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Some require/prefer a deposit.
Most of what you ask you should discuss w/ the maker to satisfy your questions.

Mike in MN
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I generally do a half & half situation. I put half down of the original asking price as a deposit, and I pay the other half upon completion. You're working with a reputable guy, so you dont have anything to worry about.

I will also second something that has already been said. Don't pester the guy for updates (we all saw what happened between Weiru and Sirca). Writing every few days asking for updates and pictures will surely annoy anyone.

9 ball
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
No the whole asking for updates all the time won't be a problem, I'll be on holiday for most of the build.

9 ball
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Just sent an email to Trevor at Carolina cues to confirm with him the go ahead with the build when he can, but haven't received a reply to say he got my message?. Is this anything to be worried about?.

chuckpilegis
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I've had 2 cues built at Carolina Customs.Both were about 1,000.00
No deposit,Paid for both when they were done.
I think both were done in under 4 months.
Only thing is I hear that the cue business wont be there primary line of work anymore.
I also see that Matt isnt working there anymore.
I didnt see them at Valley Forge this year so I dont know what there status is.