PDA

View Full Version : More Position Drills Needed not more aiming

Johnnyt
06-17-2010, 06:08 AM
I never did many drills for the first 50+ years of playing. I would just remember which shots and position shots I missed in a money game more than I should. The next day I would practice just those 2 or 3 shots until I felt I had them down. Now once or twice a week I spend half my playing time on both practice drills and shot-making drills. They have helped me to have a lot less tough cuts and long shots.

I really think doing this would help just about any player no matter what his/her rating is. Knowing how the QB acts with different english on shots alone will raise your position play a lot. Sorry if this is too captain obvious but I really feel that a lot of players on here spend too much time on aiming and shot-making and very little on speed and position play. Like the old pros use to say, "you have to control the QB". Johnnyt

peteypooldude
06-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Johnny T,
You are absolutely correct about position play,it is critical in running out.You have to practice position play no matter how you aim
Peteypooldude

poolplayer2093
06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
you talking all that logic stuff is crazy. there's some equipment junkie that can't play a lick furious because you're telling them something that might actually help their game

Kickin' Chicken
06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
I never did many drills for the first 50+ years of playing. I would just remember which shots and position shots I missed in a money game more than I should. The next day I would practice just those 2 or 3 shots until I felt I had them down. Now once or twice a week I spend half my playing time on both practice drills and shot-making drills. They have helped me to have a lot less tough cuts and long shots.

I really think doing this would help just about any player no matter what his/her rating is. Knowing how the QB acts with different english on shots alone will raise your position play a lot. Sorry if this is too captain obvious but I really feel that a lot of players on here spend too much time on aiming and shot-making and very little on speed and position play. Like the old pros use to say, "you have to control the QB". Johnnyt

Yes, and perhaps most notably, Mr. Ervolino.

Good points, Johnny. Speed control and position play win matches.

BTW, nice avatar. Is this one just a transition avatar right before you unveil your new Diamond barbox avatar? lol! ;)

Best,
Brian kc

Johnnyt
06-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Yes, and perhaps most notably, Mr. Ervolino.

Good points, Johnny. Speed control and position play win matches.

BTW, nice avatar. Is this one just a transition avatar right before you unveil your new Diamond barbox avatar? lol! ;)

Best,
Brian kc

That was my nursing school grad picture. I can't make it bigger. I'll change it to something else soon. Johnnyt

KoolKat9Lives
06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
That was my nursing school grad picture. I can't make it bigger. I'll change it to something else soon. Johnnyt

Nurse? Dang, I had you as an old schooler, rough and tumble kinda man. ;) J/K!

KK9 <-- knew JT had a softer side in him somewhere :thumbup:

Johnnyt
06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Nurse? Dang, I had you as an old schooler, rough and tumble kinda man. ;) J/K!

KK9 <-- knew JT had a softer side in him somewhere :thumbup:

LOL. Before becoming a nurse in 87 I was a biker, criminal, business owner, and many, many more not so nice things. I knew I couldn't take back the things I'd done, but I figured I could give something back as a nurse. Johnnyt

ShootingArts
06-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Johnny,

Most folks give lip service to cue ball control but few put in the hours. Years ago I had a decent game. It became a take on all comers game when I spent two years or more focused on cue ball control. I often kept people on the table a lot longer than they should have stayed because they thought the "lucky rolls" would have to turn their way sooner or later. Few realized own the cue ball and you own the luck too. :D :D :D

Hu

gonzbo1
06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I've only been playing about 4 months and I realized my practice consisted of basically shooting around, like an idiot. So I bought a book, which i got made fun of for.. which you'd be surprised how many people make fun of you when you really want to get better at something, anyhow now that my practices actually have a direction and i'm learning about positioning i'm making more balls consistantly, rather than making a hard shot and being screwed. so i guess what i'm trying to say is.... uh, I agree.

Sharkey
06-17-2010, 11:14 AM
this is one of my favorite position drills that I got from Thorston. The idea is to pocket the ball in the corner and hit each ball in order, three misses and you start over.

stljohnny
06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
this is one of my favorite position drills that I got from Thorston. The idea is to pocket the ball in the corner and hit each ball in order, three misses and you start over.

there's no diagram, but it sounds like this drill, which i also really enjoy:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@2Aawl2BayX2CasI2DNtj1EAOj1FNtj3HNsH1PATU@

Spot an object ball on the 1x1 diamond corner, the CB on the headspot. Make the object ball and get the CB to land within 1-ball's width of each of the balls along the rail. Do it in order.

I learned about the subtleties of english the first time i tried this drill (shortly after learning about english in general). 1/2 vs whole tip actually does make a difference! lol

Sharkey
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry has issues with the table
START(
%AD6Z4%CU1U6%DN6I0%ET7O4%FH6H9%JT4I2%KH7O5%LN7O4%M N9U7%NH7U6
%Pg9V9%UE2Y6%Vf8W1%_G9U9%`C2W8%aE0Y8
)END

pooljunkie4ever
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I totally agree that drills will improve your game, but if you really want to improve, work on your rhythm. Whether its fast or slow, find your groove and you will see improvment.

I speak for myself, whenever I a playing good, i am making balls, running out and controlling whitey. When I am playing bad, I am thinking that whitey didn't end up where I planned, I got a bad roll, u know negative stuff. What I am trying to say, if you try to hard to control whitey, it can hurt your game. So, accept the shot you get and fire it in the hole. If everything works out, you will get back in line and run out. Just my 2cts.

JoeW
06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Here is a cue ball control practice routine that has a lot to offer. It is not original with me as referenced in the article. Sometimes old things can be good.

http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/CBControl1.htm

Cameron Smith
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
One thing I've noticed, the better shotmaker you are, the easier position play becomes.;)

That said, I've never been a drill guy. There are only one or two that I do. I think the best way to learn proper cb, is to play through a game of whatever and once you miss a position, set it up and play it again until you get a feel for it.

The 12 rail position shots are really cool to know, but if you can identify the routine ones that your iffy with, and practice those it will help your game imensely. That and practicing killing the cue ball, that simplifies thigns greatly too.

BRKNRUN
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
One thing I've noticed, the better shotmaker you are, the easier position play becomes.;)

Bingo.......Pro's get out of line but they are such good shotmakers they shoot themselves back in line.

I was going to post on this but you beat me to it....I think position drills are important...but even more important is mechanics drills that build a solid repeatable consistent stroke.

I know when I miss 99% of the time it is stroke breakdown not aim.

Golfers hit thousands and thousands of balls working on nothing more than mechanics.

More and more the best pool players are going to be the ones with the best mechanics.

Jim Furyk is probably the end of the bad mechanics era in Golf....(and even he has spot on mechanics "at impact")....The days of Arne and Lee and Chi Chi are no more for Golf.....ALL the top Golfers put in an insane amount of time working on mechanics.

The same may be happening to Pool.

Note: This is not a argument for Elbow Drop or no Elbow Drop!!!!:eek:;)