PDA

View Full Version : Bank pool

Fuji-whopper
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.gpisci.com/

Anyone have any feedback or insight on this tool? I want to order it but I am a cheap ass, am going to read "Banking with the Beard" soon and figure this thing couldn't hurt.

Thank you,
Neil

TheBook
06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Just watched the video. He should enter the bank tournament at the Derby.

I guess it would be ok if you got $20 that you want to get rid of. Might be the best $20 you ever spent if it works for you.

K Knight
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
IMHO Read the book, don't bother with contraptions. Nothing can take the place of good ol' fashioned practice.

There is some good stuff in the book, but without practicing it you're not going to notice immediate results.

Neil
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Neil
06-17-2010, 12:14 PM

deadstroke13
06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
If I were you I'd just work on your banks natually self taught. Its alot about muscle memory and memorization. 1 key rule to remember the less you hit the object ball fuul on the more angle you will get. The more angles you hit the object ball full on the less angles you will get.

irock
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Neil, I was wondering what the little wooden rods and weels were for. Two out of three do look like repeats. If you put banks where you want them, they are very easy. It is totally different when they are far a part, or you have too use spin to keep from double kissing. I use a system I came up with that really improved my banking, and combinations. Oops, I said that six letter word.

dabarbr
06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
He doesn't show the training wheels in use. But, after reading everything on his website, any player B- or above will definitely feel ripped off. What he has is a little wheel, the stick goes in the wheel. Then you place the wheel with the stick pointing up across from the pocket you are banking to, and one table width away from the pocket. (The mirror system), then, you just aim the ob at the stick.

Good for beginners to get a feel for banks. Not much more than that.

It sounds like someone we know invested the $20.

Neil
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

mullyman
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
The best banker I've ever known was the late great Gary Spaeth. In my humble opinion he was one of the best bank players in the world. As an example, I saw Billy I interviewing Efren before his bank match against Gary at Derby City. Bill asked Efren how he felt going into his match against Gary and asked him "which game would you prefer to play against Gary, one pocket or banks?" Efren replied "9-ball" haha!! Anyway, I asked Gary one time how I could get better at banking and his reply was straight forward "shoot them until you don't miss them anymore." He didn't have any system advice. Just shoot them until you don't miss.
MULLY

justnum
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
There is a great deal of geometry and physics in pool. In short each shot is a small physics problem. I don't tell students to just go home and practice the same mistakes over and over again. I ask them to tell me their understanding and I try to repair any false misconceptions.

Pool is the same way. If you don't know how to use the diamond system you can learn from experimental practice. But the learning curve is a lot faster with some type of manual that has a clear explanation.

Usually the manuals are written in a self-contained language and require translation.

I thought Reyes doesn't speak English.

mullyman
06-18-2010, 01:33 AM
There is a great deal of geometry and physics in pool. In short each shot is a small physics problem. I don't tell students to just go home and practice the same mistakes over and over again. I ask them to tell me their understanding and I try to repair any false misconceptions.

Pool is the same way. If you don't know how to use the diamond system you can learn from experimental practice. But the learning curve is a lot faster with some type of manual that has a clear explanation.

Usually the manuals are written in a self-contained language and require translation.

Why would you think he doesn't speak English? His speaking is a bit broken but his listening is pretty good. I've talked to him a few times, and i teach English as a second language, damn near 20 years now, so I know he's not just standing there saying yes.
MULLY

MOJOE
06-18-2010, 04:56 AM

I'm with Mully on this one.. I played and spoke to Efren this year at the DCC.. His English was a bit broken but we had no trouble communicating.. He was so humble and a very nice man too!

justnum
06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Usually the videos posted with him have him playing pool and not talking.

Maniac
06-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Oops, I said that six letter word.

Yep, the "S" word. Go wash your mouth out with soap :grin::grin::grin:!!!

Maniac

336Robin
06-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Fuji Whopper,
I read both of Freddy's books and the best thing that I got from them is located in the tables of allowances. I did a lot of staring at the pages to try and figure out how he was understanding those banks. What happened is I came up with my own way and using his allowances which are standards that state what can be done to a ball and how much effect it will have in diamonds position with a given stroke are priceless.

I have written a lot of my bank methods down but the book is far off in coming. The hardest skill to learn in banking is the passover banks. While Freddy understands why he does what he does this is an instance where feel is pretty big and there are a few things central to learning the art that I didnt see in Freddys books.

Dont get me wrong Freddys books are awesome and they are the first real material on the subject and worthy of being in anyones collection as they are in mine.

You have to learn what can be done with the ball when it comes to adding back angle and taking it off and how much effect different things have in respect to that and learn to do each.

And truthfully you can hit the balls for 50 yrs and if you dont understand what your doing you just wont ever be consistent. Thats why I love Bank Pool there is no slop in it. You have to understand what you do and a guy that understands the Banks is a dangerous man to deal with. He will be an awesome safety player and he is able to come with something when he needs to---of course providing he can get safe if he misses. If he can he is going to be a hard man to deal with.

Standard One rail banks is where you start and you have to learn them from all table positions.

Then full table banks- the are sensitive to english and the amount of corrections to correct are smaller with speed only.

The whole time be working with passovers.

You will do it and when you have you'll sure be proud of yourself because you'll be hard to deal with when youre down.

336robin:thumbup:

Banks
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Experiment with your banks. That would be my best suggestion.

See what kind of english you can transfer. See how using top/bottom affects the bank. The same with fast and slow banks. And when you miss and it 3-rails into the side, etc, make note of it and see how that bank also works. 2-rail a shot from the side to short rail and bank with speed and without. You will need to understand the english that the OB picks up after rail hits for multiple-rail shots.

With avoidance shots, the first you'll probably learn will be the hard draw (with inside) to avoid the double-kiss on a cross-corner. Next will be the thin bank back to the corner with english to pull the CB to the rail while the OB crosses over it. After all that, using english to cut the angle on the same type of shot while bringing the CB back up-table in front of the thin bank back to the corner. With avoidance banks, you'll need to be able to judge the imparting english while hitting the CB at the appropriate speed to keep it out of the way of the OB.

While the mirror system may help some, I think it's a horrible way to bank as it does not take into account speed (CB, table/rail) and english. If you're going to learn banking, you need to understand the leaves as well.

I repeat.. experiment with your banks and see what's possible. Some things are easier than they look.. others quite the opposite.

robleyf7
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
The best banker I've ever known was the late great Gary Spaeth. In my humble opinion he was one of the best bank players in the world. As an example, I saw Billy I interviewing Efren before his bank match against Gary at Derby City. Bill asked Efren how he felt going into his match against Gary and asked him "which game would you prefer to play against Gary, one pocket or banks?" Efren replied "9-ball" haha!! Anyway, I asked Gary one time how I could get better at banking and his reply was straight forward "shoot them until you don't miss them anymore." He didn't have any system advice. Just shoot them until you don't miss.
MULLY

i think the best banker ever was would be Eddie Taylor of course i never seen Gary spaeth i.m sure he was a great banker as well

an as for the video on this guy banking the shots he was banking are all straight in banks the cross banks are fairly easy too if he wants too make another video an just throw an ob anywheres on the table an throw the cb anywheres an then bank it/cross bank that would be much impressive

if u know what angle an what diamond goes where then its easy i use the Diamonds to bank shots i.ll try an put up a video of me banking an show u how easy it is

greyghost
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
i think the best banker ever was would be Eddie Taylor of course i never seen Gary spaeth i.m sure he was a great banker as well

an as for the video on this guy banking the shots he was banking are all straight in banks the cross banks are fairly easy too if he wants too make another video an just throw an ob anywheres on the table an throw the cb anywheres an then bank it/cross bank that would be much impressive

if u know what angle an what diamond goes where then its easy i use the Diamonds to bank shots i.ll try an put up a video of me banking an show u how easy it is

don't forget about the half ball hit or (CTE AIM) most every bank can be made aiming for a half ball hit and using speed to adjust....a new player not knowing where to aim a bank can quickly learn to adjust the angle of the OB with speed with a CTE aim thats easy to execute...

there are many methods but this has always been one of my favs as it very much builds stroke memory

robleyf7
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
don't forget about the half ball hit or (CTE AIM) most every bank can be made aiming for a half ball hit and using speed to adjust....a new player not knowing where to aim a bank can quickly learn to adjust the angle of the OB with speed with a CTE aim thats easy to execute...

there are many methods but this has always been one of my favs as it very much builds stroke memory

yup you are so Right

Scott Lee
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
justnum...Experimental practice is good, but best utilized if you can set up the EXACT same bank, to shoot over and over. Small differences will make duplicating the same bank difficult. Using hole reinforcements is the best way to shoot the exact same shot over and over. At the same time, practicing the same thing to extreme is counter-productive to good, disciplined practice.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com