PDA

View Full Version : what percent of the time....

jdxprs
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
what percent of the time do you think someone could make the 8 on the break?

im talking about someone who has practiced breaking at the second ball, and it very good at it.

Mike in MN
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Over the past three practice sessions, I've practiced the second ball break. I've hit it probably close to 60 times, and I haven't made the damn 8 once. I'm getting great movement on it. It's going toward the side pretty much everytime, sometimes it'll even travel down towards far corners. Haven't had one plop yet though.

So to answer your question ... for me, 0% :p

justadub
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I've played between 2 to 4 times a week for the last 10 months, and made the eight a total of two times. The first time I didn't even see it fall, I had turned my head away and heard a ball drop. Had to go over to the pocket to see which ball fell. Doh! :p

Had it happen to me by my opponents at least 4 times.

Nostroke
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
The pros only make the 9 on the break one out of 35 so I'd guess about 1 in 60 on a nine footer, maybe a bit better on a bar table.

ShootingArts
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I was on the receiving end of three times out of four on a bar table. The fourth time the eight ball that had been slow rolling in the side was rolling dead in line to do it again and stopped less than an inch from falling.

Hu

Thunderball
06-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I had an apa 3 on my eight ball team. Not a very good shot. Won the lag,played the 8 in the side. Break two puts the 8 in a top corner. Two shots. Two wins. Match over. The other player was HOT. Lol. Pretty amazing to see.

mikeyfrost
06-17-2010, 02:39 PM
give them a 100 tries and they have to make it 2 times to push and 3 to win money. You rack the balls not them.

randyg
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
On a Bar table, one out of twenty-five tries....bet on it...SPF=randyg

K Knight
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Break the 3rd ball not the second with draw on a bar box and take the eight right in the side. 1 out of 20 if I was just snapping racks and didn't have to get interrupted by playing that annoying game. I only got good at the silly game so it took less time between when I get to try and break the eight. That's where the real skill comes in.:cool:

K Knight
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Break the 3rd ball not the second with draw on a bar box and take the eight right in the side. 1 out of 20 if I was just snapping racks and didn't have to get interrupted by playing that annoying game. I only got good at the silly game so it took less time between when I get to try and break the eight. That's where the real skill comes in.:cool:

That was with my schuler, not a break cue. no way I could get that kind of English with a break cue. Hit the third ball with a break cue and you'll take out a spectator. (not advised)

MitchAlsup
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
1%-to-3%

Our bar often goes a couple of weeks between an 8 on the break, but one night two of us did it within a couple minutes of each other.

There are break shots that include high percentage scratches that have higher probabilities.

zy112
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I'll go as high as 5%

tucson9ball
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
what percent of the time do you think someone could make the 8 on the break?

im talking about someone who has practiced breaking at the second ball, and it very good at it.

Hmmm, I would say 1 in 25 on a bar box and maybe 1 in 45 or 50 on the 9ft.

peteypooldude
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I have done a lot of breaking on the 2nd ball and made a lot of 8 balls,but my percentage is way higher breaking close to the center,and putting a solid hit on the head ball and running out.Some tables give up 8s and some dont
Peteypooldude

center pocket
06-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I was warming up with a guy right before a local 8 ball tournie once. The guy was maybe a c+ or b- player at best. We were warming up on a 9 ft olhausen and he snapped it in 3 times in a row on me! I couldnt believe it! I have never seen it happen even twice in a row since.

woody_968
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Keep in mind a lot of this would depend on how the balls are racking. It would be interesting to see someone spend some time doing this with a magic rack to see how they react with a perfect rack each time. It may be better off having a gap somewhere in the rack.

ShootingArts
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind a lot of this would depend on how the balls are racking. It would be interesting to see someone spend some time doing this with a magic rack to see how they react with a perfect rack each time. It may be better off having a gap somewhere in the rack.

The first rack when JA broke in three in a row on me, almost four, was a good tight rack. I'll grant it might not have been perfect but it was good, maybe perfect. When he called the pocket he was making the eight in I made sure the next three racks were perfect, no gaps, straight on the table and on the spot.

Hu

Mike in MN
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM

My initial post on this thread was this:

Over the past three practice sessions, I've practiced the second ball break. I've hit it probably close to 60 times, and I haven't made the damn 8 once. I'm getting great movement on it. It's going toward the side pretty much everytime, sometimes it'll even travel down towards far corners. Haven't had one plop yet though.

I used a Magic Rack for at least half of those tries, so we'll call it 30-40, and I came up dry on all of them.

mullyman
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I was warming up with a guy right before a local 8 ball tournie once. The guy was maybe a c+ or b- player at best. We were warming up on a 9 ft olhausen and he snapped it in 3 times in a row on me! I couldnt believe it! I have never seen it happen even twice in a row since.

The odds of making the 9 on the break 3 times in a row are astronomical, although it does happen, I've done it once. I would imagine making the 8 is even more difficult. It was pure luck that he made it 3 times in a row and in all fairness, if you lose a match like that all you can do is laugh about it because the planets aligned to screw you. Also, it's not too difficult to call either side pocket and then take credit like you meant to do it. The ball is going that direction. Call the 8 in any of the corners and make it consistently and then I'll give props that making the 8 on the break is a skill shot. Until then, luck.
MULLY

Mike in MN
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
The odds of making the 9 on the break 3 times in a row are astronomical, although it does happen, I've done it once. I would imagine making the 8 is even more difficult. It was pure luck that he made it 3 times in a row and in all fairness, if you lose a match like that all you can do is laugh about it because the planets aligned to screw you. Also, it's not too difficult to call either side pocket and then take credit like you meant to do it. The ball is going that direction. Call the 8 in any of the corners and make it consistently and then I'll give props that making the 8 on the break is a skill shot. Until then, luck.
MULLY

I made the 9 on the snap three out of four games before. The only time it didn't fall, it was hanging in the pocket and the 1 was a few inches away from it for the easy 1-9 combo. I finished off 4 racks with 5 strokes of the cue.

No reason for me to post this, other than to brag a little :grin:

TX Poolnut
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Several years ago, I entered a very small 8-ball tourney on bar boxes. Race to 2 on both sides.

I used the second ball break and broke the 8-ball in 4 times in a row over the course of 3 matches.

mullyman
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I made the 9 on the snap three out of four games before. The only time it didn't fall, it was hanging in the pocket and the 1 was a few inches away from it for the easy 1-9 combo. I finished off 4 racks with 5 strokes of the cue.

No reason not to brag, man. It feels good to do something like that. I've had 2 in a row quite a few times but I'm pretty sure 3 in a row was just that one time. I remember reading something about the odds of that happening and it was outlandish. I think it was in P&B Magazine.
MULLY
damn, I have to go to class now

Billi Ardball
06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I made 3 in a race to 21 with my buddy on a Valley. One was a scratch though and the race went 41 games.

TheBook
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I have done 2 in a row on a BB. A friend of mine had 5 in a row laid on him on a BB.

Mike in MN
06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
A friend of mine had 5 in a row laid on him on a BB.

Ouch, seriously. The odds of that must be astronomical.

Lexicologist71
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
About a month ago I was playing with a friend on his 8' table. I usually go for the apex ball and a subsequent runout. I decided I'd see what I could do. I made the 8 ball on the break 3 tries out of 4. That's far from the norm, but fun just the same. I hit the second ball as fully as I could without touching the apex ball.

SMG
06-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I've probably hit only a few more 8-ball breaks hitting the second or third ball than breaking straight on. To me it's more luck than skill but there definitely are theories or concepts out there to maximize your opportunities.

SpinDoctor
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM

This is pretty common if the rack isn't perfect, the same vulnerability in the rack every time with the same break would have the 9 squirt into the corner over and over.

I would probably lose a lot of money betting if you could make that happen using the magic rack...you could pretty much empty my wallet.