PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip the Tournament Director after winning the cash?

JustinHayes
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
We have a small $5 entry tournament around here (ranges from 16-32 entrys) every Thrusday at a local bar. (The bar provides the TD with free drinks)

I used to play in this about 6-months ago and my buddy (who was a weak A-player) was the TD. He also played in it and he won it about 25% of the time... I had a lot of fun and when I won, I just took the cash and was out.

.... since I quit the APA league, I started playing this tourny again and my buddy has since moved away. The new TD is a lady who is about a D-player but does a good job running it and she also plays in it (basicly she donates).

So, last night was the second week back at this tourny and I won again (actually the first week Cody003 and I split the pot - so I guess I tied last week)..... and my son got 3rd. .... So, we're collecting our winnings and the TD has this sad look on her face as she hands over the cash. ...

... and I briefly think .. "Should I tip her?"

(I didn't, we just left and went home).... but during the NFL season, there's an office pool and it's customary (for that one) that the winner tips the guy that runs the pool.

Has anyone ever tipped the TD in a cash pool tourny? Since she's getting free drinks should I not feel bad that she donated her $5 to me?

Black-Balled
06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
...I know from experience that being a TD is 90% thankless. I've never expected a tip and wouldn't take one if offered.
That's why they get the big bucks!

Roger Long
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
It's common practice in my part of the country to tip the TD. Most TD's make very little, and have to do a lot. If good TD's aren't helped out by the players, they usually won't be around very long. :(

Roger

Bigtruck
06-18-2010, 09:20 AM
We have a small $5 entry tournament around here (ranges from 16-32 entrys) every Thrusday at a local bar. (The bar provides the TD with free drinks)

I used to play in this about 6-months ago and my buddy (who was a weak A-player) was the TD. He also played in it and he won it about 25% of the time... I had a lot of fun and when I won, I just took the cash and was out.

.... since I quit the APA league, I started playing this tourny again and my buddy has since moved away. The new TD is a lady who is about a D-player but does a good job running it and she also plays in it (basicly she donates).

So, last night was the second week back at this tourny and I won again (actually the first week Cody003 and I split the pot - so I guess I tied last week)..... and my son got 3rd. .... So, we're collecting our winnings and the TD has this sad look on her face as she hands over the cash. ...

(I didn't, we just left and went home).... but during the NFL season, there's an office pool and it's customary (for that one) that the winner tips the guy that runs the pool.

Has anyone ever tipped the TD in a cash pool tourny? Since she's getting free drinks should I not feel bad that she donated her $5 to me?

Go and watch the movie Schindlers List. Tips, Jelly, Grease....Schindler was the best. He made things happen that no one else could and in turn saved many lives.

Our local $5 tournament is actually $6. They add one dollar for the TD. It's not much but it is something. Has worked for many years.

No one should ever solicit a tip or even a thanks IMO. If they deserve a tip, a thanks or pat on the back.....you will know it. We (as a society) are too slow to show our appreciation. Let people know how much you appreciate them, it goes a long way.

Ray

hang-the-9
06-18-2010, 09:32 AM
The Th. night local tournament I play is is 15 entry (5 to the house for all night of pool, 10 in the pot), sometimes we put in 20 for an extra 5 in the pot. The top prize is usually 50,60,70, and about half the people throw the manager/orginizer a 10 or a 5 if they win or come in 2nd. I usually tip him, especially if the finals finish late.

It's pretty much like gambling winnings or a transaction you make in the room. I have sold/traded some of my computers in there to players and a few sticks here and there, and set aside about 10% for the manager as he's providing a place for me to get more business at.

If I earn something like 20$ from a set, probably no tip. 50-60, he'd get at least a 5 or a 10.

I guess the short answer with a long discription is "yes I do tip, most of the time, and so do about half the other players".

Bigtruck
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
The Th. night local tournament I play is is 15 entry (5 to the house for all night of pool, 10 in the pot), sometimes we put in 20 for an extra 5 in the pot. The top prize is usually 50,60,70, and about half the people throw the manager/orginizer a 10 or a 5 if they win or come in 2nd. I usually tip him, especially if the finals finish late.

It's pretty much like gambling winnings or a transaction you make in the room. I have sold/traded some of my computers in there to players and a few sticks here and there, and set aside about 10% for the manager as he's providing a place for me to get more business at.

If I earn something like 20$ from a set, probably no tip. 50-60, he'd get at least a 5 or a 10.

I guess the short answer with a long discription is "yes I do tip, most of the time, and so do about half the other players".

Here's a man with red carpet everywhere he goes. ;)

Ray

(hopefully not on the table though) :shocked:

TheOneGnat
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I had run a weekly tournament for about two years for free before the bar owner decided it would be a good idea to replace the most of the green felt with Crown Royal felt. I told him to give me a call when he went back to green. After about 6 months of having someone else running the tournament into the ground, I got a call from the manager telling me that the green was back and that I would be compensated as well if I came back. That next Sat I came back and brought 20 or so people with me and filled out the bracket at 32. Two locals to the bar went 2 and 3 and tried to tip me and thanking me for coming back. I didn't accept it, but the consideration is always a nice thing to have. One thing that I always like to before leaving any tournament big or small is to thank the Director for having one in the first place.

stuckart
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, In Phoenix, as Roger Long said above, it's pretty common to tip out something like 10%. I've run a ton of tourneys and people are usually pretty good about tipping. 2nd and 3rd place also tip if the pot is up there.

Typical situation (From stats of my last big tourney)

1st won $585 and tipped $40
2nd won $260 and tipped $20
3rd won $140 and tipped $10

For Weekly's usually first place is $100-$140 or so and usually get tipped $10 - $20 depending on the person. These are $5 entry tourneys and start at 7:30 and end after 1 a.m. usually.

I won a weekly tourney (26 players) in the Midwest not long ago winning $220 (I think) and I tipped the guy $30. He was a little caught off guard by this as was the 2nd place guy.

I know a lot of people do NOT tip if the TD happens to be the owner of the room or something because they are already getting theirs.

It seems like the right thing to do IMO. TD's deal with Late Players, Complaints, Handicapping Issues and Complaints, Table assignments, Tracking down people for their matches, Dealing with the Money (both in and out), and are accountable if things go wrong. Tipping 10% is nothing for you!

Also, as a TD, it's always nice to know that players respect you and the job you're doing. I always remember those players that do tip and those that tip well. If Joe Blow tipped me out once and is running late and calls to have me put him in, I'm more likely to do it than some guy that didn't tip before.

TheNewSharkster
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I run a local tournament and about half the time I get tipped. I have no expectation for a tip and the bar does pay me $25 to run it. If I do get a tip its a added bonus.

Cody003
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Actually Justin I have wondered the same as I go to the sunday tourney as well and usually win(full of D players). Considering you have to start in the losers side the following week and she gets free drinks all night and a chance of winning I believe is good enough but I always thank her and help her if needed.

Big Perm
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
A TD's job sucks.....yes, tip 10%......granted, I confess I may have forgotten to do this a couple of times, but I rarely finish in the money anyway :D

JustinHayes
06-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Actually Justin I have wondered the same as I go to the sunday tourney as well and usually win(full of D players). Considering you have to start in the losers side the following week and she gets free drinks all night and a chance of winning I believe is good enough but I always thank her and help her if needed.

Yeah, considering you help her, then you're doing your share Cody. Hunter helped her last night, so maybe that counts for something. Maybe she seemed sad because she probably doesn't want the same people winning everytime.... kind of runs off the other people. (Corey used to obviously lay-down sometimes and he would tell me that if he won too much, people wouldn't play in his tourny)

I think if/when I win again, ... I'll give her a tip. (Like we said before..."I wish I was getting free drinks like she is")

Tom In Cincy
06-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Tipping is like giving a gift... it makes two people happy, the giver and the receiver.

Tips are never expected and always appreciated.

I never expect a tip from any of the players. I always appreciate the gesture.

How much is a good tip?... a 'thank you' is more than enough.

oldzilla
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes definately ! If everything is on the up and up.

But would you give him a tip if your first place prize was 400 in a 600 added event with 60 players and purse of 3500 ?

The OP question remains in a very grey area i think !

mandersotx
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Where are the tournament location for your Thursday and Sunday events? I know some D players who would like to donate.

Also what are the sign-up times, start times, handicapped, races to what, 8-ball or 9-ball?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Buh-bye

DRW
06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, In Phoenix, as Roger Long said above, it's pretty common to tip out something like 10%. I've run a ton of tourneys and people are usually pretty good about tipping. 2nd and 3rd place also tip if the pot is up there.

Typical situation (From stats of my last big tourney)

1st won $585 and tipped $40
2nd won $260 and tipped $20
3rd won $140 and tipped $10

For Weekly's usually first place is $100-$140 or so and usually get tipped $10 - $20 depending on the person. These are $5 entry tourneys and start at 7:30 and end after 1 a.m. usually.

I won a weekly tourney (26 players) in the Midwest not long ago winning $220 (I think) and I tipped the guy $30. He was a little caught off guard by this as was the 2nd place guy.

I know a lot of people do NOT tip if the TD happens to be the owner of the room or something because they are already getting theirs.

It seems like the right thing to do IMO. TD's deal with Late Players, Complaints, Handicapping Issues and Complaints, Table assignments, Tracking down people for their matches, Dealing with the Money (both in and out), and are accountable if things go wrong. Tipping 10% is nothing for you!

Also, as a TD, it's always nice to know that players respect you and the job you're doing. I always remember those players that do tip and those that tip well. If Joe Blow tipped me out once and is running late and calls to have me put him in, I'm more likely to do it than some guy that didn't tip before.
I'm only partially quoting your post.

This in my opinion will get you a lot of grief, by the appearance of playing favorites with people that may be late. When people see this happening, the same is expected when they are late.

JustinHayes
06-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I know some D players who would like to donate.

..... Hmmm... "D Players" like the BCA women's national champions? :thumbup:

Haha.

These are way out in Farmersville at Celebration Location at 78 and 380. Thursday starts at 8pm... I think Sunday is at 3pm but I'll check on that (haven't been to that one)

It would be great to see more players, but it's a bit of a drive from Dallas.

Roy Steffensen
06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
I have been TD for lots of events, most of them working for free, and I have never received a tip, and I wouldn't accept it if someone tried to give it to me.

Possible situation.

Player A wins the tournament, but give no tip. Player B gives me $ 40 tip. I work for free.

Next event. Player A and Player B is having a situation at a table, and as a TD you need to make a call. What will you do? Will you favour the player that gives you tip? What will people think if you happen to make a bad call, and in favour of Player B? Bad calls happen every now and then, so it could be an honest mistake from you, but will they believe it?

To accept tip from players opens up a can of worms - better stay away from it.

Let the TD take % of the money or some of the green fee etc., but don't tip him/her.

TheOneGnat
06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I have been TD for lots of events, most of them working for free, and I have never received a tip, and I wouldn't accept it if someone tried to give it to me.

Possible situation.

Player A wins the tournament, but give no tip. Player B gives me $ 40 tip. I work for free.

Next event. Player A and Player B is having a situation at a table, and as a TD you need to make a call. What will you do? Will you favour the player that gives you tip? What will people think if you happen to make a bad call, and in favour of Player B? Bad calls happen every now and then, so it could be an honest mistake from you, but will they believe it?

Let the TD take % of the money or some of the green fee etc., but don't tip him/her.

Exactly why I wouldn't take one. I run the tournament for a whopping $25 and entry. I don't do it for the money, I do it to have a good tournament to play in on a weekly basis. And as long as the other players think that it is a good tournament thats good enough for me!

stevekur1
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
if he is a local tournament director, i ussually throw him a Gapper.

But if he is a part of a major tour i ussually dont since he is being paid by the room owner to be there and is ussually taking a cut of the action as well.

-Steve

tucson9ball
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Typically the TD gets their drinks for free and also gets free entry into the local tourney. Our TD also gets free pool at the pool hall during the week.
I would say that they are already getting paid, don't see any reason for a tip.
This would be different if it were some type of regional tourney, possibly a tip would be in order.

Captain K.
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Where are the tournament location for your Thursday and Sunday events? I know some D players who would like to donate.

Also what are the sign-up times, start times, handicapped, races to what, 8-ball or 9-ball?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Buh-bye

Tuseday 9 ball races to 3 double elimination JR Pockets Denton Tx. $7.00 and a break pot
Thursday 8 ball races to 2 double elimination JR Pockets Denton Tx. $5.00
tables go out at 7:30pm tournys start at 8:00pm

3rd Saturday of the month 40.00 entry handicap 9 ball dorrs open at 11:00am players meeting at 1:00pm

stuckart
06-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm only partially quoting your post.

This in my opinion will get you a lot of grief, by the appearance of playing favorites with people that may be late. When people see this happening, the same is expected when they are late.

I guess I'm more talking about the tournament is starting in 5 minutes and I'm about to do the DRAW and they call in. If I know the person's word is good they are going to show up then I'll put em in. I won't go through the headache to put that guy in that didn't tip last time, he might not even show up, or will come super late and cause an issue.

stuckart
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Possible situation.

If you have to question your TD's integrity on whether to call a shot one way or another based on a perceived tip, then I wouldn't want to play in that tournament in the first place.

I personally love the game waaaaaaaay more than any lump sum, so this is really a non-issue.

I really think Tipping or not is different in different areas. Here in Phoenix, most rooms match the Pot's so they pay out 200% to the players. The TD's only make $20-$30 for a tournament. There are a few that charge $12 for entry and $2 goes to the TD, others are $7 and the same thing, but most just charge the Players the $5 or $10 entry and the bar matches that amount. 200% payout to the players for a $5 investment is a great deal. If the top 2 pay out the TD for all the work, then everyone wins!

Roy Steffensen
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
If you have to question your TD's integrity on whether to call a shot one way or another based on a perceived tip, then I wouldn't want to play in that tournament in the first place.

I personally love the game waaaaaaaay more than any lump sum, so this is really a non-issue.

I really think Tipping or not is different in different areas. Here in Phoenix, most rooms match the Pot's so they pay out 200% to the players. The TD's only make $20-$30 for a tournament. There are a few that charge $12 for entry and $2 goes to the TD, others are $7 and the same thing, but most just charge the Players the $5 or $10 entry and the bar matches that amount. 200% payout to the players for a $5 investment is a great deal. If the top 2 pay out the TD for all the work, then everyone wins!

Why not just let the poolhall who host the tournament pay the TD, or let him take a % of the entries?

If you want pool to grow as a sport you can't have the players paying the TD.

stuckart
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Why not just let the poolhall who host the tournament pay the TD, or let him take a % of the entries?

Tournaments that Advertise 200% payout for a mere weekly tournament bring in many more players than a room paying out 90% with 10% going to the TD.

No one deems that you have to tip out, the same as no one deems you have to tip the bartender. Why is it you tip the bartender? Because they don't make that much an hour? Similiar to a TD, right.

The poolhall pays the TD $20-$30 for the 5-7 hours of running a tournament. And they match the pot as well, which could be a lot of money. 30 players * $5/each = $150 + $30 for the TD is $180 the pool hall is putting in. That's $300 of total payout for a $5 entry tournament. 1st place would pay $160 or so. Tip the TD $20 and everyone is happy.

Bigtruck
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM

I agree with Roy on this one. If the TD is reputable, why would he do anything that might give the impression of impropriety. The TD should be paid.

I do believe in tipping and spreading the love, but TD is not a place I ever have or plan to.

If I ever found out a TD was NOT getting paid, I would no longer attend that event.

Ray

Bigtruck
06-18-2010, 04:56 PM
No one deems that you have to tip out, the same as no one deems you have to tip the bartender. Why is it you tip the bartender? Because they don't make that much an hour? Similiar to a TD, right.

Wrong. The bartender cannot do anything that will affect the customers income.

The bar should pay the TD a fair amount and add the rest to the tournament. TD remains neutral and fair to all players.

Ray

DRW
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Typically the TD gets their drinks for free and also gets free entry into the local tourney. Our TD also gets free pool at the pool hall during the week.
I would say that they are already getting paid, don't see any reason for a tip.
This would be different if it were some type of regional tourney, possibly a tip would be in order.
Hey, I pay for my beer.:D My first goal of every tournament I play in is making enough to pay my tab. Don't happen all the time.

stuckart
06-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Wrong. The bartender cannot do anything that will affect the customers income.

The bar should pay the TD a fair amount and add the rest to the tournament. TD remains neutral and fair to all players.

Ray

The bartender could not serve you, or pour you a weak or strong drink, depending on your needs.

Like I said before, I guess it's different in different parts of the country. Most of the TD's in Phoenix get paid little by the Room and account for tips to make them coming back to do more tournaments. There are anywhere from 70 - 85 weekly tournaments across town, so people choose to go play where they know and trust the TD's.

Do tournaments in your area match the pot on weekly's? I told a Wisconsin Room owner last year about what has worked to grow tournaments in Phoenix, by paying out 200% and he laughed and said that he could never afford to do that. And 2 years later he's still having little to no tournaments.

Bigtruck
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The bartender could not serve you, or pour you a weak or strong drink, depending on your needs.

Like I said before, I guess it's different in different parts of the country. Most of the TD's in Phoenix get paid little by the Room and account for tips to make them coming back to do more tournaments. There are anywhere from 70 - 85 weekly tournaments across town, so people choose to go play where they know and trust the TD's.

Do tournaments in your area match the pot on weekly's? I told a Wisconsin Room owner last year about what has worked to grow tournaments in Phoenix, by paying out 200% and he laughed and said that he could never afford to do that. And 2 years later he's still having little to no tournaments.

Hi Jerry!

The Clubs here add $3 per man on average to weekly tournaments. $6 entry with $5 going to the pot and $1 to the TD. The TD got no free booze, just sodas. No free entry. Anything you wanted, you just paid for it with the money you earned as a TD.

They have had 24-32 for over 10yrs, every one.

Funny, same bunch of guys has met and competed for years, with new ones coming and going. Lot of fun.

Ray

jay helfert
06-19-2010, 05:57 AM
I accept all tips! Thank you :)

cueandcushion
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I think tipping the TD is a bad idea. Otherwise why don't you see other sports having the players tip the referees? Could you see a baseball ump getting tipped by the team that won...you know for having "fair" calls?:eek: Giving them a standard fee I think will make them more likely to be impartial. Of course....there are exceptions to every rule.

Snapshot9
06-19-2010, 09:37 PM
but hell no. That is the responsibility of the bar or Poolroom. Besides most little tournaments don't pay much to begin with. For me, if a tournament pays less than $80 for first, it is debatable whether I will enter or not.

Otherwise, I could spend the time playing money games and make more money than what the tournament would pay.

BTW, I only play at Poolrooms, no bars. Bar tournaments never work out in the long run, ever.

ironman
06-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I accept all tips! Thank you :)

I wastold not to bet on the sprs. That was the last tip I got!

ironman
06-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I think tipping the TD is a bad idea. Otherwise why don't you see other sports having the players tip the referees? Could you see a baseball ump getting tipped by the team that won...you know for having "fair" calls?:eek: Giving them a standard fee I think will make them more likely to be impartial. Of course....there are exceptions to every rule.

maybe but Ithink TD"S doing it for nothing is a very bad idea.