PDA

View Full Version : do you think anyone will ever come up with a new cue construction?

Piercyexclusive
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm asking this cause it seems as though every time I see a cue they all seem to have a same aesthetic look about them points all even and rings on the bottom of the point....etc.....know what I mean....I think I'm going to make something different something that's constructed differently ..... 4 points but different.... made different and no even points,......what do you all think can it be done and still look good? hit me up.....

manwon
06-18-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm asking this cause it seems as though every time I see a cue they all seem to have a same aesthetic look about them points all even and rings on the bottom of the point....etc.....know what I mean....I think I'm going to make something different something that's constructed differently ..... 4 points but different.... made different and no even points,......what do you all think can it be done and still look good? hit me up.....

How many cues have you disassembled? I agree that many designs are similar, however, that is based upon what people want. Some people like floating points but they are starting to fall out favor, Some people like short spliced cues, and some like inlay-ed or CNC pointed cues but where the real business hits the road is how cues are assembled.

I would recommend buying some cues and taking them apart you may be surprised what you find.

JIMO

Piercyexclusive
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
I mean like no cnc work like you see everywhere and floating points none of that I disassembled a few cues....and my what a surprise sometimes...I mean something new.....new construction.....where the asthetics are part of the construction. to change the meaning of asthetic to function... meaning what ever design is on the cue it is also part of the hit of the cue not just the looks....would you be interested in seeing pictures should I come up with something new in a few days? I will work my ass off for a new design /construction.....what do you do?

JoeyInCali
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I have a headache now.

greyghost
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I mean like no cnc work like you see everywhere and floating points none of that I disassembled a few cues....and my what a surprise sometimes...I mean something new.....new construction.....where the asthetics are part of the construction. to change the meaning of asthetic to function... meaning what ever design is on the cue it is also part of the hit of the cue not just the looks....would you be interested in seeing pictures should I come up with something new in a few days? I will work my ass off for a new design /construction.....what do you do?

design on a cue is already part of its functionality

Quick Examples:
4pt full spliced cues
Half/short spliced cues (splices stiffen up the forearm)

both stiffen up the front of the cue butt and are functional in adjusting weight and balance

but YES if you have an idea many of us would love to have a look and possibly help you develop something new....

you never know what the tide may bring

best wishes,
-Grey Ghost-

vasilios
06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Post up some drawings.let us see how far outside the box you can engineer and still maintain function.some of your ideas might have allready been done 60 years ago and passed on.

bill

TATE
06-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Honestly, it's amazing what the cue makers can do today. The complex inlays from diverse materials, the improved technology from shafts to tips to wood choices, the use of synthetics like G-10 and other phenolics. The cues of today are actually quite remarkable.

They use points for playing cues because people who buy cues like the traditional look, but the sky's the limit, or the budget is, on designs. You have to check out the cue shows and some advanced collections to see the staggering work being done.

Check out this PFD Hustler cue at Cuezilla (Cue #43) :www.cuezilla.com

Chris

sunnyone
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
i have an interest -- purely fashion, not function -- in an all black cue.

basic black, no inlays, no frills.

but ... my game is so lame that the cue doesn't make much difference at this stage.

sunny

Piercyexclusive
06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
hey got something made .... wanna see pics took me about 9 hours since I posted last......I think it might look good but not sure if I want the pics out to just anyone........

LAlouie
06-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I mean like no cnc work like you see everywhere and floating points none of that I disassembled a few cues....and my what a surprise sometimes...I mean something new.....new construction.....where the asthetics are part of the construction. to change the meaning of asthetic to function... meaning what ever design is on the cue it is also part of the hit of the cue not just the looks

You DO realize, don't you, that prongs have a functional use first and foremost. The breakdown of said prongs into inlays and veneers are all aesthetic variations of the basic(prong) functionality. There is also a theory held by some that the more you break down the basic cue shape into interlocking and inlayed parts, the more you compromise the true hit of the cue. You would be cutting away the essential core of the cue and replacing it with stuff.

I believe you're approach is antithetical to your goal because your first stated reason is "they all seem to have a same aesthetic look about them". In other words, first and foremost, you are bored with the same look. Prongs/points are functionally and aesthetically perfect for the shape of the cue. What should be driving you is to improve a perceived flaw in a cue's hit. Nothing has changed much in terms of quality hit over the decades, as some who swear by Szamboti and Balabushka will attest. Seems to me, the most noticeable differences in hit come from the various types of woods used, shaft construction, and joint/tip construction, none of which has anything to do with basic cue construction. In fact if there's one overriding characteristic I have found in good hitting cues, it is that they are simply constructed.

TheBook
06-19-2010, 07:25 AM

There have been a few different constructions and designs but players tend to embrace old style traditional cues. For some reason many players want full splice cue or cues with sharp points. Don't like cues made with CNC and etc. Cue makers have to make what sells to survive. The other is setting up to make something different. Get with Ernie he likes to make challenging designs but it will cost you.

Your post reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie were they were getting uniforms for their band they wanted them to be the same but different.

rayjay
06-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Cues are functional art. A true artist will always come up with something new/creative that hasn't been done before. To do this, they must know what has been done already. I do understand that many cuemakers are artists that build cues in a traditional manner, using tried and proven methods, applying their art in ways other than construction.

Kerry Zeiler (who recently passed away) was a former radiologist-turned-cuemaker that was given access to a large collection of the most famous maker's cues to x-ray many years ago. He would not reveal their "secrets", but began to build cues that played amazingly well, supposedly using some of this, some of that, and lots of Kerry. RIP Kerry, you were truly an artist.

JoeyInCali
06-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Kerry Zeiler (who recently passed away) was a former radiologist-turned-cuemaker that was given access to a large collection of the most famous maker's cues to x-ray many years ago. He would not reveal their "secrets", but began to build cues that played amazingly well, supposedly using some of this, some of that, and lots of Kerry. RIP Kerry, you were truly an artist.
Somebody was fortunate enough to have seen those x-rays and have Kerry explain to him what he saw. Kerry took some of those cues from the old Best Billiards then across the street where he would X-ray them.
From those x-rays and testing the cues that really interested him, he came up with his butt taper and A-joint configuration.
The late Edwin Reyes also had a collection of x-rays. So extensive he actually made a spreadsheet of their pins, A-joint studs, diameters , buttcaps etc in diameters and lengths.

Piercyexclusive
06-19-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks everyone for your help and input I been making cues for a little while been to a few show and have always sold out when I went to one but then I would only bring about 20+ I was doing snake and insect inlays .... basically using creatures or whatever could be fun as inlays and wormed wood. The thing is I started making them without help...now this could be good or this could be bad because I never seem one made via video or in person. Good because I wont fall into thinking in the box but rather out of it..... Bad because they might not hit like what people want or what is considered to be a good hit. I don't know ....I will however be making cues till I can no more and I'm still young ... I am not rich to tear expensive cues apart to try and figure what's in it but rather I wouldn't want to know how a cue is made or what's inside because that way I can do things my way my style........ but thanks a plenty.... my new cue that I just made will have some spoiler pics in a couple days want to make sure the cue hits good.

Cornerman
06-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I was doing snake and insect inlays .... basically using creatures or whatever could be fun as inlays and wormed wood. .

Those must have been the cues we saw at Valley Forge.

Anyway, your first post seems to suggest you're so disconnected from the cuemaking world that you don't know what's out there now. Discover it.

Cuezilla.com

Regards,

Fred Agnir

Tramp Steamer
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
LA, is right. I believe it was Harvey Martin who expoused the belief that furnishings on a cue such as flat points, inlays, and such, adversely effected the hit of the cue. Or, maybe it was George Balabushka. Anyway, since form tends to follow function, I believe the cue as we know it will be around for a very long time, with the exception being the materials that they are made from. :)

P.S. Sunny, have you been smoking hippy lettuce again?

Piercyexclusive
06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
well I guess I am cause I don't seem to know what is out there I stay in the country where my closes neighbors are the cows I tend to...lol...... I try and go see what's out there I guess I just want to do whats fun for me or challenges me cause sometimes I think that if someone uses a cnc machine or a pantograph if the next person in line comes along and knows how to use one of those machines that that to could do the same aesthetic design on a cue... though the hit could and would be different. I want to see something that stands out and be in a league of their own I guess I want to be in a league of my own. maybe good or bad but my own above all else..... As for you seeing my cues at valley forge yep that was me but things have changed for me since then and on that day I sold everything I brought with me and came home with about 25 more orders.... thanks I will look at that site you suggested.

sunnyone
06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
mr. tramp ...

i had not heard the term 'hippy lettuce'?

does it refer to a bloated bibb?

a robust romaine?

always looking to learn,

sunny

Tramp Steamer
06-20-2010, 11:28 AM
mr. tramp ...

i had not heard the term 'hippy lettuce'?

does it refer to a bloated bibb?

a robust romaine?

always looking to learn,

sunny

No, my dear. It is more akin to oregano. :smile:

Scott Lee
06-20-2010, 12:55 PM
...but smells better! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

No, my dear. It is more akin to oregano. :smile:

sunnyone
06-20-2010, 07:31 PM
mr. tramp ... did you mean hippie lettuce? 'hippy' threw me off!

hippies, about which i know almost nothing, believed in fun, didn't like war and were fashion-challenged.

surely -- in your lettuce reference -- you are not referring to blunts, weed, cannabis, ganja, hemp, hashish, kief, netherweed, sinsemilla and the like?

why do so many boyos associate gateway drugs and alcohol and the like with my thoughtful musings on the vagaries of life?

sunny

ironman
06-20-2010, 09:23 PM
mr. Tramp ... Did you mean hippie lettuce? 'hippy' threw me off!

Hippies, about which i know almost nothing, believed in fun, didn't like war and were fashion-challenged.

Surely -- in your lettuce reference -- you are not referring to blunts, weed, cannabis, ganja, hemp, hashish, kief, netherweed, sinsemilla and the like?

Why do so many boyos associate gateway drugs and alcohol and the like with my thoughtful musings on the vagaries of life?

Sunny

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piercyexclusive
06-21-2010, 12:38 AM
what makes a cue a monster.... I want to make one. I stay at my house all the time and never really get out I am a stay at home father of two and sell cues for a living.... my cues are the only cues I sell. I get weird request for cues and I do it if I can but what can I do to try and accomplish a feat of making a monster cue ... is it the number of inlays or design... just dont understand that ....I mean if it's inlays I made a cue once for a guy with over 2450 thats right over 2450 inlays of silver and gold.... a stipple art work of saint micheal slaying a dragon in gold and silver. with silver cross ingraved and inlayed and scrimshawed ivory windows of american dragons 4 windows. and 2 silver crosses that was to look as if the cue itself went through the battle. four points with ivory dots one sided veneer r/b/w ivory joint and butt. 3/8 10 pin 8 shafts all rings accented in platinum. points thuya burl with leopard wood accents birds eyes for forearm and handle and orange amboyna for butt. could something like this even make an honorable mention..... I mean I made the cue how he wanted it though it looked as if it had imperfection but he wanted the cue to be part of the battle and not just showing the battle this was hard to do... can send some pics to give you a glimps ... I really would like to make a monster cue any advise would be great, thanks

TX Poolnut
06-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Heck yeah, we want pics of that.

What is some stuff that you have found problems doing?

Personally, I've thought about points that kinda curve around the butt as they go upward toward the pin. Sorta like they are twisting around the cue. I've never seen that done, but I'd imagine it's possible judging from the extreme things I've seen done.

Welcome to the forum.

Piercyexclusive
06-21-2010, 06:03 AM
I kow could do it would take some time though but It can be done..

Piercyexclusive
06-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Heck yeah, we want pics of that.

What is some stuff that you have found problems doing?

Personally, I've thought about points that kinda curve around the butt as they go upward toward the pin. Sorta like they are twisting around the cue. I've never seen that done, but I'd imagine it's possible judging from the extreme things I've seen done.

Welcome to the forum.
whats your email address will send to you ....

Tramp Steamer
06-21-2010, 06:21 AM
mr. tramp ... did you mean hippie lettuce? 'hippy' threw me off!

hippies, about which i know almost nothing, believed in fun, didn't like war and were fashion-challenged.

surely -- in your lettuce reference -- you are not referring to blunts, weed, cannabis, ganja, hemp, hashish, kief, netherweed, sinsemilla and the like?

why do so many boyos associate gateway drugs and alcohol and the like with my thoughtful musings on the vagaries of life?

sunny

Poolhalls. Booze. Weed. Vagaries? Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :)

Note: Ladies and Gentlemen. Do not let Miss Sunny's, and my spirited reparte' alarm you. It is only because she lives somewhere south of Houston, and I live in the hills and hollows of SW Missouri, that allows us to play off each other in a fun way.

Johnnyt
06-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Funny, I have 7 playing cues and they all play about the same to me. I wish I could say i'm a half ball better with one of them, but I can't. 2 DP's, 1 McDermett, 2 Viking with 3 shafts (1 shaft OB-1, and two cheap under $100 cues. A good well shaped tip, comfotable shaft, and a smooth straight stroke is all that's needed. Oh, and maybe a big fat blunt for my mental game.:wink:. Johnnyt

Piercyexclusive
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
There have been a few different constructions and designs but players tend to embrace old style traditional cues. For some reason many players want full splice cue or cues with sharp points. Don't like cues made with CNC and etc. Cue makers have to make what sells to survive. The other is setting up to make something different. Get with Ernie he likes to make challenging designs but it will cost you.

Your post reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie were they were getting uniforms for their band they wanted them to be the same but different.

do my new designs and construction remind you of cheech and chong now....same.....4 points but different?

MitchellThomas
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I would be happy to share some of my ideas