PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Jay!

mullyman
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Jay, do you have any stories about Gary Spaeth? I was hoping there would be one in your book but there wasn't. If you do have something, and are willing to share, I'm sure everyone would like to read it, especially myself.
MULLY

jay helfert
06-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Jay, do you have any stories about Gary Spaeth? I was hoping there would be one in your book but there wasn't. If you do have something, and are willing to share, I'm sure everyone would like to read it, especially myself.
MULLY

I remember this kid who used to tag along with his dad Joey. He never said a word just stayed in the back ground and watched the men gamble. His dad was a class act who never raised his voice and was easy to get on the table. He played all games well and was one of the top players in the country.

Years later I show up in Kentucky (early 80's) and little Gary was now a young man. Still quiet and reserved, but with cue in hand and ready to play. He proceeded to bomb the best Bank Pool players alive match after match, and really opened my eyes. My God what a monster Banker he was. Where did that come from? His dad could never bank like that.

In a field of 32 of the best Bank Pool players in the world, young Gary made it to the finals against Billy Johnson, aka Wade Crane, who was in the prime of his career. They played a match that it's a shame wasn't caught on videotape. Bang, bang, bang! Bank after bank right in the heart of the pocket. It was a wild west shootout and every player in the joint was sweating it. I couldn't believe this youngster had become such an amazing player. Gary made a name for himself in the pool world that day. When it was over and Gary had defeated the great Crane, we all walked away shaking our heads at the new Spaeth in town.

To this day, Gary remains one of the best Bankers I ever saw, right there with Truman, Jason Miller, Shannon, Brian Gregg and John Brumback. There aren't many in his league. Never have been.

mullyman
06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Jay. That literally brought a tear to my eye. He went way too young.
MULLY