PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use Mizerak brand balls?

FarmerTed111
06-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi, I saw this set of balls http://www.amazon.com/Mizerak-P0510-Premium-Phenolic-Billiard/dp/B000BB91BW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1276930350&sr=1-13 and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. The only reason I am considering buying them is because the look different and kinda cool. The only thing that I'm really worried about is I've heard some of the cheaper balls bleed their colors and I don't want any to bleed on my table. But this particular set really isn't cheap, they are about the same price as Aramith Crowns.

So what does everybody think? Should I take a chance and buy them?

Dave Nelson
06-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Judging only by the price I would think that they are not the top quality Aramith balls. I have not had good results from any balls other than the top quality.

Dave Nelson

Measle Ball
06-19-2010, 06:59 AM
I agree with Dave, the quality is likely not the very greatest given the price.

I wish Saluc made a set of Aramiths with Roman numerals- IMO that would be cool. "VIII in the corner"...

FarmerTed111
06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I wish Saluc made a set of Aramiths with Roman numerals- IMO that would be cool. "VIII in the corner"...That would be really cool. I'm surprised they haven't ever made any like that. Would you rather the 4-ball be written IIII or IV?

Blackjack
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi, I saw this set of balls http://www.amazon.com/Mizerak-P0510-Premium-Phenolic-Billiard/dp/B000BB91BW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1276930350&sr=1-13 and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. The only reason I am considering buying them is because the look different and kinda cool. The only thing that I'm really worried about is I've heard some of the cheaper balls bleed their colors and I don't want any to bleed on my table. But this particular set really isn't cheap, they are about the same price as Aramith Crowns.

I have a set. To me, they feel and play very heavy and I can't stand them. JMO.

Bob Jewett
06-19-2010, 04:40 PM
The text says: "Silk-screened numerals and stripes." I believe that translates to: "these will not last as long as models that have cast phenolic solid parts and drilled-and-filled numerals."

FarmerTed111
06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks Mr. Sapolis and Mr. Jewett, I don't know a lot --or anything-- about billiard ball construction so I thought it might be a good idea ask before I buy. Glad I did, I'm going to pass on these.

Measle Ball
06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
That would be really cool. I'm surprised they haven't ever made any like that. Would you rather the 4-ball be written IIII or IV?

I would probably write it "IV" but I think you are also correct in that it can be written "IIII". The IX and XI balls would need to have underlines for the color-blind folks like me (mainly red for me, though)...

FarmerTed111
06-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I would probably write it "IV" but I think you are also correct in that it can be written "IIII".

A friend of mine pointed out to me that the roman numeral 4 is only written as "IIII" on clock and watch faces. So, with that in mind I would like these hypothetical roman numeral pool balls to have the 4 ball written as "IIII" so that the next time somebody points at the fact that that numeral is only written that way on watches and clocks I can say, "Nuh huh, it's also written that way on a particular set of pool balls." That way I can sound like the smart ass that always has to get the last word in. Wait a minute, that's not good...Ok, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Bob Jewett
06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree with Dave, the quality is likely not the very greatest given the price.

I wish Saluc made a set of Aramiths with Roman numerals- IMO that would be cool. "VIII in the corner"...
I think Hyatt did make Roman numeral balls at the time of the US bicentennial. A good set would be pretty pricey now.

Cuebuddy
06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I think Hyatt did make Roman numeral balls at the time of the US bicentennial. A good set would be pretty pricey now.

Check em out!

FarmerTed111
06-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Check em out!

Those are sweet! I hate to ask, but what do you think would be a ball-park figure on how much that set would be worth?

Now if only somebody would make balls in Kryptonian numerals...

Bob Jewett
06-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Those are sweet! I hate to ask, but what do you think would be a ball-park figure on how much that set would be worth?

Now if only somebody would make balls in Kryptonian numerals...
Checked my Ebay notes...

The last set I saw of the Roman numeral balls on Ebay got no bid at $200 opening in 2002. This was the style that was used in the 1976 World 14.1 Championship in Asbury Park. They were called Romanique II by Albany/Hyatt. I haven't paid much attention to ball auctions for a while, so other sets might have gone by since.

I may have been mistaken about the bicentennial tie-in. Hyatt made a different design with stars to the side of each (regular) number for the bicentennial sets, and I think the cue ball was inscribed 1776-1976. Maybe a serious ball collector could fill in the details. From my Ebay notes, it looks like Aramith may also have made a bicentennial set with circles of stars around the numbers of the solids.

Measle Ball
06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the info, Bob, and cuebuddy for the snapshot. WAY cool.

Maybe Saluc could make them as a limited edition of their "Stone" series...! I would just LOVE to have a set, or ultimately, my own pool hall with them ("Rome Night" :))