PDA

View Full Version : What Does The Cue-Ball Represent?

tom mcgonagle
06-19-2010, 07:40 AM
That's right, The cue-ball. What does it really represent as it finds it's way around the table? Tell me what you think it represents and I'll tell you all, tomorrow, what I think, it represents.

This is a serious question. I'd appreciate, serious answers.

Dave Nelson
06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
This is a serious answer.

Perhaps I lack imagination but to me the cue ball rolling around the table represents the cue ball rolling around the table.

Dave Nelson

Tramp Steamer
06-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I think it represents man's search for perfection. A journey, if you will, to find out who he is and where he must travel to find his inner-self.
Birth begins at the break. Each shot is a learning experience. Each scratch a pause to reflect and to realize that only through pain comes pleasure.
As our seeker moves through the patterns that chance has placed before him, he calls upon past knowlege to help guide his way. Knowledge acquired from those who have gone before him, passing it down, one to the next.
His journey is long and his strength is beginning to ebb, yet he fears not, for nearing the end he begins to realize that all the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune have not been in vain. The bliss, so long sought, is at hand.
As the last ball falls slowly into the pocket of his life he gazes down a long tunnel of white light and there, before him, is Grandma and Elvis.

Is this what you had in mind, Tommy? :)

Note: With thanks, and apologies to William Shakespear.

KoolKat9Lives
06-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Ok, Tramp wins. Thread over.

KK9 <-- has a sudden urge to eat some mushrooms ;)

Dave Nelson
06-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, but Tramp, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Blaize Pascal

Tramp Steamer
06-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but Tramp, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Blaize Pascal

S'up Dave. Once again you have hit the nail squarely on the head. At the end of it all we're just dust in the wind dude. Dust in the wind.(1)

(1) Kansas.

grindz
06-19-2010, 08:50 AM
ME!!!!

Sometimes I fall into a hole, and need someone to help me out.

Sometimes I get caught in a mess, and need some real creative work to get me to where I need to go.

Sometimes I need to jump over a roadblock.

Sometimes I swerve around a roadblock.

Sometimes I just flow from one goal to the next w/out any effort, no problems and can just enjoy an easy tranquil life in a state of zen.

Almost always, things can be predicted, and with hard work obstacles can be avoided, or eliminated to make my path easy.

Okay, I played. :wink: Let's keep the cuestick metaphor out of this...that's for the NPR section. :eek:

td

elvicash
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
A Cue ball holds all of the players input into the system that is a shot.

The cue ball is the beginning and the end of the shot.

A good place to leave the cue ball is the exact center of the table.

A cue ball rolling off a rail acrosses the exact center of the table can never scratch.

dabarbr
06-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I think it represents man's search for perfection. A journey, if you will, to find out who he is and where he must travel to find his inner-self.
Birth begins at the break. Each shot is a learning experience. Each scratch a pause to reflect and to realize that only through pain comes pleasure.
As our seeker moves through the patterns that chance has placed before him, he calls upon past knowlege to help guide his way. Knowledge acquired from those who have gone before him, passing it down, one to the next.
His journey is long and his strength is beginning to ebb, yet he fears not, for nearing the end he begins to realize that all the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune have not been in vain. The bliss, so long sought, is at hand.
As the last ball falls slowly in the pocket of his life he gazes down a long white tunnel of light and there, before him, is Grandma and Elvis.

Is this what you had in mind, Tommy? :)

Note: With thanks, and apologies to William Shakespear.

Nope, nothing quite so profound. It represents a white cop roaming around the table knocking the colored balls around.

Blue Hog ridr
06-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Yep, tramp has a way with words don't he?
Haha, actually Grindz hit it pretty well. Couldn't have said it better.

oldzilla
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
The cueball is your vehicle. It gets you where you want to go. Out !
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tom it's a new day here and i havent seen anything yet on this thread that makes sense or answers your question as good as my response.

It is very simple, you go ahead. You back up. You turn left. You turn right. You speed up. You slow down. You can stop.
You can park it. You bounce of the guard rail. You Crash into things. You go airbourne. You can have an accident.
All the same things you do with your CAR !!!

Best thing is to arrive at your destiny !

Fatboy
06-19-2010, 12:05 PM
the CB in motion is the release of the kinetic energy that was applied to it by the body(person) holding the cue stick which srtuck the CB to start its motion or release the of kinetic energy it absorbed on impact with the tip, as it rolls its potential energy dies off due to factors such as friction of the cloth, contact with other balls, when its potential and kinetic energy equal 0 it stops.

thats my serious answere, I havent had a physicsclass in 24 years and Physics wasnt my bag, Chemestry was, but thats my best answere given my faded recollection.

best
eric:)

jay helfert
06-19-2010, 01:05 PM
That's right, The cue-ball. What does it really represent as it finds it's way around the table? Tell me what you think it represents and I'll tell you all, tomorrow, what I think, it represents.

This is a serious question. I'd appreciate, serious answers.

Good question Tom. To me the cue ball represents our flow of energy and connection with the balls, the table and the cue. If our energy flow/connection is good, the path of the cue ball represents that fact. If our energy flow is not so good, that shows up too. With the cue ball we get immediate feedback on our state of being at that moment. That's about the best I can do.

randyg
06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
What a bunch of great answers!

To me the cue ball is the mirror/result of my stroke. The cue ball tells me exactly what I did.....not what I thought I did.

Whitey never lies!

Thanks Tom....SPF=randyg

teedotaj
06-19-2010, 02:32 PM
S'up Dave. Once again you have hit the nail squarely on the head. At the end of it all we're just dust in the wind dude. Dust in the wind.(1)

(1) Kansas.

footnotes require date as well if it is the first footnote. lol

Underclocked
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
A woman. Busts your balls then hides them from view. You're left with nothing but to scratch.

conetip
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
It is what we used to make from oil,instead of wasting it.

TheBook
06-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Imperfection. For as round and smooth as a CB appears if it were increased in size proportionally to the size of the earth there would be depressions so deep that the Grand Canyon would look like a small hole and ridges so high that Mt Everest would look like a ant hill. The earth even though a little oblong would also appear to be a perfect sphere whereas the CB would be more egg shaped.

Nostroke
06-20-2010, 05:29 AM
success, mediocrity or failure.

paksat
06-20-2010, 06:00 AM
your attitude

2_Fast_4_Fleas
06-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I had a Bachlers, Then a Masters, Then i Got a PHD in colliding Spheres!

oldzilla
06-20-2010, 09:30 AM
bump for a good question without many good answers !

cigardave
06-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I just asked my cue ball what he represents and he was at a loss for words. That is, he said nothing.

cigardave
06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I just asked him again and this time he replied,

I am the alpha and the omega. I am the beginning and the end. Do or do not. There is no try.

Clearly, he represents a biblically inspired yoda.

Tramp Steamer
06-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Where in the hell is mcgonagle? He was supposed to show up today and tell us the answer to this most vexing of questions.

Which I so eloqently responded to, I might add. :smile:

Kickin' Chicken
06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
mediocrity, brilliance, mayhem, obedience, effing cueball, sweet whitey.

Best,
Brian kc

LAlouie
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The cueball is the messenger of all that you know(mental, physical, and metaphysical) in the game of billiards.

Fatboy
06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
bump for a good question without many good answers !

My answer was good, there are two types of energy kinetic and potential. So I answered the question like a half assed physicist.

I could answer it like a billiard retailer it's inventory that I want to sell as fast as possible.

I could ansesere it like Shane Von Boning "Huh?, what did you say"- just teasining buddy! :smile: don't get mad.

Best
Fatboy

pool101
06-20-2010, 01:51 PM
It is the center of the universe to a pool player. That is to say... everything revolves around it.

Fatboy
06-20-2010, 01:52 PM
It can be a addictive drug for life long players. It can be company on a lonely day/night. A weapon in a bar fight. Etc it's no one particular thing, it falls under the umbrella of many contexts, where someone is at in their life, sleeping in the car or a nice room since it's a gambling decivce, and it's out come determines who gets the $$$ in some cases.

And that can change in a instant, I have scratched hill/hill and in a instant the rock went from being important to being a disaster-something I didn't want to see for a month. So the rock is a fluid object meaning it's value or importance can change in a instant. It can take a lifetime to gain any sort of control of it. It's easier for the gifted, impossible for others.

It's a lot of things to a lot of people at any given time. To some it's just a round white sphere and nothing more......

oldzilla
06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
My answer was good, there are two types of energy kinetic and potential. So I answered the question like a half assed physicist.

I could answer it like a billiard retailer it's inventory that I want to sell as fast as possible.

I could ansesere it like Shane Von Boning "Huh?, what did you say"- just teasining buddy! :smile: don't get mad.

Best
Fatboy

i like your answer. i did say "without many" as opposed to "without any", hehe !:cool:

tom mcgonagle
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry Folks for taking so long to get back to my original post in this thread. Family matters, it is Father's Day.

It's refreshing to see this thread received 613 views in a little over a day. It's about par for the course that it only got thirty responses. That's ok. It's better than no responses at all.

As expected I didn't get the same answers from everyone. If I did that may have been scary.

The cue-ball represents different things to different people. Tramp Steamer looks at it as a way of expressing, "Mans search for perfection." He presented an awful good case for the way he sees it. Nice Job.

Grinz, had a bunch of different observations that would be hard to argue with. Another good Job.

Dabarbr chose to think outside the box his cue-ball is a white cop that picks on colored balls. If that's the way you want to view it, that's ok.

Oldzilla also went outside, his cue-ball is a vehicle. That's ok also. The cue-ball can be anything you want it to be.

Fatboy chose to look at it from his own view point. He got involved in the Physics of the cue-ball.

Jay Helfert talked about the energy connection between you and the cue-ball.

Randyg called it the mirror of your stroke.

underclocked made reference to a woman symbolizing his cue-ball. I'm glad I never ran across this woman.

Nostroke called it the result of our efforts, good or bad.

Paksat called it an attitude.

2 fast 4 fleas referred to it as a learning progression for the game.

Lalouie called it the messenger of all you know about the game.

There's no question all of these things can be your own personal thoughts about the cue-ball. You just said they were in so many words. What the cue-ball represents is certainly in the eyes of the beholder.

Here's what I think the cue-ball represents.

It's an extension of me. I like to say it's my brain running around the table.

If I'm playing and the cue-ball is doing the things I envisioned it doing before I hit the shot, I know my body and mind are working the way I want them to because the cue-ball gives me the results of my efforts after every shot.

If I'm playing poorly I know it's my own doing. As Randyg mentioned, Whitey, doesn't lie."

It's the sixth sense every great player has when they are playing their best.

That's all I got. I hope your not disappointed.

scrappy
06-20-2010, 05:20 PM
it's an impartial object that tests your ability to impart your will on it

justnum
06-20-2010, 06:12 PM
The cue ball as it moves around the table is the translation of your physical and mental will from your being to an inert object.

The cue ball also represents the single force able to change the world around.

The color of the cue ball represents the complement of all others in the world.

I refer to cue ball's world being the table, other balls, pockets, etc.

Rak9up
06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Cueball represents my wife-

controlling everything around her

justnum
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM

The cue ball still gets manipulated by a stick and is helpless against gravity.

Tramp Steamer
06-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Tom. :smile:

A few more thoughts on the subject.
The cueball is like Kojak. The rack is like the mob.
Kojak breaks the mob wide open, see, then systematically puts each one in the hole where they are never seen again until an unscrupulous lawyer bails them out and reracks.
Shit, oh dear, I've gotta quit drinking in the afternoon.

LAlouie
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Lalouie called it the messenger of all you know about the game.

Ehhh, not quite what I mean, not quite so linear. Let me slightly alter my phrasing from this "The cueball is the messenger of all that you know(mental, physical, and metaphysical) in the game of billiards. " to this "The cueball is the messenger of all that you know(mental, physical, and METAPHYSICAL),,,,,, in the game of billiards."

That is, all that you know, all that is you(mental, physical, and METAPHYSICAL), that every aspect of your being, which includes knowledge of the game and also knowledge of yourself and also a kind of Zen synergy. It's my half-*ssed attempt to explain the inexplicable of how things converge to a serendipitous moment in sport.

Hell, man. I don't even know what I mean but I know it's there.

JoeW
06-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Lady goes to a shrink who sprinkles ink on a page, folds it, opens it and asks her what she sees.

“I see a man and a woman and they are taking their clothes off,” the woman says.

He does it again and asks her to reply.

“Same woman, same man, they have their clothes off and they are walking into her bedroom,“ she says.

He does it a third time and she looks alarmed, stops him. “Why are you doing this,” she asks.

The shrink says, “I make these pictures and you project your own needs onto them. This tells me about you.”

The lady says, “That is stupid, you are the one drawing dirty pictures.”

Tramp Steamer
06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Lady goes to a shrink who sprinkles ink on a page, folds it, opens it and asks her what she sees.

“I see a man and a woman and they are taking their clothes off,” the woman says.

He does it again and asks her to reply.

“Same woman, same man, they have their clothes off and they are walking into her bedroom,“ she says.

He does it a third time and she looks alarmed, stops him. “Why are you doing this,” she asks.

The shrink says, “I make these pictures and you project your own needs onto them. This tells me about you.”

The lady says, “That is stupid, you are the one drawing dirty pictures.”

Good point, Joe.
Listen folks. When you think of life as being a half-filled glass of water, just remember that the glass was probably too small in the first place. :wink:

Tom In Cincy
06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
To me, the cue ball represents the 'beginning'. The 'beginning' of my long journey of learning what I can about pocket billiards.

Every time I strike the cue ball, I take another step in my journey.

Figuratively speaking of course.

pooltchr
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I had a Bachlers, Then a Masters, Then i Got a PHD in colliding Spheres!

I had a professor tell me one time:
You start out with your bachlers, abreviated BS...and we all know what that means.
Then we get our MS (More of the Same)
Then we get our PHD (Piled High and Deep)

From a college prefessor!!

Steve

Fatboy
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
it has been saod "that for every action in the universe, there is a equal and oppsite action somewhere else." Could that all be happening on the box Judy is rolling around on......

tom mcgonagle
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
There is no doubt, The basic law of Physics is definately brought to life every time the cue-ball is struck by your cue-stick.

I asked what the cue-ball represented as it travels the table. It's the chicken and the egg thing. You're the egg, I'm the chicken- Fatboy

Kickin' Chicken
06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
There is no doubt, The basic law of Physics is definately brought to life every time the cue-ball is struck by your cue-stick.

I asked what the cue-ball represented as it travels the table. It's the chicken and the egg thing. You're the egg, I'm the chicken- Fatboy

I resemble that remark! :D

Best,
Brian kc

JoeW
06-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I had a professor tell me one time:
You start out with your bachlers, abreviated BS...and we all know what that means.
Then we get our MS (More of the Same)
Then we get our PHD (Piled High and Deep)

From a college prefessor!!

Steve

With a master's Degree when someone says something you say "That's interesting."

With a PhD when someone says something you say, "Hm Hm"

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers. Definition of a professor.

JoeW
06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Liberal atheistic professor says to the class. “If there is a God he should come and punch me in the face. There is no God and it will not happen. I’ll give him 15 minutes. I am here and I am waiting.”

Students sit in silence looking at this man of knowledge. About 13 minutes later a Marine gets up from his seat in the back of the room and walks up and lands a punch that knocks the professor out. When he come to the Prof says, “Why did you do that.”

God is busy over in Iraq taking care of our guys, so he sent me in his place.

ShootingArts
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
For a lot of years the cue ball moving around the table just represented the easiest way I knew how to make money. I spent weeks hammering together the biggest land based oil rig in the world years ago, literally! Day after day of swinging a 12 to 20 pound sledge hammer for a twelve hour shift driving the pins that held it together. The board road back to the oil rig came out on old hwy 61 almost across the road from an old bar with a table or two, the H&H Club. Some nights I made more money swinging a 20oz cue in that old bar than I had made swinging a 20 pound sledge hammer all day. There seemed to be a lesson in that!

Hu

cigardave
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

The addition of a couple of commas should make for easier reading. :thumbup:

BTW, wierd lookin' commas. :rolleyes:

tucson9ball
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
To me, the cue ball represents the eyes of the table. You can only see from that spot on the table. You can control where it goes, but once it stops, you can only see from that spot.
In 1 pocket you want to keep you opponents vision to a minimum. ;)

NewStroke
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
The cue ball represents "The Man". He sits above all the other balls, gloating about how he is so special. If the numbered balls, "blue collar" folks, start getting uppity, my cue balls smashes them and puts them in a hole until they are docile again.

Pool is a very political game :(

Lexicologist71
06-21-2010, 03:09 PM
It's just a tool to do a job. Nothing more and nothing less. I have witnessed beneficiaries of Affirmative Action express their disdain with the status quo by using the 8 ball as the cue.

Lexicologist71
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Liberal atheistic professor says to the class. “If there is a God he should come and punch me in the face. There is no God and it will not happen. I’ll give him 15 minutes. I am here and I am waiting.”

Students sit in silence looking at this man of knowledge. About 13 minutes later a Marine gets up from his seat in the back of the room and walks up and lands a punch that knocks the professor out. When he come to the Prof says, “Why did you do that.”

God is busy over in Iraq taking care of our guys, so he sent me in his place.

Awesome. Thank you very much.

Majic
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM

This is the REAL meaning :woot:

jay helfert
06-21-2010, 11:30 PM
With a master's Degree when someone says something you say "That's interesting."

With a PhD when someone says something you say, "Hm Hm"

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.

We teach best what we most need to learn.

Blacktea
06-22-2010, 06:30 AM
For me, the cue ball is lost, the patterns set up by the other balls are the maze the cue ball must go through in order to reach the goal. The object balls are sometimes like keys to doors, you must make the balls, get the key, in order to proceed to the next ball. When playing 9 ball, that 9 ball is the goal.

Tramp Steamer
06-22-2010, 06:39 AM
For me, the cue ball is lost, the patterns set up by the other balls are the maze the cue ball must go through in order to reach the goal. The object balls are sometimes like keys to doors, you must make the balls, get the key, in order to proceed to the next ball. When playing 9 ball, that 9 ball is the goal.

Okay, Blacktea. Not bad for your first post, but what about One Pocket?

Oh yeah. Welcome to the forum. :smile: