PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Pool School

insanepoolgod
06-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I am seriously considering attending Randy Goettlicher's pool school located in/around Dallas. Has anyone attended or know someone who attended who can comment on their experience?

ShaneT58
06-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I went to the Advanced and Expert class when they came through Charlotte, NC. It was well worth it. Randy and Scott are great instructors.

jungledude
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
:) Randy is an excellent teacher and a great guy. I highly recommend it.

kaznj
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
You will not regret it. Great teachers. Lots of insight into the foundations of the game. Your game will improve. All you have to do is practice what they teach you.

insanepoolgod
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I need help taking my game to the next level. I am going to go to the school before I begin practicing again. I will consider myself a serious player when I can get good enough to where I can win $5,000.00 a year in tournament (not calcutta) money. That might be one $5000 first place win or 10 $500 eight place finishes. Either way, that will be my gauge as to whether or not I have "arrived". I hope the school will help me reach that level.

14-1StraightMan
06-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Randy G. is an excellent instructor & a gentlemen on top of it. I have never heard anything negative about his school, only positive. I am proud to say that I know Randy for over 20 years.

pooltchr
06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I went to the Advanced and Expert class when they came through Charlotte, NC. It was well worth it. Randy and Scott are great instructors.

Hey, what am I????? Chopped Liver????? :grin:

Steve

(Just kidding, man! Hope you are doing well)

softshot
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I am seriously considering attending Randy Goettlicher's pool school located in/around Dallas. Has anyone attended or know someone who attended who can comment on their experience?

I had a 2 day private lesson with RandyG..

best money I have ever spent on the game of pool period..

take the class.

Scott Lee
06-19-2010, 11:19 PM
insanepoolgod...There is NO doubt that you will leave pool school with the TOOLS to help you achieve your goal. What you do with them afterwards will tell the tale. You cannot go wrong attending school. There are literally hundreds of Az posters who have attended pool school, either in Dallas, or one of our road show schools.

Randyg has a school in Frederick MD next weekend (I'll be in Minneapolis), and I will be doing a school in S. CA next month, after the trade show in Vegas; and possibly another school in the Bay Area the week after that. We also have upcoming schools scheduled for Richmond, VA (Aug), Colorado Springs CO (Sept) and Fargo, ND (Sept). Pooltcher has a school in Charlotte NC coming up in about 3 months too. Anyone interested in any of these pool schools can PM me or Randyg.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks for the responses. I need help taking my game to the next level. I am going to go to the school before I begin practicing again. I will consider myself a serious player when I can get good enough to where I can win $5,000.00 a year in tournament (not calcutta) money. That might be one $5000 first place win or 10 $500 eight place finishes. Either way, that will be my gauge as to whether or not I have "arrived". I hope the school will help me reach that level.

CJ Wiley
06-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I have never heard anything bad about Randy's school....I would recommend it for beginner players

Hey, what am I????? Chopped Liver????? :grin:

Steve

(Just kidding, man! Hope you are doing well)

Stewscue
06-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Its great
just sign-up and go you'll love it

THanks
Carl

Scaramouche
06-20-2010, 03:56 AM
I'll give him a gold star.

Just be ready to follow his advice to practice (no games) the drills you will learn for at least six weeks until it becomes permanently embedded knowledge. :thumbup:

Papa Red
06-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Your money will be well spent! I've known Randy going on 25 years and you will never fine a more dedicated person willing to instruct and promote the game. My wife and son were taught by Randy, wife no longer plays because of back problems but my son went from a low C player to a high A to A+.

Good luck!

pooltchr
06-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Nothing new to add....you can't go wrong going to Randy's school.

Steve

mm4pool
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
the only thing i would like to add, i have not benn able to find three days to go to the full school, Randy was gracious enough to meet me on a tuesday evening and give me what turned into a 4 hour mini school on the first three mother drills and we did the video analysis. it was great, i cant wait till i have time to do the full school. Randy is a great teacher and person. he listened to me and my concerns and together we developed routines suited to me.

well worth the time and money!

Mike

Scott Lee
06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
CJ...Why do you say that? Have you attended Randy's school? Do you consider Allison and Karen beginners? How about two-time national champion Henry Brodt? They attended school too. MANY expert players and champions have gained a ton of knowledge (sometimes just about themselves) from coming to pool school. It is absolutely NOT just for beginners.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I would recommend it for beginner players

tatcat2000
06-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Everything good stated above, and then some. Do it.

Buddy

14-1StraightMan
06-20-2010, 01:43 PM
CJ...Why do you say that? Have you attended Randy's school? Do you consider Allison and Karen beginners? How about two-time national champion Henry Brodt? They attended school too. MANY expert players and champions have gained a ton of knowledge (sometimes just about themselves) from coming to pool school. It is absolutely NOT just for beginners.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I totally agree with you Scott.

Big Perm
06-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Randy is good people, he takes a lot of pride in his work and is very dedicated to your improvement...

td873
06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I have never heard anything bad about Randy's school....I would recommend it for beginner players

I think the reason that the beginner's statement came out is that it is easier for a beginner to learn the methods taught at Pool School than trying to have an advanced player re-learn a new system [over years of bad habits]. Pool School is probably a great choice for most, but not for everyone. But I do agree that Randy and crew are a great bunch, and if you are taking pool seriously, you can benefit from attending.

As for using Allison and Karen, etc., as examples, they were (for the most part) already practicing the methods taught, and did not need to reinvent the wheel. They were pros long before they attended pool school.

-td

Scott Lee
06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
td...Easier according to whom? You? Of course they were pros long before they attended pool school. That's not the issue. The point is that any player, at any level, can benefit from this "education"...and that's why they come. Pool school doesn't "make" you a pro...it gives you professional direction, and a path to follow, to achieve any goals you choose...which is what the OP was asking about. It's specific training, geared to each individual, and their own skill level, designed to help the student learn how to most efficiently and effectively train themselves, for whatever purpose suits them. You didn't mention Henry. He was already a 2-time national champion, when he came to school last year, and I believe his words at the end of school were, "This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!" That's a pretty powerful endorsement, if you ask me.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I think the reason that the beginner's statement came out is that it is easier for a beginner to learn the methods taught at Pool School than trying to have an advanced player re-learn a new system [over years of bad habits]. Pool School is probably a great choice for most, but not for everyone. But I do agree that Randy and crew are a great bunch, and if you are taking pool seriously, you can benefit from attending.

As for using Allison and Karen, etc., as examples, they were (for the most part) already practicing the methods taught, and did not need to reinvent the wheel. They were pros long before they attended pool school.

-td

insanepoolgod
06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
td...Easier according to whom? You? Of course they were pros long before they attended pool school. That's not the issue. The point is that any player, at any level, can benefit from this "education"...and that's why they come. Pool school doesn't "make" you a pro...it gives you professional direction, and a path to follow, to achieve any goals you choose...which is what the OP was asking about. It's specific training, geared to each individual, and their own skill level, designed to help the student learn how to most efficiently and effectively train themselves, for whatever purpose suits them. You didn't mention Henry. He was already a 2-time national champion, when he came to school last year, and I believe his words at the end of school were, "This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!" That's a pretty powerful endorsement, if you ask me.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I have heard enough. I have already reserved a date in September. I figure I can go to the class, practice like a madman for six months and then snap off the U.S. open!

Spike8ball
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
OK. I got my private pilots license (30 years ago), after taking the written test and then a practical test. This is when you take a check pilot/instructor for a ride so they can make sure you can actually... fly.

If you pass, you get your single engine, VFR pilotís license. I did and will always remember what the check pilot/instructor said to me when he handed me my license.

He said 'Son, this is a license to learn.' I went on to get a bunch of ratings and never balled up an airplane.

I took Randy Gs pool school and walked out of there feeling exactly the same way. I had a license to learn.

Now I KNOW why I miss, but I have the tools and knowledge to fix it. Not to mention, I miss a LOT less now.

Oh yeah, Randy is a great guy and itís fun as hell. Take the school.

td873
06-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
I think your comments miss the mark. The Pool School regimen is not simply plug and play. It is an entirely new system and way of approaching the game. It is NOT something that anyone can just "pick up" at any level of play as you insinuate. Quite the opposite. Even your comments underscore your recognition of this point [i.e., "direction" "path to follow" "train themselves" etc].

It is common sense that a long standing habit is not easy to break. The same is true for pool. No one can simply take up a new system and be proficient at it. It takes many hours of diligent work to completely incorporate the system. That being said, my comments are not intended to detract from the likely benefits for those that stick with it. But for some, the change is too dramatic and too lengthy to endure to the end.

Lastly, one resounding endorsement [from Henry] doesn't tip the scales just as one failure would not. It is anecdotal evidence at best on par with statements like Efren doesn't use the system.

-td

pooltchr
06-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I think we are making some generalizations here that miss the mark. For example, I had a 3 day school this past weekend, and one student (an APA 7) had run up against a brick wall with his game. In 3 days, we did not "change" his game, but we were able to incorporate some new ideas into his game that are going to move him forward. What we did was give him the knowledge of what he had been doing, and by modifying what he was doing, the results were going to be much more to his liking. We didn't change his game, we just helped him find ways to improve his game.

It doesn't matter what your skill, or how long you have been playing, the more you learn, the better you will become. But only if you want to become better. If you want to stay where you are, just keep doing what you have always done.

Steve

Scott Lee
06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Tom...If we wanted to, we could fill up a 100 page thread with "resounding endorsements"...there were plenty in this thread alone (but that's something we don't care to, or have to do). BTW, Efren uses "the system", just like every pro on Earth. Every pro does "their" thing, the same way, every time, on every shot...that's one of the key things that make them a pro. "The System" is about teaching yourself how to figure out your "perfect process", and training yourself to be able to do it the same way every time, on every shot, without having to think about it. The length of time it takes, and the mental/emotional/physical committment it demands are different for each student...and yes, it's true that some students will GIVE UP because they aren't willing or can't stick with it long enough, to replace what they have used forever. The definition of insanity is doing the same old thing the same old way, and expecting a better result.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Lastly, one resounding endorsement [from Henry] doesn't tip the scales just as one failure would not. It is anecdotal evidence at best on par with statements like Efren doesn't use the system.

-td

NewStroke
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Only comment you need "Don't intend to go, just go" It's a true win-win situation.

ceebee
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I've known RandyG for 8 years, he's a good instructor & has a great Pool School. I've not seem him play, but I've been told he can get around the table...

Good Luck in your endeavor, be true to yourself & those around you.

Spimp13
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
There are plenty of them already but I will throw mine in here.

I took the school last September with 2 other people from Randy. The two reasons I took the class were because of the video analysis, as well as I knew I had bad fundamentals. I saw myself on video and got a good laugh because (and Randy would probably agree with me here), I HAD NO PROCESS. I just came up and hit balls. There were other problems too that were pointed out and were obvious once seen on video. I think I got 0's in the 3 main categories we were graded on out of 10 and hands down had a lot worse fundamentals compared to the two other guys. I am just your normal 7 in APA that had about 12 years of bad fundamentals ingraved in my play. I laughed and told Randy I had no idea how I was able to make balls and shoot well enough to get to that level.

By the end of the third day there was major improvement on every category. I actually had a game plan and process going into every shot. One of the main objectives was to give us the tools needed to break down our own games and let us know why we miss when we do. Someone may say well I know why I missed, or I didn't cut it enough etc...well just to get a bit deeper instead of saying I didn't cut it enough, I can say my grip was too tight, or maybe my eyes were not on the object ball after I got to my set position. I also may not have finished my shot completely...the list goes on of ways I can tell why I miss when I do that go beyond I just didn't cut it enough.

Everyone learns at different speeds. Due to the bad fundamentals I had for 12 years I still find myself going back to them occasionally, but not nearly as often. When I practice my drills I learned, and do my full process on each shot, I hands down play better and make more shots then I used to.

Scott Lee
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Spimp13...You forgot to mention that in addition to learning how diagnose your errors...even more important is knowing what to do to self-CORRECT them, the next time you get back to the table. A slump lasts only one shot, if you know what error you made, and know what to do to correct it! Your story shows great evidence (that we see all the time), about how very skilled players, who can pocket balls and run out, can still benefit from this kind of instruction. Even though 9 months later you still occasionally fall back into some bad habits, the day will come when you almost never do (everybody makes errors, even Efren, Allison, Johnny, and Earl). I bet when you do your "process" completely, you often get better position too! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

There are plenty of them already but I will throw mine in here.

I took the school last September with 2 other people from Randy. The two reasons I took the class were because of the video analysis, as well as I knew I had bad fundamentals. I saw myself on video and got a good laugh because (and Randy would probably agree with me here), I HAD NO PROCESS. I just came up and hit balls. There were other problems too that were pointed out and were obvious once seen on video. I think I got 0's in the 3 main categories we were graded on out of 10 and hands down had a lot worse fundamentals compared to the two other guys. I am just your normal 7 in APA that had about 12 years of bad fundamentals ingraved in my play. I laughed and told Randy I had no idea how I was able to make balls and shoot well enough to get to that level.

By the end of the third day there was major improvement on every category. I actually had a game plan and process going into every shot. One of the main objectives was to give us the tools needed to break down our own games and let us know why we miss when we do. Someone may say well I know why I missed, or I didn't cut it enough etc...well just to get a bit deeper instead of saying I didn't cut it enough, I can say my grip was too tight, or maybe my eyes were not on the object ball after I got to my set position. I also may not have finished my shot completely...the list goes on of ways I can tell why I miss when I do that go beyond I just didn't cut it enough.

Everyone learns at different speeds. Due to the bad fundamentals I had for 12 years I still find myself going back to them occasionally, but not nearly as often. When I practice my drills I learned, and do my full process on each shot, I hands down play better and make more shots then I used to.

td873
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Tom...If we wanted to, we could fill up a 100 page thread with "resounding endorsements"...there were plenty in this thread alone (but that's something we don't care to, or have to do). BTW, Efren uses "the system", just like every pro on Earth. Every pro does "their" thing, the same way, every time, on every shot...that's one of the key things that make them a pro. "The System" is about teaching yourself how to figure out your "perfect process", and training yourself to be able to do it the same way every time, on every shot, without having to think about it. The length of time it takes, and the mental/emotional/physical committment it demands are different for each student...and yes, it's true that some students will GIVE UP because they aren't willing or can't stick with it long enough, to replace what they have used forever. The definition of insanity is doing the same old thing the same old way, and expecting a better result.

Scott Lee

It appears that you are conflating "The" System as taught in Pool School with "a" system which everyone already has. And it seems a bit disingenuous to assert that Efren is actually using "The" Pool School system when he is not. The last time I checked, Efren had not attended anybody's school, nor does he adhere to the SPF method.

For the most part, Pool School is NOT intended to teach people how to play pool - rather, it is directed to teaching them how to LEARN how to play pool. And, as for the 100s of pages of resounding endorsements, how many of those would actually be characterized as "beginners" vs "touring pros"? This relates back to the statement about Pool School being significantly more beneficial for "beginners." It's not that everyone won't pick up something, it's that beginners will benefit more.

Again, I have no negative comments about Pool School at all. I think that lots of people can benefit from it. I am just presenting my perspective on the whole thing.

-td