PDA

View Full Version : Predator BK vs. BK2

Cajun Kid
06-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Is there a big difference between the Predator BK and BK2?

KMRUNOUT
06-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I would say yes:

1) I think quality of construction is better on BK2. Ferrule is made from a far more resilient material. I bubbled and folded a few ferrules on the BK1. The joint on the shaft is much better. Full phenolic insert threaded onto the wood, (though come to think of it I'm not actually sure if the BK1 shaft ring is threaded on or pressed and glued on).
2) BK2 is balanced better (imho). To me, a tall guy, better for a break cue means rear balanced. By luck, my BK1 weighed only 16.3 oz without a weight bolt. By putting in a 6" bolt, I get 2.2 oz all in the back, so that worked out. But most of them will not be like that.
3) I think the BK2 feels substantially more solid.
4) BK2 comes standard with a pretty effective phenolic tip on a regular ferrule. This (imho) looks better than the one piece phenolic, and works better than the standard BK1 ferrule and leather tip. You can of course put a phenolic tip on the BK1, or a leather tip on the BK2. I happen to like the BK2 setup as is.

Overall, unless the BK1 were substantially cheaper, I would hold out for the BK2.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Cajun Kid
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I would say yes:

1) I think quality of construction is better on BK2. Ferrule is made from a far more resilient material. I bubbled and folded a few ferrules on the BK1. The joint on the shaft is much better. Full phenolic insert threaded onto the wood, (though come to think of it I'm not actually sure if the BK1 shaft ring is threaded on or pressed and glued on).
2) BK2 is balanced better (imho). To me, a tall guy, better for a break cue means rear balanced. By luck, my BK1 weighed only 16.3 oz without a weight bolt. By putting in a 6" bolt, I get 2.2 oz all in the back, so that worked out. But most of them will not be like that.
3) I think the BK2 feels substantially more solid.
4) BK2 comes standard with a pretty effective phenolic tip on a regular ferrule. This (imho) looks better than the one piece phenolic, and works better than the standard BK1 ferrule and leather tip. You can of course put a phenolic tip on the BK1, or a leather tip on the BK2. I happen to like the BK2 setup as is.

Overall, unless the BK1 were substantially cheaper, I would hold out for the BK2.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Thank you for the opinion. BK2 it is