PDA

View Full Version : Great drill I discovered today

Run the Century
06-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I practice the long straight in shot a lot to make sure I am hitting center ball and lined up straight on the shot. So much so my table gets "streaks" where the ball has burned a line into. Today I put some blue painter's tape on the shot (all the way from the cue ball to the object ball) in a long straight line. Its GREAT!!! If you can stop the ball and especially draw the ball and stay on the tape - your stroking true. It really helps lining up the shot and you can really see any waves in your stroke (not taking it back straight). I teach a lot and can see the benefits of having my students try to keep the cue ball on the tape. Just wanted to share - Im sure others have thought of this.

For those with a break rak this would really save wear and tear on your table as well. Let the tape take the abuse and not the cloth.

Straight shooting!!

Chris

mullyman
06-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Good idea so you get immediate feedback on the shot. I wouldn't practice any long draw shots like that though, you'll sail that cueball right across the room. Hehe.
MULLY

Fuji-whopper
06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Pretty neat idea, thank you for sharing. The thing I wonder about though is how unintentional spin might be exaggerated/reduced because the top of the tape is different than the felt, is there a way of measuring surface friction? Either way, staying on the tape sounds really hard and will definitely help make your stroke straighter!!

greyghost
06-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I use a white chalk pencil or a chalk line filled with white talcum powder to mark straight lines on the table....they can be brushed or whiped off clean with a damp rag.....

its the nuts

TheBook
06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I would think that the glue from the tape would eventually stick to the cloth.

I left a couple of reinforcement holes on my table for a few days practicing a drill. I removed them and there was a sticky residue on the cloth.

I practice Kinister's mighty X and another straight in stroke shot. Found that if I vacuum the lines they tend to disappear.

Run the Century
06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Doesnt seem to be much different than the cloth (with regards to friction). I can still draw the length of the table. Its a pretty sight when you get it to draw exactly back on the tape (telling you that you struck it dead center).

You could also use this to set up any shot you have difficulty with. Put the tape down all the way to the object ball and set the object ball in one of the those page re-inforcers holes - so to make the shot all you need to do is set it up in such a way that the center of the tape leads straight into the ghost ball. Will help re-inforce the "shot picture".

justnum
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I had trouble learning long draw shots, so I compensated by learning follow through techniques.

Run the Century
06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I have been using the hole re-inforcers for years and have never noticed a problem. In fact having a greyhound I have found a great way of getting rid of hair and lint is using a lint roller over my cloth.

cajunfats
06-19-2010, 08:34 PM
I have been using the hole re-inforcers for years and have never noticed a problem. In fact having a greyhound I have found a great way of getting rid of hair and lint is using a lint roller over my cloth. Those are great ideas. I know that long draw shot will help. That lint roller trick is nice. Keep it handy. I'll use the roller to sticky lift some money from your tight wallet one of these days Tuna!!:grin:

JoeyA
06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Pretty neat idea, thank you for sharing. The thing I wonder about though is how unintentional spin might be exaggerated/reduced because the top of the tape is different than the felt, is there a way of measuring surface friction? Either way, staying on the tape sounds really hard and will definitely help make your stroke straighter!!

Yes, I agree.

The tape surely gives you a better "lane" picture to imagine but I would be concerned about the tape NOT altering the path or speed of the cue ball when unintentional spin in applied. It might give you a misconception about how straight your stroke reall is.

Go to the pool room and pay the hourly fee and practice those long straight in and other repetitive practice shots. That's what they are there for. :smile:

ceebee
06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I too practice Bert Kinister's Mighty X... I even marked my table permanently with a marks-a-lot.

Beware_of_Dawg
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I too practice Bert Kinister's Mighty X... I even marked my table permanently with a marks-a-lot.

OMFG, thats a nice table/light/room!! I could only dream of having a temple so nice!

and you put a big black "X" marker dead across the middle of that beauty! sacrilidge! OMG I'm completely on tilt! How could you? That's like scratching your intials down the side of a 57' Chevy or using a highlighter in a original copy of the king james Bible!!

ceebee
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
I brought that table back from the junk heap. I rebuilt the rail blinds & inlaid the strip into the side. I inlaid the huge table base & vertical blocks on the legs.

I also designed & made the light.

The big black X looked right at home.

Beware_of_Dawg
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I brought that table back from the junk heap.

I also designed & made the light.

The big black X looked right at home.

Incredible table. Incredible Light.

Now go away, I'm not talking to you anymore.

Yes, Im jealous. She deserves better.

center pocket
06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I have been using Kinister's mighty X for a couple of weeks now. That is a wicked tough drill.