PDA

View Full Version : Wood for Slate Backing

ThisIsMyUserNam
06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I found a table I want to buy. It is all hardwood (I really dislike MDF) but it has an option of MDF backed slate or hardwood backed slate. The MDF is cheaper, and the sales guy recommended it as less likely to warp in humidity. He said it should last for about 10 felt changes, which I figure is about 50 years or long enough that I wouldn't worry. That said, I have an inherent love of real wood, and my gut says go with the hardwood backing. SO the question is:
1) Hardwood?
2) MDF?
3) It doesn't matter?
Please explain any pros/cons if there are any, as I am a believer in getting all the facts. I really appreciate everyone's help!!

Scott Lee
06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd post this in the 'Ask A Table Mechanic' forum here. You'll get a more accurate answer. One difference for sure is that hardwood will hold up to stapling the cloth way better than MDF will.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pdcue
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
I found a table I want to buy. It is all hardwood (I really dislike MDF) but it has an option of MDF backed slate or hardwood backed slate. The MDF is cheaper, and the sales guy recommended it as less likely to warp in humidity. He said it should last for about 10 felt changes, which I figure is about 50 years or long enough that I wouldn't worry. That said, I have an inherent love of real wood, and my gut says go with the hardwood backing. SO the question is:
1) Hardwood?
2) MDF?
3) It doesn't matter?
Please explain any pros/cons if there are any, as I am a believer in getting all the facts. I really appreciate everyone's help!!

1 Hardwood - specifically, Poplar.

Dale

ceebee
06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
I too choose the wood (good wood) & a good dried poplar will be a very good choice.

If you are going to do this, be sure to run the wood through the planer several times, to insure all parts are equal in thickness. It's not a hard job at all. I added biscuits to all my joints too. It was a nice job.