PDA

View Full Version : My boys

Cuebuddy
06-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I started my two sons (13 months apart) playing pool when they were between 4 and 5 years old. I turned down full length house cues to match their size. By the time they were about 8 or 9 they were using full cues and enjoying beating their friends. I came up with a game called Banks Caroms and Combos, those were the only shots I could use. This game proved to be a major spot for them and was very good for my game also. Now my boys are 17 and 18 and tower over me and I am 6'2". The spot I offer them now is dwindled to almost nothing. Even though I am bummed that my game is going down hill do to my age and eyesight it is cool to see my boys getting stronger at the game of pool and life.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Scott Lee
06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Jim...A man always hopes that he will be proud of his kids as they grow up and mature into adults!...I know I am quite proud of my own son. Hope you're enjoying their company today, and if not, that you have communicated with them! Happy Father's Day!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Cuebuddy
06-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Jim...A man always hopes that he will be proud of his kids as they grow up and mature into adults!...I know I am quite proud of my own son. Hope you're enjoying their company today, and if not, that you have communicated with them! Happy Father's Day!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks Scott, I hope yours was a great one.

ShootingArts
06-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I started my two sons (13 months apart) playing pool when they were between 4 and 5 years old. I turned down full length house cues to match their size. By the time they were about 8 or 9 they were using full cues and enjoying beating their friends. I came up with a game called Banks Caroms and Combos, those were the only shots I could use. This game proved to be a major spot for them and was very good for my game also. Now my boys are 17 and 18 and tower over me and I am 6'2". The spot I offer them now is dwindled to almost nothing. Even though I am bummed that my game is going down hill do to my age and eyesight it is cool to see my boys getting stronger at the game of pool and life.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

I used to play banks and combinations as a spot, I should have added caroms. A great way to improve your game.

Sounds like your two sons are turning out just fine. Happy Father's day!

Hu

hang-the-9
06-20-2010, 06:13 PM
From how long they were playing, I'm suprized you need to give them ANY spot at all at their age! My son started at about 8, 10 now and plays with a full size stick almost all the time. It's a great way to really form a good foundation for stance for the future. The only issue is that now he wants his own stick and case :grin: Because using my old Joss Limited is not fancy enought for him :rolleyes:

I used to play him a type of rotation/straight pool where he can shoot at any ball and I need to go in order. And for 8 ball we do called shots for me, anything for him. He's getting pretty good though, I have seen him run 10 in straight pool and 4-5 in 9-ball. He makes almost full table shots down the rail, guess he's too young to know that's a hard shot hehe.

Cuebuddy
06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
From how long they were playing, I'm suprized you need to give them ANY spot at all at their age! My son started at about 8, 10 now and plays with a full size stick almost all the time. It's a great way to really form a good foundation for stance for the future. The only issue is that now he wants his own stick and case :grin: Because using my old Joss Limited is not fancy enought for him :rolleyes:

I used to play him a type of rotation/straight pool where he can shoot at any ball and I need to go in order. And for 8 ball we do called shots for me, anything for him. He's getting pretty good though, I have seen him run 10 in straight pool and 4-5 in 9-ball. He makes almost full table shots down the rail, guess he's too young to know that's a hard shot hehe.

Your boy sounds like he will be a champion soon and if not he is at least hooked for life. Sports,school,hunting and jobs are just a few of the things that will get in the way of most young people from playing as much as I did but those things are important. I hope my kids will be interested in the game long enough for them to inherit my equipment:cool:.

Tramp Steamer
06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Way to go, Cuebuddy. You're a lucky man.
When they pull the cover over the Gold Crown, and turn off the poolroom lights for the last time, you can hold your head up high. :smile: