PDA

View Full Version : just for grins, anybody around McComb MS?

ShootingArts
06-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Anybody around McComb Mississippi? My old pool running partner had moved thataway five or ten years ago and I lost touch with him. He owned some land around Chattawa last I knew too. He'd be around sixty-five or seventy now and is usually called Bobby or Jackjaw although he accumulates nicknames that come and go. Anyone from the area send me a PM or post and I'll add a little more info and see if we can run him down. He has spent a lot of years around Houston off and on too but will be a lot harder to find if he is there than around McComb! Probably makes it to the local circle tracks sometimes, we played in the dirt together too.

David Harcrow reviving his great old thread just reminded me of the trouble Bobby and I got into. Often the most exciting part of the trip was bringing him home afterwards. His wife shot his 30-30 pretty good and he tended to forget he had a wife when he was on the road. Different wife now and probably a different Bobby so I'm not talking out of school too bad.

Hu

David_Smith
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Anybody around McComb Mississippi? My old pool running partner had moved thataway five or ten years ago and I lost touch with him. He owned some land around Chattawa last I knew too. He'd be around sixty-five or seventy now and is usually called Bobby or Jackjaw although he accumulates nicknames that come and go. Anyone from the area send me a PM or post and I'll add a little more info and see if we can run him down. He has spent a lot of years around Houston off and on too but will be a lot harder to find if he is there than around McComb! Probably makes it to the local circle tracks sometimes, we played in the dirt together too.

David Harcrow reviving his great old thread just reminded me of the trouble Bobby and I got into. Often the most exciting part of the trip was bringing him home afterwards. His wife shot his 30-30 pretty good and he tended to forget he had a wife when he was on the road. Different wife now and probably a different Bobby so I'm not talking out of school too bad.

Hu

There is a Bob that has been haning around tournaments in the McComb area for quite awhile now. If it's the same guy he has a couple of young relatives that play pretty sporty.

David Harcrowe talked about Good Time Charley Owens. Charley was originaly from Brookhaven Mississippi, about 25 miles north of McComb. He played in my family's poolroom occasionally when I was a kid and ran around with Lance Meeks from Brookhaven. Charley and Lance used to beg my father to let them take me to Jackson to gamble, but my father wouldn't let me because I was 11 years old at the time.

The first time I remember Charley coming in our poolroom he said he wanted to play the best player in the house. I played him a game of rotation (we charged pool by the rack), broke the balls and was hooked on the 1 ball. I kicked three rails and and ran all 15 balls. I was 11 I think at the time.

I had the pleasure of watching Country Calvin at the Steve Gumphrey memorial in the Holiday Inn on I55 in Jackson at the first tournament I spectated. I didn't know him from Adam but found myself pulling for him. A very young Johnny Archer was there, as was Stickland and many other top players. Wade Crane won the tournament, double dipping Jeff Carter in the finals.

ShootingArts
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM
There is a Bob that has been haning around tournaments in the McComb area for quite awhile now. If it's the same guy he has a couple of young relatives that play pretty sporty.

David Harcrowe talked about Good Time Charley Owens. Charley was originaly from Brookhaven Mississippi, about 25 miles north of McComb. He played in my family's poolroom occasionally when I was a kid and ran around with Lance Meeks from Brookhaven. Charley and Lance used to beg my father to let them take me to Jackson to gamble, but my father wouldn't let me because I was 11 years old at the time.

The first time I remember Charley coming in our poolroom he said he wanted to play the best player in the house. I played him a game of rotation (we charged pool by the rack), broke the balls and was hooked on the 1 ball. I kicked three rails and and ran all 15 balls. I was 11 I think at the time.

I had the pleasure of watching Country Calvin at the Steve Gumphrey memorial in the Holiday Inn on I55 in Jackson at the first tournament I spectated. I didn't know him from Adam but found myself pulling for him. A very young Johnny Archer was there, as was Stickland and many other top players. Wade Crane won the tournament, double dipping Jeff Carter in the finals.

David,

Thanks a bunch! I'll send you a PM with Bobby's full name. I'd appreciate it if whenever you run across Bob you ask him if he is my friend Bobby S. I'm around Amite and Arcola several times a week now so it would be only a quick run from there to McComb or Brookhaven. Bobby played mighty strong back in the seventies but was a rotten gambler. When we paired up for awhile we both made money but when he gambled on his own he usually stayed with it until he was busted.

Once I know of he spent three days on a challenge table taking on all comers, without pause. A canny very old gentleman named Joe let Bobby gather all of the cash in one place and then was plucking Bobby like a chicken when I found him. Bobby had a wife and two young daughters at the time and they were playing by the game. After watching for thirty minutes or so and seeing the writing on the wall, Bobby was dead in the water, I snaked Bobby out of there with a little of his winnings intact. I didn't feel too bad about it, Joe had plucked me for months when we first met and once I finally figured out how to beat him he would quit me every time I got on the table.

Hu