PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in 9 Ball without using Chalk!

TWOFORPOOL
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I usally break (phenolic tip) in 9 Ball without using chalk. I can break up to 25 mph (verifed with gun) and at that speed any untentional follow, draw, left/right english can make a big difference in results on the break.

I hit center ball and "skid" the cue ball to the one ball with it rebounding and stopping near the middle of the table. The reason I don't use chalk is because there is less grip on the cue ball and if I'm off a little of center there will me very little follow, draw, left/right english put on the cue ball therebye getting better results.

Anybody else try this?

peteypooldude
06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I can see the logic,I do chalk my phenolic tip,but out of habit.I do not chalk it in fear of a miscue .Sounds like you break pretty sporty
Peteypooldude

DogsPlayingPool
06-20-2010, 11:28 AM
If I had a 25 MPH break with dead CB squat I wouldn't change a thing, I'll tell you that much. ;)

I haven't tried not chalking a phenolic break tip due to the miscue factor, but my break needs work in a whole lot of areas, accurate tip placement on the through-stoke being just one of them. :embarrassed2:

TWOFORPOOL
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
If I had a 25 MPH break with dead CB squat I wouldn't change a thing, I'll tell you that much. ;)

I haven't tried not chalking a phenolic break tip due to the miscue factor, but my break needs work in a whole lot of areas, accurate tip placement on the through-stoke being just one of them. :embarrassed2:

My normal break speed is around 20 MPH to keep better control of the cue ball. It took a while to break without chalk but it made my break better since I had to be more accurate. I can only kill the cue ball in the center of the table about 30% of the time but the cue ball doesn't get away from me and become completely out of control.

manwon
06-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I usally break (phenolic tip) in 9 Ball without using chalk. I can break up to 25 mph (verifed with gun) and at that speed any untentional follow, draw, left/right english can make a big difference in results on the break.

I hit center ball and "skid" the cue ball to the one ball with it rebounding and stopping near the middle of the table. The reason I don't use chalk is because there is less grip on the cue ball and if I'm off a little of center there will me very little follow, draw, left/right english put on the cue ball therebye getting better results.

Anybody else try this?

It makes sense to me, I think it is clear that less grip/friction will be generated if you make an error in hit. I think I will give it a try myself, my break is so poor that it can't hurt!!!!:thumbup:

deadstroke13
06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
I will try to hot center ball too. Do you place the cue ball center diamond on the head spot?

TWOFORPOOL
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I will try to hot center ball too. Do you place the cue ball center diamond on the head spot?

I start breaking from the side rail and if that doesn't work I try one diamond in from the side rail (or somewhere between these two places).

TWOFORPOOL
11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Its been several years since this original post. Anybody do this today? I still do!