PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fake?

CorningPlayer
06-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Hi im new to the forums and i think i might have a problem.

I bought a pool cue the other day. the guy said it was a Viking. And after looking at it, it has the pattern of a Viking G76, but it doesnt have the weight bolt, quick release pin, or the Viking logo on it.

Is this a fake and if it is what brand is it?

CorningPlayer
06-21-2010, 03:04 AM
o...and it has Emerald Pearl Inlays if that helps. On Vikings site and other sites it shows it in blue. could that be the cause of it not having the viking logo?

LAlouie
06-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Why would anyone want to fake a Viking cue.

renard
06-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Pics would help in gathering responses!

tshughes
06-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Emerald Green is consistent with a Viking model G76. The following colors are standard for that particular model.

Brilliant Blue
Emerald Green
Ragin Red
Violet
Icy White
Bronze
Bright Gold
Smoke

The most common color for the inlays however are the brilliant blue. Also the cue could have been custom ordered from viking or somewhere else allowing a change on what joint they wanted. The quick release is only a standard option which does not mean that you can't opt for a different type joint. The weight bolt could have simply been removed by who ever to bring the weight of the cue down. The last problem you had was no viking logo. Well the only logo on that model is simply the word viking at the bottom of the butt which could have been worn off, but it is hard to say without you showing a picture or letting us know how old the cue is suppose to be. So nothing you explained really is way out the norm, and I really could not see anyone faking a viking cue. Not saying that a viking can't play well, there are just too many other cues that are more sought after. Anyway hope that helps, and like the other poster said.........pics are always a big help.

APA7
06-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Who in their right mind would bother making a fake Viking??:confused::sorry::eek:

CorningPlayer
06-21-2010, 04:00 AM
Hughes

Thanks for the info. The bumper goes all the way to the inner of the butt (the point at which its not hollow anymore) and shows no signs of ever having a weight. and like u said, it could have been a custom order. the guy gave me 2 rings that are supposed to be weights. i also got 2 shafts with it and they match the color and fit flush. i am unable to post pics of it right now due to im not at home currently to take and post them. it is however, the sweetest shooting cue ive ever used. and the guy i bought from seems liget because everything else he is using is of high quality. he told me he was getting rid of it because he needed the money, and also that he never used it. but, does the metal ring "weights" sound right to u?

tshughes
06-21-2010, 04:10 AM
The only weight bolts I have seen them use is the standard ones that use a hex wrench. They may however use a different type as well and someone on here can probably answer that question for you. I would just enjoy the cue and if you got a good deal on it be happy. I am like everyone else on here so far, I highly doubt anyone would want to fake a viking cue. The only production cue I know of that really had a problem with some fakes was predator that I know of.

CorningPlayer
06-21-2010, 04:56 AM
i paid $300 for the cue, an extra shaft, 2 soft cases, and a glove. and i figure the guy i bought it from will replace tips and everything for me if i need him to. and im really excited to get to play some more because im in the game for the fun....not to win. because if ur not having fun doing something......its not worth doing.

3andstop
06-21-2010, 05:18 AM

Who in their right mind would bother making a fake Viking??

The gentleman is asking a legitimate question, but to answer yours ... there are a lot of nuts in the world. I mean think of it, there are actually people who spend 3 or 4 or more grand a cue stick. YEAH THEY DO... go figure, there seem to be all kinds of people in the world. I think they're nuts, but hey that's just my opinion.

I know a guy who spent a million bucks for a car because the guy he bought it from banged it out of metal with a hammer by hand in his garage when he could have just gone down the street and bought a Cadillac for 40Gs from a company that had the ability to replace his car the next day should he have a problem with it.

He just needed to have something built from a backyard guy trying to reinvent the wheel when a perfectly good choice was available to him for a fraction of the price.

It would be easier to pass off a ton more fake Viking cues before you could pass off one 3 thousand dollar cue.

That's why smart counterfeiters make 20 dollar bills instead of hundred dollar bills.

Black-Balled
06-21-2010, 05:56 AM
The gentleman is asking a legitimate question,...It would be easier to pass off a ton more fake Viking cues before you could pass off one 3 thousand dollar cue.

That's why smart counterfeiters make 20 dollar bills instead of hundred dollar bills.

And those are the truths.

I used to work for a bike retailer that had cycling clothing made overseas and it came to our attention that the machines kept running well past the order.

BRivera
06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
It could be that the used cue, "and I am assuming that it is used" had a misfortunate accident the same way that happened to me with my V:Diking. If the butt of the cue was cracked, broken then replaced by anyone other than the Viking company, then you can be sure that the logo is missing. Cue makers who do repairs are not allowed to replace the logo's for obvious reasons. I don't think your Viking is fake, after all, who in their right minds would create a Viking knock off? A custom cue maybe but not a production cue.

TheBook
06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Who in their right mind would bother making a fake Viking??:confused::sorry::eek:

Some dumb a$$ that doesn't know anything about cues or feels they can sell them to someone that doesn't know anything about cues.

Johnnyt
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
The gentleman is asking a legitimate question, but to answer yours ... there are a lot of nuts in the world. I mean think of it, there are actually people who spend 3 or 4 or more grand a cue stick. YEAH THEY DO... go figure, there seem to be all kinds of people in the world. I think they're nuts, but hey that's just my opinion.

I know a guy who spent a million bucks for a car because the guy he bought it from banged it out of metal with a hammer by hand in his garage when he could have just gone down the street and bought a Cadillac for 40Gs from a company that had the ability to replace his car the next day should he have a problem with it.

He just needed to have something built from a backyard guy trying to reinvent the wheel when a perfectly good choice was available to him for a fraction of the price.

It would be easier to pass off a ton more fake Viking cues before you could pass off one 3 thousand dollar cue.

Well said, and I agree. Johnnyt

Cornerman
06-21-2010, 09:11 AM

So, one of my pool playing associates was all excited because someone offered to sell him his Viking for $100. He quickly whipped out a Benjamin, and took his bounty home. He proudly showed his wife what he thought was the steal of the century...

The cue read "Viper Cue."

Fred <~~~ knows who was drinking that night

BRivera
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
So, one of my pool playing associates was all excited because someone offered to sell him his Viking for $100. He quickly whipped out a Benjamin, and took his bounty home. He proudly showed his wife what he thought was the steal of the century...

The cue read "Viper Cue."

Fred <~~~ knows who was drinking that night

Like selling $500.00 Boluva watches for $100.00 that after a closer look says
Bolivia watch, worth about 10.00 bucks:mad:

DogsPlayingPool
06-21-2010, 09:38 AM
If its a Viking forgery, its not a very good one if its missing a logo.

Eric.
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Like selling $500.00 Boluva watches for $100.00 that after a closer look says
Bolivia watch, worth about 10.00 bucks:mad:

Patek Fauxlippe, Faux-lex, Omaybe.

Eric >likes watches

measureman
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I need to go check my Lucasi............................................ .......!

ARROWCRUSHER
06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I need to go check my Lucasi............................................ .......!

Thats funny !! I really liked that one ...rep to you sir ..:D <<<ED

Palmetto cue
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Hughes

Thanks for the info. The bumper goes all the way to the inner of the butt (the point at which its not hollow anymore) and shows no signs of ever having a weight. and like u said, it could have been a custom order. the guy gave me 2 rings that are supposed to be weights. i also got 2 shafts with it and they match the color and fit flush. i am unable to post pics of it right now due to im not at home currently to take and post them. it is however, the sweetest shooting cue ive ever used. and the guy i bought from seems liget because everything else he is using is of high quality. he told me he was getting rid of it because he needed the money, and also that he never used it. but, does the metal ring "weights" sound right to u?

Did You say weight rings? Please post some pics to help clear this mystery up. :sorry:

CorningPlayer
06-21-2010, 10:51 PM
theyre little brass rings that go between the bumper and the butt.

12310bch
06-22-2010, 05:19 AM
i paid $300 for the cue, an extra shaft, 2 soft cases, and a glove. and i figure the guy i bought it from will replace tips and everything for me if i need him to. and im really excited to get to play some more because im in the game for the fun....not to win. because if ur not having fun doing something......its not worth doing.

WTF?

-----------AAAArrrrrrggghh!!!!!!---------------------

poolsnake69
06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
I just dont understand why everyone bashes Viking cues . I have one and have never had any problems with it . I understand that the custom cues are probably better ,but I really couldnt afford the 500 I spent on my cue , no way i could afford a full custom . I have won and lost against people playing with high end cues ,but have also won and lost against people playing with bar cues .

TATE
06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi im new to the forums and i think i might have a problem.

I bought a pool cue the other day. the guy said it was a Viking. And after looking at it, it has the pattern of a Viking G76, but it doesnt have the weight bolt, quick release pin, or the Viking logo on it.

Is this a fake and if it is what brand is it?

I've sent Viking a couple of emails with questions - they've been good about getting back to me. Why don't you mail them some pics and send your question to:

info@vikingcue.com

Please let us know what they say. Good luck.

Chris

Mike in MN
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
<----- Just double-checked his Viking.

Eric.
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I just dont understand why everyone bashes Viking cues . I have one and have never had any problems with it . I understand that the custom cues are probably better ,but I really couldnt afford the 500 I spent on my cue , no way i could afford a full custom . I have won and lost against people playing with high end cues ,but have also won and lost against people playing with bar cues .

Honestly, I don't think anyone is bashing Viking cues. IMO, they make a damn good cue. If anything, why would anyone wanna make a fake Viking and sell it for, say, $400, when you can get the real one for, like, $600??

Eric

poolsnake69
06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I understand your point Eric . I guess I was only looking at it one sided.
Point well made sir !

Scott Lee
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
CorningPlayer...If this is "the sweetest shooting cue I've ever used", then why do you even give a crap about all this bs you're posting. Play with the cue and enjoy it!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

it is however, the sweetest shooting cue ive ever used.

The_Rookie
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I HAD a viking cue

SKJoss72
06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a few different cues and one of them is a Viking sneaky pete. I am very pleased with the way it plays and it only cost 200$ new. the only reason I would wanna know if it is real or not is because I would think a fake one shouldn't cost 300$ otherwise if it does play sweet enjoy it like other have said....

measureman
06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I checked my Lucasi. I took the bumper off and found a hand written note.
"Help! I'm being held prisoner in a Chinese cue factory"
Now I know it's a real Lucasi.:smile:

PaulieB
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
That's why you only get cues that are signed, like my genuine Balabushka!

greyghost
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
That's why you only get cues that are signed, like my genuine Balabushka!

lmfao now thats funny

danquixote
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Does schon sign his cues shawn or shaun, or sean....I may have a fake also?

CorningPlayer
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
talked to the guy i bought it from again. told me the story of the cue. come to find out the cue had been repaired before and it had small factory defects in it. and the weight and logo removed because the guy who repaired it, messed up and had to take a lil off the butt making it a lil shorter then the average Viking. but yah....i love the cue and dont care anymore. in my opinion, it was worth the money and i wont have to replace it anytime soon.

DolphinNoSharks
06-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me but if the reasoning is ok with you, that's all that's important. Enjoy it!

I've seen fake Lucasi's on ebay, so why not a Viking.

Not sure if Viking does Factory Seconds but some brands remove their name when the stick is a factory second. Usually yield 40-70% off.

measureman
06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me but if the reasoning is ok with you, that's all that's important. Enjoy it!

I've seen fake Lucasi's on ebay, so why not a Viking.

Not sure if Viking does Factory Seconds but some brands remove their name when the stick is a factory second. Usually yield 40-70% off.

Fake Lucasi's on E-Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:
I have got to go check my cue again............................................. ....
Never mind I did not buy it on E-Bay. This could have kept me up all night with worry.:boring2:

Stellar1024
12-23-2016, 05:24 PM

Necro bump..

I have a Viking cue I purchased off Ebay and I'm starting to wonder if it's real.. Primarily because it was very well priced and the shaft doesn't have the Viking logo on it at all.. That cue would typically come with a Vikore shaft I believe...

Aside from that... It's actually the best playing cue I've ever used.. so I'm not too concerned if it's fake. Not sure why anyone would diss Viking.. Unless this one's fake and plays much better than the real ones! Best playing cue I've owned is this Viking followed by a Dale Perry, followed by a Fury, then a Predator and the worst was a Katana... go figure.. the last two were the most expensive...

Straightpool_99
12-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Fake vikings...Well, I'd better hand in my ears, because now I've officially heard everything! Why, in the name of all that is holy, would ANYONE posessing even half of a functioning brain try to counterfeit a brand that is barely selling as it is? A guy in my poolhall tried to sell Vikings, he couldn't give the things away. I mean they are not bad cues. But very few people want them, for some reason I've never been fully able to understand. They are pretty decent quality, so it would cost a bit to make a convincing copy. So you risk getting stuck with expensive inventory you cannot move.

Fake Predators..that I could understand. Predators are marked up about 100% compared to cues of a similar quality, so there is quite a bit of meat on the bone. You could move those (good fakes) very quickly and easily. Of course the profits wouldn't be all that great even with such a great startin point. You'd have to sell them at about half retail, a good counterfeit cue would cost quite a bit to make, so I don't see why anyone would make a lot of money on that. Even if you are a full blown crook, not paying taxes and using slave labour, there are risks that may offset your potentially larger profit margin. There may actually be more money in going legit, IMO, if you are actually capable of making cues that could fool people, you can make a decent cue.

Besides, pool cues? That must be the silliest thing of all to counterfeit (if you don't count the expensive collector ones). You could make a knock off designer purse for women for a couple of dollars that could sell for 100 or more, even if it is counterfeit. And it would be nearly impossible to tell from the original. They'd fly off the shelves! At 50 bucks you'd sell truckloads and still make bank. Some guy tried to sell me a fake designer leather jacket. The leather and lining were beautiful, the stiching was flawless. He had a trunk full of those things and at the price he wanted I bet he sold tons of them. I didn't buy. Didn't like the setup, or the guy and I worried they may have been real and stolen. They were that good. Besides even if I knew they were fakes, I'm not really into that sort of thing. I'm sure they were fake now all things considered, but I think only an expert could have really known for sure by looking at the jacket only.

I would warn anyone never to buy anything from the trunk of a car! They will only take cash, so there is a chance they might stick you up, if they do take cards that's an even worse idea, lol. There is also the chance that they'll pull the old "electronic store bait and switch", where they switch the great looking merchandise with an ugly, bad one. By the time you find out, he'll be gone. They could of course also be stolen. I don't hear too much good about going to jail in the US. Also supporting criminals is bad, no matter how you rationalize it.

skins
12-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Damn..40 posts about a fake Viking... Whodathunkit :rolleyes:

Cornerman
12-24-2016, 06:36 AM
I bought a fake house cue.