PDA

View Full Version : Chalking

RicNic
06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Can you tell me why so many pros pick up the chalk and set it down more than once before going down before a shot?

DogsPlayingPool
06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
A lot of this is probably force of habit. But for some it is likely that chalking the tip is part of their pre-shot routine. So if, for whatever reason, they are not comfortable proceeding with the routine and getting down on the shot and executing, then they start over from the beginning and this would include chalking the cue.

This is probably more frequent with guys like Corey or Raphael who chalk with one hand and hold the cue with the other. They tend to chalk while thinking, so if they need to start the thought process over they grab the chalk again. Guys like Darryl Peach, who place the butt of the cue on the floor when they chalk, probably don't do this as much.

Oh, who am I kidding? I don't really have clue. :D

RicNic
06-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks. I thought it had to do with the pre-shot routine. It's hard to believe why the pros feel it is necessary to carry out the routine so completely in every detail. It seems a little like superstition, or a good luck charm effect?

DogsPlayingPool
06-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks. I thought it had to do with the pre-shot routine. It's hard to believe why the pros feel it is necessary to carry out the routine so completely in every detail. It seems a little like superstition, or a good luck charm effect?

While pool players can be superstitious, the chalking thing is probably more one of habit. Guys that are used chalking while thinking will just naturally grab for the chalk when they decide to put more thought into the next shot.

Golfers are real big on going back to the beginning of the pre-shot routine. Some go so far as to put the club back in the bag and pull it again.

hillbilly
06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I do teach this as part of the pre-shot routine!!! I think it is very important to always chalk your cue before each shot but it is not always necessary. After a period of time this will become a force of habit and it also slows you down to always make the right decision and not rush your shots.