PDA

View Full Version : More sad news

doitforthegame
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I just heard that Dave Cuhna owner of Country Club USA passed away after a battle with cancer. Dave was a huge promoter of pool in the northeast. His room was host to countless pro and regional events. He was a formidable opponent (I owned a pool room on the other side of his town at one point) as a businessman and even if he hooked you into a 9 ball or one pocket game. This is another huge loss for pool and in particular the northeast. Dave deserved to be a Sy and Dolly winner and a New England Hall of Fame member. RIP Dave.

catpool9
06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
It saddens me when anyone passes that has contributed to the Billiard community,especially all their "lives".

Although I didn't know Mr.Cuhna, please pass on my condolence's to his family and friends.

David Harcrow

Mr Slate
06-21-2010, 08:08 PM
My condolence's as well.

JAM
06-22-2010, 01:41 AM
One of my all-time favorite pool rooms was Country Club USA in the quaint little town of Chelmsford. I remember meeting this gentleman there. He took me and mine on a tour of the joint, showing us the brand-new downstairs bar. He was so proud.

I remember Larry Lisciotti loved hanging out there, the full bar, the action, the "regulars."

County Club USA pool room proudly hosted many Joss Northeast 9-ball Tour events in the early 2000s. The food was, unbelievably, gourmet quality, and the place was huge, enough room for a tournament, gambling, social shooting, whatever you wanted. They had it all. Here is an example of the way a pool room should be, IMHO.

I was saddened to read that Country Club USA shut their doors for good on May 30th.

This man created a lot of happiness and pure pool bliss for a lot of folks in the pool world. May Dave rest in peace.

Kevin Lindstrom
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear this news. The loss of a great guy and the loss of a great room.

Kevin

jrackman
06-25-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear this as I just saw the front AZ page. I met Dave in Stamford, CT. in the early 90's at the all about pool tour tourney and he was quite a nice guy, he told me about his room up in Mass. and to come up sometime. Well it took me a year but when I did and walked in this pool heaven for a B tournament, I felt like I was Efern or Johnny when Dave came up to me and said, what are you having its on me! I was lost for a sec. until he said, I didn't forget you..He made the little players feel just as he did the pro players. I was sad to hear of his room closing and now this, a big loss in the New England pool community. RIP Dave

sydbarret
06-25-2010, 04:46 AM
He did as much as anyone for pool in the New England. RIP dave.

1pocket
06-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Very sorry to hear this. I was about as regular as could be there (from an hour or so away) for several years, and off and on since then. Dave always liked One Pocket too -- in fact we tried a monthly tournament there for a few months -- just not quite enough player interest :(

His room was great for tournaments because it was big, big big, with a bar and well maintained tables I should add. He always had a couple that were extra tight, too. I remember watching Keith play Stalev Banks one time, and remember you being there, JAM.

Yes, Dave would be a good candidate for the NE Pool & Billiard HOF as a room owner.

JAM
06-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Here is another picture of Dave Cunha when he was younger! :)