PDA

View Full Version : to ... jay helfert, bill porter, et al.

sunnyone
06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
re: 'the dallas pool scene in the 1960s,' 'tush hogs' and the similar streams that have been running here and in that splendid one-pocket forum.

your revisit is fascinating! i do not know any of the players you guys were discussing and yet i could not stop reading. (i didn't like the fighting and hated the guns, but they were part of the culture, so who cares what i like?)

so here is a suggestion ... do a video capture of your recollections of the era.

you could assemble as many of the principals as you can -- meet at some tournament / event where many of you would be attending anyway. those not able to be there could be taped separately.

the reminiscences, the interactions, the contradictions, the arguments, the woofing would be priceless! it's not so much the subject of the story as it is the telling of the story.

i'm thinking the aspirational level of the video would be a ken burns-type documentary. with a raffish michael moore accent ... the civil war meets sicko.

the vid may never appeal to a pbs, but in this youtube, vid-sharing culture, it could gain some wide distribution. plus dvd sales could be a possibility.

but commerce aside, a video history of an iconic era could be worthy in and of itself. (we have taped my great grandparents --audio -- and my grandparents -- video -- and maybe our entire audience will turn out to be family members only, but we are preserving -- and celebrating -- our heritage.)

and think of the fun that could be taped in addition to the stories -- as you guys play some pool -- grudge matches, crazy spots, much more woofing, etc.

a savvy narrator -- or maybe two: one country, one city -- could weave a coherent and compelling story line. including sidebars such as jack ruby, titanic, james garner, etc.

combine that with period photos, appropriate music and any extant video. (i don't know about the rights and permissions aspect, but there are attorneys in this demimonde, no?) and you could end up with an entertaining docu whose appeal could extend beyond the world of pool.

there are already pool videographers here -- big truck, lenny, big dog, tar, etc.

of course the video could cross-reference appropriate books, mags, forums, etc.

perhaps a corporate sponsor could underwrite the project. the dollar investment should not be significant. unless appearance fees come into play!

well, that's my bright idea for today!

sunny

p. s. tick tock. some of the gents mentioned in your streams are in their 80's. as omar k. noted: the moving finger writes; and, having writ, moves on.

ew, that was kind of morbid, sorry!

jay helfert
06-21-2010, 11:25 PM
re: 'the dallas pool scene in the 1960s,' 'tush hogs' and the similar streams that have been running here and in that splendid one-pocket forum.

your revisit is fascinating! i do not know any of the players you guys were discussing and yet i could not stop reading. (i didn't like the fighting and hated the guns, but they were part of the culture, so who cares what i like?)

so here is a suggestion ... do a video capture of your recollections of the era.

you could assemble as many of the principals as you can -- meet at some tournament / event where many of you would be attending anyway. those not able to be there could be taped separately.

the reminiscences, the interactions, the contradictions, the arguments, the woofing would be priceless! it's not so much the subject of the story as it is the telling of the story.

i'm thinking the aspirational level of the video would be a ken burns-type documentary. with a raffish michael moore accent ... the civil war meets sicko.

the vid may never appeal to a pbs, but in this youtube, vid-sharing culture, it could gain some wide distribution. plus dvd sales could be a possibility.

but commerce aside, a video history of an iconic era could be worthy in and of itself. (we have taped my great grandparents --audio -- and my grandparents -- video -- and maybe our entire audience will turn out to be family members only, but we are preserving -- and celebrating -- our heritage.)

and think of the fun that could be taped in addition to the stories -- as you guys play some pool -- grudge matches, crazy spots, much more woofing, etc.

a savvy narrator -- or maybe two: one country, one city -- could weave a coherent and compelling story line. including sidebars such as jack ruby, titanic, james garner, etc.

combine that with period photos, appropriate music and any extant video. (i don't know about the rights and permissions aspect, but there are attorneys in this demimonde, no?) and you could end up with an entertaining docu whose appeal could extend beyond the world of pool.

there are already pool videographers here -- big truck, lenny, big dog, tar, etc.

of course the video could cross-reference appropriate books, mags, forums, etc.

perhaps a corporate sponsor could underwrite the project. the dollar investment should not be significant. unless appearance fees come into play!

well, that's my bright idea for today!

sunny

p. s. tick tock. some of the gents mentioned in your streams are in their 80's. as omar k. noted: the moving finger writes; and, having writ, moves on.

ew, that was kind of morbid, sorry!

I've always believed that if you think of it, then it's your responsibility to do it. So get to work! :thumbup2:

BillPorter
06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
A few years ago Freddy Bentivegna and I traded some emails about this idea. We planned to get people together at the DCC and had even developed a shooting script for the project. Fred was having some health problems at that time (knee operation) and we never got the project rolling.

As Jay said, you have a great idea, now take the next step and start putting the project together. Knowing Jay and Fred as I do, I am sure that they would both help out (for a nominal fee), and I will help out as well. I'd be happy to send you the ideas and shooting script that Fred and I came up with.

If you start getting commitments from people who are planning to attend the next DCC and Hall of Fame Dinner, you should have plenty of old-timers lined up by next January. Another guy would would surely help out is Dick McMorran (San Jose Dick). Maybe add Billy Incardona to the list.

If any of you old-timers are reading this thread, why not chime in and show your support for the project.

Tramp Steamer
06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Sounds like a pretty good idea, Sunny, except that it's against the law to violate a gravesite. :smile:

sunnyone
06-22-2010, 07:53 PM
mr. jay ... thanks a bunch!

i lob an idea to you and -- wham! -- you slam it back and make it my responsibility!

your initial thinking is good. a project such as this might well require an outside catalyst just to stir things up and to get past the natural inertia that bedevils most new ventures.

'if it's everybody's idea, it's nobody's idea.' someone in business said that and i think it means that every project requires a champion. someone to push, push, push.

ok, i am pushy, well, maybe more yappy, but i have to disqualify myself for two reasons: talent and talent.

plus, i do have a life!

that being said, i would be pleased to write a synopsis for you. of course you and bill porter would improve upon on it!

then ... why not take a meeting at the ucla (you are in los angeles, no?) school of theater, film and television? specifically, they have a 'producers program' that focuses on 'innovative and independent-spirited projects for specialized markets and media.'

wham! back at ya!

sunny

jay helfert
06-22-2010, 09:13 PM

i lob an idea to you and -- wham! -- you slam it back and make it my responsibility!

your initial thinking is good. a project such as this might well require an outside catalyst just to stir things up and to get past the natural inertia that bedevils most new ventures.

'if it's everybody's idea, it's nobody's idea.' someone in business said that and i think it means that every project requires a champion. someone to push, push, push.

ok, i am pushy, well, maybe more yappy, but i have to disqualify myself for two reasons: talent and talent.

plus, i do have a life!

that being said, i would be pleased to write a synopsis for you. of course you and bill porter would improve upon on it!

then ... why not take a meeting at the ucla (you are in los angeles, no?) school of theater, film and television? specifically, they have a 'producers program' that focuses on 'innovative and independent-spirited projects for specialized markets and media.'

wham! back at ya!

sunny

You're the one that brought Pool into your life. No one forced it on you. You really do want to do something, you're just a little scared.

P.S. I don't believe the talent part either. As for the rest, it's always better to give a job to a busy person. Of course, you already know that. :cool:

Island Drive
06-23-2010, 04:57 AM

plus, i do have a life!

wham! back at ya!

sunny

Instead of the Color of Money, or the Hustler, the next movie to represent our game should be about someone's lifes trip about owning/opening/playing and running pool rooms. We have such a colorful sport in many ways, yet society on a large scale only sees us through rose colored glasses. I would think Frank Burgess, whom just sold his Pool Room in Denver would be the perfect man to give society the story of our culture and all that's attached to the pool room experience, he's owned many rooms since I think the 60's.

Tramp Steamer
06-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Instead of the Color of Money, or the Hustler, the next movie to represent our game should be about someone's lifes trip about owning/opening/playing and running pool rooms. We have such a colorful sport in many ways, yet society on a large scale only sees us through rose colored glasses. I would think Frank Burgess, whom just sold his Pool Room in Denver would be the perfect man to give society the story of our culture and all that's attached to the pool room experience, he's owned many rooms since I think the 60's.

Absolutely. Like the guy I knew in Norfolk who had a small room in a strip mall.
You know, the guy with the good-looking daughter in a wheelchair.
And the tree limb? Remember? :smile: