PDA

View Full Version : Speed pool for Toasty??!!

trustyrusty
06-22-2010, 08:40 AM
A local player (Bobby McGrath) won this event in 07 and 08, so I looked up when it was to be held again (since he is again invited). Two others I knew would be involved (Luc Salvas and Dave Pearson), but to my surprise the other participant listed was Thorsten "I need a TOKEN, now get to the choppah" Hohmann.....

thought it was interesting -

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7680

wondering how Toasty's gonna do playing FAST??

irock
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
That is strange Thorsten would do this. I do not care for speed pool at all.

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 08:56 AM
It makes perfect sense for Thorsten to do this.

He is in shape physically - he is in shape mentally - and he never misses.

Speed pool requires quickness in body, mind, and stroke - and you must maintain shot precision, cue ball control, and your breathing.

This is perfect for Thorsten. I hope he wins.

;)

trustyrusty
06-22-2010, 09:03 AM
That is strange Thorsten would do this. I do not care for speed pool at all.

Maybe he thinks he can pocket a cool $50K from it.....

A 14.1 champion can definitely see patterns and run balls; I just don't know if he has the naturally quick tempo (that is usually associated with "these" players) to do it with speed.

BTW, not liking the event is fine, lotsa folks moan about barbox play, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Toasty play on 'em (and whine about tokens, lol) in Reno.

irock
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I have watched it, and anything promoting pool and has that kind of prize money can't be all bad. To me it is like one of those hot dog eating contest, you get so much time, eat as many as you can. That being said, with Thorsten competing, it will draw new viewers, even me.

Fuji-whopper
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM
He is very excited about competing at this game, he's now back at Bankshot Billiards in Jacksonville Florida and one of the ideas he is pushing is practicing for the speed pool competitions. He thought it was goofy at first but he got over that part and is now running around the table faster and better than ever.

Won't tell you what his lowest time was, but it was impressive!!

Cameron Smith
06-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I dunno, he plays pretty quick 14.1 once he passes the 30-40 mark. It doesn't seem to far out of character.

Blackjack
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
He thought it was goofy at first but he got over that part and is now running around the table faster and better than ever.

Neil, you know as well as I do ... he's done goofier things than speed pool.

(I wish I could find that video of Ralf giving him a haircut)

Winne2tough
06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I just heard from a co worker that the speed pool event was not going to be held at the espn zone. She told me she went to the new york new york and the espn zone was out of business. So where are they going to have it this year baltimore???

CrownCityCorey
06-30-2010, 10:13 AM
As goofy as speed pool is, it's TV time - must sell more iPat's, Lucasi Hybrids, and WWTD Wristbands! :thumbup: