PDA

View Full Version : anyone else having tip problems

5andout
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
over the past 6 months I have been to various people and tried a couple different tips from them both. I have used the Kamui Black and the Moori tips, but they both seem to be mushrooming to the point it has to be put on a lay to cut. For some reason it is only on my OB-1 shaft though which is weird. Any input?

barber23
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
over the past 6 months I have been to various people and tried a couple different tips from them both. I have used the Kamui Black and the Moori tips, but they both seem to be mushrooming to the point it has to be put on a lay to cut. For some reason it is only on my OB-1 shaft though which is weird. Any input?

I play with a Kamui Black ever since they came out and have never had mushrooming problems. I can't see how different shafts would make a difference, but I play with a predator 314-2. Try burnishing the sides of the tip. It may help.

Chad

ridewiththewind
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Since I have switched to Mike Johnson's Milk Dud tips, I have had zero...zilch...zippo problems with my tips mushrooming, glazing, or flattening at all. They have managed to hold their original shape, despite the fact that I break with my playing cue. I also get excellent control with the CB.

It's gonna have to be one heckuva tip for me to switch tips again...pretty doggone happy with these. :thumbup:

Lisa

peteypooldude
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I have been playing with Pooldawg8 milk duds and I think I have found the ultimate tip,I have played for months on end with no maintenance period.Tips do not mushroom or change shape.Just chalk and shoot

5andout
06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
where can i find those tips?

ridewiththewind
06-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Which ones?

NewStroke
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
You may be playing with counterfeit tips. Instead of layers of leather, they use layers of moss that have grown in the area where a large man's underbelly meet's his torso. You have to feel sorry for the harvester :(. The harvester then chews the moss to a medium consistency and places them in a tip mold. 2 weeks later, they are ready to go.

jcurry has more details.

Tramp Steamer
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Moori's, Kamui's, Everest's, and the like, don't mushroom. The worst I ever saw was a slight flare. You might think about going to someone else for a tip change. Your guy may be leaving it too high, or not burnishing the side properly, or both. Everest is my pick. :smile:

NewStroke
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Moori's, Kamui's, Everest's, and the like, don't mushroom. The worst I ever saw was a slight flare. You might think about going to someone else for a tip change. Your guy may be leaving it too high, or not burnishing the side properly, or both. Everest is my pick. :smile:

I am telling you, counterfeit tips!!! And yes, Everest all the way :)

Spike8ball
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I use the Kamui Black soft on both my OB-1 and Helmstetter/maple shaft. Brake with both of them. No mushroom at all and I really like the tips.

I read a post on these forums about using a lathe improperly (spinning too fast or something) and ruining tips by overheating them... maybe that's it?

Mike

zy112
06-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of OB, but I have heard lots of people with the original OB shafts complain of tip mushrooming. Does anyone think it could possibly be due to the ferrule? I'm not sure if its possible but I have just heard this a lot lately.

For me, I use a triangle and like it better than all the fancy stuff. If I could ever get it to wear out I might try a milk dud.

Tramp Steamer
06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I apologize, NewStroke. I only skimmed over your post I'm afraid, but now that I've re-read it I agree whole heartedly. Come to think of it, my second wife had a similar job, only the stuff she grew was used to fill life vests. :smile:

peteypooldude
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM

If your talking about the ones I use just pm Pooldawg8 here on az and he will hook you up,

gunzby
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I've used both those tips (I mainly use Snipers) and haven't had any mushrooming issues. I think the guy doing your tips isn't burnishing your tips good.

mm4pool
06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
You may be playing with counterfeit tips. Instead of layers of leather, they use layers of moss that have grown in the area where a large man's underbelly meet's his torso. You have to feel sorry for the harvester :(. The harvester then chews the moss to a medium consistency and places them in a tip mold. 2 weeks later, they are ready to go.

jcurry has more details.

OK, that was an explaination i could have done without! lol

Mike

5andout
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
but i have been to 3 people now. it's only happening on my ob-1 shaft. i had one put on my regular shaft at the same time and it's perfect. it's not really a mushroom but a poof around the outside of the tip. thats what i meant.when i go through my preshot routine i am very picky if one thing is off it bothers me and i wipe chalk off with a stroke and can feel it. it's like it is pressed super hard and the layers are bulging out if that makes sense.

Tramp Steamer
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
but i have been to 3 people now. it's only happening on my ob-1 shaft. i had one put on my regular shaft at the same time and it's perfect. it's not really a mushroom but a poof around the outside of the tip. thats what i meant.when i go through my preshot routine i am very picky if one thing is off it bothers me and i wipe chalk off with a stroke and can feel it. it's like it is pressed super hard and the layers are bulging out if that makes sense.

Re-read some of these posts. Your answer is there.