PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Billiard Museum

Mr. Bond
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
We are pleased to announce that The Chicago Billiard Museum website is now online and open to the public.

The Museum was founded not only to preserve and share the illustrious history of billiards past, but also to provide an online venue for other collectors and historians to share their information as well.

Do drop by and say hello - the chalk is always free. :grin-square:

www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org

P.S. Because the website is new, it has not been indexed by google's robots yet - so any attempt to do a " google search" for info on the pages will not work just yet.. give it a week or two.

billiardshot
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Mr. Bond, Great site!!! I hope All Will check it out

"CaliRed".
06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks alot for the work you've done in bringing this to us, Mr. Bond..... James Bond:D

It looks like that will keep me busy for awhile reading up on everything you have there.

I notice your forum link indicates that AZB is hosting your own forum, but the URL just brings you to the AZB forums, which I don't see any subforum created for it. Am I missing something?

LAlouie
06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
So what's the reason for the solicitation for donations?

This is a site done with yahoo site builder, which is free.

mnorwood
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Very interesting!!! Especially the table gallery. Thanks for posting.

Rich93
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
All I can say is Wow! You've really put a lot of effort into this "labor of love". You've got enough here to keep me busy for many many hours. And then more hours. Congratulations!

It is really startling to see how popular billiards once was.

Rich

Tramp Steamer
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Very clever, Mr. Bond. Remind me to buy you a Martini, the next time I'm in Chicago. Shaken, not stirred...of course. :smile:

Blue Hog ridr
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow, what a lot of pain staking research you went thru to get this far.
Great effort to preserve the history of billiards.
Thanks.

Mr Hoppe
06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Well done sir! How about a section for Chicago cue makers? We have quite a rich history including Rambow, Spain, Peters, Hercek, Schuler, Omega, Bender, Young, Cognocenti, and many others.
Mr H

"CaliRed".
06-23-2010, 02:33 PM

What does the software you use to create a website, got to do with anything? He's not asking for donations to pay for Web design software. You do realize he is paying a company to host his website, right?

How can anyone who actually looked at everything this guy has done, have anything but praise for his work? He had to have spent hundreds of hours gathering all that information and then implementing it all together.

Here is the exact wording he uses on his donation page. The only thing I read is that "his success and expansion depend heavily on supportive billiard-loving patrons"

Don't see anything that says "Please donate money to me, so I can pay for my free web design software that came with my hosting package"

Help us preserve and share the past.
Like most museums, our continued success and expansion depends heavily on
supportive billiard-loving patrons just like yourself. So please take a moment to
consider making a monetary donation. It's quick, easy, secure, and we do not
handle, collect or store any personal or financial information whatsoever.

To leave a donation please use the Paypal button below.
(You are not required to have a Paypal account.)

Majic
06-23-2010, 02:46 PM
We are pleased to announce that The Chicago Billiard Museum website is now online and open to the public.

The Museum was founded not only to preserve and share the illustrious history of billiards past, but also to provide an online venue for other collectors and historians to share their information as well.

Do drop by and say hello - the chalk is always free. :grin-square:

www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org

P.S. Because the website is new, it has not been indexed by google's robots yet - so any attempt to do a " google search" for info on the pages will not work just yet.. give it a week or two.

Very nice site !! I read the article from 1920 about the NAABP approaching the Olympic committee for including billiards in the Olympics......almost 100 years later and still no action :)

junkbond
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Great site, Mr. Bond.
You even have a picture of a couple of tables recovered by a friend of mine.

-Howard (the original Mr. Bond)

Mr. Bond
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks alot for the work you've done in bringing this to us, Mr. Bond..... James Bond:D

It looks like that will keep me busy for awhile reading up on everything you have there.

I notice your forum link indicates that AZB is hosting your own forum, but the URL just brings you to the AZB forums, which I don't see any subforum created for it. Am I missing something?

good eye ! yes, very shortly we'll have a history category set up :)
the current link is just a temp fix

Mr. Bond
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
The reason, is to pay the bills. Software not being one of them.

FYI: The CBM is an IL non-profit corporation. So, even if we could make a profit, the law dictates what we can and cant do with money. In other words, nobody is going to Bermuda.

You'll also notice that access to the site is free, and its free of ads.

You're welcome.

Mr. Bond
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Well done sir! How about a section for Chicago cue makers? We have quite a rich history including Rambow, Spain, Peters, Hercek, Schuler, Omega, Bender, Young, Cognocenti, and many others.
Mr H

I hear ya - I wish I could have included everyone and everything....there's so much still left to cover !!!! You are right though...we could have a whole cuemaker section....NEED MORE INFO!!

Mr. Bond
06-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Thank You.

What does the software you use to create a website, got to do with anything? He's not asking for donations to pay for Web design software. You do realize he is paying a company to host his website, right?

How can anyone who actually looked at everything this guy has done, have anything but praise for his work? He had to have spent hundreds of hours gathering all that information and then implementing it all together.

Here is the exact wording he uses on his donation page. The only thing I read is that "his success and expansion depend heavily on supportive billiard-loving patrons"

Don't see anything that says "Please donate money to me, so I can pay for my free web design software that came with my hosting package"

Help us preserve and share the past.
Like most museums, our continued success and expansion depends heavily on
supportive billiard-loving patrons just like yourself. So please take a moment to
consider making a monetary donation. It's quick, easy, secure, and we do not
handle, collect or store any personal or financial information whatsoever.

To leave a donation please use the Paypal button below.
(You are not required to have a Paypal account.)

Scott Lee
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Mr. Bond...Very nice site, with tons of historical information. I hope you plan to include some contemporary info on people who shaped pool in Chicago, like Frank Oliva. He not only taught pool, but was responsible for the Ten-Twenty television programs, that featured Minnesota Fats and a host of other pros from that era. He was my first teacher, and instilled a desire in me that lives on today! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

catpool9
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
This is a great site, tons of information and historical facts. I just browsed thru some of the tournament sections for the last three hrs, enjoyed it very much.

Way back when, the World Championship was sometimes decided by a challenge match, kinda like a boxing match today, cool to know.

thanks Mr. Bond, for putting this site together!

David Harcrow

Mr. Bond
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Mr. Bond...Very nice site, with tons of historical information. I hope you plan to include some contemporary info on people who shaped pool in Chicago, like Frank Oliva. He not only taught pool, but was responsible for the Ten-Twenty television programs, that featured Minnesota Fats and a host of other pros from that era. He was my first teacher, and instilled a desire in me that lives on today! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Yes sir, many more great people yet to be included !

In case you haven't seen it already, Jim Parker wrote a nice piece on Frank that can be found here:
http://illinoisbilliardclub.com/content/newsletters/FrankOliva.html

EDIT: Per your request - I added the Frank Oliva article to the museum collection, in the reading room.

Chi2dxa
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I remember as a kid growing up in Chicago in the 50's and 60's there were pool room everywhere. In downtown Chicago if you rode the "L" (elevated train for people not born and raised in ChiTown) at every stop you could see guys playing pool in the loop on the 2nd and 3rd. floor of just about every building. I mean there were pool room all over the place. Nice work!

realkingcobra
06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

In case you haven't seen it already, Jim Parker wrote a nice piece on Frank that can be found here:

EDIT: Per your request - I added the Frank Oliva article to the museum collection, in the reading room.

Nice web site begining, sent you a message through your site be don't know if you got it or not, but it's not A to Z billiards... as in everything from A to Z....the AZ stands for Arizona Billiards.com...= AZBilliards.com

Glen

Mr. Bond
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
duely noted- thanks for the tip

Scott Lee
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Mr. Bond...Not only have I read the article, I was fortunate to be invited to that dinner, and even performed a few trick shots with my mentor, Jerry Briesath. After Frank passed away, even though I then lived in Montana, whenever I could get to Chicago, over several years, I spent many pro bono hours giving lessons to the Oliva ladies league members. Pat Hays, with some tutoring, became an instructor in her own right, and still teaches pool for the adult education classes at Oakhurst Community College, among other places. Jim Parker is another friend of mine, and I've done many lessons out at the IBC as well. Thanks for including that article.

You might not know this, but while Frank was a many-time Chicago City Champion, Frank's brother, Nick Oliva, was a top pro player, and passed away suddenly, while in the lead of a pro event out in California in the early 70's (I believe it was the Stardust Open, after the Jansco brothers moved the tournament from Las Vegas to Los Angeles).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Mr. Bond
06-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Mr. Bond...Not only have I read the article, I was fortunate to be invited to that dinner, and even performed a few trick shots with my mentor, Jerry Briesath. After Frank passed away, even though I then lived in Montana, whenever I could get to Chicago, over several years, I spent many pro bono hours giving lessons to the Oliva ladies league members. Pat Hays, with some tutoring, became an instructor in her own right, and still teaches pool for the adult education classes at Oakhurst Community College, among other places. Jim Parker is another friend of mine, and I've done many lessons out at the IBC as well. Thanks for including that article.

You might not know this, but while Frank was a many-time Chicago City Champion, Frank's brother, Nick Oliva, was a top pro player, and passed away suddenly, while in the lead of a pro event out in California in the early 70's (I believe it was the Stardust Open, after the Jansco brothers moved the tournament from Las Vegas to Los Angeles).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Sounds like you could make some great contributions to The Museum as well.
The invitation is there if you're up for it.

Donny Wessels
06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
very nice, Mr Bond.