PDA

View Full Version : Finally - 1916 Custom Order Brunswick Kling

MN Kid
06-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Well here she is. Had it up and running several hours ago but could not refrain from knocking a couple of balls around before taking some pictures. The facing on the pocket leather has not been attacked yet but otherwise she's complete. Pockets have 3/8" facings but still measure an honest 5" at the corners. My friend and I played a few racks and both of us jawed more than a few of them in the corners so they don't play too easy. This thing actually plays like your shooting on glass, it's that smooth. The 1.5" hundred year old slate is amazing. The Simonis 860 doesn't hurt either :D. New cushions, cloth and pockets dress her out pretty nice. Hope you like it.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/RGPics/Kling004.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/RGPics/Kling001-1.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/RGPics/Kling002-1.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/RGPics/Kling003-1.jpg

Cheers,
RG

Here are the original threads

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=170898
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=185718

The_Rookie
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Holy Crap!!!! Awesome!!!!

:thumbup:

Scott Lee
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
RG...Truly a thing of beauty, function, style, and class! I'm sure it plays as good as it looks! Nice job! :thumbup: You should enter it into the BD "Best Home Room" contest later this year!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The_Rookie
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM
It must have came with some free spirits... Cus I see some orbs

gatorcc
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Beautiful table. Congrats! All I can really say is WOW! :)

smashmouth
06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
beauty!

NOBODY makes tables like old Brunswicks

14-1StraightMan
06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Congrats on such a beautiful Table. It is beautiful. That is something to be proud of.

PS; I have orbs too on my photos that I posted of my game room.

Str8PoolPlayer
06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I grew up with one of these in our home and starting playing regularly
at 8 yrs. old.
Sadly, my parents divorced after 47 yrs. of marriage and the Kling was
sold when my father moved out.
I played on 5x10's throughout my U.S. Navy career and most were OLD
Brunswicks.
They just don't come any nicer in my estimation.

Thanks for the pictures and enjoy that Beautiful Kling.

ArizonaPete
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Simply marvelous! You've done a fantastic job restoring that beauty. Now enjoy playing. Thanks so much for all the pics during the restoration.

Slim Limpy
06-23-2010, 09:38 PM

levka
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Awesome table. I set one of these up for customer in Ottawa few years back and its worth every dollar that customer put in renovating it.

One thing that would make your table look even better is fringe pockets like on picture below. A set like that will cost you around $150-$200, but will make it look absolutely spectacular.

http://www.completegamester.com/pages/Billiard/hood/IMG_0922.JPG

rayjay
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
That is truly a gorgeous table and I'm sure it plays as good as it looks. Enjoy!
:p

ChazL
06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Great job restoring a classic Kling. With a fresh coat of finish the color and grain of the wood really stand out.

I'm sure that this restoration is a great source of pride, and hope that the table will bring you many years of pleasure. Congratulations.

MN Kid
06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
OK, now let's get to the important stuff--what tonearm and cartridge are you running there?

Origin Live Silver tonearm and Shelter 501 mk.II cartridge. Table is a Teres Audio model 320 (no longer made). Amplification (not in these pictures) are Atmosphere MP-3 pre and M-60 amps (proudly made right here in MN). Talon Khorus speakers (also no longer made) round out the package.

Cheers,
RG

MN Kid
06-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Awesome table. I set one of these up for customer in Ottawa few years back and its worth every dollar that customer put in renovating it.

One thing that would make your table look even better is fringe pockets like on picture below. A set like that will cost you around $150-$200, but will make it look absolutely spectacular.

I agree, the fringe pockets would take it up a notch. I'll likely get a set in the future.

RG

Measle Ball
06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
All I can say is WOW- your table is nothing short of breathtakingly beautiful.

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Beautiful table, MN. They really knew how to do it back then, and your job of restoration is top notch. :)

ScottR
06-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Beautiful table and restoration. Enjoy that bad-boy.

Ever hear of this new-fangled invention called a CD? :D

I keed.

Scott <<== has the urge to bust out a turntable

MN Kid
06-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Beautiful table and restoration. Enjoy that bad-boy.

Ever hear of this new-fangled invention called a CD? :D

I keed.

Scott <<== has the urge to bust out a turntable

I think I enjoyed it a little too much last night. Now I remember why game night was delegated to Friday nights. Had two days to recover. Work is going to be rough today. Worth it though.

The ceedee player died a couple of years ago. Don't really miss it at all :D but will get another some day. They're really handy for those times when a few too many beers have been consumed. Cueing up a favorite album after a few too many can turn that album into an oversized coaster with one slip of the needle.

RG

Thunderball
06-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Dude. That is one badass table. Bad Ass.

Followed the restore work too...sweet stuff.

This might my favorite table design ever.

Enjoy bud. You have earned it.

OklaPony
06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Wow, absolutley gorgeous. I really need to hit the lottery. :)

maxeypad2007
06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Someone already asked the important question about your turntable :)

VERY nice setup. At first I thought the speakers were Thiel.

This is very similar to the room I am working on right now except with a 9' diamond pro am. I'm also installing a custom made touch screen jukebox that will be linked to my music collection (mostly FLAC).

MN Kid
06-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Someone already asked the important question about your turntable :)

VERY nice setup. At first I thought the speakers were Thiel.

This is very similar to the room I am working on right now except with a 9' diamond pro am. I'm also installing a custom made touch screen jukebox that will be linked to my music collection (mostly FLAC).

Sounds like a nice room for sure. I've been thinking of going to a server based system instead of replacing the CD. I'll have to check FLAC out. It's a lossless codec right? Supports 24 bit if I remember.

I also noticed that your primary player just happens to be my dream cue (love cocobolo). Lucky man.

Cheers,
RG

MN Kid
06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
It must have came with some free spirits... Cus I see some orbs

I prefer the spirits inside the orb in the background of the third picture :D and they're always free at my place.

RG

Mr. Bond
06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Excellent job on the table! Dam that's sexy.:lovies:
( fair warning -I have an unhealthy lust for the old-school classic tables, and just might drool if I stare too long)

In case you didn't already know:

The Brunswick "Kling" is a beautiful table named after Johnny Kling, the nationally renowned Chicago Cubs catcher and a World Pocket Billiards title holder of 1909.

http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/files/s051793_Johnny_Kling_1907.jpg
http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/files/s004342_Johnny_Kling_1905.jpg

Kling was also featured on many different sets of tobacco cards during his reign.

http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/files/1371fr.jpg
http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/files/0723fr.jpg

maxeypad2007
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes FLAC is lossless and supports 96khz.

CDs are kinda pointless these days.

maxeypad2007
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
So here is the recipe I am using for the audio player.

I'm using an intel NVIDIA ION-2 based PC with a USB DAC that supports 96khz. The system has an onboard compact flash adapter and is entirely silent. So basically I will install windows onto the compact flash card (this means the box is silent). Then this will be hooked up to a 21" touch screen or a plasma.

Foobar2000 and Itunes + touch screen software will be used for playing the audio.

Mr. Bond
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes FLAC is lossless and supports 96khz.

CDs are kinda pointless these days.

it's absolutely nonsensical that they even sell them at all...
I've been patiently awaiting the day that music quality on CDs catches up with the technology, but i get the feeling that the CD is probably just gonna disappear anyway

joelpope
06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
I had an old Brunswick Balke Collendar Madison about the same age that went with the ex... I will miss her forever,

THE TABLE, NOT THE EX!!!

Yours is a much nicer model

nothing plays like those old bulky silent rolling tables... just the click of balls and the sound of balls dropping in leather

I now have a Brunswick Gibson that is pretty and plays well but just not the same

Really nice job on the restoration

Fatboy
06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Can u imagine a room with 50of those tables in it? America has slipped backwards that table is the stone nuts,

I like the fringe pockets as well, congrats!!!!

Mr. Bond
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Can u imagine a room with 50of those tables in it?

No need to imagine....here is Kling's room, with 50 Kling tables:

http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/images/50_Klings.jpg
(pic is too big to post)

mnorwood
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Someone else said holy crap. They stole my post. That is one sweet table. Wow. Congrats on that. :thumbup:

softshot
06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
looks stunning my man..

can't wait to try her out...

possibly this weekend.. I'll be in touch..

MN Kid
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It did take a while but I could not be happier with the restoration. It's not perfect but quite spectacular for something 100 years old.

Mr. Bond - Thanks for the pictures. I need to find one (or more) that can be enlarged and framed. That would look great in the room and also do a service to Mr. Kling. A picture of that room full of Klings would be cool to.

joelpope - Your not kidding about the silence. It kind of caught me off guard at first and I couldn't figure it out ("it" being the absense of sound). Nice dog there by the way. Spending a day in the field with a friend can be even more rewarding than a great day at the table.

Eric - See you soon.

Cheers everyone and thanks again,
Randy

hunger strike
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
there are many unique tables BBC made but this is not a Kling, it is a custom order table with no name. Probably more value calling it a Brunswick custom order. No pearl, no Kling. Phenomenal veneer which is the main thing. Although the first table with this number of blocks is the Alexandria, it is not that either. Although the first table with this leg shape was the REGENT (not the Regina) it is not a regent either. It is also not a Monarch although some Monarchs had circassian walnut and so did the Marquette that came before the Kling. So if you have to insist on naming it after a similar table then it would be a Rege-Marq-Kling-Arch.
I own a table that is the architecture of the Arcade with the crotch figured walnut and larger inlays of the Hudson- it is neither, it is a BBC custom order. More valuable.

greyghost
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Someone else said holy crap. They stole my post. That is one sweet table. Wow. Congrats on that. :thumbup:

Phewwwwwwwww sho is sweet

Celtic
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Meh, not really that nice man~

Since I am all heart I offer to take it off your hands... Plz....

Island Drive
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I know we've got one maybe two Kling's at Antique Billiards in CO Spgs, the owner always preferred the table, tho when he took the 'big beat' from the
Basavich a few yrs ago he realized he didn't actually "own" the table like he thought.

oldeschool
05-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I had to dig up this 4 year old post after finding her long lost twin sister. There is an interesting story, but I'm looking to chat with the MN kid first. Randy, check your PM inbox.

pt109
05-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Don't let your wife put the laundry on it....

..you'll end up with static Kling

1 Lone Wolf
05-06-2014, 05:54 PM

kvinbrwr
05-06-2014, 06:26 PM

More please

hang-the-9
05-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Now those are some POOL TABLES!!

The strange thing, in the first post, one of the Joss cues on the table is the same one I got as my first real good cue in the 90s and that is the only one other than mine that I have ever seen anyone else use. It's the one with the points on the right. Glad this thread was dug up, I am glad to see another of those cues. I am pretty sure it was a Limited series, I sold mine a few years ago to help pay for my son's Junior Nationals trip. If this was posted a year or so ago I would have thought he was the one that bought my cue.

1 Lone Wolf
05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
This is some more pics of our Alexandria

gatorcc
01-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Beautiful table

ceebee
01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
What a beautiful Pool Table.... I agree with an earlier poster... the fancy pocket would be like sprinkles on the chocolate, on the Ice Cream.... Wow...!

Why did you tiltle your table a Custom Order Kling...?

KeithS66
01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Outstanding! Beautiful table. The Kling has always been my favorite.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk