PDA

View Full Version : Josey vs. Olney cues

gascoigne
06-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi guys,

Can people who own these 2 makers's cues, Keith Josey and Jeff Olney, tell me the difference and similarities of these cues?
I see many people review these 2 cues as firm, stiff hitting cues with really good playability. Olney is known for its tight joint, is Josey the same?

All comments highly appreciated, thanks
Josiah

Only ERO's
06-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi guys,

Can people who own these 2 makers's cues, Keith Josey and Jeff Olney, tell me the difference and similarities of these cues?
I see many people review these 2 cues as firm, stiff hitting cues with really good playability. Olney is known for its tight joint, is Josey the same?

Josiah

The tight joint on the Olney cue might be a thing of the past. All I can say is that would be a shame. The tight 10 pin joints are amazing. I have talked to Jeff about this numerous times and he says he is having people struggle at getting their cues apart with the tight joint. He has had people call and complain about it and it sounds like you must request the tight joint from now on or they are going to be a little easier.

mars
06-24-2010, 06:51 AM
i presently have 2 joseys and an olney. both hit extremely firm. both fit nicely and firmly at the joint.i do not prefer one over the other, both hit simalerly, although the josey has a bit more feel.(in my opinion)

marty

breakshot
06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
you should hit with both of them and make your decision, everybody is slightly different based on their playing style and their individual stroke. So only your opinion is what is important for your game.

Chuckles
06-24-2010, 09:46 AM

gascoigne
06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice bros! I would love to try both their cues.....but I don't have any friends that have a Josey cue.

I'm planning to order one, that's why I'm asking about Josey vs Olney because I have a Olney cue

pwd72s
06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Where do you live? If close enough, you're welcome to play with my josey if I can play with your Onley.

(Crude jokes not appreciated...;))

gascoigne
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Hahaha I doubt that's possible, I live in Singapore, but thanks for the offer

And yea, no crude jokes LOL

incognito
06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,

Josiah

I don't know anything about Onney cues, but Keith Josey makes a hell of a good pool cue. Josey cues are very stiff hitting, low deflection which I really like. My Josey sneaky Pete is a great playing cue.

pwd72s
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Hahaha I doubt that's possible, I live in Singapore, but thanks for the offer

And yea, no crude jokes LOL

Uh, yeah...it would be cheaper for you to just buy a Josey than it would to come to Oregon & play with one. I've never played with an Onley, but I do like my Josey...a lot!

gascoigne
06-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow a lot of people love the hit of the Josey, I have placed an order for one, hope it plays as great or better than my Olney!

More comments would be highly appreciated!

Thanks guys

mars
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Wow a lot of people love the hit of the Josey, I have placed an order for one, hope it plays as great or better than my Olney!

More comments would be highly appreciated!

Thanks guys

you will like the hit of the josey as much or more than the onley. come to ga. and try a josey out.

marty

Kickin' Chicken
06-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Jeff Olney's tight joint is, IMHO, the absolute best in the biz. Sure, it may require some forearm muscles but one thing is for sure, it won't let you down during a match. I find myself tightening (or trying to) my cues during play out of habit because so many have a tendency to loosen during play but never has the Olney tight joint moved one bit.

The feel and the sound of my Olneys (3) are solid & 'pingy' with great feedback. I'll always prefer the sharp tone & feel of a stiff hitting cue over the "thwap" of a soft-hitter. But that's just this man's opinion.

Best,
Brian kc

gascoigne
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
bump for more comments.....

pwd72s
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I predict you're going to love that Josey. Another guy in the hall I go to has one, built 2 years before mine. We swapped cues one day...both of us were amazed at how both cues had the same feel...

Tokyo-dave
06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the one word to best describe Josey cues would have to be CONSISTENCY from one Josey to another. What you seek in hit and playability in a cue is your own personal taste. I would say that Joseys hit a little stiffer and crispy with pretty low to reasonable deflection, which is what I personally seek in a cue. If that's what you like, then I would highly suggest a Josey.
And back to the consistency aspect. Over about a 12 year period, I've test driven several Joseys, and they've all played/hit the same or very similar from one Josey to another regardless of design, butt material, fancy or simple. With some cue makers, you could find a gem as well as a dud simply because the nature of the materials used in making a cue (wood). I don't know what Keith does, but be it ebony or maple, cnc points or spliced, his cues all hit/play very similar from one to another. His cues are one of the only that I could comfortably buy off the web based solely on design without ever having actually played with, simply because I'm pretty confident that I won't be suprised as to how it's gonna hit or play.
dave

pwd72s
06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I think the one word to best describe Josey cues would have to be CONSISTENCY from one Josey to another. What you seek in hit and playability in a cue is your own personal taste. I would say that Joseys hit a little stiffer and crispy with pretty low to reasonable deflection, which is what I personally seek in a cue. If that's what you like, then I would highly suggest a Josey.
And back to the consistency aspect. Over about a 12 year period, I've test driven several Joseys, and they've all played/hit the same or very similar from one Josey to another regardless of design, butt material, fancy or simple. With some cue makers, you could find a gem as well as a dud simply because the nature of the materials used in making a cue (wood). I don't know what Keith does, but be it ebony or maple, cnc points or spliced, his cues all hit/play very similar from one to another. His cues are one of the only that I could comfortably buy off the web based solely on design without ever having actually played with, simply because I'm pretty confident that I won't be suprised as to how it's gonna hit or play.
dave

Well said, Dave...that's what my friend & I discovered. We swapped cues...but as far as feel was concerned, it was as if we hadn't traded at all. One reason I love my Josey...I know if tragedy struck, the cue got broken or stolen, I could order another & know there would be little or no adjusting needed on my part.

gascoigne
06-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the comments...I can't wait for my Josey cue now!

ridewiththewind
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the comments...I can't wait for my Josey cue now!

Keith and Sherri are just terrific to work with. They will take care of you and craft you a really great player. As has been previously stated, Josey Cues are extremely consistent from one cue to the next, and not with regards to just playability, but fit and finish as well. I would be quite surprised if you were disappointed with your new Josey cue, once you receive it.

Please be sure to share pics once you have received it. There is a Josey-dedicated thread in the Cue Gallery: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=177020

Lisa

gascoigne
06-29-2010, 06:05 AM
It would be a while before I get to post my cue, but thanks for all the comments.

I will definitely post it when i get it!

swschon
06-30-2010, 04:01 AM
When you get your Josey, you will prob sell any other shooters you have in the closet. I bought a used Josey off a friend that took me three months to finally get him to sell it and all he did was buy another. Just like earlier posters have said the best thing about it is the feel of the hit and the quality of Keith's work. Also he is great to work with and will go above and beyond to make you happy. I love my Josey and have been offered way more than its worth. But the bottom line is its not for sell. I hope you enjoy yours and good hitting.

gascoigne
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes it's a 6months wait....but with all the good comments, I guess it's worth it! It's gonna take a hell of a cue to make me sell my Olney.

Hope it does, thanks guys

gascoigne
07-01-2010, 06:49 PM
bump for more comments!

gascoigne
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
bump..............................

Tokyo-dave
07-05-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlXye2nprQ

gascoigne
07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Saw the video a few times....it's great...hope to hear more reviews

ridewiththewind
07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Saw the video a few times....it's great...hope to hear more reviews

Well, if you can afford to spring for one, I would definitely recommend one of Keith's Timeless Timber shafts before they're all gone. I know that his supply is getting very limited. They are just about as stiff a shaft as you are going to find in a traditional shaft. I just love mine, and have not regretted the additional expense one iota.

With that said...his 'regular' shafts are very very good as well. I have been nothing short of delighted in the play of my Josey...just feels oh so right in the hands!

Lisa

pwd72s
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Good point Lisa...if I were to order another Josey, I think I'd order one standard shaft, one of timeless timber... On the other hand, I have no complaints about my cue's standard shaft.

Guerra Cues
07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, if you can afford to spring for one, I would definitely recommend one of Keith's Timeless Timber shafts before they're all gone. I know that his supply is getting very limited. They are just about as stiff a shaft as you are going to find in a traditional shaft. I just love mine, and have not regretted the additional expense one iota.

With that said...his 'regular' shafts are very very good as well. I have been nothing short of delighted in the play of my Josey...just feels oh so right in the hands!

Lisa

Lisa,
How many cues do you get a year from Keith Josey? ;););)
Lisa is probably the biggest Josey fan and I am myself. I owned about 3 Joseys and they were all awesome players!

ridewiththewind
07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Lisa,
How many cues do you get a year from Keith Josey? ;););)
Lisa is probably the biggest Josey fan and I am myself. I owned about 3 Joseys and they were all awesome players!

LoL! I have actually only had two. Like a moron, I sold the first one...but vowed if I ever got another, I would not make that mistake again. Keith, Sherri, and Tim (skins) went above and beyond for me on the 2nd cue...and I could not have been happier with how it turned out! Everything about it is just right...weight, balance, aesthetics, play...everything!!

Yeah...I do tend to gush a bit about a few makers I have dealt with, because they have all delivered to me just really exceptional players, and where all pleasures to work with. I count myself very fortunate to have forged relationships with those makers...and would do it all over again, if I could. Because of my recent job loss, sadly, I had to sell off my small collection of wrapless full splice cues. It was an extremely tough decision...heartbreaking really...but the Josey was the one that I decided needed to stay with me, simply because I have been playing so very very well with it...easily gaining 2-3 balls in my game. Even tho' it was my newest cue, it feels like the one I have had the longest...and to me, that's strong considering the cues I have owned.

Lisa

pooldawg8
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I`ve had the pleasure of playing with a Josey cue and it played very well. I met Sherri at VF this past year & she was very easy to talk with. As far as Jeff Olney cues, I like Jeffs taper he uses on his shafts. His fit & finish is top notch along with his customer service. Either way you go with either of these 2 cue makers its gonna be a win for you.
To me its all about personal preference. Your the one playing with the cue not anyone else. What you may like in one cue maker over another, someone else will have a totally different oppion about the same subject. Thats just my thoughts on this matter. GL in your search. Josey or Olney there both great cue makers.
Jeff

gascoigne
07-14-2010, 10:32 AM
my order is confirmed....6 months to go and counting...I got a timeless timber shaft and a normal shaft...can't wait to see the difference

gascoigne
07-22-2010, 09:52 AM
bump for more comments

pwd72s
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
my order is confirmed....6 months to go and counting...I got a timeless timber shaft and a normal shaft...can't wait to see the difference

It'll be a while, but waiting to read your thoughts on the two shafts...and seeing pics of your cue, of course..;)

gascoigne
07-23-2010, 07:26 PM
keep the comments coming!

powerlineman80
07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I dont own one but from an outsider Jeff Olney makes some of the best built cues around. He rings generally match-up, his points are the sharpest and cleanest around. I think he is way underrated.

gascoigne
07-26-2010, 12:35 AM
I own a Olney PJ, and I know it plays great....hope the Josey plays better...I ordered it in a heavier weight which I love

Keep the comments coming guys

gascoigne
08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
bump for more comments!!