PDA

View Full Version : question: is nittish a word?

12310bch
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
This was a question posed on the Action Forum that I think to which all pool players should know the answer.

I can type nittish on my keyboard and it doesn't leave a blank space on my screen so it must be a word. There are degrees of nittishness as follows. In order of degree , from least to worst:

1) Nittishlike
2) Nittish
3) Nitty
4) Nit
5) What a Nit
6) What a fking Nit

paulempor
06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I wish I had your problems :thumbup:

Nice breakdown

easy-e
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
It's a good question. I have always found it to be absolutely hilarious when someone calls me any form of the word "nit". Example:

One time while I was living near Savannah, GA, I played the self-proclaimed town champion John Swope. I had the kind of job that required me to be out the door by 6:00 am, so any gambling I did came with a time limit, agreed to before my cue would even come out of the case.

We played four $40 short races in 9-ball. I won three of them bringing the total won up to $80. My time limit had passed and he knew it. He then proceeded to ask me for weight in 8-ball. I told him "we'll talk about it tomorrow night, but I gotta go". Long story short, he stiffed me for the $80 and told me that I was being "nitty".

From that moment on I knew that calling someone a "nit", "nitty", or any form of the word was hilarious. It seems to be a catch all when you want to insult someone in the pool world.

IMHO, gayest insult ever.

jay helfert
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Nittish is my middle name! :D

peteypooldude
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
According to who you are referring to lol

Measle Ball
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
There are other variants, e.g., "nitesque", "nitoid", "uber-nit", "nittle", and so on :)

berniep
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
This was a question posed on the Action Forum that I think to which all pool players should know the answer.

I can type nittish on my keyboard and it doesn't leave a blank space on my screen so it must be a word. There are degrees of nittishness as follows. In order of degree , from least to worst:

1) Nittishlike
2) Nittish
3) Nitty
4) Nit
5) What a Nit
6) What a fking Nit

"Welcome to all things Nit.......if it's not Nittish............it's ccccccrap!!"

Bernie.

pwd72s
06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Nittish is not in my Webster's deluxe unabridged dictionary.

But nitwit is....:wink:

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Frank Nitty was a member of Al Capone's mob.
If Paul Revere had had a lisp he would have said. "The Nittish are coming! the Nittish are coming!
Martha Stewart would tell you to nit one, perl two.
If I am a nitwit, then am I also witless nit?
In a parallel word, in a parallel universe a cat might be called a nat, in which case the nat could have nittens and take a crap in a nat box filled with, you guessed it, nitty litter.
I have to go now. That nit of a nurse is mad because I spend so much time in front of the computer. :)

Fast Lenny
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I like the saying a nit is someone who wont let you steal from them. I have heard people call others a nit because they do not bet high, bet money at all or do not put themselves in bad games. I know some people are fun type players who play 5, 10, 20 a set which is all fun, some do not bet at all and that's okay also. I try to put myself in games having the best of it or at the worst 50/50 so I guess to some people I could be a nit since I am smart enough not to ship my dough a 70/30 dog. :wink:

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
I like the saying a nit is someone who wont let you steal from them. I have heard people call others a nit because they do not bet high, bet money at all or do not put themselves in bad games. I know some people are fun type players who play 5, 10, 20 a set which is all fun, some do not bet at all and that's okay also. I try to put myself in games having the best of it or at the worst 50/50 so I guess to some people I could be a nit since I am smart enough not to ship my dough a 70/30 dog. :wink:

Hey, Lenny. You got a minute?
Let me ask you a question. Would you play with a cue with a warped shaft? :)

12310bch
06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Actually my sources say that ," Nit," is derived from the German word ," Niht." meaning ' empty,' or nothing. Thus arose the word ," Nitwit," meaning
, of course, empty headed.