PDA

View Full Version : Shaft warping?

TheThaiger
06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey

I've had a Predator 5K7 for about a year and have noticed the shaft has warped ever so slightly near the tip. The cue hasn't been misused and is not subjected to heat, moisture etc. Play at the moment isn't affected, but I'm worried it'll get worse over time.

I think my question is, when shafts start to warp, do they generally continue to warp, or is it likely it'll stay as it is?

TY

Roger Long
06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Good question. I hope there is a good answer.

Roger

greyghost
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Shafts will warp until the residual stresses are equalized. Shafts can be straightened because wood is subject to plastic deformation.

Your shaft warping will not ever affect your play unless you let it.

100% Truth....very few players even good players have cues that are DEAD STRAIGHT....some get close but most cues are crooked plain and simple.

You can actually "Plasticize" wood using anhydrous ammonia (i think thats the chemical) in a pressurized chamber for "X" amount of time....I always wanted to do that to a solid maple plain jane and bend the cue in a semi circle or something....and its supposed to hold shape and bend way better than steaming could ever do.

It sounds very elaborate but i would love to build a rig to straighten cues and shafts with it......not sure of the effects on the glues and such, there is no water involved and the ammonia escapes the wood within hours as opposed to possibly months with moisture.

Some rifle smiths do the types of wood bending your looking for tho and heres a few of the techniques they employ:

It depends on the stock finish as some guns have hard oils....

If its oil finished wood you can hold it in a vice using cloth to protect it.
Place a bath of linseed oil under the bit to be bent and place a tea candle or some other heat source under the oil container and when hot pour hot oil over the bit to be bent.bend it gently to over what you need and fix it untill cooled.

Example 2:
Its exactly the same as #1 but use a hot air gun to get the wood hot. this softens the resin wood fibers. Bend it gently when hot to 25% more than you need and keep it there till cool.

Example 3: (for cues imop this is the worst option)

Its the same theory tho instead of using oil, put a bath of water under the wood to be bent. With a burner under it cover with a heavy cloth and let the steam heat up the stock. Over bend as in above.

All the above work. But remember after you release the cold wood it will relax about 25%.

The only problems with these methods is you would most definately have to build some sort of jig that would have some sort of moveable pegs to adjust for the taper....

WARNING: Don't try this on your cue....if you want to play find some junk wood or junk cues to try it on a handful of times before you even think of trying to do any of the above to any descent or good cue....if you screw something up its on you my friends.

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Warped shafts can definitely effect your play. Common sense tells you that each time you strike the cue ball, with a warped shaft, you will have hit it (the CB) in a different spot. This is because you are constantly regriping your cue. The greater the warp, the the greater the miss potential.
Do you think the pros play with warped shafts? Do the best payers in your neck of the woods play with warped shafts? The answer is, no they do not.
If your shaft is bent (warped) an inch or so from the ferrule then you've probably been breaking with it. Or, perhaps the guy who had it before you did. :)

TATE
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey

I've had a Predator 5K7 for about a year and have noticed the shaft has warped ever so slightly near the tip. The cue hasn't been misused and is not subjected to heat, moisture etc. Play at the moment isn't affected, but I'm worried it'll get worse over time.

I think my question is, when shafts start to warp, do they generally continue to warp, or is it likely it'll stay as it is?

TY

I just had my first Predator shaft warp, a 314-2 that was about a year old. It took six months to a year to gain a curve and the warp is around 12" from the tip. It's not bad, maybe 1/8" total. The 2nd back up shaft didn't warp at all.

Because of where your warp is, I would say it's not likely to warp at that point much more. I think that your shaft, properly cared for, will pretty much stay like that. Usually warps toward the tip are mild. Nobody can say for sure if the rest of the shaft will move or not, but it sounds like you're going to be fine.

Chris

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Nah, common sense tells YOU that each time you strike the cue ball, with a warped shaft, you will have hit it (the CB) in a different spot.

Common sense tells me that I can hit the cueball anywhere I damn well please regardless of how straight my shaft is.

No ones going to believe that.

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 04:53 PM
You can go ahead and send me the most warped shaft you can find and I'll mount it on one of my cues and prove it via video.

The point is, the tip makes contact with the cueball for about 1/32".

People who place too much value on a straight shaft really don't understand physics.

Is is true that the physical sciences are not my strong suit, but I sure know BS when I hear it.

vasilios
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Tramp

are you saying that a shaft that has 1/8 inch of warp over a 12 inch section of a shaft can be complety compressed into a 1/32 strike zone in a milisecond.that is some pretty good compressing.

bill

POOL--TIME
06-24-2010, 05:33 PM
in my opinion i would think that if the warp was ahead of my stroke hand that it could then affect the hit...and if the warp was in the middle of the shaft, behind my stroke, that it would not play a part..

Tramp Steamer
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Care to expand on which part of my post you b(s)elieve that I cannot prove?

I'll tell you what Double, send a question over to the 'Ask The Cuemaker' side of the forum and I'll go along with anything they say. I'd think they would be the experts on this matter, wouldn't you?

greyghost
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
If your tip is at the CB when you get down and have a 90 elbow at least when you use a pendulum stroke....the TIP will go back right where you originally placed it....

it really doesn't matter to some degree....and were talking a little warp here not some U turn house cue.

Pooltime you hit it pretty good with your comment....most warps are usually B/H the bridge hand for what its worth...

TheThaiger
06-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - most helpful. I suspect I'm worrying about nothing, as usual.