PDA

View Full Version : What cue material don't you like????

Ky Boy
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Looking at cues in the for sale forum for so long I have come to the point that I just roll over the thread title and if I see cues that have certain materials in them I just keep on surfing. :D

Cues with turquoise or purpleheart are just a no-no for me. I don't know what it is about either material really but I don't like them in cues. I hear great things though about purpleheart cues from a performance standpoint but just can seem to take a liking to them aesthetically. Turquoise has never been a choice for me in anything really. :grin-square:

What material/materials used in cues whether it be for performance or aesthetics just keeps you from liking the overall cue?????

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just asking to see what people like or don't like overall. This might help cuemakers out there as well.

Gary

sweatinNbettin
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I dont like a huge amount of silver. For example ones that have silver inlays really dont do anything for me. A silver ring is fine but i like my inlays ivory.lol
I second the turquoise as well.

cyrex
06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm actually NOT a fan of ivory in the joint or the ferrules at all. Once I read that I just pass.

rocesm12
06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
zebra wood! to me it is the most unattractive wood to use in a cue.

tattoo
06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
there really isnt any material that i dont like.....but if a cue has floating points......i just cant make myself like them....i dont care who made it...and trust me bill shick has made some super fancy ones:o....just not for me.....

greyghost
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
not a fan of turquoise....I love the stone...just never saw it in a cue and liked it simultaneously

okinawa77
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't like CNC'ed points/inlays. To me it looks like someone pasted stickers or painted them on. Looks like junk to me.

I also don't like plastic butt caps or ferrules. They discolor and even non-discolored, they look like junk.

Also, don't like brass ferrules/joints.

zy112
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not usually a fan of a lot of purple heart on a cue, as in a purple heart sneaky or somethin. Usually turquise isnt one of my favorites either but I have a custome Pechauer with some turquise inlays that are sweet

Ky Boy
06-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I am particular about other things too...maybe its me getting older, I dunno!:thumbup:

But I have noticed that I have come to know what I like and don't like in a cue. I have also become less enthusiastic of steel jointed cues too. I have found that cues without it have more feel to them and allow me to seemingly have that extra control as opposed to the other.

Keep 'em coming guys...maybe we can design a politically correct cue that appeals to everyone!!!;):grin-square:

Gary

$TAKE HOR$E
06-24-2010, 07:39 PM
not a fan of turquoise....I love the stone...just never saw it in a cue and liked it simultaneously

I agree, it's almost as if it takes away from everything else in a cue or draws way to much attention. I am not a fan of metal rings, I have seen a ton of cues where the finish comes off above the rings. I like certain types of woods and inlays but when combined together or designed a particualr way I think can make them look bad. I have had a couple SW cues and liked the way they played but I am not a fan of the maple ring they put on the bottom. For the amount of cues they turn out, the buttsleeve area gets to be boring imo. Another thing I find to be not appealing is points close to the joint. I am not saying I dont like long points but I have seen lots of cues (sneaky petes mostly) where instead of cutting the butt end of the cue, the cuemaker cuts the shaft therefore having a very long handle area.

doitforthegame
06-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Stainless steel joints and floating points. Any cue design that is too "busy" and deviates from a traditional design.

mullyman
06-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not too fond of ivory joints. I prefer steel. I've seen too many ivory joints with cracks in them. No thanks. I like the look of the ivory though.

As for inlays, I prefer MOP or abalone.

MULLY

Tokyo-dave
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
I've never liked turquois in a cue, but for some odd reason, was impressed with what I consider 'tasteful' use of it in my Josey. Still have yet to see another cue with turquois that I like. I don't like ivory points either. The 'Tuxedo' cue to me is something that I've never cared for. Love the look of ivory, especially if it's discolored with streaks of grey and even yellowish. Looks good in joints, butt caps, ferrules, and some inlays, but as a point I can't stand. I also can't stand the look of purpleheart. I know, I know......one of the better hitting woods out there, which is why this particular wood should be limited for usage as a core material only! And last but not least............MALACHITE SUCKS IN A CUE!!
dave

RonsTheOne
06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I hate ebony. I know its used in some really high end cues, but to me you could get any piece of wood and just paint it black........Ron

atthecat
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Purple heart, turquoise and lizard wraps.

Measle Ball
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I do NOT like aluminum cues. Haven't seen them in quite a while, either, which is just fine with me.

BlowFish
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Any metal rings is a no-no to me. If I am sold a cue with metal rings, I'll have 2nd thoughts rightaway no matter who the maker is.

RunoutKing
06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I've always hated purpleheart, anything ivory, and also anything too flashy(silver and gold on a cue).I love maple shafts, though. :D

Snapshot9
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't like CNC'ed points/inlays. To me it looks like someone pasted stickers or painted them on. Looks like junk to me.

I also don't like plastic butt caps or ferrules. They discolor and even non-discolored, they look like junk.

Also, don't like brass ferrules/joints.

You named a lot of things I don't for either. I don't really care for ebony and ivory cues, not a big fan of purpleheart either.

I like Southwestern style of cues with good wood and a Southwestern style of inlays on it, and I am not talking about turquoise. I used to have one with Mexican Bocote' and Paduak woods with southwestern looking wood inlays in the butt down by the cap, and other inlays between the points that I liked real well.

AlBaker13
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I actually used to like the turquoise but grew out of it once I started getting familiar with custom cues, Purple heart doesn't catch my attention either although I have heard many good things about a purple heart shaft as a breaker. Another thing is uniloc joints, it might just be my luck but every time i used a uniloc, it always came loose, especially on my old BK2.

9bizzle
06-24-2010, 11:24 PM
For me, it would have to be lead. The thought of a thirty pound cue just doesn't do it for me. Plus, you can't lick your cue, and I've already had to swear off of paint chips so I'm going to lick my cue. Of course, that was just a poor attempt at humor and seriously, I would also say purpleheart has never been a favorite. There are other things that I don't like in general on a cue, but then again, almost anything used in the right way can really work and look good. I suppose even purpleheart if used in a certain context could work well on a cue.

PhilosopherKing
06-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Most linen wraps. Anything ivory. Poorly shaped tips. Large, protruding rubber bumpers.

JoeyInCali
06-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Plastic colored rings.
Thick nickel rings.
Pearl rings.
Soft woods as v-points.
Rounded points.

Wayward
06-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Red-colored woods like purpleheart, odd butt caps like those on Sailor cues or the metal butt caps on Cuetec cues, SS half-joints, CNC points, floating points, malachite and turquoise, brass and gold inlays, imitation ivory, inlaid shafts, lizard wraps, artistic cues.

brandoncook26
06-25-2010, 04:26 AM
I have never really liked bacote wood. There are a few cues I have seen it on but for the most part, nope. I also don't like points that come close to the joint. I would much rather see some space for the forearm to live.

I am surprised at how many people don't like purpleheart.

claymont
06-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Delrin...not all types/colors, just the stuff that's sort of translucent, or at least it looks that way to me. Not a fan of recon turquoise or malachite.

thrash attack
06-25-2010, 05:15 AM
After thinking about it I hate almost everything. Purpleheart, MOP, bacote, floating points, tuxedo cues, brass, flame veneers, all wraps aside from linen and cork, cues that use weight bolts,and excessive use of ivory. I'm sure I could think of more. I really like simple 4-8 point 4 veneer cues though.

gunzby
06-25-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't like turquoise, malachite, abalone and for some reason while I do like ivory Hoppe rings and ferrules I don't like ivory inlays or joints. I also have never seen a cue with floating points that I liked.

To be quite honest any cue that I own will have some sort of maple forearm (curly, BEM, quilted or burl). Any other wood as a forearm just isn't for me. Not saying I don't think a cue can look great with another forearm wood....just saying that it isn't for me.

Black-Balled
06-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Tulipwood and turquoise...can't stand 'em!

ftgokie
06-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Me personally, I dont like G10 pins, brass rings, terquoise. Not a huge fan of alot of ebony on a cue. If there is ebony, I like other materials to compliment the ebony. But to me if its 90% ebony, it just doesnt do anything to me. Dont get me wrong, its a pretty wood, but for my taste, I wouldnt buy a mostly ebony cue.

Oh yea, MOP, Delrin, flame veneers, floating points

perspicaz
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Metal butt-caps, rubber grips, plastic inlays, pearl-oid, black with white specs linen (all black much better), CNC round 'pseudo-veneered' points, decals, 'ebonized' maple. Malachite and turquoise are difficult to use tastefully.

Chi2dxa
06-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Stained wood of any kind, Metal Joints and Floating points.

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Sea urchin wraps really stick in my craw.
Depleted uranium joints and tips would be my second choice.
Metal shafts are my most amusing choice.

ftgokie
06-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Sea urchin wraps really stick in my craw.
Depleted uranium joints and tips would be my second choice.
Metal shafts are my most amusing choice.

I personally HATE joint pins made from baby sea lion bones beat to death by a baseball bat....For some reason it gives the bone/pin a softer hit....Now give me a pin made from porcupine penis bone...and I am happy!

A.J. DeAngelo
06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Tough sub.

SCCues
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I've never cared for Purple heart wood in a cue used as the forearm or butt sleeve. It looks ok used as inlays in some cues, but too much of it is overpowering to me. I have seen some cues that looked good with purple heart wood due to the design, but if I was to order a new cue I wouldn't use it.......

James

JoeyA
06-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Looking at cues in the for sale forum for so long I have come to the point that I just roll over the thread title and if I see cues that have certain materials in them I just keep on surfing. :D

Cues with turquoise or purpleheart are just a no-no for me. I don't know what it is about either material really but I don't like them in cues. I hear great things though about purpleheart cues from a performance standpoint but just can seem to take a liking to them aesthetically. Turquoise has never been a choice for me in anything really. :grin-square:

What material/materials used in cues whether it be for performance or aesthetics just keeps you from liking the overall cue?????

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just asking to see what people like or don't like overall. This might help cuemakers out there as well.

Gary

Gary,

I thought I was the only one in the world that didn't like Turquoise or Purpleheart in a cue. That's amazing that you would pick the only two things that I don't care for in a cue.

You must have great taste in other things! :D

Mike in MN
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Never been a big fan of brass pins.

Philthepockets
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I personally HATE joint pins made from baby sea lion bones beat to death by a baseball bat....For some reason it gives the bone/pin a softer hit....Now give me a pin made from porcupine penis bone...and I am happy!

That would be a ***** wouldn't it?

do not like

Round points
Floaters :D
Malachite
MOP
Turquoise
Linen
Lizard
Bumperless
huge white plastic butt caps
Ferruless
inlaid shafts
Metal joints
Chrome butt caps (reminds me of those cheap looking Cadillac wheels)

Zirroe
06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I used to dislike purple heart as well, but it grew on me and now I like the look of it, I've never cared for turquoise either, but when ordering this cue the cue maker suggested this inlay combo and surprisingly it came out great.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=91473

Zirroe
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't like bocote, 8 pointers where the short points are cut over the long points, use of ringtail lizard wraps on ivory pointed cues (why would you dress up your classy cue like a pimp?)

Standbykid
06-25-2010, 03:51 PM
No purpleheart, no silver, no maple points. Maple is for forearms and shafts.

cigardave
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I've seen malachite used tastefully in a cue.

Put me down for turquoise... no thanks.

And put me down for most floating point designs. Cog and Bobby Hunter may be exceptions as long their designs aren't too extravagant.

Tramp Steamer
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I've never liked concrete. It makes a cue unweildy, in my opinion. :)

Mike in MN
06-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I've never liked concrete. It makes a cue unweildy, in my opinion. :)

Agreed. It's totally cumbersome and creates an awkwardness about the cue itself.

mullyman
06-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I hate ebony. I know its used in some really high end cues, but to me you could get any piece of wood and just paint it black........Ron

Yeah, but a really nice piece of ebony isn't jet black....well, it is, but you can still see the wood grain. That makes a huge difference from one that is painted black. My wife has an all ebony Mottey, no points, that is just gorgeous. Myself, I'm not fond of ebony because of the stiffness of it. I like it in points and above the butt cap though.
MULLY

xpatcan1
06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Turquoise!
Round CNC inlays and points!
Purple heart is most cues (not all)
Giant radial pins!
G10 pins that are light green (what is that all about?)
Black linen with white spec
Double black spec linen (why does there need to be so many specs?)
Malachite!
Inlays above points (almost always because the cuemaker made bad points)
Clear coat over wrap area!
Wooden pins!

poolplayer2093
06-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Any metal rings is a no-no to me. If I am sold a cue with metal rings, I'll have 2nd thoughts rightaway no matter who the maker is.

you and me are on the same page here. i've always thought it's worth the extra effort to put ring work in a cue instead of just metal rings

KSwiss10
06-25-2010, 08:08 PM
I like simple cues. Cocobola or birds eye maple wood, stainless steel joints and a linen wrap. Anything more than that is too much for me. I can appreciate the craftsmenship and the detail of the "fancier" cues, but they're just not for me.

bob c
06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't like pink ivory wood, goncalo alves, tulipwood, linen wrap, inlaid grips, metal joints, oval inlays or floating points.

spliced
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
full splice blanks or titlist conversions with the entire splice moved forward above the wrap, putting the points close to the joint. it just looks cluttered. i like the wrap to start right where the maple forearm starts..ala hercek.

also, flared buttcaps, stained or colored maple, ivory joints, lizard wraps, hoppes with bumpers

nksmfamjp
12-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Ferrules over 1"
Curly Maple
Large Bumpers
Butt Caps over 30mm
Full length SS joints with 1 silver ring
Complicated joint rings which won't match up over the life of the cue
Snakewood looks nice, but means less to me than most and not worth the risks.
Production LD shafts on a custom cue
not piloted 5/16" pins
QR joints on a player
thin materials in the joint
Excessive ivory usage
excessive CNC cut inlays(i.e. not sharp)
Too many or too complicated of inlays
unsigned cues
gold or precious stones. I can like gold used in a very tasteful way
any roll
Woods which a simple Google search returns back UNSTABLE in caps!
$30 + dollar tips
Magic ferrule materials
Shafts smaller than 12.7mm
Cues made in small batch production sold as custom
Any attempt to copy or be influenced by Southwest

Craig Fales
12-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Agreed. It's totally cumbersome and creates an awkwardness about the cue itself.
I experimented with concrete but found you couldn't put good spin on the ball and the feel was dead.

JoeyA
12-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Gary

You've started a very interesting thread. People's taste will be all over the board.

Like you I don't care much for Purple heart.

However, I think all of the materials that are listed in this thread CAN be used effectively. It's kind of like a woman dressing up to go out for the night. Any woman can improve her attention-getting with just the right amount of components and color but if she adds too much or leaves off too much, well, then she gets the wrong kind of attention.

I've gotten away from ivory in ferrules and stainless steel joints but that's more of a subjective performance perspective than it is a style preference.

NewStroke
12-18-2010, 08:50 AM
rubber joints and ferrules are the worst.

StrokeofLuck
12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
If nothing else I believe you have brought out from this thread that turquoise is the most disliked material in cue making. I would agree and don't care for any stone in a cue.

NewStroke
12-18-2010, 09:17 AM
If nothing else I believe you have brought out from this thread that turquoise is the most disliked material in cue making. I would agree and don't care for any stone in a cue.

I think it looks great, my cue has turquoise in it. Obviously opinions vary. :)

StrokeofLuck
12-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I think it looks great, my cue has turquoise in it. Obviously opinions vary. :)

Yeah but weren't you just putting down rubber joints?:p

NewStroke
12-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah but weren't you just putting down rubber joints?:p

LMAO, point taken.

Mr. Wiggles
12-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Stainless steel joints and floating points. Any cue design that is too "busy" and deviates from a traditional design.

Would add Cnc round points, which are IMO not points cause they aren't sharp. Monster cues are great to look at but are like buying a Rolls Royce which is not in the cards for most of us. I believe stainless joints come from so many cue makers coming from a machinists background. Metal rings look great but they LIFT through the finish. Might as well say it. Don't want metal in my cues. Well, maybe just the pin and now we can get a G-10. Wood with wood and just a smattering of wood would make a nice cue.

AKStickGuy
12-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I'll chime in... I'm not too keen on Purpleheart, Pink Ivory, or Turquoise... I don't think I like any stone inlay, to be honest.

I like Cocobolo and Ebony, and prefer my points to be sharp and even.

PoolBum
12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
My aesthetic taste in cues is very particular. I like what I would describe as classic, fairly simple, but elegant designs. I don't like "busy" looking cues, with like 700 inlays.

So, materials I don't like in cues:
-turquoise
-silver or gold
-metal rings
-white irish linen wraps
-any veneers that are blue or orange

I've always loved ebony points into highly figured birdseye maple, with tastefully done ivory inlays. Here's a South West I used to own with a similar design. If anyone knows where this cue is these days please let me know:

Ky Boy
12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow, that someone has resurrected an older thread means this subject has some merit to it...

I agree with you JoeyA on your perspective of certain items, while not popular, can be used in a very tasteful way giving a cue style. But for the most part I have, to this point, not saw a cue with Turquoise that jumps out at me...Purpleheart on the other hand can be used to dress up a cue I suppose...I only comment on these two materials solely because they are really the only ones that have failed to grab me as of yet.

There is a certain cuemaker on here that uses one of those materials in every cue I have seen produced thus far and I watch the cues get bumped quite a few times before it is eventually sold...I would like to try his cues but even plain sneaky petes are dressed up with some sort of inlay...I understand he may using it as a trademark but IMO he should become more aware of what the majority of buyers DON'T want in their cues.....

BTW, thanks for bringing back a very informational thread!!

Gary

phread59
12-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I hate wraps, period. No linen, no lizard, not even leather. Give me a beutiful piece of wood for a grip. Don't care for a lot of CNC work. Floating points are fine if kept to a minimum. Do not care for ivory either. Too much cost and too much chance for it to get damaged.

I like a simpler cue. Merry widows and Sneaky's with some detail, rings and maybe an inlay or 2.

And last but not least I hate small shafts. Give me 12.75 exactly. And hate Predator shafts. Too dead for my tastes. I'd be open to an OB classic pro. Or a cuemaker's own LD shaft. Otherwise give me a high ring count maple shaft with a stiff ferrule and a medium layered tip.

Mark Shuman

Ky Boy
12-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I hate wraps, period. No linen, no lizard, not even leather. Give me a beutiful piece of wood for a grip. Don't care for a lot of CNC work. Floating points are fine if kept to a minimum. Do not care for ivory either. Too much cost and too much chance for it to get damaged.

I like a simpler cue. Merry widows and Sneaky's with some detail, rings and maybe an inlay or 2.

And last but not least I hate small shafts. Give me 12.75 exactly. And hate Predator shafts. Too dead for my tastes. I'd be open to an OB classic pro. Or a cuemaker's own LD shaft. Otherwise give me a high ring count maple shaft with a stiff ferrule and a medium layered tip.

Mark Shuman

Then how does this cue strike you??? This is one of the most well balanced cues I have ever seen that incorporates all I like in a cue too...:thumbup:

There are more pics in the gallery of this monster by Richard Harris....this is my dream cue!!! lol

PoolBum
12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Then how does this cue strike you??? This is one of the most well balanced cues I have ever seen that incorporates all I like in a cue too...:thumbup:

There are more pics in the gallery of this monster by Richard Harris....this is my dream cue!!! lol

That's a very nice looking cue. phread59 said he prefers cues with no wrap, and to show the difference in aesthetics I would definitely prefer this cue with a dark brown or black lizard wrap.

Ky Boy
12-18-2010, 10:41 PM
That's a very nice looking cue. phread59 said he prefers cues with no wrap, and to show the difference in aesthetics I would definitely prefer this cue with a dark brown or black lizard wrap.

To each his own I guess....lol......but for me that cue is primo just the way it is....I love stack leather wraps but I also like wrapless...Linen??? no thanks man, I'll pass....

Gary

softshot
12-18-2010, 11:37 PM

phread59
12-19-2010, 08:29 AM
That is a very nice cue indeed. I'd play with that puppy any day. I think 8 points though is getting a little busy. But it is an amazing piece of work. I'd be proud to take that into any hall.

I just got my Josie sneaky Thursday. 2 curl tips at top and bottom of the points. Bocote into BE Maple. Hoppe butt ring and silver and bocote rings at the joint. Brown melamine joint and cap. 2 shafts, 1 Kamui black (soft I think, have to ask Kieth) and an Everest. Hits amazing. I'm still getting used to it. Ball count went up about 2 or 3 yesterday. I'm happy.

I'd love a Bluegrass some day. Thanks for the pic.

Mark Shuman

edu07070
12-20-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know what I dislike in a cue , but let me tell you what I like in a cue , : First and most important FULL SPLICE , if not I don't care , 3/8 10 flat face , and 59"or 60" shaft any taper( except pro taper ) 12mm ivory furell , soft layer tip . Thanks

victorl
12-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Wow I never knew there were so many purple heart haters out there! Us PH lovers better stick together! Anyone with me?

ridewiththewind
12-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Also not a fan of the reconstituted stones in cue inlays. Not a fan of Tuxedo cues. Really bugs me when the butt sleeve wood and the points wood are different, lacks continuity, IMHO. Hate stained maple, especially in the nose...I'm talking greys, and assorted other colors...honey like stains are okay, I guess, but would prefer just a nice naturally older darker piece used instead. Glue lines and/or gaps in veneers bug me moreso than slightly off points. Wraps...period, too distracting for my grip which tends to adjust to the shot needed. Am fairly unimpressed with the 'feel' of ivory joints. Rings that don't index are another peeve. Crappy finishes. Ivory handles....bleached shafts. Laminated shafts. Weight bolts.

Kinda picky, huh?! LoL!

This is pretty much my ideal cue...and lucky for me, I own it!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/BoisdeRosie/josey1-2.jpg

Lisa

LAlouie
12-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Wood, leather, and linen.

Black-Balled
12-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Tulipwood, turquoise and ivory joints.

Any kinda wrap too, while I am accentuating the negative.

Black-Balled
12-20-2010, 06:56 AM
tulipwood and turquoise...can't stand 'em!

you rock!!!!!

pt109
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Ivory ferrules and joints..very unstable

Buska-rings...also unstable

Pro taper..the taper should accommodate the cue ball,not the bridge

Any inlays that aren't compatible with wood when it's cold,hot,or humid

ok...pro taper isn't material...but I was running out of material

classiccues
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Any recon stone.. malachite, lapis, turquoise, or whatever...

Any precious stone overload.. to many "real" diamonds, or rubies, or saphirres, etc...

Bacote, tulipwood, heavily orange cocobolo and kingwood are my least favorite woods....

Cored cues.. stop with this it makes all the cues hit the same nonsense and just say you have no idea on how to handle and treat wood. On the real unstable woods, ok, but who really wants a Koa forearm, or an amboynia burl forearm anyways.

JV

JoeyInCali
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Any recon stone.. malachite, lapis, turquoise, or whatever...

Any precious stone overload.. to many "real" diamonds, or rubies, or saphirres, etc...

Bacote, tulipwood, heavily orange cocobolo and kingwood are my least favorite woods....

Cored cues.. stop with this it makes all the cues hit the same nonsense and just say you have no idea on how to handle and treat wood. On the real unstable woods, ok, but who really wants a Koa forearm, or an amboynia burl forearm anyways.

JV
Black Boar doesn't know how to handle and treat wood ?
http://www.blackboarcustomcues.com/howto/default.asp?CTID=94&IID=

pwd72s
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
After reading ALL of this thread...opinions of likes & dislikes are all over the map. This is good news for cue makers.

One thing I did NOT see defended? Rounded tips CNC points. Yep, I prefer sharp points too.

pt109
12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
After reading ALL of this thread...opinions of likes & dislikes are all over the map. This is good news for cue makers.

One thing I did NOT see defended? Rounded tips CNC points. Yep, I prefer sharp points too.

Ah,forgot about rounded points...I hate them...
,also hate floating points..
..and too much decoration..they're like a woman with too much makeup

classiccues
12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Black Boar doesn't know how to handle and treat wood ?
http://www.blackboarcustomcues.com/howto/default.asp?CTID=94&IID=

Well lets just say Gus didn't core...

JV (---- In Gus we trust...:)

JoeyInCali
12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Well lets just say Gus didn't core...

JV (---- In Gus we trust...:)

He didn't have a gun drill then.
And he probably didn't know about the Asian market where humidity runs in the 90's often.

classiccues
12-20-2010, 05:07 PM
He didn't have a gun drill then.
And he probably didn't know about the Asian market where humidity runs in the 90's often.

He sent cues all over the states, Florida, all down south. It's not like humidity was recently discovered.

He made a few of rosewood and ebony nose cues, none drilled. That we do know.

JV

Jcat
12-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Anything put in a cue that makes it too expensive for me to buy!

SOULHASSORROW
12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Anything put in a cue that makes it too expensive for me to buy!

Agreed LOL!!!

acura9418
12-21-2010, 12:59 AM
i don't like s/s

lukemindish
12-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Not a fan of stacked leather wraps. I also dont like cork wraps. Not a fan of turquoise. I dont like MOP or abalone. Im really not a fan of pink ivory or kingwood either.

SARDiver
12-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Holy resurrected threads, Batman!

I did a search for "turquoise" to see some other opinions about it in cues, and this thread stuck out like a dead nun in a snow bank.

I haven't looked up all of the terms to know exactly what people are referring to with regards to the construction of cues.

I really like the look of Cocobolo and turquoise in a cue, but I seem to be a small minority. I love the way the Schon CX-03 looks. It has floating points, too, above and below the wrap. I didn't realize my tastes were so far afield. LOL

Runner
12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
There was a thread about sharp points where some of this came up...

Zebrawood, tulipwood, any super wide grain wood is a non starter for me.
Turquoise, malachite, any sparkly filler is an instant turn-off... and I've seen some very high end cues where that just killed it for me. Other no-go's=

Brass joints and ferrules
Too much CNC, CNC rounded points
No veneers on points
"Looks like ivory".. no it don't, it looks like plastic.
Floating points, above and below wrap
Elephant/lizard/Eel wraps... meh.
Filagree/scrimshaw all over the cue... looks nice on a .45, on a cue not so much.

Things I like=
Balanced design... a good design is everything!
A little inlay, pearl or ivory... see Gus and Tad.
SS piloted joint... I'm just used to it, started on 'em.
Small silver rings as in Bushka rings are nice, nothing huge.

jayburger
12-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Stainless joints, ivory ferrules, bacote wood. I will buy stainless jointed cues for collectibility but not for playability.

Drop The Rock
12-22-2015, 02:11 PM
SS Compression joints, SS have sleeve joints look pretty good though, brass does as well.

galipeau
12-22-2015, 03:32 PM
brass does as well.

Heck yeah, brass is pretty sweet when done right... Not very popular any more though. However, copper has made a slight comeback in some high end cues like Sugartrees.

Also, I'm sure it's been said, but I generally dislike malachite and anything pearlescent.

Jimmy_Betmore
12-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I experimented with concrete but found you couldn't put good spin on the ball and the feel was dead.

Try a different maker. My cue guy uses extra rebar. But it's cored with purple heart and lemonwood.

All joking aside...

Turquoise

Malachite

Solid snakewood forearms and/or butt sleeves (love it as points and inlays)

Purple Heart

Pink ivory (unless used VERY sparingly)

Brittle plastic parts (a la Meucci joints)

Fun thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARDiver
12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
I notice malachite and turquoise mentioned a lot. Is it just aesthetics, or do the cues play/feel differently? (Feel as in how they hit, not to the touch.)

Blue Hog ridr
12-22-2015, 03:50 PM
KY, everyone has their favorites and not so favorite materials. I would bet that if this Thread went on long enuff, you could start making a list and really see per numbers how it looks.

I do like PH in a cue. I have a fairly large box of Curly PH waiting. And that in itself is pretty.

Turquoise not so much in a cue or otherwise. I dunno. To me, it does cheapen the look somewhat. I have no idea as to why, it just does. Let Turquoise be for Native jewelry in NM or somewhere.

And as another person mentioned, Silver. It's like chrome on a car or motorcycle. A little is just fine. Too much and you cross the line between tasteful and gaudy.

Floating Points is another as mentioned. I'm for sharp points and veneer colors that match up nicely.

For myself, I will always like Straight Maple and Curly. I don't mind Bird's Eye but not as much as the others.

I also have some nice Coco that is waiting. It is a decent hitting wood and one can get some nicely figured Coco where you can just allow it to stand out by itself.

Ebony Points, yes, sometimes no veneers necessary.

Plain Janes or Merry Widows if you like. Segmented cues using woods that match both in the hit and aesthetics, with Ring Work that compliments the choices of wood.

A few Diamonds in different materials. Notched Diamonds topping the list for inlays.

Boxes in the Butt Sleeve with veneers or not, depends.

I have some 40 year plus musical grade Maple. Plus quite a few large blocks of Curly and Water Fall that need to be cut. A box of King Wood, which is just what, a different genus of Rose wood. Now, Rose Woods are another that are all very nice to use. I have some other Rose Woods. I have enuff Striped Ebony for one cue. Some Camphor Burl. Pheasant Wood and the list goes on. If not mistaken, isn't Coco in the Genus of Rose Wood also?

I purchased enuff Ancient Kauri for one segmented cue. Comes with a COA as to the age. 50,000 years old. I just thought that it would be kinda neato to be playing with a Fred Flintstone Cue. Likely core that with PH.

ideologist
12-22-2015, 03:51 PM
I don't like ivory.

DavidMNienow
12-22-2015, 04:39 PM
For myself I am not crazy about purple heart, tulipwood, bacote wood, mother of pearl, chrome butt caps, and elephant ear wraps.

I do LOVE the following:

Ivory Joints, ferrules and inlays (the more the better)
Malachite
Turquoise
Lapis
Abalone
Silver
Floating Points
Round CNC Points
Flame Veneers
Inlaid Shafts
Inlaid Handles
Tuxedo Cues
Symmetry in Cue Design
3/8-10 joint pins
Lizard Wraps
Amboynia and Thurya Burl wood and any other species of burl wood

I love my cues wild in design, and lots of inlays with my favorite materials gets me excited and leaves me feeling confused.

Finally, I LOVE a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig. :)

Rtstreet
12-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Chrome butt caps.
I like unique looking cues. Sometimes I get tired of birds eye, everywhere I look I see it.
Don't like steel joints there just not for me. I do like the look of black boar's joint but never played with one.

j_zippel
12-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Purple Heart.

Baron
12-22-2015, 06:07 PM
floating points yuck

reverse points yuck

reverse floating points omg i'm going to vom

put me on the malachite/turquoise yuckwagon

gothic point designs a la Keith Josey's scabdagger stuff (his cues play great, that design's just not to my taste aesthetically)

most stained maple yuck

sneaky petes with wraps look a little silly to me

more points than 6 blechh

lizard/elephant ear/most textured wraps blaghhh

uni-loc joints can go jump in a lake

RichSchultz
12-22-2015, 06:28 PM
I love purple heart. Hate lizard wrap, rainbow veneers, uneven points.

Sealegs50
12-22-2015, 07:41 PM

How did I know that?

Sealegs50
12-22-2015, 07:45 PM
floating points yuck

reverse points yuck

reverse floating points omg i'm going to vom

put me on the malachite/turquoise yuckwagon

gothic point designs a la Keith Josey's scabdagger stuff (his cues play great, that design's just not to my taste aesthetically)

most stained maple yuck

sneaky petes with wraps look a little silly to me

more points than 6 blechh

lizard/elephant ear/most textured wraps blaghhh

uni-loc joints can go jump in a lake

This guy gets it. I am a bit more forgiving of sneaky petes with wraps particularly if they were built by Dennis or Bill. But other than that, he nailed my list.

Lizard feels much better than it looks. EE looks much better than it feels. In the end, I stick with linen. But that Atlas white with green speck is completely gaggable.

Great idea for a thread! This could be fun.

JoeyInCali
12-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Colored ferrules and thick metal rings.

classiccues
12-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Don't like any reconstituted stone.. no malachite, turquoise, lapis.

Not a fan of cored cues. Gus, George, Burton, Paradise, Palmer, Martin.. none of them did it and they made cues for world champeeens...

Not a fan of poorly executed tribute cues.

JV

SARDiver
12-22-2015, 07:55 PM

"I said, 'I know, Dad, ain't she cool?!?! That's the kind I dig.'"

Type79
12-22-2015, 08:06 PM
"Not a fan of poorly executed tribute cues."

A poorly executed tribute cue fails to be a tribute cue at all.

Colonel
12-22-2015, 08:08 PM
It's easier to describe what you like. I like old school cues. Piloted Steel 5/16x14, BEM Forearms, veneered Ebony points and simple Ebony butt sleeve. Leather Wrap, black Linen micarta ferrules. Simple, functional. Not a fan of inlays or other fancy things. A solid utilitarian tool with classic look.

DavidMNienow
12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
How did I know that?

Must be psychic!

9Ballr
12-22-2015, 10:34 PM
"What cue material don't you like?"

Purpleheart...

lakeman77
12-23-2015, 02:10 AM
Never much cared for the way Purple Heart plays

garczar
12-23-2015, 05:27 AM
Bacote. To me it's butt-ugly.

pt109
12-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Bacote. To me it's butt-ugly.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I love a four point bocote with inlays on the points....tough color to work with...
...gotta be browns, yellows, and blacks.

berko
12-23-2015, 09:37 AM
butterfly splices

Untextured leather wraps

Floating points

Rounded "points"

Hi/lo points

Flame veneers

Decals :D

galipeau
12-23-2015, 10:15 AM
More Purpleheart for me mofo's!!!!!

Runner
12-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I notice malachite and turquoise mentioned a lot. Is it just aesthetics, or do the cues play/feel differently? (Feel as in how they hit, not to the touch.)

For me it's the look... I've seen some very, very good hitting cues that just look horrible,
way too much sparkle/bling. Turquoise is beautiful, just not on cues IMO.

JoeyA
12-23-2015, 11:24 AM
If a cue has whatchamacallit in it, I want to puke.

JoeyA

timothysoong
12-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Hate inlays in cues.

HawaiianEye
12-23-2015, 12:07 PM
It's easier to describe what you like. I like old school cues. Piloted Steel 5/16x14, BEM Forearms, veneered Ebony points and simple Ebony butt sleeve. Leather Wrap, black Linen micarta ferrules. Simple, functional. Not a fan of inlays or other fancy things. A solid utilitarian tool with classic look.

You and I have similar tastes.

Almost all my cues have been like that...minus black ferrules and leather wrap, but I've been meaning to add a black wrap to one of my Titlist conversions.

The last leather wrap cue I owned was a "Casino" model that I had Richard Black make me back in 1981.

pt109
12-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Hate inlays in cues.

I don't mind inlays....
...it's the outlay that gives me a problem...
...HOW MUCH??????
:eek:

BigNBeefY
12-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm not a fan of smaller pins - particularly the piloted 5/16x14 or x18 - just a personal preference. I don't like the way the metal on metal of the insert and pin resonate. its just not for me. still amazed to see how many top tier cue makers are using the 5/16x14 and putting metal inserts and pilots on gorgeous shafts. I personally think it was a trend that got out of hand. give me a g10 radial or 3/8x10 pin any day over ss

Type79
12-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Everyone has different tastes. Otherwise every car made would still be available in only one color.

Materials and woods all by themselves have little bearing on the beauty of a cue. The overall design is what is most important.

A cue with inlays or veneers applied without much forethought can look confusing while a cue with none might be totally uninspiring. Conversely, some of the most beautiful designs are merry widows made of highly figured woods devoid of any decoration and those on the opposite end of the spectrum which are handsome designs with 100s of inlays.

We all have our preferences but it is the design and careful choice of it's components that creates a cue that is pleasing to the eye.

skins
12-23-2015, 02:16 PM
The only material I dislike is one that I can't put in a cue..:smile:

J$Cincy
12-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Ivory Ferrules.... I don't play very well but it is noticeably worse with ivory ferruled shafts

cubswin
12-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Leather and exotics wraps. Just don't care for it. Turquoise as most everyone else.

Also, not a huge fan of pink ivory, tulipwood, and purple heart in anything but a sneaky.

gregnice37
12-23-2015, 06:04 PM
For me it's stainless steel joint & linen wrap. I'll pass by everytime

Black-Balled
12-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Floating points and turquoise.
:barf:

HarddTimezz
12-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Don't care for...

- Black w/wht speck linen
- Long buttsleeves
- Red veneers
- Large bulbous bumpers
- Hoppe ring that's too wide or misplaced
- Hoppe ring cue with bumper (should be bumperless)
- Centered rings on shaft and joint collars (prefer offset)
- Cue maker named stamped in buttcap (prefer signature or small logo unless Szamboti :D)

Dave-Kat
12-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Just something about a custom $pec cue with a load of turquoise that screams of the 'rotund hairy gypsy by the pool in Vegas' with euro speedo. Tacky to me.

This thread answers a few questions about our F/S section and all those odd ball white elephant 3k+ customs that have been bumped and for sale since I joined. Most have consistent elements that are on the 'dislike list'.

Merry Christmas:groucho:

-Kat

Shooter08
12-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Don't care for
Double silver joint collar rings
Thick White joint collar rings
Thicker than traditional hoppe rings
Lizard wraps
Cleared over linen, Meucci style
Southwest copy cat cues

HawaiianEye
12-23-2015, 09:17 PM
I don't like that little piece of something they always put in cues to make me miss. I don't know what it is, but some cues have more of it that others.

So, to all you cue makers...leave that damn stuff out of my cue...whatever it is.

Merry Christmas to all.

timothysoong
12-23-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't like that little piece of something they always put in cues to make me miss. I don't know what it is, but some cues have more of it that others.

So, to all you cue makers...leave that damn stuff out of my cue...whatever it is.

Merry Christmas to all.

lmao

Kim Bye
12-24-2015, 04:26 AM
Not big on linen and snake wraps.
Too many silver inlays, scrimsshaw work.
Sports logos and cheesy stuff like the superman S or batman symbol is hideous.
Palmer style cues is also low on my list.

Bank it
12-24-2015, 04:59 AM
Not fond of box cues, floating points, turquoise, lapis or other "stones" used for inlays.

I like cues for how they hit more than how they look but If a cue has any of the above listed items in it I don't care how well it hits, I'll just pass on by.

Str8PoolPlayer
12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Just can't warm up to Purpleheart, regardless the maker.
I've owned several and always turn them quickly.

JoeyInCali
12-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Imported joint screws.

63Kcode
12-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Merry Christmas to all.

You must be behind on your " no miss" subscription fees.

Larry

RingKing
12-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Bushka rings on anything other than an original Bushka.

Even then if I had the opportunity to purchase a Bushka either with or without bushka rings I would choose without.

Also Fancy cues without veneered points, floating points, non-notched diamond inlays, and large diamond inlays

JoeyInCali
12-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Bushka rings on anything other than an original Bushka.

Even then if I had the opportunity to purchase a Bushka either with or without bushka rings I would choose without.

Also Fancy cues without veneered points, floating points, non-notched diamond inlays, and large diamond inlays

Bushka rings above the wrap look lost to me .
Nice under the collar, but not above the wrap.

DaveM
12-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Overly elaborate cues with any material.
Floating points
Large inlays with MOP, turquoise or malachite or anything else.

Billiardbills
12-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Any material with floating points are my least favorite.

Green anything is difficult to pull off in a custom.

Cheap plastic isn't ever good.

mm4pool
12-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Hate turquoise personally dont like inlaid points. Points should be sharp and even. Give me a nice 4 point recut that lets the natural beauty of the wood shine through

M.G.
12-28-2015, 02:14 AM
All those different joints (seriously, what's wrong with you?) so I cannot interchange all the butts and shafts how I like it. There should be a law, just like there is with cellphone chargers now in the EU ;)

Maple only - I'd like to see ash and hornbeam shafts a lot more!

galipeau
12-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Colored pencils....

GaryB
12-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Purple heart, turquoise and lizard wraps.

Malachite.

Love Purple Heart-- color and especially hit.

Tangerine colored table and yet you don't like PH???

Billiardbills
01-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Colored pencils....

Pretty funny. However it is creative. Certainly not my cup of tea.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/06/f60c64d60794673f3773661018a59d3a.jpg

ivicafranic
01-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Don't like juma for ferrules:eek::eek::eek:

oneshotwiss
01-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Turquoise and mother of pearl for me

mortuarymike-nv
01-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Metal rings
White plastic, I rather use elk or deer antler or Ivory, I bought some fake ivory but I don't know if I will ever use it.
Really I don't care for any plastics besides in the joint or ferrule.
Phenolic joints are ok I just don't care for Plastic inlays of any color.
Aluminum Pins
Wooded joint collars
collarless joints
Plastic parts used inside the cue. I remove a 8.5 oz weight bolt out of a cue the other day because 2/3 of the butt was made with plastic parts.( McDermott )
Fat butts
Laminated shafts.
STICKERS
If the CNC operator or programmer uses a small cutting tool Floating points are ok but the big rounded points is a turn off.
Weird pin sizes, I do like the big wooden pin cues or at least the way they play, but I prefer 3/8 x 10 or 11.

supergreenman
01-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Ivory and exotic skins for wraps.

Runner
01-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

Efren knows about those... has 'em removed. I think someone has gradually been sneaking them back in Earl's cues.

TheBook
01-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, any material used to make the butt and shaft that is not wood.

🎱