PDA

View Full Version : JUMP CUE REVIEW: Steve Lomax

JoeyA
06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Steve Lomax has been after me for quite a long time to try out his line of jump cues and I have declined his generous offer for some time, partially because I always seem to have one or two jump cues that I was satisfied with.

Recently, I had difficulty jumping the heavier bar table cue ball and was in search of another jump cue. After a couple of telephone conversations, Steve sent me one of his unique jump cues. I didn't want a break/jump cue and so he sent me a jump cue to test out.

The jump cue that he sent, matches my POW-MIA Bender playing cue's rings and I have been practicing with it for a few days now.

Buffalo Billiards had a table that is waiting to be covered so I practiced off and one for the past couple of days.

Immediately upon using the Lomax jump cue, I knew that it was capable of jumping far better than my other jump cues, ESPECIALLY heavier cue balls. I always thought that my "light" jump cue was superior for "dart stroking/jumping" and that just isn't so. Steve's jump cue comes in three pieces and I can jump most shots with the traditional method of jumping using just two pieces of the jump cue, leaving off the last part. If I have a super long distance jump shot, I add the third piece and it definitely helps with accuracy on the longer shot.

On shots where the cue ball is close to an impeding object ball, I can use the first two pieces and dart stroke exceptionally well.

Also on medium distance shots, I can use the same first two pieces of the jump cue with incredible accuracy.

There is NO DOUBT that my jumping ability has increased significantly. I no long jump hoping to hit the object ball. Now, I am expecting to make the object ball on EVERY shot. The truth is that I don't make every jump shot but I am so much better at jumping than I formerly was that is is a joke that I waited this long to try out Steve Lomax's signature jump cues.

Eventually, even a hard-head like me will try something new when it is offered to him.

I guess it's better late than never. :o

BigDogatLarge
06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Steve Lomax has been after me for quite a long time to try out his line of jump cues and I have declined his generous offer for some time, partially because I always seem to have one or two jump cues that I was satisfied with.

Recently, I had difficulty jumping the heavier bar table cue ball and was in search of another jump cue. After a couple of telephone conversations, Steve sent me one of his unique jump cues. I didn't want a break/jump cue and so he sent me a jump cue to test out.

The jump cue that he sent, matches my POW-MIA Bender playing cue's rings and I have been practicing with it for a few days now.

Buffalo Billiards had a table that is waiting to be covered so I practiced off and one for the past couple of days.

Immediately upon using the Lomax jump cue, I knew that it was capable of jumping far better than my other jump cues, ESPECIALLY heavier cue balls. I always thought that my "light" jump cue was superior for "dart stroking/jumping" and that just isn't so. Steve's jump cue comes in three pieces and I can jump most shots with the traditional method of jumping using just two pieces of the jump cue, leaving off the last part. If I have a super long distance jump shot, I add the third piece and it definitely helps with accuracy on the longer shot.

On shots where the cue ball is close to an impeding object ball, I can use the first two pieces and dart stroke exceptionally well.

Also on medium distance shots, I can use the same first two pieces of the jump cue with incredible accuracy.

There is NO DOUBT that my jumping ability has increased significantly. I no long jump hoping to hit the object ball. Now, I am expecting to make the object ball on EVERY shot. The truth is that I don't make every jump shot but I am so much better at jumping than I formerly was that is is a joke that I waited this long to try out Steve Lomax's signature jump cues.

Eventually, even a hard-head like me will try something new when it is offered to him.

Joey,

You have nice words for one of the greats in the cue builder world. Those j/b's not only play well, they look damn fine as well. Kudos to you both.

Dwight

edd
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the review, Joey. A local semi-pro player has recently obtained one and really likes it. If I wasn't so pleased with my custom, I'd purchase one. I do like the idea of the 3-piece cue.

BobTfromIL
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks Joey

Great info, I have a Lomax jump cue on the way really looking forward to trying it.

Bob

ftgokie
06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a Lomax jump cue, and have had 2 other jump cues he made. He really makes a nice cue. I dotn like to jump much, but when I do, its pretty easy with my Lomax. I would recommend him to anyone.

poolhustler
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Better late than never Joey!!

:)

Chi2dxa
06-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Steve makes great products and his cues are so fine they could be in the center fold of Playboy magazine. I am saving for one that he showed me that gave me such a hard-on I had to walk bent over to the pool table so no one would notice. A few years ago i had him install one of his jump/break tips on my shooting cue that I shot with for a long time until I out grew it (you enjoy stuff learn and move on).

TATE
06-25-2010, 08:50 AM

I like the three piece dedicated jump cues too. I would like to get one of these too - how do I contact him?

Chris

bnall
06-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I like the three piece dedicated jump cues too. I would like to get one of these too - how do I contact him?

Chris

Heres the number to his shop. 706-776-1252. I have a really nice jump/break and jump cue on order with Steve. Cant wait!

stevel
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Joey,
I want to thank you and the others for the kind words.I'm glad the cue works for you and hope you liked the ringwork.I'll see you at the Classic in a few weeks.

Thanks to all again,

Steve

JoeyA
06-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Joey,
I want to thank you and the others for the kind words.I'm glad the cue works for you and hope you liked the ringwork.I'll see you at the Classic in a few weeks.

Thanks to all again,

Steve

I sure am glad you didn't say, "I told you so". :D I remember two years ago when you tried to get me into one of your jump cues. What a wasted two years. :(

You do deserve the accolades and am glad to see others feel the same about your cues.

I think Larry Nevel and John Brumback play with your cues as well. Hopefully, they will be at the Gem City Classic July 9-11.

If you see our old friend and devil dog, Jim Jennings, see if he is going to make the trip.

jrt30004
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
lomax- the only way to fly:thumbup:

BobTfromIL
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
The cue came in today, beautiful and jumps great. This may be one time when the stick really makes the difference.

Bob

TATE
06-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Based on your esteemed reputation and recommendation, I just ordered one from Steve. Can't wait to try it out. I got the last one of the current batch - he has a new batch coming in a few weeks.

Chris

Matt90
06-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Joey I told ya so :D just kiddin .....Lomax jump cues Rule :yeah:

JoeyA
06-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Joey I told ya so :D just kiddin .....Lomax jump cues Rule :yeah:

I'm a knucklehead.:banghead::banghead: