PDA

View Full Version : Cloth color choice.

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
As I am currently about 2.875 steps away from purchasing a Diamond nine-footer for my basement, one of the decisions I need to make is the color of the cloth. This isn't as easy as I first thought.

From an aesthetic point of view, the logical choice would be to choose a cloth color that is in harmony with the rest of the decor, in my case a warm tone such as gold would likely blend well (though I am somewhat color-blind so maybe not :)!). However, the traditional table colors are blue-green or Simonis green and I am quite biased to go this route even though such colors would clash with the remainder of the room in the basement.

To me, having a traditional cloth color which is easy on the eyes with respect to shooting pool, outweighs any "clash factor"; aesthetics are secondary.

So to make a long story short, I will ask this question: are aesthetics primary or secondary in your choice of cloth color for your table? I did not want to turn this into another ridiculous poll but rather I am trying not to be closed-minded in my decision making on this matter. A pool table is a rather large and even dominant home fixture, and if I were to marry I could see the cloth color as being a potential bone of contention (although everything I own prior to marriage falls under a grandfather clause).

Thank you in advance.

-Measly

JustinHayes
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
.......... having a traditional cloth color which is easy on the eyes with respect to shooting pool, outweighs any "clash factor"; aesthetics are secondary.

This ^^^^^

I think my next re-cloth will be tournament blue

Dave Nelson
06-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Me? I would choose the traditional green regardless of the surrounding decor.

Dave Nelson

Spimp13
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
+1 tournament blue, hands down...easy on the eyes and looks sharp.

NickS923
06-25-2010, 07:53 AM
I just got my home table redone a few months ago with the Simonis 860 Tournament Blue and it will be the only color I ever put on a home table again. Its so elegant looking and very easy on the eyes. After playing on it for a while now it is my favorite color, even more so than the green.

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Green then blue is my choice. Any other color would be a felony. Red will probably earn you a death sentence here. :)

Beware_of_Dawg
06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
not taking surrounding motif into account Blue & Green are the tops

because of my decor at home I had to consider and warmed to...

Steel Grey (sharp!!) & Wine (NOT RED!, deep burgundy color)

junkbond
06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
When I had my table recovered a couple of months ago, I departed from green cloth for the first time in fifty years. I went with Simonis powder blue, which is a blue-gray color. I didn't want Tourny Blue because it's just too bright. The powder blue has the same "feel" as traditional green cloth, if that makes any sense to you. In previous threads, several people have pointed out that they felt blue cloth allowed them to see more clearly, and I have found that to be the case. Although it doesn't seem to be too popular, you might at least consider the powder blue. (Of course, if Simonis renamed it to "Bad-Ass Blue" or "Efren Blue" it would probably sell more.:))

ArizonaPete
06-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I would go with the Tournament Blue; however, if esthetics are important, I would opt for tan. Don't do gold! I watched a match that had gold cloth and there were a few remarks that it was the worst possible color. Perhaps, changing your room decor to blueish tones would make Tournament Blue more palateable. Good luck with your decision. You'lll have to live with it for at least a couple of years.

MitchAlsup
06-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I spent most of my learning time over 35 time on green tables, and a couple of red or gold ones. But when it came time for my own talbe, I went with Tourney Blue. It brightens the room compared to green.

paulempor
06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Tournament Blue just makes a table look like it belongs to royalty.....

easy-e
06-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I have a Diamond 9' in my basement with tournament blue cloth. I can tell you this, once you get the table in your basement, you will forget what the rest of the room looks like.

skip
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM
The color of money.

MOJOE
06-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Tournament Blue.. Nothing else comes close IMHO

Skess
06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I picked the Simonis tournament blue and am thrilled with it. It brightens up the playing surface and looks good also. It's always been pool table green for me until now. I've never been a fan of the "other" colors.

Something to think about...if you're worried about the room look, get the table cover to match the surroundings. That way you get the playing surface you want, but the room looks good otherwise.

9 on the snap
06-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Pool Tables are green.

336Robin
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
:thumbup:I like camel or tournament blue.

playerhater
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
There is really two ?? you should be asking. I put a brand new Diamond in my basement with blue cloth about two yrs ago and it looks great. But when i go out and play tournaments, gamble etc.,, it is usually 80 % of the time on green cloth.
I am getting green cloth this time because 80% of the time i am on green cloth. It might sound crazy but it takes time for eyes to adjust to different colors. (me anyway)
So depending on how serious of a player you are and what cloth color you usually play on.

1. Serious player-Play most of time on green-buy green
2. Serious player-Play most of time on blue-buy blue
3. Play for fun-blue

joe

jay helfert
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
There is a reason why green was the color of choice on pool tables for a million years. It is easiest on the eyes and provides a good background for the balls. I will always prefer traditional green with powder blue (a soft blue) my second choice. I've found the tournament blue to be almost too bright with the Diamond light. It will tire your eyes faster in my experience.

incognito
06-25-2010, 10:52 AM
There is a reason why green was the color of choice on pool tables for a million years. It is easiest on the eyes and provides a good background for the balls. I will always prefer traditional green with powder blue (a soft blue) my second choice. I've found the tournament blue to be almost too bright with the Diamond light. It will tire your eyes faster in my experience.

Is green really easier on the eyes than the tournament blue? Simonis apparently has done quite a bit of research on this and concluded that the tournament blue color is easiest on the eyes. The Diamond lighting seems to be very bright regardless of cloth color.

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Is green really easier on the eyes than the tournament blue? Simonis apparently has done quite a bit of research on this and concluded that the tournament blue color is easiest on the eyes. The Diamond lighting seems to be very bright regardless of cloth color.

I'd listen to Jay above anyone else. He has been around since they used Wooley Mammoth ass pelts to cover tables.

jay helfert
06-25-2010, 10:55 AM

I think so. But I have old eyes. ;)
I will say this. Research (and lots of it) has shown that the most soothing colors for us humans are Earth colors, like greens, blues (the sky) and browns. Most computer backgrounds are usually sky blue.

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you all for the replies on this.

It sounds like my original instinct was correct, and I may in fact look at re-carpeting the room using a cool tone. I must add that I also do not care to set a table on a carpet for level reasons but eventually it would settle into place. I personally couldn't care less if it left impressions in the carpet-

My eyes are getting old as well and I was born quite nearsighted (-10 diopters in my right eye) and I will very strongly consider green per Jay's advice, with blue a second possibility (I ain't sure what shade of blue the tables at Golden Fleece are but I like playing on it- maybe I'll ask next time I'm there).

Thanks again, AZB family. Greatly appreciated.

-Measly

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 11:50 AM
When I had my table recovered a couple of months ago, I departed from green cloth for the first time in fifty years. I went with Simonis powder blue, which is a blue-gray color. I didn't want Tourny Blue because it's just too bright. The powder blue has the same "feel" as traditional green cloth, if that makes any sense to you. In previous threads, several people have pointed out that they felt blue cloth allowed them to see more clearly, and I have found that to be the case. Although it doesn't seem to be too popular, you might at least consider the powder blue. (Of course, if Simonis renamed it to "Bad-Ass Blue" or "Efren Blue" it would probably sell more.:))

just seen this thread and seems to be the chioce of many is tournament blue. green is just fine also. But as junkbond has mentioned a powder blue i am wondering if tha is a lighter shade of blue. if so that might be my choice. you can see Jay says tourney blue is a little bright so if the powder blue is lighter you may want to consider it. i would !

seeya at the game show measle.

Mike in MN
06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Add me to those who like Tournament Blue

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I wonder if they make Ouschan Blue?

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if they make Ouschan Blue?

Actually they do, but it's considerably furrier. :D

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Actually they do, but it's considerably furrier. :D

Me and my big typing mouth :D

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Lol*********************

cigardave
06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
(I ain't sure what shade of blue the tables at Golden Fleece are but I like playing on it- maybe I'll ask next time I'm there).

Thanks again, AZB family. Greatly appreciated.

-Measly

First things first... color me in for tourn blue. :thumbup:

Secondly, the tables at Dave's are exactly the same as mine... 9-foot Pro Ams covered with tournament blue.

IMO, Diamonds are made for blue cloth and Gold Crowns look better with green.

And here's a pic of the spot on my table together with a couple of balls for color comparison.

I've had my table for 2 years now. About a month ago I realized that my spot was lifting so I decided to pull it off and replace it with a hole reinforcer. Was I surprised!

Notice the color difference between the circle left by the old spot and the cloth that surrounds the circle. My cloth color has faded rather significantly in ~2 years... but it's OK... I still like it. So for those of you who think that tournament blue is too bright/tiring on your eyes, read on.

The reason I attribute to the fading is the lights that I use. I have a 4-light bar over my table... and the lamps that I use are 23W spiral fluorescents... soft daylight, iirc... the lamps say the color temperature is 3500K. They do a great job... bright white, but not too bright as to be distracting.

Here's the pic...

Oh, if you get down near Arlington/Marysville/Everett area, send me a PM and we'll arrange for you to stop by and hit some balls together, OK?

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5750/p1030173a.jpg (http://img52.imageshack.us/i/p1030173a.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

lukemindish
06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Nothing is as sweet as tournament blue.

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow- I knew the UV from fluorescent lighting can cause fading but that is quite substantial, CigarDave. I would think they would add UV stabilizers to their dyes but maybe they adversely affect the playability (I doubt it)...

Also 'Dave- I honestly don't get down that way too often except usually to see my dentist in Lake Forest Park (had him since 1975) but I might just take up your offer some time, thank you very much.

I'm starting to feel like a politician with these color decisions- maybe I'll get tournament green... :D But one blue color I will not get is BP ocean blue, aka bunker fuel brown, even though it would blend in with the current surroundings better...

I think I'll spend a few more hours at the 'Fleece before I finalize my decision, even though I do like that color. The color contrast against the balls is indeed outstanding and does help to see the "edges" better.

At least the decision will be easier (MUCH!) if I throw aesthetics out the window.

onepocketron
06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Tourney blue hands down.

9bizzle
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a Diamond 9' in my basement with tournament blue cloth. I can tell you this, once you get the table in your basement, you will forget what the rest of the room looks like.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!!! I guess I would have to ask if you were to go into a pool hall and every table was a different color, which color would you pick to play on? Whatever your answer is, is the color your table should be.

rvan
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey all.
I like the blue on dark wood diamond tables, light diamond wood or valley's, merc champion, ultra green.
On old 9s, blue on gcs 1 or 2 with white sides and feet with a big room, Dark gc tables, green.
I think that Magoo's in Tulsa OK has it set pretty good!
Any table or color you want.

As long its not pink like pinks was, nice gcs 4 dark wood with pink carpet and black lights, the chicks where hot.

Thanks Rvan.

sde
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
At least the decision will be easier (MUCH!) if I throw aesthetics out the window.

If you are worried about the aesthetic get a cover that matches the room and keep the table covered while not in play. :yes:

Steve

Measle Ball
06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
If you are worried about the aesthetic get a cover that matches the room and keep the table covered while not in play. :yes:

Steve

Both you and Skess have a very good suggestion here, thank you for it. Personally, I'm not at all concerned about clashing colors but if/when I tie the knot with some gal it could become a factor. I'm just trying to plan ahead.

atthecat
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Green is my favorite.

gunzby
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
To be perfectly honest I would choose Simonis tournament blue regardless of what it would clash with in my house. Of the colors that I have played on that color and electric blue frame the edges of the balls best.

DogsPlayingPool
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Measle, if you are more than a casual player then you have to search your soul and ask yourself honestly if you will be happy with anything other than Tour Blue or Green. If not you will have regrets.

PoolDawg has heavy duty table covers in black, brown, tan and wine. The less expensive lighter weight ones come in blue, brown, green, gray, red and black.

Let us know what you decide.

softshot
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
As I am currently about 2.875 steps away from purchasing a Diamond nine-footer for my basement, one of the decisions I need to make is the color of the cloth. This isn't as easy as I first thought.

From an aesthetic point of view, the logical choice would be to choose a cloth color that is in harmony with the rest of the decor, in my case a warm tone such as gold would likely blend well (though I am somewhat color-blind so maybe not :)!). However, the traditional table colors are blue-green or Simonis green and I am quite biased to go this route even though such colors would clash with the remainder of the room in the basement.

To me, having a traditional cloth color which is easy on the eyes with respect to shooting pool, outweighs any "clash factor"; aesthetics are secondary.

So to make a long story short, I will ask this question: are aesthetics primary or secondary in your choice of cloth color for your table? I did not want to turn this into another ridiculous poll but rather I am trying not to be closed-minded in my decision making on this matter. A pool table is a rather large and even dominant home fixture, and if I were to marry I could see the cloth color as being a potential bone of contention (although everything I own prior to marriage falls under a grandfather clause).

Thank you in advance.

-Measly

JMO

Don't EVER make a cloth choice based on the room.. get a cover to match the room if the wife insists..

if you are playing pool properly you are looking at the table not the room decor..

for me my eyes don't like anything except green or tournament blue

I tried to play on leopard skin cloth once..I played on U of M maroon with a big gold M in the middle.. I've played on "camel".. and don't even get me started on RED...

make your pool table look like a pool table your eyes will thank you..

Measle Ball
06-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Measle, if you are more than a casual player then you have to search your soul and ask yourself honestly if you will be happy with anything other than Tour Blue or Green. If not you will have regrets.

PoolDawg has heavy duty table covers in black, brown, tan and wine. The less expensive lighter weight ones come in blue, brown, green, gray, red and black.

Let us know what you decide.

At this point I have permanently eliminated anything except blue or green, and am starting to lean slightly toward the tournament blue because of the advice given and my own experiences with it at the Golden Fleece. My main reason for asking whether decor was a factor for other folks in cloth color decision-making was simply to keep an open mind which is now much narrower for me; I tend to be quite strongly opinionated.

I would like to give traditional green a recent try before I make the final call but it is not to be found nearby- perhaps in B.C.-???

Again, thank you AZB family for all of your help with this.

pwd72s
06-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Green then blue is my choice. Any other color would be a felony. Red will probably earn you a death sentence here. :)

Look what happened to Bettie for using red cloth! :eek:

Measle Ball
06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
LOL the implement that is being used to discipline Bettie looks like a file card, used for cleaning files- OUCH!

jason
06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Pool began as a yard game similar to croquet, and it was eventually brought indoors during the winter months. The cloth is green to represent the color of grass. I think it should stay that way.

Personally, I love the esthetics of a table covered in colors other than green, but I really don't like playing on them. It just bugs the hell out of me. Chalk marks always show more on them too, even if your chalk is the same color as the felt.

I vote for green. :)

joelpope
06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Green 1st and then Tourney Blue..... don't even know why they make any others....

cigardave
06-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Pool began as a yard game similar to croquet, and it was eventually brought indoors during the winter months. The cloth is green to represent the color of grass. I think it should stay that way.

grass isn't always green... just sayin' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass) :rolleyes:

KingTuck
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I've always went with traditional green but on my next recovering the color choice will be tournament blue. Blue doesn't seem to show chalk marks and discoloration as fast as the green does. But you need to think long and hard because once you have it on you shouldn't need a recovering for several years so choose the right one the first time.

Caromsoft
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
If you are worried about the aesthetic get a cover that matches the room and keep the table covered while not in play

Steve

I have Tournament Blue on my table and then bought a clear table cover so I could see the blue even when not in play! :)

jason
06-26-2010, 11:36 AM
grass isn't always green... just sayin' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass) :rolleyes:

What color is the grass that you're smokin'? ...just sayin' ;)

DogsPlayingPool
06-26-2010, 11:51 AM
:)

Man, and I thought I was old school! :grin-square:

TX Poolnut
06-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Take some pics of the room your talking about and post them here. Let us see the interior of the room and you will get a better response about which color is best.

nathandumoulin
06-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I havent read all the post in this thread thus far, so what I'm about to say may have already been contributed.

That being said, the reason why traditional green cloth is losing popularity is because it does not reflect the light as well, which makes it hard on the eyes. This makes it very difficult to distinguish the edges of the 6ball and 8ball when they're against the cushion, in turn making it very tough for cut shots.

If you don't opt to go with Tournament Blue, be sure to consider some of the lighter alternatives. Tan/Sand, and Gray are good compromises if you need to color coordinate with the room.

jason
06-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I havent read all the post in this thread thus far, so what I'm about to say may have already been contributed.

That being said, the reason why traditional green cloth is losing popularity is because it does not reflect the light as well, which makes it hard on the eyes. This makes it very difficult to distinguish the edges of the 6ball and 8ball when they're against the cushion, in turn making it very tough for cut shots.

If you don't opt to go with Tournament Blue, be sure to consider some of the lighter alternatives. Tan/Sand, and Gray are good compromises if you need to color coordinate with the room.

Balls are all different colors. Some are easier to see on one color cloth and more difficult on others. If someone can't see a balls edge from only 4 feet away, they should get their eyes checked or turn on the lights.

I'm not drinking your cool-aid. :D

...but I will have a beer! :thumbup:

cigardave
06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I can't think of one object ball/color that I lose on my table.

sfleinen
06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I would go with the Tournament Blue; however, if esthetics are important, I would opt for tan. Don't do gold! I watched a match that had gold cloth and there were a few remarks that it was the worst possible color. Perhaps, changing your room decor to blueish tones would make Tournament Blue more palateable. Good luck with your decision. You'lll have to live with it for at least a couple of years.

not taking surrounding motif into account Blue & Green are the tops

because of my decor at home I had to consider and warmed to...

Steel Grey (sharp!!) & Wine (NOT RED!, deep burgundy color)

:thumbup:I like camel or tournament blue.

Folks:

Although I'll happily play on either green or blue, I echo the sentiments of folks that are warm to an earthy/woody color like tan or camel. If you've a nice wood motif in your recreation area (e.g. wood/paneled walls, bar, chairs, etc. made of wood -- and we're not even talking about the pool table itself yet, which is likely also a strong wood motif), those tan or camel colors look GREAT! The first time I played on a tan-cloth table, I was impressed at how clean it seemed to "stay." Plus, tan chalk doesn't seem to be as "messy" as blue/green chalk -- it seems to disappear on skin and on your cue shaft.

I've found that a strong tournament blue color, after many hours playing on it, makes me "snow blind." Those familiar with the term "snow blindness" will know what I'm talking about. After a while, that blue *really* jumps out; it appears to my eyes like I'm playing on a translucent table with a bright fluorescent light underneath, shining light "through" the slate. I start to lose sight of the edges of the balls after many hours of play on tournament blue. I walk away from the table squinting and rubbing my eyes.

I didn't have this problem on tan- or camel-color cloth, though. Personally, I think the next table I get will have tan- or camel-color cloth. I'm also thinking about Steel Gray as Beware_of_Dawg mentioned above -- and yes, I agree it's pretty sharp!

-Sean

ChazL
06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I think the next table I get will have tan- or camel-color cloth...
-Sean

Great minds think alike. I just had my table redone with Simonis camel and am very pleased with the look. Pics are in this thread. (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=192107)

Measle Ball
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Take some pics of the room your talking about and post them here. Let us see the interior of the room and you will get a better response about which color is best.

that will probably not happen for a while- my house is SOOOOOO full of stuff, including the future pool room, that I'd rather not post until the table is in, up and running. That's what can happen when you live alone in a large house like I do...

But when it is, then I will gladly post photos (maybe even in black-and-white, using some old stock film I have in my freezer!)-

leadfoot_mf
06-26-2010, 07:43 PM
For me traditional green was the only proper choice now playing on the tournament blue THAT is the choice i would make.

Rozel_GC
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Wow, wish I would have seen this thread before I had my table covered in July. I let the wife pick burgundy, and the table does look nice but there seems to be an anti red sentiment here. Any particular reason folks don't like it? I must admit, that tour blue sure does look nice from what I have seen of the pics here. That will most likely be my choice when I need (want) new felt.

http://www.swartzwelder.net/ppb/azb/poolt1.JPG

http://www.swartzwelder.net/ppb/azb/poolt2.JPG

Mike in MN
08-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, wish I would have seen this thread before I had my table covered in July. I let the wife pick burgundy, and the table does look nice but there seems to be an anti red sentiment here. Any particular reason folks don't like it? I must admit, that tour blue sure does look nice from what I have seen of the pics here. That will most likely be my choice when I need (want) new felt.

Mister, you can say that again! There were multiple pages devoted to bashing Hollywood Billiards when they recovered all of their tables in red.

I don't like it myself. I find it to be too dark, and it can be very difficult to distinguish edges of some of the darker balls (like the 3, 6, 7, or 8), especially near a rail, or from a distance.

Furthermore, it would take a court order to make me use red chalk, and it seems like blue chalk would stick out on red cloth like an erection in sweatpants.

Antfarm
08-19-2010, 01:18 PM
I've always been a big fan of the sand/camel colored Simmonis. There are a couple of reasons why I like it so much.

1. It is very subtle and soothing when shooting on it for long periods of time.
2. It hides dirt pretty well.
3. You have to start using the tan/brown colored chalk which has the added benifit of keeping your shafts a lot cleaner. Also, you don't get the blue stain on your ferrul. And, you don't get the blue scuff marks on your cue ball.

I like things to be neat and orderly and clean. If I can buy a product that helps me to do that, then why not make things easier on myself and do so.

2 cents worth.

Greg

Mike in MN
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I've always been a big fan of the sand/camel colored Simmonis. There are a couple of reasons why I like it so much.

1. It is very subtle and soothing when shooting on it for long periods of time.
2. It hides dirt pretty well.
3. You have to start using the tan/brown colored chalk which has the added benifit of keeping your shafts a lot cleaner. Also, you don't get the blue stain on your ferrul. And, you don't get the blue scuff marks on your cue ball.

I like things to be neat and orderly and clean. If I can buy a product that helps me to do that, then why not make things easier on myself and do so.

2 cents worth.

Greg

Why are you getting chalk on your ferrule? Have you been playing with Ace, aka Wong lately? :grin::rolleyes::rotflmao1:

Sorry, AzB inside joke.

Antfarm
08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't use blue chalk so I don't know... who is this wong fellow. Maybe we've crossed paths in a previous life.

Confucious say... man who fart in church sit in own pew.

Greg

Rozel_GC
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Why are you getting chalk on your ferrule? Have you been playing with Ace, aka Wong lately? :grin::rolleyes::rotflmao1:

Sorry, AzB inside joke.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=192788

That was a great thread. You know, every forum has a discussion like that. I was looking for some advice on finishing drywall, and I stumbled onto a thread in a dry-walling forum where they were discussing pan & knife -vs- hawk and Trowel. Guys on the Motorcycle forum (adv) will debate chain lube, motor oil, etc.

Every trade/hobby/passion has some simple argument that people will take to the death, and it is really fun to watch on the internet. :)

TATE
08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Mister, you can say that again! There were multiple pages devoted to bashing Hollywood Billiards when they recovered all of their tables in red.

I don't like it myself. I find it to be too dark, and it can be very difficult to distinguish edges of some of the darker balls (like the 3, 6, 7, or 8), especially near a rail, or from a distance.

Furthermore, it would take a court order to make me use red chalk, and it seems like blue chalk would stick out on red cloth like an erection in sweatpants.

So right!

The advantage of red chalk is that you no longer have to go out in the sun to look like you've been burnt, and your shaft looks like rhubarb if you like that look.

Maybe that's a small price to pay to have a happy wife!

Chris

sfleinen
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
[...] and your shaft looks like rhubarb if you like that look.

Maybe that's a small price to pay to have a happy wife!

Chris

Your shaft will look like rhubarb if you pick the wrong time of the month. But you're right -- small price to pay to make her happy!

;)

-Sean

PUTT4DACA$$H
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I picked the Simonis tournament blue and am thrilled with it. It brightens up the playing surface and looks good also. It's always been pool table green for me until now. I've never been a fan of the "other" colors.

Something to think about...if you're worried about the room look, get the table cover to match the surroundings. That way you get the playing surface you want, but the room looks good otherwise.

yeah, what he said!!!! + Make sure to get the diamond light kit also. maybe even add a couple of bulbs!!

TheOneGnat
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Thank God my wife shares the same passion for pool as me. We just got an GC I a couple months ago, and our mechanic looked at her and asked her what color Simonis. She looked at him and said, "Tournament blue of course! You mean they make it any other color? Why would they do that?".

jgpool
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Green, green, green. I'm just an old guy with a green felted table. :)

DogsPlayingPool
08-19-2010, 04:07 PM

The problem with HB going to the red cloth was that it was disappointing, not traditional for a pool hall. This plus the fact that they changed it without notification just before the Seminole tour event was played there. It is not the best choice from a playability standpoint because of the lower ability to see the edges of all the balls. But from a home table standpoint, get whatever you like and if it makes the wife happy it's a plus. The bigger problem at HB was not with the cloth color but rather with the requirement to use red chalk. That stuff is just nasty and almost every player complained about it at the Seminole. I don't blame them.

junkbond
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Guys on the Motorcycle forum (adv) will debate chain lube, motor oil, etc.
Valvoline Racing 60wt. What's to debate?

Rozel_GC
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Valvoline Racing 60wt. What's to debate?

That so it won't leak out of your Harley?:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

pocketpared
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Went from green 860 to tb 760. Not even close. The blue is (and was designed to be) easiest on your eyes. The balls also stand out much more clearly on the tb Simonis.

junkbond
08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
That so it won't leak out of your Harley?:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
Now that's not funny. That's not funny at all. Please smack yourself soundly. Thank you, that's better.

Measle Ball
08-20-2010, 05:54 AM
As it stands now I'm likely going to have Simonis 860 Tournament Blue cloth on the table. But just to be as objective as possible and practical, I would like to try shooting on green cloth- somewhere.

It may be a bit longer in actually purchasing the table now due to other family matters, unfortunately. I really WANT a Diamond nine-footer; they are tight and yet very fair IMO.

Georgia Boy
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
I have Blue at home and think it's the best looking by far, but everyone has their own favorite. However if you are having trouble chosing maybe going to the link below will mean you won't have to chose OMG :wink:

http://unclejerrystiedye.com/products/all/pool_01/index.html

Measle Ball
08-20-2010, 07:53 AM
That is one WILD-looking table! All one has to supply is their own window pane or blotter form of d-lysergic acid diethylamide-25.

Oh, I just remembered a local place where the tables do have green cloth (Park Bowl in Boilingham); maybe I'll spend another couple of hours there when I can afford the rates ($8.75/hour and the tables aren't that great)... actually I can afford it but it ain't worth going there regularly IMO-

realkingcobra
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

In your case...that's AGE buddy:p

realkingcobra
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Thank you in advance.

-Measly

I think a mans choice on what color of cloth to have installed on his pool table.......has a lot to do with how long he's been MARRIED:grin:

Rozel_GC
08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I have Blue at home and think it's the best looking by far, but everyone has their own favorite. However if you are having trouble chosing maybe going to the link below will mean you won't have to chose OMG :wink:

http://unclejerrystiedye.com/products/all/pool_01/index.html

http://unclejerrystiedye.com/products/all/pool_01/pic_06.jpg

Oh Man, I don't feel so bad about my burgundy felt now.:eek::eek