06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Who is currently IN THE MILITARY that loves pool. Gamble, tournaments etc..,

joe

Marie's husband
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM

joe

Joe,

I am in the Navy and really do love the game of pool. I have been stationed at Nas Whidbey Island Washington for the last 19 years. I do gamble a little bit, but not much. I travel a ton which allows me to visit some great pool halls within the US and outside the US but I rarely gamble when I am out of town due to me being by myself and its not a good idea.

Tournaments are not too often due to traveling all the time, when I am home I need to spend the time with the family.

Paul

playerhater
06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Cool, i am in the army 17 yrs. Just trying to hopefully get a bunch of us together on here. Maybe get enough to compete against each other. Like army versus navy or whatever.
Or just make some new friends.

Joe

Catch_A_Gear
06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Don't forget about us retired guys, we can still hit them pretty good too.

Marie's husband
06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Well since you have been in 17 years, do you remember Nicorette and Diamond Billiards putting on that world wide all military tournament back in 1997?

They had base qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then the finals in Miramar California. Nicorette paid for all the travel involved and gave out pretty good money for each tournament, best part, it was all free for active duty and you got orders for all your travel time.

There was only 16 people (4 from each branch of service) that qualified for the finals. Once there, they had each of us play against our branch of service and then the top player from each branch competed for the overall branging rights. The Marines ended up winning, Navy came in second, then Army, and of course,,,Air Force.

I would love to see someone do this again, since I am still active duty I am not permitted to go out and ask for sponsors, but maybe after I retire I may look into trying to set this up again.

Oh, I dont know what it is like on your base, but there is still a pool table in all the barracks and numerous tables in the clubs on base, but it seems like there are just no players anymore.

I think it would just be cool if we could get all the active duty players to go to the next BCAPL event since they are not requiring you to be a league player to enter. We all could enter the Advanced division, or what would be even more fun, if we all could go to DCC. I have never been to the DCC, but that is one place I will definitely make it too one of these days.

Oh yeah, we do need to include the retired guys,,,,even though they probably cant keep up anymore, we still have to invite them....just joking and I am sure that you retired guys can still hit them real good, probably a lot better than us youngins...

jay helfert
06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Joe,

I am in the Navy and really do love the game of pool. I have been stationed at Nas Whidbey Island Washington for the last 19 years. I do gamble a little bit, but not much. I travel a ton which allows me to visit some great pool halls within the US and outside the US but I rarely gamble when I am out of town due to me being by myself and its not a good idea.

Tournaments are not too often due to traveling all the time, when I am home I need to spend the time with the family.

Paul

Whidbey Island. Now that's a station! I can see why you've stayed there 19 years. A little piece of paradise.

Big_H515
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
nearly 6 years active army myself, currently on my second deployment to Iraq. Been stationed at Fr Lewis, Washington since July '05, gonna spend another 3 years there. Unless I can get branch to work with me heh.

ftgokie
06-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I think we should get a former and current military tournament started....id be willing to hit that tourney...

Maybe have a service specific tourney, have the King of that service play in the Battle of the Services Tourney and crown an overall King.....or Queen

Shawn

Marie's husband
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Jay,

Whidbey Island is amazing place to live and I do love it, but as a pool player, not a great place at all due to having no pool halls within 1 1/2 hour drive.

Big,

Ft Lewis is a great location for a pool player, you have some of the best pool halls in the PNW within a short drives and you have some great players in that are too. Also, if you can find a way to become a member, or just get invited to the Elks Club there in Tacoma, they have some 4 nice billiards tables and I do believe 6 nice brunswicks, and its all free for members.

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I was in the Air Force for 15 yrs. Played alot during my time.

Nostroke
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
There was a very good player named Ty Laha who was in the military. He got 13th at the US Open about 6-7 years ago. Haven't heard a word about him lately though.

NewStroke
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
There was a very good player named Ty Laha who was in the military. He got 13th at the US Open about 6-7 years ago. Haven't heard a word about him lately though.

He was my roommate, we killed him when he only placed 13. We expected better!

playerhater
06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Anybody within a few hrs of ft.knox that likes to gamble any. Joe

Marie's husband
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Was Ty Laha stationed in Damn Neck? I think I played him in the Navy portion of the finals of the all Military tournament in 1997 but Im not sure.

sgt_newton
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Active Duty AF here, currently at Osan AB, Korea. We have a LOT of pool players over here. There are over 100 bars within 10 minutes walking distance from the gate and 99% of them have a free pool table and participate in the local bar league.

Anyone else out there in the ROK?

Big_H515
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Cool, i am in the army 17 yrs. Just trying to hopefully get a bunch of us together on here. Maybe get enough to compete against each other. Like army versus navy or whatever.
Or just make some new friends.
Joe

I think this would be kinda cool. Do something like the Mosconi Cup but call it the Audie Murphy cup or something.

I think it would just be cool if we could get all the active duty players to go to the next BCAPL event since they are not requiring you to be a league player to enter. We all could enter the Advanced division, or what would be even more fun, if we all could go to DCC. I have never been to the DCC, but that is one place I will definitely make it too one of these days.

Once we redeploy, I will have about 50 use/lose days...so I am trying to get some plans in the works to attend the DCC next year and/or possibly SBE.

Ft Lewis is a great location for a pool player, you have some of the best pool halls in the PNW within a short drives and you have some great players in that are too. Also, if you can find a way to become a member, or just get invited to the Elks Club there in Tacoma, they have some 4 nice billiards tables and I do believe 6 nice brunswicks, and its all free for members.

Can't argue with that. Had the opportunity to play a more than a couple establishments over these last few years. Have not heard of the Elks Club, will have to make some Inquiries. Good lookin out.

Marie's husband
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I would have thought there would be a lot more than just 6 of us?

Big,

The Elks club hosted this years US Billiards Championship in Feb and I think they host it every year. I am not a Billiards player, but it was fun to go and watch the pro's play, really amazing to say the least. So if you are around during that timeframe, check it out. Also, I am sure that you already know about it, but onthebreaknews website is a great resource for whats happening in our area.

TX Poolnut
06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
How do you get stationed in the same place for 19 years? No sea duty? What rate are you?

If you don't feel like talking about your personal business, I respect that. I am just curious.

DTL
06-26-2010, 01:06 PM

DTL
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM

You were roommates with Laha?

Scott Lee
06-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Dan...Yikes, that's some pretty tough stakehorse action! :eek: :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Dagwoodz
06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Been in the Army for close to 12 years now, currently stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA, though I'm deployed to AFGH at the moment.

In regards to the tournament for military, I've talked to the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) and BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) reps for Ft. Gordon, who have a very good working relationship with the regional office working the entire southeast. I had something very similar in mind, using each post as a central hub to run their own qualifiers, up to regionals, then nationals. When I asked about it, MWR said that the military has a hard time hacking off on anything relating to pool officially because the leadership currently views the sport as one that glamorizes alcohol use. I called shennanigans on them, because they have military sponsored dart and bowling championships.

The one alibi they gave was that the tournament could happen, but that all the infrastructure for the tournament, and the people running the tournament would not be paid for by MWR, or the military. And prize money could not be awarded, since, even though it's a tournament, it would be considered "gambling"...along the same thread as running a poker tournament. Basically, they were very obtuse when I enquired about it. I was willing to do 99% of the leg work for them, I just needed the green light, which they weren't willing to give.

Now, with all that being said, that was for regional and national level tournaments. If a Base, Fort, or Station wanted to run its own championship tournament, internal, there isn't any problem with that. But the same prize money rule would be in effect from what I understand.

Unfortunately, what was pointed out earlier is very true. Due to my active duty status, I cannot actively go out and lobby for sponsors for something like this, as that would be the same as the military as a whole endorsing a specific product.

After all is said and done, if this ever happens, I would be happier than a pig in a fresh sty covered in mud.

Dags

Marie's husband
06-26-2010, 03:47 PM
How do you get stationed in the same place for 19 years? No sea duty? What rate are you?

If you don't feel like talking about your personal business, I respect that. I am just curious.

TX,

First thing first, I have done Sea Duty,,,5 Med and 3 Westpac cruises worth of Sea Duty so don't think I am one of those Sailors that never go out to sea. NAS Whidbey Island is an Air Station that has both sea and shore commands that are stationed on carriers on the east and west coast.

As for 19 years stationed at NAS Whidbey Island.

Well not to sound conceded, but I have been somewhat recruited for the last 15 years from different commands that are stationed up here.

As for my rate, I am an AME (Aircraft Structural Mechanic/Egress Environmental), but I haven't done that in about ten years and now its more management/leadership.

Oh, whats the best feeling in the world? When one of your old Shipmates tracks you down just to say "Thanks". Now that beats any award or any promotion anyone can give you because you know that you made a lasting impression on that persons life.

Marie's husband
06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Been in the Army for close to 12 years now, currently stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA, though I'm deployed to AFGH at the moment.

In regards to the tournament for military, I've talked to the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) and BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) reps for Ft. Gordon, who have a very good working relationship with the regional office working the entire southeast. I had something very similar in mind, using each post as a central hub to run their own qualifiers, up to regionals, then nationals. When I asked about it, MWR said that the military has a hard time hacking off on anything relating to pool officially because the leadership currently views the sport as one that glamorizes alcohol use. I called shennanigans on them, because they have military sponsored dart and bowling championships.

The one alibi they gave was that the tournament could happen, but that all the infrastructure for the tournament, and the people running the tournament would not be paid for by MWR, or the military. And prize money could not be awarded, since, even though it's a tournament, it would be considered "gambling"...along the same thread as running a poker tournament. Basically, they were very obtuse when I enquired about it. I was willing to do 99% of the leg work for them, I just needed the green light, which they weren't willing to give.

Now, with all that being said, that was for regional and national level tournaments. If a Base, Fort, or Station wanted to run its own championship tournament, internal, there isn't any problem with that. But the same prize money rule would be in effect from what I understand.

Unfortunately, what was pointed out earlier is very true. Due to my active duty status, I cannot actively go out and lobby for sponsors for something like this, as that would be the same as the military as a whole endorsing a specific product.

After all is said and done, if this ever happens, I would be happier than a pig in a fresh sty covered in mud.

Dags

I think what made the military buy off on the one in 1997 was because it was sponsored by Nicorette and the military was involved in a big no smoking campaign at the time.

What we had to do was run a request chit up our chain of command to participate in the base qualifier/regional/finals and have it approved prior to the base qualifier.
After I won the base qualifier, the command cut me no cost orders for the days of the regionals, and Nicorette gave me money for travel and lodging.
After I won the regionals, my command cut me no cost orders again to Miramar and I paid for my travel to Miramar and then Nicorette gave me another check to cover travel cost.

It did not cost the command any money and nor did it cost MWR a dime.
Reading through the no cost orders policy a few years later, I guess if you get sent to a tournament on no cost orders, you can not receive a cash prize.

As for your statement above about MWR and prize money being gambling,,,next time, ask them how they do golf tournaments then?

Another avenue for you to look at is, back when 1 800 collect was doing there big calling card sales to the military, they had an all Military tournament at a pool hall. It was a free entry also and they cut it off at 128 players and it filled up in a week. All they did was advertised it as an all military tournament in the base newspapers and they gave $1800 out to first place.
The reason why, if there is a pool hall local to you, may be a good Idea to put a bug in his ear....

lfigueroa
06-26-2010, 05:11 PM

joe

FWIW, we discussed part of this a couple of years ago:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=104036

Lou Figueroa

TX Poolnut
06-26-2010, 10:03 PM
TX,

First thing first, I have done Sea Duty,,,5 Med and 3 Westpac cruises worth of Sea Duty so don't think I am one of those Sailors that never go out to sea. NAS Whidbey Island is an Air Station that has both sea and shore commands that are stationed on carriers on the east and west coast.

Well not to sound conceded, but I have been somewhat recruited for the last 15 years from different commands that are stationed up here.

As for my rate, I am an AME (Aircraft Structural Mechanic/Egress Environmental), but I haven't done that in about ten years and now its more management/leadership.

Oh, whats the best feeling in the world? When one of your old Shipmates tracks you down just to say "Thanks". Now that beats any award or any promotion anyone can give you because you know that you made a lasting impression on that persons life.

I see now. In my time in the Navy, I had never met anyone stationed at the same place for that long. Clearly, you have earned your sea legs. :)

I hope my first post didn't come off as rude. As a former sailor, your statement about being in one place for 19 years just struck me as odd.

Thanks for your service to our country.

TX Poolnut
06-26-2010, 10:06 PM
By the way, Charlie Bryant served in the US Army. He has shown me several pictures of himself while in uniform. It was kinda strange to see a pro pool player in a military dress uniform.

Marie's husband
06-26-2010, 10:20 PM
TX,

Thinking more about the question of being at the same location for 19 years is pretty rare for the majority of Navy personnel, but since Whidbey Island is catered to a specific type of aircraft there are probably about 50 or so people that I know that have been here for at least 10 or more years.

Also, having sea legs definitely doesn't help out the pool game and thank you for the kinds words, but its been my pleasure to serve this fine country.

SOULHASSORROW
06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
im usaf stationed in montana!! been in for 3.5 years!!

Gutz
06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm over here in Area IV, Camp Carroll to be more precise. We dont have any league down here and not many good players either. I've been up to Osan a few times but never to play. I am headed to Ft. Bragg from here and cant wait to play there...

TX Poolnut
06-27-2010, 07:12 AM
If anyone has the chance to go to Souda Bay, Crete, Greece, make sure you check out their pool tables at the rec center. That was the only place I ever saw tables besides NOB Norfolk.

camargored
06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
The Dragon Club was the spot around 99 for action .There some strong players around there .I think Mr Lee (he's a interior designer ?)played strong

Active Duty AF here, currently at Osan AB, Korea. We have a LOT of pool players over here. There are over 100 bars within 10 minutes walking distance from the gate and 99% of them have a free pool table and participate in the local bar league.

poolplayer2093
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
TX,

you got that right. i remember senior marines cutting me breaks so i could do what young marines do. i tried to do the same when i got promoted.

i always liked being stationed with sailors. i did my first year+ on navy bases. in navy terms i worked out of work center 64c

poolplayer2093
06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
TX,

Thinking more about the question of being at the same location for 19 years is pretty rare for the majority of Navy personnel, but since Whidbey Island is catered to a specific type of aircraft there are probably about 50 or so people that I know that have been here for at least 10 or more years.

Also, having sea legs definitely doesn't help out the pool game and thank you for the kinds words, but its been my pleasure to serve this fine country.

the first time i ever really gambled was with a sailor. if you run into someone named koli that drinks captin and cola watch yourself.

Marie's husband
06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
poolplayer,

Where were you stationed at when you worked in 64C with Marines, and what time frame if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering because I had some Marine friends stationed in Beaufort SC, and Yuma AZ.

One day I am going to make it down to your area to play in the monthly one pocket/nine ball tournament at Hardtimes. It seems like Billy Palmer always wins it and I will be donating, but it looks like a really good time and a learning experience.

playerhater
06-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Live in E-town. I'm retired military. How much you like to play for?

I am pretty sure i know you. $ 100-300 sets of 9 ball. Do you where glasses? If yes, we have met before but did not talk very much.
I think you played LD (BANKER)at Diamonds on the east end of louisville.
LD has my phone number, give me a call and we can set something up.

SFC

poolplayer2093
06-28-2010, 07:19 AM
poolplayer,

Where were you stationed at when you worked in 64C with Marines, and what time frame if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering because I had some Marine friends stationed in Beaufort SC, and Yuma AZ.

One day I am going to make it down to your area to play in the monthly one pocket/nine ball tournament at Hardtimes. It seems like Billy Palmer always wins it and I will be donating, but it looks like a really good time and a learning experience.

my buddy cpl jacob was stationed at at your base. i was stationed in san diego and iwakuni japan. i spent some time at nas pensacola and nas oceana va.

shoot me a pm when yo make it down. i'll play you some 1 pocket for time or something. i can't get my head wrapped around that game

cajunfats
06-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Dags Dagwoodz, I read with great interest your optimism for pool tournaments and activities to take place at military installations.

In 1994-1995, while serving as the Assistant League and Program Director at the BCA in Iowa City, Iowa, I developed a BCA/MWR Pool League scenario that was sent to Army MWR HQ. During the mid-80's I was a Recreation Assistant for MWR in Germany, and have been Tournament Director for US Army and Air Force Europe Pocket Billiard Championships. During my active duty in the Army I was a regular at the Recreation Center playing pool every day after work.

When I started at the BCA, I knew that this would be the best vehicle to promote the Military League System with the backing of a legitimate non-profit entity for the benefit of service members. Taking into consideration the lifestyle of soldiers, the deployments and irregular schedules, a program with great independence was developed. Knowing the regulations the military has, and the bureaucracy involved, I labored over a year with the handbook, scoresheets, qualification criteria, and options for tournaments and championships.

Needless to say, the plan was met with the usual non-committal by the foot dragging career professionals at MWR. Concerns over budget changes in MWR Policy and Personnel were given. I sent league material and said they could copy and distribute at will throughout the MWR system and let Community Center Managers have the players provide feedback after a trial run. BCA Business Members were at the ready to help support a prize fund in lieu of cash for participants.

The failure of this program was my biggest disappointment while serving at the Billiard Congress.

Today, all of the material for this program sits in a box. It hasn't seen the light of day for 15 years. Perhaps it is an idea that could be reintroduced. As a former Service Member, MWR Employee, and lifelong Pool Enthusiast, I surely hope so.

Thanks to all the Men and Women of the Armed Forces.

Carl

sunnyday
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Well since you have been in 17 years, do you remember Nicorette and Diamond Billiards putting on that world wide all military tournament back in 1997?

They had base qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then the finals in Miramar California. Nicorette paid for all the travel involved and gave out pretty good money for each tournament, best part, it was all free for active duty and you got orders for all your travel time.

There was only 16 people (4 from each branch of service) that qualified for the finals. Once there, they had each of us play against our branch of service and then the top player from each branch competed for the overall branging rights. The Marines ended up winning, Navy came in second, then Army, and of course,,,Air Force.

I was actually stationed at the Miramar (Navy Air Station) at the time as lowly PSSN (PNSN) and that is where I was caught by the pool bug :) And - Yes, I watched the Military Challenge. I believe the Marine's name is Ray Roberts at the time stationed out of San Diego, I can't recall the name of base...

I wonder how he is doing lately :)

S.

sunnyday
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Oh yeah, we do need to include the retired guys,,,,even though they probably cant keep up anymore, we still have to invite them....just joking and I am sure that you retired guys can still hit them real good, probably a lot better than us youngins...

We at the CSI/ BCAPL appreciate all the hard work and sacrefice our Armed Forces Member endure in order to defend our freedom and World wide peace!!!

Marie's husband - I think it's a great idea for Armed Forces Get Together!

And I don't know how many ACDU can get the time off during 2011 BCAPL National but we would love to kick some ideas around for a small get together or Armed Forces Mini Tourney :) ** If time permitting.

I don't know if all of you are familiar with BCAPL National schedule, but it is usually so jammed packed most people don't get to do half the things they wanted to do in Vegas.

Everyone's match times are different throughout the day, trying to catch up with new & old friends, and along with the hype of Vegas, people often loose track of time and days:p

If you have an idea please email me AND Bill Stock at CSI/ BCAPL.

sunnyg@playcsipool.com
bill@playcsipool.com

S.

Marie's husband
06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I was actually stationed at the Miramar (Navy Air Station) at the time as lowly PSSN (PNSN) and that is where I was caught by the pool bug :) And - Yes, I watched the Military Challenge. I believe the Marine's name is Ray Roberts at the time stationed out of San Diego, I can't recall the name of base...

S.

I have a tape of it somewhere, Im going to have to dig it up and watch it again just to try and figure out who all was there.

Ray was his name and he could really play. After the finals were all done Ray took a few of us down to College Billiards, wow, a little bit shady, but a really great place. I do wonder what ever happened to him,,,his Marine buddy could play pretty good too.

poolplayer2093
06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I have a tape of it somewhere, Im going to have to dig it up and watch it again just to try and figure out who all was there.

Ray was his name and he could really play. After the finals were all done Ray took a few of us down to College Billiards, wow, a little bit shady, but a really great place. I do wonder what ever happened to him,,,his Marine buddy could play pretty good too.

college billiards is a great room imo. i spent more time at on cue though

poolplayer2093
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

S.

where'd you live while you were there? i was there for 3 years. they moved the mwr to the old chow hall/library. i hear it's real nice now. they had 5 new olhousen tables when i was on my way out

sunnyday
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Yes, Ray could play, there wasn't too many Cali folks jump up and play even with him at the time. Maybe a handful of elite players give him a small spot.

Pool community is a very small world, that College Billiards was the place to go in SD if you wanted to see real players and real action. When you visited, Mark Griffin, CEO/ CSI had owned that room :)

S.

Marie's husband
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, Ray could play, there wasn't too many Cali folks jump up and play even with him at the time. Maybe a handful of elite players give him a small spot.

Pool community is a very small world, that College Billiards was the place to go in SD if you wanted to see real players and real action. When you visited, Mark Griffin, CEO/ CSI had owned that room :)

S.

I went there maybe 4-5 years ago and it wasnt nearly what it used to be, I was pretty disappointed.

Did not know that Mark Griffin owned it at one time, I have never had the chance to actually meet him to just to tell him thanks for all that he is doing for the game, one day it will happen.

Oh, how did you do on Sunday, heard you talking about it when you were commentating from kolbys when your husband was on the live stream.

sunnyday
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I went there maybe 4-5 years ago and it wasnt nearly what it used to be, I was pretty disappointed.

Did not know that Mark Griffin owned it at one time, I have never had the chance to actually meet him to just to tell him thanks for all that he is doing for the game, one day it will happen.

Oh, how did you do on Sunday, heard you talking about it when you were commentating from kolbys when your husband was on the live stream.

Mark did ton of remodeling to College but he sold it at 2004 and purchased the BCAPL, so if you come to the Nationals, you can chat with him:)

I finished 5th, not as good as I intended but I get 'em next time :)
Thanks.

S.

sunnyday
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
where'd you live while you were there? i was there for 3 years. they moved the mwr to the old chow hall/library. i hear it's real nice now. they had 5 new olhousen tables when i was on my way out

I was there from 95-98, very long time ago, haha. I can't remember but I lived in a L - shaped barrack. I'm pretty sure things haven't changed much though :)

S.

hang-the-9
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM

joe

I'm cheating, I'm not currently IN, but one of my favorite stories happened during advanced training in Ft. Meade. There was a pool table in the barracks, one of the games I played the opponent stated that I only won because "I was shooting at easy shots the whole time" and he had all these tough ones. Playing shape was not a word known in them there parts :)

Dagwoodz
06-29-2010, 05:22 AM
Dagwoodz, I read with great interest your optimism for pool tournaments and activities to take place at military installations.

In 1994-1995, while serving as the Assistant League and Program Director at the BCA in Iowa City, Iowa, I developed a BCA/MWR Pool League scenario that was sent to Army MWR HQ. During the mid-80's I was a Recreation Assistant for MWR in Germany, and have been Tournament Director for US Army and Air Force Europe Pocket Billiard Championships. During my active duty in the Army I was a regular at the Recreation Center playing pool every day after work.

When I started at the BCA, I knew that this would be the best vehicle to promote the Military League System with the backing of a legitimate non-profit entity for the benefit of service members. Taking into consideration the lifestyle of soldiers, the deployments and irregular schedules, a program with great independence was developed. Knowing the regulations the military has, and the bureaucracy involved, I labored over a year with the handbook, scoresheets, qualification criteria, and options for tournaments and championships.

Needless to say, the plan was met with the usual non-committal by the foot dragging career professionals at MWR. Concerns over budget changes in MWR Policy and Personnel were given. I sent league material and said they could copy and distribute at will throughout the MWR system and let Community Center Managers have the players provide feedback after a trial run. BCA Business Members were at the ready to help support a prize fund in lieu of cash for participants.

The failure of this program was my biggest disappointment while serving at the Billiard Congress.

Today, all of the material for this program sits in a box. It hasn't seen the light of day for 15 years. Perhaps it is an idea that could be reintroduced. As a former Service Member, MWR Employee, and lifelong Pool Enthusiast, I surely hope so.

Thanks to all the Men and Women of the Armed Forces.

Carl

We at the CSI/ BCAPL appreciate all the hard work and sacrefice our Armed Forces Member endure in order to defend our freedom and World wide peace!!!

Marie's husband - I think it's a great idea for Armed Forces Get Together!

And I don't know how many ACDU can get the time off during 2011 BCAPL National but we would love to kick some ideas around for a small get together or Armed Forces Mini Tourney :) ** If time permitting.

I don't know if all of you are familiar with BCAPL National schedule, but it is usually so jammed packed most people don't get to do half the things they wanted to do in Vegas.

Everyone's match times are different throughout the day, trying to catch up with new & old friends, and along with the hype of Vegas, people often loose track of time and days:p

If you have an idea please email me AND Bill Stock at CSI/ BCAPL.

sunnyg@playcsipool.com
bill@playcsipool.com

S.

I know that CSI has many commitments throughout the year, but they might be able to succeed where the old BCA structure could not. When I return from deployment I can re-engage this with the MWR representatives at Ft. Gordon, who hopefully have not changed since I've deployed, and see if there has been any change in policy or the outlook of pool and billiards within the military.

For the interim however, I think that a smaller, "one shot, one kill" tournament for military personnel at the BCAPL Natonals would be a great idea.

Sunny, I'm going to be in Vegas for a weekend in the very beginning of August. If it's possible, I'd love to speak with you and Mark about the possibilities with this, and maybe the development of something further.

SSG Joshua Johnson
"Dagwoodz"

sunnyday
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I know that CSI has many commitments throughout the year, but they might be able to succeed where the old BCA structure could not. When I return from deployment I can re-engage this with the MWR representatives at Ft. Gordon, who hopefully have not changed since I've deployed, and see if there has been any change in policy or the outlook of pool and billiards within the military.

For the interim however, I think that a smaller, "one shot, one kill" tournament for military personnel at the BCAPL Natonals would be a great idea.

Sunny, I'm going to be in Vegas for a weekend in the very beginning of August. If it's possible, I'd love to speak with you and Mark about the possibilities with this, and maybe the development of something further.

SSG Joshua Johnson
"Dagwoodz"

Dagwoodz,

We would love to chat and kick some ideas around. Feel free to email or call me.

S.

Rack'emBilliard
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I am not military but a lot of my family is and was in various branches of the military, so we have a special that we do for all active military, police, fire and emt/parmedic. If they show their valid military (etc) id at the front counter they get free pool time! Of course wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends and anyone non military that comes in with them has to pay table time, but it is the least we can do for those that protect our country right!!

poolplayer2093
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I was there from 95-98, very long time ago, haha. I can't remember but I lived in a L - shaped barrack. I'm pretty sure things haven't changed much though :)

S.

That's 5698. it's the crappy one that almost never has hot water,lol. the only thing that's changed is they've gotten rid of the decent furniture and downgraded to real cheap furniture.

you spend a lot of time at the station(the filling station ,bar)?

poolplayer2093
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
I am not military but a lot of my family is and was in various branches of the military, so we have a special that we do for all active military, police, fire and emt/parmedic. If they show their valid military (etc) id at the front counter they get free pool time! Of course wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends and anyone non military that comes in with them has to pay table time, but it is the least we can do for those that protect our country right!!

wow that's cool of you. i'm used to seeing businesses trying to screw over guys in the military

Q-MasterRat
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I retired in 2004, did my whole career in the Norfolk area. I know Ty Laha very well, a great player and Gambler, he lives in KY now with his wife and son, saw him at the DCC two years ago, played him some one pocket, broke even..I was getting 9-7, he still plays pretty sporty. I think he was at Dam neck during that time period. I have been going to Q-Masters in Norfolk and now in Va. Beach for 25+ years and before that Gibbs billiards on Witchduck road, Gibbs has been gone for a long time. Great area for pool, Q-masters now has over 70 tables, and the proprioter, founder and host of the US Open 9 Ball Championships, Barry Berhman is a close friend. He treats the military very well. Tuesday all military play free Active and retired. This is the best room on the east coast and possibly the country. Just sayin!! Stop in I'm sure you could get played!!

The Sailor

Marie's husband
06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
I retired in 2004, did my whole career in the Norfolk area. I know Ty Laha very well, a great player and Gambler, he lives in KY now with his wife and son, saw him at the DCC two years ago, played him some one pocket, broke even..I was getting 9-7, he still plays pretty sporty. I think he was at Dam neck during that time period. I have been going to Q-Masters in Norfolk and now in Va. Beach for 25+ years and before that Gibbs billiards on Witchduck road, Gibbs has been gone for a long time. Great area for pool, Q-masters now has over 70 tables, and the proprioter, founder and host of the US Open 9 Ball Championships, Barry Berhman is a close friend. He treats the military very well. Tuesday all military play free Active and retired. This is the best room on the east coast and possibly the country. Just sayin!! Stop in I'm sure you could get played!!

The Sailor

hmmm, trying to figure out who this is because I'm sure I had to run into you in May?

I spent a couple of weeks there in May and had a great time, and yes, they do take care of the military. The regular price is pretty cheap anyways without taking advantage of all there specials. I think it was like $4-5 an hour.

Thanks
Paul

tonyboy59
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Greeting to one and all...present, past and retired military members.

I retired from active duty in June 04 (USAF) based out of the DC area. Picked up the game in the early 90's from a guy who was the Air Force Champ at one time (Russ Trudeau)...He would play me a buck a game or a beer a game. Needless to say the dollar bills and beers added up but I learned thanks to that guy.

I've played and won my share of base tournaments and the rules of having money as a prize has changed over the years to the point now that you cannot do it. So what we would do is collect money on the side (on the sly) and payout to first and second place. Usually five bucks a head...you didn't get rich but it made it more competitive. MWR usually supplied the trophies and plaques.

Always had a good time with the other services...good memories as well!

emptypockets
06-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey Paul! It was great to meet you when you were here in May. I heard a rumor that you went back West with an extra cue in hand. :thumbup: Cheers, Sailor Dave.

hmmm, trying to figure out who this is because I'm sure I had to run into you in May?

I spent a couple of weeks there in May and had a great time, and yes, they do take care of the military. The regular price is pretty cheap anyways without taking advantage of all there specials. I think it was like $4-5 an hour.

Thanks
Paul

JB Cases
06-30-2010, 08:40 AM
I was Air Force stationed in Germany. Got out in 91. While I was there the best players around that I knew off were Chin Chance and Ron Gisel. Anyone remember them? For tournaments there were a few Army events - I played in one 14.1 event that was sending the winner to a higher level - took third place in that one.

I was never into the military pool scene though. Luckily for me we had a nice Brunswick in the basement of the barracks that no one played on but me. That's where I ran my high run of 98 balls.

Kickin' Chicken
06-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I would like to be counted in if a tourney could be put together for past & present military men and women.

I am a former 4th Infantry Division, Army man. Was fortunate to take part in and actually won the one and only military tourney I ever competed in. It was a brigade 8-ball tourney held at Wiesbaden Air Base in Germany, 1977. There didn't seem to be much red tape back then, however, I was playing, not involved in organizing the event.

Hoping some progress can be made on setting something up as I would sure enjoy getting together with and playing some talented military pool players. You know, the Army guys and gals.... :D

Best,
Brian kc :duck:

Marie's husband
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I would like to be counted in if a tourney could be put together for past & present military men and women.

I am a former 4th Infantry Division, Army man. Was fortunate to take part in and actually won the one and only military tourney I ever competed in. It was a brigade 8-ball tourney held at Wiesbaden Air Base in Germany, 1977. There didn't seem to be much red tape back then, however, I was playing, not involved in organizing the event.

Hoping some progress can be made on setting something up as I would sure enjoy getting together with and playing some talented military pool players. You know, the Army guys and gals.... :D

Best,
Brian kc :duck:

Brian,

I agree with you on having an event that includes anyone that has served in the military. Requirements would be anyone with a current military ID or anyone with DD form 214 showing honorable discharge which proves they have been in the military to be able to play.

I bet there would be some great stories of the old days if we were to actually have a tournament like that,,,,,I'm tired of hearing the same old story about the drunkin Sailor taking all the talented Army guys money...lol.

Paul,

Underclocked
06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I was that drunken sailor. :grin:

14-1StraightMan
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Brian,

I agree with you on having an event that includes anyone that has served in the military. Requirements would be anyone with a current military ID or anyone with DD form 214 showing honorable discharge which proves they have been in the military to be able to play.

I bet there would be some great stories of the old days if we were to actually have a tournament like that,,,,,I'm tired of hearing the same old story about the drunkin Sailor taking all the talented Army guys money...lol.

Paul,

Count me in on a tournament if one ever comes up. Hopefully it will be 8-ball and not 9-ball.
Ex-Army & proud of it.
Mike G.

renard
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I retired after 20 in the Navy and Navy Reserves in 2003. I know a man in the Army right now that's a 74D that plays pretty damn good...I think he would win it all in this collective!

cajunfats
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Best,
Brian kc :duck: Brian, I played in the 18th Engineer Brigade/USMCA Karlsruhe tournament the same year. I had just gotten back from TDY to find out the tournament was that weekend. IIrc, there was this Black E-8, we just called him Sarge that won our local. I think he was from 501st Ordinance on our Kaserne.

This could be fun.

cajunfats
06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I was Air Force stationed in Germany. Got out in 91. While I was there the best players around that I knew off were Chin Chance and Ron Gisel. Anyone remember them? For tournaments there were a few Army events - I played in one 14.1 event that was sending the winner to a higher level - took third place in that one.

I was never into the military pool scene though. Luckily for me we had a nice Brunswick in the basement of the barracks that no one played on but me. That's where I ran my high run of 98 balls. John, I knew Chance. He played in the 14.1 Championships I directed in 1986 and 87. He used to also match up with Oliver Ortmann in some bodacious action. I watched him bust Oliver for 1500 Deutsche Marks one evening in 9 Ball. Not sure if I knew Ron, doesn't ring a bell.

You're gonna make me dig out some old stuff just to check names!!:o

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Brian,

Paul,

whups;;;;;;;;;;;;;

easy-e
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Any of you guys cops in the military???

:D j/k

Marie's husband
06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
When i was in Qatar i saw some army guy robbing his fellow soldiers. he made 2 -300 when i watched. i ended up playing some 50 a game 8 ball with some civilian.

Poolplayer,

I really wasn't looking for stories, it was more of a sarcastic comeback to what the Kicken Chicken said in his post earlier about "how he wanted to play with talented pool players, you know, Army players". Referring to the only talented players in the military are in the Army. We were just poking a little bit of fun.....

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Poolplayer,

I really wasn't looking for stories, it was more of a sarcastic comeback to what the Kicken Chicken said in his post earlier about "how he wanted to play with talented pool players, you know, Army players". Referring to the only talented players in the military are in the Army. We were just poking a little bit of fun.....

whups over my head there. edit your quote and i'll edit my post

sorry didn't want to ruin the mood

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Any of you guys cops in the military???

:D j/k

MP's are actually surprisingly cool. just don't mess with em and they'll leave you alone

Marie's husband
06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
poolplayer,

Its all good, It was just a little smack talk between Army and Navy,,,its all in fun and no real reason to edit.

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
poolplayer,

Its all good, It was just a little smack talk between Army and Navy,,,its all in fun and no real reason to edit.

most talented players i ever met were in the navy. if my opinion counts for anything. i can't play a lick

Marie's husband
06-30-2010, 09:34 PM
most talented players i ever met were in the navy. if my opinion counts for anything. i can't play a lick

Man, this really hurts to give credit to a Marine, but I have to give credit where credit is due and say that the most talented active duty player I have ever met over my 20 year career starting in 1990 was a Marine named Ray Roberts. I met him in 1997 in San Diego and he won the National All Military Tournament, man he could play.

As a group if it was like a Mosconi style event, I really think the Navy would prevail.

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Man, this really hurts to give credit to a Marine, but I have to give credit where credit is due and say that the most talented active duty player I have ever met over my 20 year career starting in 1990 was a Marine named Ray Roberts. I met him in 1997 in San Diego and he won the National All Military Tournament, man he could play.

As a group if it was like a Mosconi style event, I really think the Navy would prevail.

a good friend of mine named takashi told me that there was some marine officer (Lt type) that used to be stationed in iwakuni japan. he said he shot short stop speed.

my buddy jeff frigon used to play pretty sporty. anyone from NY heard of him? he said his family owned a pool room and before he joined he won a respectable sized tournament there. another friend of mine was named Theo (don't know his last name) and he played decent. they were both marines that showed me the basics.

Big_H515
06-30-2010, 09:42 PM

It doesn't :wink:

GO ARMY! Better yet.... Go SF

Me 18 series you ask? No, just a middle aged (32) 11b, with high aspirations

poolplayer2093
06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
It doesn't :wink:

GO ARMY! Better yet.... Go SF

Me 18 series you ask? No, just a middle aged (32) 11b, with high aspirations

SF? they spend too much time in the field to get in stroke. they got the 8 and the breaks if they come through,lol.

but really it's the clerks you gotta watch out for! or sailors with a sea shore rotation that favors the shore

Q-MasterRat
07-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks
Paul

Paul, I don't think you know me, I wasn't there in May, I've been at sea since May02 sorry. Yes $5 an hour probably the cheapest around and the best equipment to play on, Barry takes care of his players too, glad you had a good time.

Darryl the Sailor

downtown
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
This is a great thread. I am active duty Navy, 23 years. Been stationed all over and egtting ready to xfer back to west coast. Would love to be part of a military tourny. Will stay abreast, and definetly do what I can to be a part of getting this going.

CarlB
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Years Active Duty Army here. I am currently in Kabul, Afghan if anyone wants any action over here. let me know.

Played Pool in Baltimore, MD.
Fort Hood, Houston, Dallas, Waco, TX
Tucson, Phoenix, Sierra Vista, AZ
Victorville, Los Angeles, CA
Baghdad, Iraq
Kabul, Afghanistan

JB Cases
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Could that have been Robert Ray instead? There is a Robert Ray who I think was a Marine who now owns a pool room in North Carolina. This Robert Ray plays pretty sporty and did well at the US Open one year if I remember right.

lfigueroa
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Could that have been Robert Ray instead? There is a Robert Ray who I think was a Marine who now owns a pool room in North Carolina. This Robert Ray plays pretty sporty and did well at the US Open one year if I remember right.

oh, for the love of Christ. I thought you were tanned.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Lou Figueroa
who won the
over/under
on this?

Marie's husband
07-01-2010, 07:49 PM

My fault, I had to go back and watch the tape again, and it was Cpl Robert Ray and he played Ens Duke Laha in the finals.

So what place does he own in North Carolina?

JB Cases
07-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Lou Figueroa

Good Bye Lou.

Marie's husband
07-01-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Years Active Duty Army here. I am currently in Kabul, Afghan if anyone wants any action over here. let me know.

Played Pool in Baltimore, MD.
Fort Hood, Houston, Dallas, Waco, TX
Tucson, Phoenix, Sierra Vista, AZ
Victorville, Los Angeles, CA
Baghdad, Iraq
Kabul, Afghanistan

I saw your other post about needing things for the pool room and it looks like you are getting a lot of support from a lot of members here which is great. Sometimes it takes a couple of months to get things on the ship and hope its not like that for you. But if they are,I just read and article about how the APA revamped Bagrams pool tables and gave them a ton of supplies in the beginning of June. Just a thought if you really needed something I bet someone could pick up the basics from them, or have them sent over on the next run from Bagram to Kabul.

JB Cases
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
My fault, I had to go back and watch the tape again, and it was Cpl Robert Ray and he played Ens Duke Laha in the finals.

So what place does he own in North Carolina?

I don't remember, I will ask Steve Jennings. I haven't been there. Robert did buy an existing room and renamed it I think.

rburgoyne
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't remember, I will ask Steve Jennings. I haven't been there. Robert did buy an existing room and renamed it I think.

He had a room called "Play to Win" which closed down a few years back, and then he had a second place called "All Star Billiards" (formerly "Oliver's Billiards"), which I believe may be closed down as well.

I haven't seen him in a couple of years, but he is a former Marine and yes he plays very well.

SOULHASSORROW
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Navy porbably have the best players because they have the most filipinos LOL. im airforce,but i havent met to many players that are active duty.

RBLilly
07-02-2010, 06:50 AM

I was in Korea too, and there may be a lot of pool players over there, but most of them are bangers!

I took a lot of people's money, and booze in Osan when I would visit from Casey! LOL

RBLilly
07-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Navy porbably have the best players because they have the most filipinos LOL. im airforce,but i havent met to many players that are active duty.

Well I was in 4 years, and I am currently in a town that is Navy. Personally I didn't meet many Navy guys that shot very well (No offense intended.) I personally found that the most challenging were Army.

I figured Marines and Navy spent too much time on a boat so their sea legs prevented them from playing very good! LOL

Really though if there was a tournament on every post in the world and the top players wound up playing in the all military tournament my bet would be on the Army, because they have the most people out of all the branches so that would mean to me that they have more people to choose from.

Plus the Army is normally not on a ship so they do actually have time to play a lot. Heck every barracks I was ever in had a pool table.

I would have thought the Air Force had a lot of good players just because they are the most laid back of the branches, but I didn't find too many Air Force guys that could shoot that well either.

Most challenges I found in my 4 years came from Army peeps! And there were quite a few Army women that could shoot too!