PDA

View Full Version : ***Legends of the Road from P&B magazine***

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 10:00 AM
-----------------------------------------------

Official update is that a book is in the future and what a great book it should be !!!
I was so intregued by these articles I saved them and put them carefully in plastic evelopes to fit it bookbinder.
My efforts to share them with the forum was spurnned by requests. Most recently the George Rood story

TYVM to everyone for the feedback and advice. And thank you Jerry for your kind words with the official annoucement of the publication coming in the future.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2483863#post2483863

jay helfert
06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
First up in my blog is George Rood.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/blog.php?b=314&goto=prev

I have got my camera working and i can take photo's of the pages.
Then get them into a blog post for everyones enjoyment.

A while back someone asked for G. Rood so here it is !

I have many more and will continue to get them in there as good
as my camera will allow me. Time permitting also.

Cornbread Red
Hubert Cokes
Weenie Beenie
Eddie Kelly
Rags Fitzpatrick
Cleo Vaughn
Snooker Sammy
Bud Hypes
Johnny Irish
Connecticut Johnny
Peter Rabbit
Don Willis
Earl Heisler
Glenn Womack
Charles Cacciapaglia
Howard Barrett
Eddie Taylor
Norm Weber
Marvin Henderson
Junior Goff
Bananas Rodriguez

Are all the ones I saved from Pool and Billiard Magazine.
Written all by Thomas C. Shaw

Enjoy !

I saw all these guys play except Earl H., Rags and Bud Hypes. Kelly and Henderson had the sweetest strokes, Sammy and Cornbread the most powerful strokes, Beenie and Cleo the most gamble and Willis was the best hustler. From what I heard Rags may have been the best of the bunch. No one could beat him!

hang-the-9
06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks, got some lunch reading material now. You may want to scan these and convert to an image, the pictures make things a bit tough to read. If there are no copyright issues, if you want to send me the issues, I can scan em, make .pdf files of the stories and send them back so you can put them up. PM me and we can arrange stuff if you are interested.

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
--------------------------------------

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
------------------------------------

Johnnyt
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Thank you for this history of these great players Z. I had no problems reading it at all. I just zoomed to 200 and read away. Looking forward to the rest of them. Johnnyt

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
-------------------------------

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
---------------------------------

hang-the-9
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I had probs trying it that way as the size of pdf was to big i guess.

This way it is easier for me. All you gotta do is zoom in the page.

So, be the zoom !

And ty for offering your help.

I will try to get the best of images from my camera so that the zoom effect is very compatible to read. I did have to retake one of the pictures as it was not good enough to read.

I was able to read it no issues even at the regular size, just had to sit closer to the monitor. To get size on the PDFs down, scan in Black and White mode, or maybe Grayscale, although you may have an issue with the text over color parts. The size of the files should be 1/10th of color ones, maybe less.

Scott Lee
06-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Great job Gary! This will be enjoyed by a LOT of readers here. BTW, there is also a "Legends of the Road" article on Jack White that Tom Shaw wrote too. If you don't have it, I can send it to you, to post here. I think this thread will be around for awhile! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
----------------------------------

Scott Lee
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Gary...I believe you missed posting the last page of the Rood article (there's another page after the one with his home table). Just a suggestion...if you take the pages out of the plastic before you photograph them, there will be no glare, and they'll be easier to read.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
-------------------------------------

Rich R.
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks, got some lunch reading material now. You may want to scan these and convert to an image, the pictures make things a bit tough to read. If there are no copyright issues, if you want to send me the issues, I can scan em, make .pdf files of the stories and send them back so you can put them up. PM me and we can arrange stuff if you are interested.

I'm no attorney, but I think reproducing copyrighted material without permission brings up a ton of legal issues. That is the reason for having copyrights. I don't know if anyone at the magazine wants to spend the time and money to pursue these issues, but it could be very expensive for Oldzilla and anyone else reproducing this stuff if they do.

oldzilla
06-25-2010, 06:41 PM
-------------------------------

Bob Jewett
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
First of all it is not being reproduced it is the articles right from the magazine. So it is like if I showed my neighbor a copy of my magazine to see these articles. I do not take credit for writing or publishing. I stated where and from who they come from. If I am asked to take them down I will comply promptly. I also tried to explained they are from older issues and should be saved as they have historic value to the pool public.

But thanks for your concerns. Zilla
It's not like showing a copy to your neighbor. It is violation of the copyright. However, I think Tom Shaw has no problem with putting his articles on-line. You owe him the courtesy of at least asking.

I asked Tom about the George Rood article during a previous discussion of George, and he said I could post it. Here it is in fairly compressed PDF format (http://www.sfbilliards.com/George_Rood_LotR.pdf) (1.8MBytes).

Scott Lee
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Bob...I agree with you, that Tom would likely have no problem with posting his articles here. They would get the articles seen by a lot of folks who didn't have the opportunity to read them when they were published. I see that he has deleted the other articles, but I hope he emails Tom Shaw for permission, and reposts them. Oldzilla can easily contact Tom at tom@poolmag.com. Thanks for providing that PDF version. It was easy to read, and as I noted to zilla, contained the missing last page of the article! :thumbup: See you in Vegas!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

It's not like showing a copy to your neighbor. It is violation of the copyright. However, I think Tom Shaw has no problem with putting his articles on-line. You owe him the courtesy of at least asking.

I asked Tom about the George Rood article during a previous discussion of George, and he said I could post it. Here it is in fairly compressed PDF format (http://www.sfbilliards.com/George_Rood_LotR.pdf) (1.8MBytes).

Jerry Forsyth
06-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Mr. Zilla, upon learning that Tom Shaw is planning a book made from the Legends articles, has very politely removed the post. I, for one, cannot wait to get my hands on that book. I think it will be one of the best reads our game has ever seen.

I truly do appreciate the cooperation from Oldzilla. Those of you who know him know that he is truly on of the good guys of our game and he does a lot to promote streams and anything else he can that might shine a little light on our sport. Thanks again, Zilla.

Johnnyt
06-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Zilla=Class Act. Let's just call it a trailer for the book when it comes out. I for one will buy it and wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for this post. When is it due out? Johnnyt

Scott Lee
06-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Johnnyt...The article that mentioned Tom Shaw's book, said it was to come out the following year...that was 1999. I'm guessing something prevented Tom from publishing the book, as I have no recollection of ever seeing or hearing about it. I'm going to ask him in person, when I see him at the trade show in 3 weeks.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Zilla=Class Act. Let's just call it a trailer for the book when it comes out. I for one will buy it and wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for this post. When is it due out? Johnnyt

Johnnyt
06-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Johnnyt...The article that mentioned Tom Shaw's book, said it was to come out the following year...that was 1999. I'm guessing something prevented Tom from publishing the book, as I have no recollection of ever seeing or hearing about it. I'm going to ask him in person, when I see him at the trade show in 3 weeks.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thank you Scott, I missed that part. Johnnyt

oldzilla
06-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

maybe it has to do with collecting the rights to publish various stories.
Dealing with many for one book could be a long affair.

but i hope all this inspires his efforts in a good way do get it done asap !

Scott Lee
06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Gary...I doubt that it would be that. He got those rights when he originally published the stories in P&B years ago. There has to be some other issue, but I'm gonna find out what. Those articles were, imo, one of the best parts of that pool mag, and I looked forward to reading every one, as they came out (as I'm sure you did too)!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

maybe it has to do with collecting the rights to publish various stories.
Dealing with many for one book could be a long affair.

but i hope all this inspires his efforts in a good way do get it done asap !

gulfportdoc
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Gary...I doubt that it would be that. He got those rights when he originally published the stories in P&B years ago. There has to be some other issue, but I'm gonna find out what. Those articles were, imo, one of the best parts of that pool mag, and I looked forward to reading every one, as they came out (as I'm sure you did too)!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Scott, has there been any update on Shaw's book? I'd love to have every one of those "Legends" articles. What's the latest?

Doc

Scott Lee
09-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Doc...Tom Shaw was not at the BCA Expo last July, so I was unable to ask him about the book. You could certainly contact him personally at Pool & Billiard Magazine (www.poolmag.com).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

book collector
09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Copyright Laws can be a nightmare to understand, they have changed many times in the last 80 years and the only person I would trust with the correct answer would be a copyright lawyer with lots of experience. some were 50 years plus life of original owner, some can be renewed by heirs, etc etc lots of vague areas for the layers to work around in
at this point in time you do not even have to put a copyright on your work, you have x amount of years to file for one and if someone copies your work and uses it, all they have to do is prove they originated it and you lose. I think the fine was up to $50,000.00 per copy 15 or 20 years ago when I was researching. Some countries do not abide by copyright laws. As I stated in another post single copys made for personal use would probably never cause a lawsuit but if you make copies public or sell them you can be sued and once they show they own the material you lose. No maybe, no sort of ... you lose.
I typed this to help people and I know what usually happens when I do that.

gulfportdoc
09-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Doc...Tom Shaw was not at the BCA Expo last July, so I was unable to ask him about the book. You could certainly contact him personally at Pool & Billiard Magazine (www.poolmag.com).

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll contact Tom at that address.

Doc

Scott Lee
09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Doc...His direct address is in post #17. Tell him hi from me. He did a nice "Legends" article on Jack White, mentioning me too! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll contact Tom at that address.

Doc

OKAYLETSPLAY
09-26-2010, 12:46 PM
kool thread.

Black-Balled
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I still want to read those articles!:embarrassed2: