PDA

View Full Version : Live streaming from France -- Pool and Carom

Bob Jewett
06-26-2010, 08:09 AM
The Kozoom site is live streaming the French National Championships. Apparently this is in all carom and pool disciplines. Right now the Women's 8 ball and the Men's 47/1 balkline are in progress.

It would be nice if the US could organize national championships other than for Juniors.

They are using computer monitors for scoring at each table. They show both the score and the shot clock (as a color-coded progress bar). During breaks, the time taken counts down on the monitor.

A frequent question here is "why has the US lost its lead in pool." I think some of the answers are visible here:

French Championships -- Pool (http://championnatsdefranceregroupes.kozoom.com/weblive_us.html)

French Championships -- Carom (http://championnatsdefranceregroupes.kozoom.com/weblive_fr.html)

oldzilla
06-26-2010, 08:17 AM
True Bob i'm very impressed from watching all week. The many disaplins all brought together under one roof (that didnt blow away,lol) is a tribute to their outlook on the sport in France.

markatwork
06-26-2010, 08:24 AM
i have been watching all week also and the quality of the stream as well as the play has been great

elvicash
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Bob thanks for the link. I watched some artistic billiards. Dana

Bob Jewett
06-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Bob thanks for the link. I watched some artistic billiards. Dana
One of the artistic players right now is Jean Reverchon, a former world champion. The locations of all the shots are marked on the table -- those spots are not divots. Reverchon also has a video available through Kozoom showing the positions of all the shots in the competition and how he shoots them.

His opponent, Michel Parra, has a small block of wood (maybe 4 inches thick) to stand on to get elevation for masse shots. Reverchon is tall enough to easily be over all of the masse shots.

bud green
06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I can watch pga golf in high def with no streaming issues, yet every time I try and watch anything Kozoom streams, its choppy as hell.

What ever happened to the idea that Kozoom would offer a monthly fee streaming service? Is there any computer program out there that would allow me to save these videos to my computer and watch them later?

desi2960
06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
what is the rack they are using called? where can i buy one? thanks chuck starkey

Bob Jewett
06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I can watch pga golf in high def with no streaming issues, yet every time I try and watch anything Kozoom streams, its choppy as hell.

What ever happened to the idea that Kozoom would offer a monthly fee streaming service? Is there any computer program out there that would allow me to save these videos to my computer and watch them later?
I have a little choppiness too. I suspect it is mostly from the source being in Europe. Maybe they need a US relay or something. The irritating part of the choppiness is that it seems to happen most when the fast action of the shot is taking place.

I think there are several other moves that could make Kozoom more money, but it's their business. For example, they could find a US distributor for their DVDs, which are excellent but difficult and expensive to get from Europe.

Bob Jewett
06-26-2010, 09:54 AM
what is the rack they are using called? where can i buy one? thanks chuck starkey
In the Cohen/Facquet the table is "tapped" and they are just rolling the balls into the small craters. Were you looking to get one of the templates they use to tap the tables?

desi2960
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
i watched part of the 10 ball game and they were putting some type of plastic template on the table and using it to rack the balls. they left it on the table, then removed it after the break. chuck

HollyWood
06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
the ref( hand racks ),wipes the cue ball between racks! They have the class the america players don't! mark

Bob Jewett
06-26-2010, 10:49 AM
i watched part of the 10 ball game and they were putting some type of plastic template on the table and using it to rack the balls. they left it on the table, then removed it after the break. chuck
You're right. The one rack I had seen, Cohen racked the balls himself by hand.

The clear plastic template they leave on the table is similar to the Magic Rack, but appears simpler. I couldn't see whether it has holes or it just uses the inside edge of the strip to position the balls.