PDA

View Full Version : Color of Money Question - Do I Need To Lose Weight?

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvyB2dTnlQ

Anybody wanna take a stab at explaining what is happening here to dummy me?

Thanks

Kevin

rayjay
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Weight is a spot. When he asked if he needed to lose weight, he was asking if he needed to spot Eddy, rubbing in his dominance.
:thumbup:

m79a
06-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Weight is a spot. When he asked if he needed to lose weight, he was asking if he needed to spot Eddy, rubbing in his dominance.

Right on. I watched it again the other day and for the first time thought about why he asked that. I thought the same thing.

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:09 AM
So "let me ask you something, I want you to be real honest, do you think I need to lose some weight?" while he is breaking down his cue and leaving is him asking Eddie if Eddie wants a spot?

I'm not convinced.

Thanks

Kevin

pooltchr
06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I think he was just rubbing a little salt in the wound.

Steve

SKJoss72
06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I think it s a little sarcasm about both him being kinda fat and also the ball spotting as mentioned above...

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Steve

Steve

Certainly he was rubbing salt, but how?

Kevin

scratchs
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Steve

Certainly he was rubbing salt, but how?

Kevin

Most likely a little of both..he is fat..but I think he was speaking of the fat bank roll in his pocket..I always thought his statement was funny.

wutang
06-27-2010, 08:42 AM
It was just sarcasm. Totally unrelated to what just happened on the pool table. Adding insult to injury.

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Most likely a little of both..he is fat..but I think he was speaking of the fat bank roll in his pocket..I always thought his statement was funny.

I always thought it was funny too, now that I've watched the scene again and asked the question, I think it was deep. I'd like to see some explanations before I offer mine, but looking at the scene again it sure doesn't look to me that Amos is offering up a spot.

Thanks

Kevin

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:44 AM
It was just sarcasm. Totally unrelated to what just happened on the pool table. Adding insult to injury.

How is his asking the guy he just beat if he should lose some weight a sarcastic insult?

Thanks

Kevin

"CaliRed".
06-27-2010, 08:47 AM
I think it was him rubbing in the fact he was hustled by asking a completely off the wall question, showing how at ease he was with the whole thing, and to downplay it.

Kind of like someone being terrified to bungy jump, they do it and right afterwards, they downplay the whole thing by saying something like " You know, I was thinking, I will move my couch over by the wall"

It's rubbing it in, by showing the whole thing was so easy for him and he's acting so casual by asking such a off the cuff question

poolplayer2093
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
How is his asking the guy he just beat if he should lose some weight a sarcastic insult?

Thanks

Kevin

i don't know if i agree with what the guy's saying but i can understand how it could be sarcasm.

he leads into it with the, i want you to be honest with me bit, like he's going to ask something important and maybe meaningful and asks something unrelated and kind of stupid.

it's funny. like asking everyone at a funeral what they thought of "the money pit"

BRKNRUN
06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
You know its a good scene/movie when they leave some stuff to the imagination....:wink:

It could be interpreted different ways.

My call is that the "fat" is part of his hustle....Eddie "thought" he was going to beat up on some dumb fat kid....Forrest is confirming that Eddie got hustled by a "dumb fat kid"

In short he was basically saying a rhetorical question to Eddie...."So what do you think of my hustle"

Buddy
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
He hustled Eddie and he is acknowledgeing it

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I think it was him rubbing in the fact he was hustled by asking a completely off the wall question, showing how at ease he was with the whole thing, and to downplay it.

Kind of like someone being terrified to bungy jump, they do it and right afterwards, they downplay the whole thing by saying something like " You know, I was thinking, I will move my couch over by the wall"

It's rubbing it in, by showing the whole thing was so easy for him and he's acting so casual by asking such a off the cuff question

Yeah that's what I originally thought when I first saw the movie, that it was a non sequitur, as it did seem real disconnected.

Thanks

Kevin

Steve Lipsky
06-27-2010, 08:54 AM
My reading of that line was always this:

Eddie is sort of a wounded, old animal at the end of that scene. When Amos says "Hey, I need to ask you something?" in that earnest sort of way, he gives Eddie the fleeting impression that he's going to ask him something respectful, something such as "i know you were great... can you show me how to break better/hustle better/go on the road/etc". Eddie would then at least have the comfort that although he lost, Amos was respectful and possibly even knew he outran the nuts during the session.

Amos knows all this, and wants to stick the knife in even further. So he sets up the question in the above way, only to ask him something he'd just as soon ask his grandmother (about the weight). As if telling Eddie, "I know you thought I was going to ask you something related to your expertise of the game, but you're about as useful to me in that respect as some stranger off the street."

It's a rather devastating blow.

- Steve

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Eddie is sort of a wounded, old animal at the end of that scene. When Amos says "Hey, I need to ask you something?" in that earnest sort of way, he gives Eddie the fleeting impression that he's going to ask him something respectful, something such as "i know you were great... can you show me how to break better/hustle better/go on the road/etc". Eddie would then at least have the comfort that although he lost, Amos was respectful and possibly even knew he outran the nuts during the session.

Amos knows all this, and wants to stick the knife in even further. So he sets up the question in the above way, only to ask him something he'd just as soon ask his grandmother (about the weight). As if telling Eddie, "I know you thought I was going to ask you something related to your expertise of the game, but you're about as useful to me in that respect as some stranger off the street."

- Steve

Steve

Nice. I'm developing a different take but this is good stuff.

Kevin

PoolTable911
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM

- Steve

That is a great call. Makes alot of sense for the scene.

pooltchr
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM

- Steve

Well, it sure motivated Eddie to get his ship together! To steal an old WWII line, Amos might have awakened a sleeping giant!

Steve

Hungarian
06-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Good question. Hard to really know. My gut feel is it is not related to handicapping since the term "weight" in matching up in pool is a intra-cult term. What would Martin know about that? On the other hand he had player experts consulting him during the production. Someone should reach out to Martin Scorsese for the answer.

kyo1128
06-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Because he got fat pile of cash from Eddie?

alstl
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM

I disagree. He was simply making a smart remark to Eddie after he ran over him. It was about his weight, not about a spot. He could have said "Do you think I need to dye my hair." Same effect.

The comment makes no sense in the context of weight as the term is used in pool, and the average movie goer would not understand it in that context.

He was simply being a smart ass to Eddie which reinforced the whole reason for that episode in the movie, which was to piss off Eddie and therefore motivate him to practice diligently and get his game back.

Great sequence in the move, brilliantly written and acted. The "I'm a subject of experiments" thing from Whitaker was beautiful.

Tokyo-dave
06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah that's what I originally thought when I first saw the movie, that it was a non sequitur, as it did seem real disconnected.

Thanks

Kevin

I agree with this take on the whole thing simply because this movie was targeted to a very general population audience that obviously consists of people that don't play pool. (you can see that by the quality of the pool playing in the movie)
Your non-pool-playing viewer isn't going to understand any lines that are too "jargon" related", so if the question was spot related, nobody is gonna get it.
Letting my imagination run loose, and adding to the rubbing it in theory, I take it as setting Eddie up for even more humiliation by getting a rise out of Eddie by giving Eddie the false impression that the guy is about to ask a question related to the game or pool in general. Giving Eddie a little bit of a life line of self respect by appearing to acknowedge that, even though he just busted the guy, he still respects Eddie enough to tap into his wisdom by asking a very serious question. Then he drops the bomb by asking something that has absolutely nothing about what just happened or pool/gambling in general. It can also be read as his way of telling Eddie "the whole time I was playing you, the only thing on my mind was wether or not I have a physical weight issue." "That's how easy you were."
My 2 cents. (I think too much)
dave

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 09:09 AM
When I originally posted the question it was without the U Tube scene. Now after watching it, I have formed a new (for me) opinion.

Throughout the scene, Amos is playing a screwed up character, the results of being a psych experiment monkey, he's twitchy and he echos what what just said, he's a mess. He uses this act to suck Fast Eddie in, Eddie is paying too much attention to Amos's flaws and not enough to his game.

At the end, when Eddie is completely beat, and Amos asks him the question, Amos isn't twitching, he isn't echoing, he is who he is, a slightly overweight great pool player. I think he is rubbing salt in the wound, showing Eddie that he allowed himself to get sucked in by over attention to Amos's physicality and flaws by asking him a question about his real and only flaw, his weight. He doesn't ask him should I lose the twitch (its gone). He doesn't ask him should I lose the echoing (its gone too). He is definitely showing Eddie who he is and letting Eddie know that that answer to Eddie's question of is Amos a hustler is "yes", but also letting Eddie know what all real hustlers know, the mark hustles himself.

Or something like that.

Thanks

Kevin

kyo1128
06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
When I originally posted the question it was without the U Tube scene. Now after watching it, I have formed a new (for me) opinion.

Throughout the scene, Amos is playing a screwed up character, the results of being a psych experiment monkey, he's twitchy and he echos what what just said, he's a mess. He uses this act to suck Fast Eddie in, Eddie is paying too much attention to Amos's flaws and not enough to his game.

At the end, when Eddie is completely beat, and Amos asks him the question, Amos isn't twitching, he isn't echoing, he is who he is, a slightly overweight great pool player. I think he is rubbing salt in the wound, showing Eddie that he allowed himself to get sucked in by over attention to Amos's physicality and flaws by asking him a question about his real and only flaw, his weight. He doesn't ask him should I lose the twitch (its gone). He doesn't ask him should I lose the echoing (its gone too).

Or something like that.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,
I gotta go watch again, but I believe he is no longer twitching once Eddie asks "Are you a hustler"

WKRP
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I never thought about the "weight" = a spot in this scene. The way I always saw it is that he was rubbing in the fact that his whole initial persona was an act ... This goofy unnecessarily open and flakey guy talking about how he was a subject for psychology experiments etc. At the end just to make sure Eddie knows he's been hustled the whole time he says the same sort of goofy thing without the same type of personality letting him know the whole thing was an act.

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I never thought about the "weight" = a spot in this scene. The way I always saw it is that he was rubbing in the fact that his whole initial persona was an act ... This goofy unnecessarily open and flakey guy talking about how he was a subject for psychology experiments etc. At the end just to make sure Eddie knows he's been hustled the whole time he says the same sort of goofy thing without the same type of personality letting him know the whole thing was an act.

Yup.

Thanks

Kevin

SUPERSTAR
06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I think it's just an arbitrary insult. Asking something completely ridiculous to break someones balls.

You've probably seen it in the pool hall at one point or another.
I know i have. LOTS of times.

Usually, it seems to be in reference to how they are going to spend the money they just won. Such as, cheering to their buddies on the sidelines that it's time to go eat, THEIR TREAT, and then they turn to the guy they beat and ask, "Do you think we should get Chinese food or Pizza?"

Or they make some reference to going shopping and turn to the guy they just pounded on and ask, "Do you think i need to buy some new sneakers?"

But i have seen the non money references such as,
"Do you like this shirt?"

Much like the "Did you win?" move (one of my personal favorites), where you have just WATCHED someone get crushed by someone, and they are feeling down on themselves, and here comes the happy ball breaker with a smile on his face, asking you, "DID YOU WIN!?!" when they fully well know you just got tortured, and know you saw them watching you get tortured.

It's all about breaking balls.
That's how i took that line in the movie. It was purely to make Eddie feel like more of a jackass and get a cheap laugh at his expense.

pooltchr
06-27-2010, 09:36 AM
The first time I saw the movie, I took it as a double edged sword. With that innocent look, Amos asks a question that, on the surface, could have been simply about his physical size, but to another pool player, could be taken as a jab regarding his player ability. It was just a parting shot to get into Eddie's head, and it worked.

The general population watching the movie would not even question it, but it was more of an inside joke for the pool players.

It is done in a lot of movies.

Steve

irock
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Good question, I think he was just being cocky after hustling someone who was somewhat of a legend, and rubbing more salt in the wound. I don't think it was about a spot.

9 ball
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Bit of a noob question but here goes, can someone explain in detail what weight & a spot is but also how they can be used in a game?

Mr Slate
06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
He was saying that just to rub salt in the wound. Forrest has never been the same since they killed his Z28 in high school. :)

JoeW
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
The first time I saw the movie, I took it as a double edged sword. With that innocent look, Amos asks a question that, on the surface, could have been simply about his physical size, but to another pool player, could be taken as a jab regarding his player ability. It was just a parting shot to get into Eddie's head, and it worked.

The general population watching the movie would not even question it, but it was more of an inside joke for the pool players.

It is done in a lot of movies.

Steve

I tend to agree with Steve. Movies have a lot of inside jokes and some that are obvious if you are observing. For instance in a re-make of an old Marylin Monroe movie the main charcters walk by a theater that has her name in the over head sign for some other movie. Some people get it, some don't.

Amos, like any good hustler, is asking a two edged question. If Eddie knows what he is talking about Amos is asking about his hustling ability, if you don't know what he is talking about he is just a wise ass, rubbing salt because he is literally over weight.

And who better than Forest Whittiker could pull it off this well.

Weight is the difference a good player gives a lesser player. If the better player gives two balls the better player has more weight to carry, that is he has to make two more balls than his opponet to win the game.

It is used as in the following sentence. "So how much wait are you going to give him in a ten ball game, race to 7?"

For the pool player Amos is saying, "Did I get your hopes to high? Cause you can't play very well at all, though you think you can."

scratchs
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM

At the end, when Eddie is completely beat, and Amos asks him the question, Amos isn't twitching, he isn't echoing, he is who he is, a slightly overweight great pool player. I think he is rubbing salt in the wound, showing Eddie that he allowed himself to get sucked in by over attention to Amos's physicality and flaws by asking him a question about his real and only flaw, his weight. He doesn't ask him should I lose the twitch (its gone). He doesn't ask him should I lose the echoing (its gone too). He is definitely showing Eddie who he is and letting Eddie know that that answer to Eddie's question of is Amos a hustler is "yes", but also letting Eddie know what all real hustlers know, the mark hustles himself.

Or something like that.

Thanks

Kevin

You win the drink round..this is a great thread for coffee an conversation on a Sunday morning..now I want to go down to the pool hall an see what the guys are doin..I like what everyone has said..but you really nailed it, because I see it this way as well..I just could have not put it words as you have, well done..

KMRUNOUT
06-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I always thought it was funny too, now that I've watched the scene again and asked the question, I think it was deep. I'd like to see some explanations before I offer mine, but looking at the scene again it sure doesn't look to me that Amos is offering up a spot.

Thanks

Kevin

I think he is saying that for next time. In other words "Do you think if we play again I will need to give you some weight?"

Also it is the play on him literally being overweight.

KMRUNOUT

thebighurt
06-27-2010, 10:19 AM
He is just being sarcastic. He is not offering a spot. The point is that if he had asked Eddie that question when they were just getting ready to play, Eddie thinking he was stealing would have complimented him saying no " you look good" but after Eddie got hustled and he asked Eddie the question you know Eddie is thinking" yeah you fat cocksucker" LOL LOL LOL

poolplayer2093
06-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Bit of a noob question but here goes, can someone explain in detail what weight & a spot is but also how they can be used in a game?

check your visitor message.

scratchs
06-27-2010, 10:47 AM
He is just being sarcastic. He is not offering a spot. The point is that if he had asked Eddie that question when they were just getting ready to play, Eddie thinking he was stealing would have complimented him saying no " you look good" but after Eddie got hustled and he asked Eddie the question you know Eddie is thinking" yeah you fat cocksucker" LOL LOL LOL

Ooh...now I owe you a shot..just throw the big c out there..yes I would think this as well, and have..lol

TATE
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvyB2dTnlQ

Anybody wanna take a stab at explaining what is happening here to dummy me?

Thanks

Kevin

I always just took it that was part of his hustling schtick.

He tells the "sucker" that he was a test subject in psychology, talks about electroshock (winces in head pain at the right moment). He makes the sucker feel good that the guy is crazy for betting with him too. He starts "getting lucky" and slopping the money ball in. He keeps shooting the lucky shot and "slopping" the money ball in and doubling the bet, laughing and talking about luck, even apologizing. He takes Eddie's money, probably gets serious and outshoots Eddie, then when confronted asks him an irrelvant, almost crazy question.

Crazy Amos never came out of his role...it keeps 'em coming back...

Chris

LAlouie
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
"Weight" had nothing to do with pool gambling weight. It was a punchline to a misdirection question. You expected a serious question and you get a superfluous one instead. Whitaker not only just hustled some dude, the dude let himself get hustled even after he knew he was being hustled. It was the cherry on top of Fast Eddies' stupidity.

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 11:49 AM

He tells the "sucker" that he was a test subject in psychology, talks about electroshock (winces in head pain at the right moment). He makes the sucker feel good that the guy is crazy for betting with him too. He starts "getting lucky" and slopping the money ball in. He keeps shooting the lucky shot and "slopping" the money ball in and doubling the bet, laughing and talking about luck, even aplogizing. He takes Eddie's money, probably gets serious and outshoots Eddie, then when confronted asks him an irrelvant, almost crazy question.

Chris

Chris

Fu*king Amos. I'm so ready for a great pool movie. The Hustler changed my damn life.

Thanks

Kevin

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
"Weight" had nothing to do with pool gambling weight. It was a punchline to a misdirection question. You expected a serious question and you get a superfluous one instead. Whitaker not only just hustled some dude, the dude let himself get hustled even after he knew he was being hustled. It was the cherry on top of Fast Eddies' stupidity.

That's right, he knew he was getting hustled and he still went down that road.

Thanks

Kevin

TATE
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Chris

The Hustler changed my damn life.

Thanks

Kevin

You kind of lived it. I imagine that a few people on the golf course were surprised when those putts started dropping mighty regularly for you too...

Chris

kvinbrwr
06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
You kind of lived it. I imagine that a few people on the golf course were surprised when those putts started dropping mighty regularly for you too...

Chris

Chris

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kevin

I've been playing some at HOB in Sherman Oaks. Its nice and quiet and there are 4 or 5 tight tables (all gold crowns) in the front. If you are playing on one of them the counter people all send the bangers to the back (not next to you or in your face). I'm liking it there but missing my HB waitresses (but not those red tables).

Luxury
06-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Had the line been in "Shooting Gallery" I would have said it was referring to gambling weight since they used the opening credits to literally put up every pool hall term up on the screen and then the definition after each term. It was a very bad omen for me and my movie viewing future.

dabarbr
06-27-2010, 12:13 PM

He tells the "sucker" that he was a test subject in psychology, talks about electroshock (winces in head pain at the right moment). He makes the sucker feel good that the guy is crazy for betting with him too. He starts "getting lucky" and slopping the money ball in. He keeps shooting the lucky shot and "slopping" the money ball in and doubling the bet, laughing and talking about luck, even aplogizing. He takes Eddie's money, probably gets serious and outshoots Eddie, then when confronted asks him an irrelvant, almost crazy question.

Chris

It's like in the movie "The Sting". It's not satisfying enough just to sting someone, they need to know they got stung.

ShootingArts
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Eddie had thought he was being hustled a few times but couldn't let go of the game. He kept on until he was burned big. I always took the question asking about his weight as Amos telling Eddie that the weight and everything was part of his shtick and Eddie had just been played for a sucker. Worked well for the movie but a sucker move of his own for a real hustler. The best hustles are when the other person is never really sure they have been hustled.

Hu

Fatboy
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks

Kevin

Exactly, it makes no sence to ask anyone who you just shotntheir nuts off"do I need to looks lose weight?" that question haz zero to do with pool-he just insulted Felson because he could, kick them when them t
When their down.

Nobody asks for weight after try won convinvincinling. Dosent make sence,,

Craig Fales
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Steve

Me too, I don't think he'd be asking about weight in reference to a spot.

Johnnyt
06-27-2010, 12:49 PM
It's just a play on words heard in poolrooms many moons ago. "Do you think I need to lose some weight?"= "Do you think I need to give you wieght?" Most often is was the other guy (the loser) saying, "you need to lose some wieght." Johnnyt

Scooter
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I believe he was referring to Eddie's question 'Are you a Hustler' obvious question obvious answer ... His way of saying yes you've just been hustled.

Neil
06-27-2010, 02:41 PM

TATE
06-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I believe he was referring to Eddie's question 'Are you a Hustler' obvious question obvious answer ... His way of saying yes you've just been hustled.

I think Scooter nailed it.

Bigtruck
06-27-2010, 03:34 PM
This was a classic Double entendre.

I love the use of them.

Ray

Rich93
06-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I think Steve Lipsky has it right. After he just humiliated the great Fast Eddie on the table, he sets up the question as if he's going to ask something respectful of a hustling legend, like "when did you start to suspect you were being hustled?", or "how good is my act?". Instead he asks something totally irrelevant, showing that he doesn't care what Eddie thinks about anything. The final slap in the face, as if to say "you got nothing to say that I'm interested in". And the motivation for Eddie to get serious again about the one thing he was ever good at.

I always thought that Forrest Whitaker's performance was the best in the movie, even though he couldn't really play worth a damn.

Marie's husband
06-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I think the reason why Amos asked that question to Eddie is to make him think about something other than "I just got hustled out of my money".

I mean think about it, Eddie already figured out he was being hustled before they played that last set and still played anyways because he was upset about being hustled. Amos already new he was figured out so he used the question to ease his way out the door with the money.
It worked pretty well if you asked me.

Amos had a good act which shows he has done this many times and probably has realized that once the sticks get put away, all his fish would be thinking about is nothing but "this guy just hustled me out of my money" and that's when the fish gets the idea to do something about getting hustled. But, Amos never gives them the chance to think about being hustled and he asks that dumb question. The fish stops thinking about the hustle and thinks, what a dumb question to ask, and ponders why he would ask such a dumb question. Which in turn, would give Amos time to get out the door before the fish really got upset and did something stupid.

Thanks just my 2 cents, but that's how I interpret that scene.

joelpope
06-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with wutang...

3RAILKICK
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
This was a classic Double entendre.

I love the use of them.

Ray

Amos was a very sharp guy.

ChazL
06-28-2010, 01:18 AM

This is the way I've always understood the line.

As others have pointed out, Amos starts the gambling session by playing the pigeon-- he tells Eddie that he's been the subject of electroshock therapy and displays facial tics and twitches. He looks uncoordinated and acts like he is barely able to make a ball.

Remember that in the story, Eddie is a former world-class player. He doesn't appear to be laying down much (if at all) while he plays Amos. It is left unsaid, but the situation implies that Eddie would have given up substantial weight to Amos in their gambling match.

Eddie's pride is his downfall. He quickly senses that Amos is hustling him ("Are you a hustler, Amos?") but doubles the bet instead of pulling up. He believes that his superior skill will see him through, regardless of the spot he's giving up.

Obviously, Amos ends up with the cash and Eddie is humiliated.

With his parting shot, Amos essentially says to Eddie "You pegged me as a hustler, and you continued to play. You thought that you could outrun the nuts. Now I've got your money because you were too proud to adjust the spot, and never asked me to give up the weight that I was getting."

The line works because, as Ray said, it is a classic double entendre. Amos is overweight in the movie. In both meanings of "Do you think I need to lose weight?" it is obvious that the answer is "Yes."

Incidentally, the screenplay is written by Richard Price. Although TCOM is hardly his best work (or Scorsese's, or Newman's) he's a very accomplished writer who has authored some wonderful novels (Clockers, Freedomland, Lush Life, etc.).

Just my $0.02.

pt109
06-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I see this line as a defusing or a mis-direction.
The victor is implying that it's over,let's change the subject and get
on with our lives.
I've seen it lots around action or bar room scuffles.
....not that i would ever do it.......
...sooo,how about them Saints?

DWoods6354
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
This is an interesting question - and open to many different interpretations. In my opinion the statement "let me ask you something, and I want you to be real honest, do you think I need to lose some weight?" - carries several layers of meaning:

respect
gotcha
you know where to find me, etc.....
but mostly - I just hustled a hustler.... how did I do?

Early in the movie, Fast Eddie tells Vince - Kid - keep the shirt - it's a nice touch. He also says something to the effect - you are an incredible flake - people will be lining up to play you.

Amos lost all prestense when Eddie asked him the second time " Are you a hustler Amos"? Amos fumbled a bit - then decided to drop the pretense. He gets clear eyed and asks "why -do you want to quit".

Amos knew the act was over. Eddie knew Amos was a hustler and he had been called on the carpet for the end game. Amos recongnized Eddie's kind if not actual persona, a strong game, a wad of cash, a Balabushka. Amos basically told Eddie - yea - you are a hustler - I am a hustler - want it all? ---- Amos made a decision to go for the kill.

Eddie bit the hook ---- and he bit hard.

The statement at the end of the match was basically an honest question - he was saying "Eddie - you knew and you still bit". How was my performance old man?

Just my humble opinion.

Celtic
06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I disagree. He was simply making a smart remark to Eddie after he ran over him. It was about his weight, not about a spot. He could have said "Do you think I need to dye my hair." Same effect.

The comment makes no sense in the context of weight as the term is used in pool, and the average movie goer would not understand it in that context.

He was simply being a smart ass to Eddie which reinforced the whole reason for that episode in the movie, which was to piss off Eddie and therefore motivate him to practice diligently and get his game back.

Great sequence in the move, brilliantly written and acted. The "I'm a subject of experiments" thing from Whitaker was beautiful.

I disagree entirely. I do believe it was a tounge in cheek double entendre meant to let Eddie know that Amos was too good for Eddie to beat without a spot. He was not "offering" a spot, he was simply letting Eddie know that he was not good enough to beat him without one.

It was Amos' way of letting Eddie know the answer to his earlier question "are you a hustler Amos?". In effect Amos lets him know with that statement that yes, he is a hustler and that he was too much for Eddie all along and that Eddie would need weight to have a chance.

It fits way too well and is far too slick a thing to say with that meaning behind it to simply brush it off as a random goofball statement.

TATE
06-28-2010, 06:35 PM
This is an interesting question - and open to many different interpretations. In my opinion the statement "let me ask you something, and I want you to be real honest, do you think I need to lose some weight?" - carries several layers of meaning:

respect
gotcha
you know where to find me, etc.....
but mostly - I just hustled a hustler.... how did I do?

Early in the movie, Fast Eddie tells Vince - Kid - keep the shirt - it's a nice touch. He also says something to the effect - you are an incredible flake - people will be lining up to play you.

Amos lost all prestense when Eddie asked him the second time " Are you a hustler Amos"? Amos fumbled a bit - then decided to drop the pretense. He gets clear eyed and asks "why -do you want to quit".

Amos knew the act was over. Eddie knew Amos was a hustler and he had been called on the carpet for the end game. Amos recongnized Eddie's kind if not actual persona, a strong game, a wad of cash, a Balabushka. Amos basically told Eddie - yea - you are a hustler - I am a hustler - want it all? ---- Amos made a decision to go for the kill.

Eddie bit the hook ---- and he bit hard.

The statement at the end of the match was basically an honest question - he was saying "Eddie - you knew and you still bit". How was my performance old man?

Just my humble opinion.

Lots of good answers here from a lot of viewpoints, any of which could be the answer, many I never considered.

Kudos to Kevin for asking this interesting question. There is always one good answer - whoever goes home with the cash is right. That night it was Amos.

Chris

markpatrick
06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
i don't know if i agree with what the guy's saying but i can understand how it could be sarcasm.

he leads into it with the, i want you to be honest with me bit, like he's going to ask something important and maybe meaningful and asks something unrelated and kind of stupid.

it's funny. like asking everyone at a funeral what they thought of "the money pit"

Amos wanted to know if Eddie needed some weight to gamble on.

I did not like at the end where Vince took what he learned from Fast Eddie and applied it and Eddie was taking the morale high ground. Kind of out of line.

I did like the fact that St Louie Louie was announced a couple of times during the end of the movie and that he probably won that tournament in the end. What I did not believe was Tommie Kennedy wearing a bandana?:eek::eek:

jimmyg
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
You know its a good scene/movie when they leave some stuff to the imagination....:wink:

It could be interpreted different ways.

My call is that the "fat" is part of his hustle....Eddie "thought" he was going to beat up on some dumb fat kid....Forrest is confirming that Eddie got hustled by a "dumb fat kid"

In short he was basically saying a rhetorical question to Eddie...."So what do you think of my hustle"

Exactly!

His physicality was his hustle...and Eddie thought, because of it, that he had an easy game.

Getting your ass kicked, helps keep things in perspective.

Jim

kvinbrwr
06-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Lots of good answers here from a lot of viewpoints, any of which could be the answer, many I never considered.

Kudos to Kevin for asking this interesting question. There is always one good answer - whoever goes home with the cash is right. That night it was Amos.

Chris

Chris

Amos was a beauty. I love that the electric-shock didn't count, because he did it strictly for the experience.

Thanks

Kevin

junior718
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Thats how I always took it. I think possibly also is maybe he was trying to see how Eddie took it also? But for sure he was showing him how easy it was.