PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on Maple Wood Science

Slim Limpy
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM

ShootingArts
06-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Hello,
recently there has been a string of threads on the differences of high/low deflection shafts, differences between brands, recommendations for choosing, etc. (which there probably always is).

Woke up this morning and found in my local paper (Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel) an absolutely great article on the cutting edge science of Maple wood technology as it is being applied to MLB bat production. But this also has a direct application to shaft wood technology. It is far more science specific than I would ever have expected to find in a mainstream article written for general consumption. Be sure to supersize the picture diagrams inserts in the article.

Somebody needs to tap this guy's knowledge for the next generation of low deflection shafts.

Located at: http://www.jsonline.com/business/97244294.html

I've never inserted a link in a thread before so if that doesn't work can someone please upload the link properly. Article is called "Bringing Some Science to Bat" and is located on the main page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel website. Thanks.

Slope of grain is a serious issue for pool cues. Ideally I'd like to split a log and then cut shaft blanks parallel to the splits. The arbitrary cuts designed to get a maximum number of blanks from a log actually results in less quality blanks than might have been obtained from the log I believe.

Hu