PDA

View Full Version : I need some pool hall recommendations

Cdryden
06-28-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm going to Chicago later this year and I want to visit some decent pool halls in the area. I've already put Chris's Billiards on my list but I'm on the look out for a few others as well. I'm not looking for any high stakes games. Maybe a few sets for 20.00 or maybe just play for the hell of it. So where can I get a friendly game?

jbravo2984
06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
HA! you might as well take chris' off the list. What a hole... Go there, take pics of the outside, a pic of the stairwell going up, the memorabilia and then when you get to the top of the stairs... stop! That is the best view you will have of this place. Don't talk to the staff as they are the rudest in the business, and if you don't like cigarette smoke, stay away from the two back rooms. Its nostalgic, but the place has no class and the equipment is garbage. Felt has half dollar size holes in it where the head ball racks on some tables, and on their two main action tables, the rolls of the table are almost unbearable.
If you want to go to some nice places, Marie's Golden cue on the north side is pretty old-school chicago and keeps their equip. in very nice shape... Pro-tyme in orland park might be the nicest pool room in illinois or any the surrounding states (top notch pool room).Red shoes is where the action is and where you'll find freddy the beard, bobby hunter, occasionally ike runnels, john zacsas (red shoes himself) piggy banks. Their equipment is kept up with the best in the area and they have an awesome grill... hopes this info helps.

JustinHayes
06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Related to this general area, can someone give me recomendations for DeKalb, Il? (a bit west of Chicago).

Mainly looking for 9' tables with Simonis, not really action.... I'm taking my son up there for his Jr. Nationals tourny and we would like to practice outside of the tourny area.

Thanks

jbravo2984
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
The student center at niu is your closest and best bet.

Scott Lee
06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Cdryden...Do a search of Chicago pool rooms. There have been at least a dozen threads on this in the last couple of years. FTR, I disagree with what jbravo said. A visit to Chris's is a must, if only to walk around and read the stuff on the walls, in EVERY room. Sure, it's past it's glory days, but there are still plenty of players that go there.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I'm going to Chicago later this year and I want to visit some decent pool halls in the area. I've already put Chris's Billiards on my list but I'm on the look out for a few others as well. I'm not looking for any high stakes games. Maybe a few sets for 20.00 or maybe just play for the hell of it. So where can I get a friendly game?

stevekur1
06-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Contact az member dmgwalsh he will give you the lowdown on the chicago pool scene since he lives there....Great Guy Too !!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=289

-Steve

jbravo2984
06-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Contact az member dmgwalsh he will give you the lowdown on the chicago pool scene since he lives there....Great Guy Too !!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=289

-Steve

I'm pretty sure I just did that...

Cdryden
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, Steve, I dropped Dennis a line like you said. I'm from a smaller town and I play a little every now and then in St. Louis but I would like to match up against a few folks from Chicago to see how I well I can do. You know how it is, you never know for sure how good you are until you play better competition in different parts of the country.

Rich93
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
HA! you might as well take chris' off the list. What a hole... Go there, take pics of the outside, a pic of the stairwell going up, the memorabilia and then when you get to the top of the stairs... stop! That is the best view you will have of this place. Don't talk to the staff as they are the rudest in the business, and if you don't like cigarette smoke, stay away from the two back rooms. Its nostalgic, but the place has no class and the equipment is garbage. Felt has half dollar size holes in it where the head ball racks on some tables, and on their two main action tables, the rolls of the table are almost unbearable.
If you want to go to some nice places, Marie's Golden cue on the north side is pretty old-school chicago and keeps their equip. in very nice shape... Pro-tyme in orland park might be the nicest pool room in illinois or any the surrounding states (top notch pool room).Red shoes is where the action is and where you'll find freddy the beard, bobby hunter, occasionally ike runnels, john zacsas (red shoes himself) piggy banks. Their equipment is kept up with the best in the area and they have an awesome grill... hopes this info helps.

I think you're too hard on Chris's. I don't go there to play pool so I can't comment on the pool tables, but their carom tables are the best in Chicago and it's "the place" for billiards in Chicago. I've always found the staff pretty friendly.

I do agree on Red Shoes, however. It's a great room, and you don't have to be an action player to enter. Everybody is made to feel welcome.

K Knight
06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
You can check out City Pool Hall too.

http://citypoolhall.com/

BWTadpole
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay, I don't often butt heads with people on here, but Cdryden, let me give you this advice:

Do not listen to a word jbravo2984 said in your thread. NOT a WORD!

Keep Chris' on your list of pool halls to visit. I don't know who exactly jbravo has a vendetta against at Chris', but don't let his grudge keep you from this stop. On top of the nostalgia of walking into a pool hall that seems to have been untouched by time, there are good tables to play on and good players to watch. Also, if you're into three-cushion and 12-foot snooker, they've got the tables for you. There's a reason this pool hall is frequently on the list of recommended stops for visitors to the city. Don't miss this opportunity!

I live in the near south suburbs of Chicago, and my vote for the best hall on the south side would be Red Shoes. If you meet up with Dennis, you'll have a good time shooting for sure. He's great people to know. City Pool Hall and Marie's Golden Cue would be well worth your time to visit as well. Also, if you drop me a line too, I'd be glad to come out and spend some time with a fellow AZer, provided my academic schedule allows such a trip :p

jbravo2984
06-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Okay, I don't often butt heads with people on here, but Cdryden, let me give you this advice:

Keep Chris' on your list of pool halls to visit. I don't know who exactly jbravo has a vendetta against at Chris', but don't let his grudge keep you from this stop. On top of the nostalgia of walking into a pool hall that seems to have been untouched by time, there are good tables to play on and good players to watch. Also, if you're into three-cushion and 12-foot snooker, they've got the tables for you. There's a reason this pool hall is frequently on the list of recommended stops for visitors to the city. Don't miss this opportunity!

I live in the near south suburbs of Chicago, and my vote for the best hall on the south side would be Red Shoes. If you meet up with Dennis, you'll have a good time shooting for sure. He's great people to know. City Pool Hall and Marie's Golden Cue would be well worth your time to visit as well. Also, if you drop me a line too, I'd be glad to come out and spend some time with a fellow AZer, provided my academic schedule allows such a trip :p

No vendetta, just facts and experience. How about these fine examples of reasons not to get your hopes up about such "great place untouched by time"....
-I will give you this, the statewide smoking ban hasn't kept people from smoking there, so I guess the statement applies there...The reason... the staff is too fat and lazy to get out from behind the front desk and do something about it...
-Second, call up there on a sunday afternoon and ask for the tournament director. Ask him a couple questions about when does it start, entry fee, handicap etc... See how fast he turns into an inconsiderate *****... Once you thank him for the very little information you had to grind out of him with a mortar and pestol, he will hand up on you without another word so don't bother.
-The 2 main "action" tables (their "one-pocket tables" roll horribly) plan on banking them about a half ball too wide on the bottom left corner pocket if you play the game with one of the house NITS there.
-The biggest "action" that place sees on a weekly basis is $20 one pocket action. Most of the "action" is Paul grinding out $50-$100 from unsuspecting eggs (chicago-land term).
-The TOURNAMENT ROOM has 3 different kinds of tables with a variety of garbage felts from simonis with half dollar sized holes where the head ball racks and flies off the table when you break, to the oh-so delightful slow-nap cloth that belongs on a pool table at someones summer home out on the back porch.
-If you're looking for firewood, there is garbage piled up and broken chairs and pool cues/table parts in the northeast corner of the location.
-The tables with the best felt are still screwed.
-Don't expect to have a handicap BEFORE the tournament starts.
-You can expect the TD to not tell you correct rulings in accordance with the set of rules he claims to follow, and btw, figure out table assignments of the tournament on your own. From start to finish.
-In fact, by the time the tournament is and hour or two in, he won't be there and good luck finding his replacement. Its now become a group effort.
-There food selection is... well... non-existent.
-PARKING IS FUN TOO! TURN ON THE CAR ALARM :)

SHALL I CONTINUE?
DON'T LISTEN TO A WORD I SAY, BUT GO TO RED-SHOES... IT'S COOL...SO IS MARIES... HMMM I'M PRETTY SURE I SAID THOSE THINGS, BUT DON'T LISTEN TO ME SAY IT, LISTEN TO HIM SAY IT 'CAUSE I DON'T LET THE NOSTALGIA BLIND-FOLD ME FROM SEEING THE BULLSH*T THAT IS, THE HORRIBLE EQUIPMENT, THE WORSE STAFF IMAGINABLE AND A ROOM OWNER THAT HAS BOUGHT AND RUN MORE CHICAGO POOL ROOMS INTO THE GROUND THAN KEVIN TRUDEAU HAS ENEMIES! Hall of fame, cue-phoria, lee street billiards, the green pocket, just to name a few...
The only thing keeping this place afloat is the nostalgia...
The best thing that could happen to this place is... foreclosure or something, someone who would give a flip buys it, re-opens and does something with it! If only I had the money, chris' could be something even more than what it once was... and people accept it for what it is right now and WONDER WHY POOL IS WHAT IT IS RIGHT NOW IN CHICAGOLAND?! WHAT A JOKE! POSSIBLY THE MOST FAMOUS POOL HALL IN THE WORLD... AND ITS A DUMP! "OH THEY HAVE SOME NICE TABLES" LOL THEY SHOULD ALL BE NICE... IT'S CHRIS'S BILLIARDS-41 TABLES-COLOR OF MONEY-CHICAGO, MY KIND OF TOWN! CHRIS'S... unfortunately not my kind of pool hall... but don't listen to a word i say... not a word!

My name is Joe Durham. They call me ATM... Look me up if you're not familiar but I'm sure you've heard of me and I know what I'm talking about. I play at either orland park pro-tyme or q billiards on mondays now, I run tourneys at main st in algonquin on tuesdays, wednesday's at hammerheads used to be a tourney I ran but now I play elsewhere on wednesdays, thrusdays either the chicago billiard cafe or the carom room in beloit wisconsin, fridays at hammerheads or rudys in aurora, saturdays at red shoes for their bi-weekly or at main street for practice then rudys for the night tourney, sundays at pyramid club at 2pm for tourney then to chris's for the sunday night grind....
I'VE BEEN LIVING BREATHING SLEEPING AND EATING POOL IN CHICAGO FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?!
I don't care who you are or how long you've been around, nobody has spent more time in as many pool rooms chicago wide, as I have, in the last 10 years. Period.

BWTadpole
06-30-2010, 01:20 AM
I'VE BEEN LIVING BREATHING SLEEPING AND EATING POOL IN CHICAGO FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?!

Yes. Night.

jbravo2984
06-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes. Night.

great arguementative statement there...who are you???

The Schwartz
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
China called, they want their wall back lol. Damn that's a lot of text. Sounds like good, experienced info though

Tramp Steamer
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, that does it for me. I heading for Indinapo...Indianpol...Ohio. :)

1 Pocket Ghost
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, let me just say that I do believe that I just may be the foremost expert on this forum re. all things Chris's Billiards - past and present...why?...

Because I've been gambling in there for the last 35 years...

Because I was there from the day it opened, before it even was Chris's Billiards - it was originally Bob's Billiards...

And in 1985 I was there working as an extra in The Color Of Money scenes that were filmed there...

And in the 90's, I was the tournament director there (hey Scott Lee, you there? - you still should thank me for handicapping you as an 11 instead of a 12 :wink:)...

And as for the debate going on, here on this thread, re. the current Chris's Billiards...I'll just say this...

If you've never been there, is it worth visiting, seeing, getting a table? - absolutely...are there excellent 3cushion tables? - yep...will you see the esteemed Billiards Digest writer George Fels there practicing every day, trying to run 100 balls? - yes you will...:)...

But on the other hand...does it have action-inducing, tournament-promoting owners like a good 'old school' pool hall should?, and is it still the every-night-action pool room that it used to be?...

Not even close.

- Ghost

"T"
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, let me just say that I do believe that I just may be the foremost expert on this forum re. all things Chris's Billiards - past and present...why?...

Because I've been gambling in there for the last 35 years...

Because I was there from the day it opened, before it even was Chris's Billiards - it was originally Bob's Billiards...

And in 1985 I was there working as an extra in The Color Of Money scenes that were filmed there...

And in the 90's, I was the tournament director there (hey Scott Lee, you there? - you still should thank me for handicapping you as an 11 instead of a 12 :wink:)...

And as for the debate going on, here on this thread, re. the current Chris's Billiards...I'll just say this...

If you've never been there, is it worth visiting, seeing, getting a table? - absolutely...are there excellent 3cushion tables? - yep...will you see the esteemed Billiards Digest writer George Fels there practicing every day, trying to run 100 balls? - yes you will...:)...

But on the other hand...does it have action-inducing, tournament-promoting owners like a good 'old school' pool hall should?, and is it still the every-night-action pool room that it used to be?...

Not even close.

- Ghost

Good post.

Surprised I missed this thread.

Chris's is unfortunately becoming a "Nice place to visit, but..." kind of place. Wish I could counter some of the negative things mentioned about the place, but I can't because I have a list of a few negatives myself.

It's really too bad. A few days ago, I was at the Carom Cafe in Flushing, NY and with the right attitude from the management, Chris's could be a lot like the Carom Cafe in terms of classic style and authenticity, but they just seem like they don't care and I think that poor attitude is what's turning a lot of people off from being regulars at Chris's. More so than the table conditions and "reportedly" the smoking thing. lol

It's still a nice place to visit.