PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Carolina Tour vs. White Diamonds Billiards Tournament

insanepoolgod
06-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I just noticed that AZ Billiards has covered as front page news the Jacoby Carolina Tour Tournament. It had 15 players in it and was won by the Pearl.

I am from Louisiana, so maybe I am a little biased, but it seems to me that the powers that be don't cover the local tournaments to the same extent the tour tournaments are covered. Does anyone know the requirements for a tournament to get front page coverage? Seems to me that consistent $40,000 payouts would garner a little media coverage.

JoeyA
06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I just noticed that AZ Billiards has covered as front page news the Jacoby Carolina Tour Tournament. It had 15 players in it and was won by the Pearl.

I am from Louisiana, so maybe I am a little biased, but it seems to me that the powers that be don't cover the local tournaments to the same extent the tour tournaments are covered. Does anyone know the requirements for a tournament to get front page coverage? Seems to me that consistent $40,000 payouts would garner a little media coverage.

Yeah, it seems pretty screwed up that the White diamonds tournament doesn't make the first page but it's not that messed up.

I think that a "writer" has to provide the information for the tournament to AZ Billiards in a particular format and I assume a few pictures would be good, too. I'm sure that if a writer wanted to provide the information in the format that AZ would need it, they would publish the information but I don't speak for AZBilliards, of course.. Just surmising a bit.

Matt90
06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Have either of you ever been to NC to a Jacoby tournament ?? just messing with ya but it's one of the better run tournaments in the south east ,it's also a tour stop which may stand to reason why it gets covered more than others that are not......I'm just saying :)

Majic
06-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Whats a White Diamonds Billiard Tournament?

doublej487
06-29-2010, 07:09 AM
a white diamonds billiard tournament is one of the best tournaments out right now, they have 2 a year, the last one there was like 40000 dollars in first calcutta yers tournaments its pretty much a pool players dream

greyghost
06-29-2010, 07:17 AM
well if I'm in for the next one I'll do the write up, if az is interested in putting it on page.....

it really is one of the best tournaments going on in the country PERIOD...that includes major tourneys too.....

akaTrigger
06-29-2010, 10:17 AM
You surmise very well, JoeyA! :)

AZBilliards needs the info to put up. If no one sends them a write up with results, how can they post anything about a finished tournament? Send them a photo or two, all payouts, and a write up, and the tournament will get covered. :)

GreyGhost, sounds like everyone would really enjoy your help if you get to do this next time for the White Diamonds Tournament!

JoeyA
06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
You surmise very well, JoeyA! :)

AZBilliards needs the info to put up. If no one sends them a write up with results, how can they post anything about a finished tournament? Send them a photo or two, all payouts, and a write up, and the tournament will get covered. :)

GreyGhost, sounds like everyone would really enjoy your help if you get to do this next time for the White Diamonds Tournament!

Yeah, I surmise pretty good. :wink: I will volunteer to snap bright flash pictures of my opponent when he is down on an important shot and will do the same for any other AZB member. :D:D:D

GreyGhost can do this and it will put Lafayette, LA on the map like nothing else has. The tournament is unlike ANY tournament I have ever been to. The Calcutta will make a successful pool player quake as he hears the numbers that players go off for.

I am suprised that the MARS MAN and other GREAT stake horses haven't assembled a team together to come down and invest in this fabulous, wild lucrative WEEKEND event.

I believe there is one coming up in August.

pooltchr
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Matt,
Not to hijack the thread, but I love your avitar! The first time I went to Marietta for a tournament, I was getting directions, and they told me to turn right at the big chicken. When I questioned it, I was told "Don't worry, when you see it, you will know!"
I did!!!!

Steve

greyghost
06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I surmise pretty good. :wink: I will volunteer to snap bright flash pictures of my opponent when he is down on an important shot and will do the same for any other AZB member. :D:D:D

GreyGhost can do this and it will put Lafayette, LA on the map like nothing else has. The tournament is unlike ANY tournament I have ever been to. The Calcutta will make a successful pool player quake as he hears the numbers that players go off for.

I am suprised that the MARS MAN and other GREAT stake horses haven't assembled a team together to come down and invest in this fabulous, wild lucrative WEEKEND event.

I believe there is one coming up in August.

Well said Joey, Yea I haven't heard an exact date but I'm sure it should be around aug/sep....hopefully my new schedule will work out so that i can be there, if not i may have to finagle a way to take a few days off for the event.

I depending on who shows up it might be cool to interview a few players like Scotty or CJ and post up the commentary here....maybe some people have specific questions they would like to ask particular players? Once we find out who's coming we could start a thread about potential questions.

I think it would be really sweet to film some of the tourney....have Joey do the narration, sort of like an indie documentary....DAYUM THAT WOULD BE COOL!

For what its worth....the jacoy carolina tour doesn't hold a candle to whats cracking down in the bayou a few times a year....

if you haven't been...you should be
if you havent planned for it....plan for it

your guaranteed to have a great time....good food, great play, great people...well run tournament....arguably the best calcutta there is thanks to that mouth from the south Chris Miller

Majic
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
a white diamonds billiard tournament is one of the best tournaments out right now, they have 2 a year, the last one there was like 40000 dollars in first calcutta yers tournaments its pretty much a pool players dream

WOW........that should be on ESPN :)

greyghost
06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
WOW........that should be on ESPN :)

its the truth....that calcutta is one of the most entertaining things anyone, ANYONE has ever seen

Majic
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
its the truth....that calcutta is one of the most entertaining things anyone, ANYONE has ever seen

How many days does this tourney run for?

greyghost
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
How many days does this tourney run for?

There's usually a mini on the Friday night....then the tournament starts saturday and finishes sunday

2 calcuttas one sat one sun

Realizm
06-29-2010, 03:43 PM
There's usually a mini on the Friday night....then the tournament starts saturday and finishes sunday

So is it a new tour ?

Majic
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM

What dates are the next tourney?

insanepoolgod
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Based on some of the responses to this thread, it amazes me that people out there don't know about this tournament. As best I can tell, Chris and Ashley try to have a tournament once a quarter.

I think it is safe to say that first place will pay between $10k and $15K. Granted, some of that is Calcutta money, but still, we are talking about lots of cash, lots of top name players in attendance and lots of action throughout the tournament and often times continuing until the following week.

I didn't start this thread to promote the tournament, but I will gladly give props where props are due.

Does anyone know of a non-tour, non-sponsored tournament (basically, a bar room tournament) that pays out this much money? I don't know of one, which is why I am surprised it isn't splashed across the home page of AZBillairds.

Majic
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Based on some of the responses to this thread, it amazes me that people out there don't know about this tournament. As best I can tell, Chris and Ashley try to have a tournament once a quarter.

I think it is safe to say that first place will pay between $10k and $15K. Granted, some of that is Calcutta money, but still, we are talking about lots of cash, lots of top name players in attendance and lots of action throughout the tournament and often times continuing until the following week.

I didn't start this thread to promote the tournament, but I will gladly give props where props are due.

Does anyone know of a non-tour, non-sponsored tournament (basically, a bar room tournament) that pays out this much money? I don't know of one, which is why I am surprised it isn't splashed across the home page of AZBillairds.
A press release would be a good start !!!

greyghost
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
The dates are not released yet....it is not a tour.....

As soon as I find out I'll post it up, but Ashley/Chris have posted it up in the Tournament announcements section for at least the past 3 or 4 of them.

They have one every quarter of the year

its 40 to enter and quarters

double elimination

race to 7 winners and losers and rack your own

mini tournament is $20 and race to 3

tigerseye
06-29-2010, 06:20 PM

hmmm..you have a valid complaint...

insanepoolgod
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
hmmm..you have a valid complaint...

I wouldn't call it a complaint. I am certainly happy with the website overall as I am sure most others are. I was just curious as to the protocols for getting certain events covered.