PDA

View Full Version : 10-ball break?

Tokyo-dave
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Spent about an hour yesterday practicing the 10-ball break. Tried different spots on the table, hitting square, hitting off center, English, no English, and different speeds. Still can't make a ball with any consistency. Did a search of the forum, but the search feature here sucks so I ended up with a bunch of junk to fish through. Sure it's been discussed before but can we do it again? Any pointers?
dave

DogsPlayingPool
06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
My break sucks too, but I can tell you the best way to do a search here is through Google. In this case try typing into the Google search box:

10 Ball Break site:forums.azbilliards.com (http://www.google.com/search?q=10+ball+break+site%3Aforums.azbilliards.c om&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

A Google search done in this manner is way better than the limited search function here.

RunoutJJ
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I break from the most right corner of the break box at the head string. Center ball and a good solid break stroke and get pretty good results.

Johnnyt
06-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Depends on the table where to place the QB, but not on the side rails. Elevate cue slightly, hit 1-ball square, break speed 20 mph (have to play with speed from 18-24 mph). All balls must be touching in rack. The slight adjustment in speed is for the timing of the hops the QB makes going to the 1-ball. Not that you can see it w/o slow-mo camera but you want the QB just starting to come down as it hits the 1-ball solid. You'll know when you have it right...a ball in 2nd row goes in the side and 1-ball goes near corner at head of table. Sometimes the two back corner balls go around 3 to 4 rails and back toward the corner pockets at the head of the table if they get a clean trip around. Of course park the QB in the middle of table after break. Johnnyt

mnShooter
06-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Ditto to what Johnny said. Make sure the front 6 balls are touching with no gaps. The second ball is the only one that can be made consistently. You can adjust the second ball by hitting harder or softer and using more or less draw. If the second ball is going too low you need more hop or more draw. If the second ball is going too high less hop or less draw.

Also you could try to make the 1 ball in the side by breaking like a 9 ball break from the side cushion. I've had mixed results with this though because it seems like a ball always kicks it out before it gets to the side and you don't get a good spread.

TATE
06-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Spent about an hour yesterday practicing the 10-ball break. Tried different spots on the table, hitting square, hitting off center, English, no English, and different speeds. Still can't make a ball with any consistency. Did a search of the forum, but the search feature here sucks so I ended up with a bunch of junk to fish through. Sure it's been discussed before but can we do it again? Any pointers?
dave

Dave,

If you can get a tight rack on the 1 and the two behind it and the three behind them (no gaps) hit the 1 ball head on from about 1" - 2" right of head spot centerline and try to get the cueball coming straight back at you with a little low tip. The balls behind it should track to the sides. Keep moving the cue ball so it's center, 1", 2', 3' left, right etc. until you start pocketing a ball in the side. I found the most effective spot is within 6" either side of the center line.

The corner balls go 4 rails and can go back in their nearest corner but it takes a lot of power. A slightly offset cueball sends the opposite corner ball with more power.

If you get a Magic Rack, it's a lot easier.

Chris

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW3BEEP4CEMP3DCxA3EBJk4FBal4GBjO3HBKO4IDVx4JA dA2PBqc4UALW1UGPt3VEEP3VQfc3VbGg2VCjf1VbXq3VYvV4WE MP4WQWc4WaxO2WNUW2Wapa4WXYI3YBJk3YXCl3YXjg4aBal4aX Cc2kBqc4kATB2kESp@

TATE
06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Ditto to what Johnny said. Make sure the front 6 balls are touching with no gaps. The second ball is the only one that can be made consistently. You can adjust the second ball by hitting harder or softer and using more or less draw. If the second ball is going too low you need more hop or more draw. If the second ball is going too high less hop or less draw.

Also you could try to make the 1 ball in the side by breaking like a 9 ball break from the side cushion. I've had mixed results with this though because it seems like a ball always kicks it out before it gets to the side and you don't get a good spread.

Good info here and from Johhny -

steev
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Still can't make a ball with any consistency.

This is why ten ball is better than nine ball. Just hit 'em hard and hope.

-s

BryanBpool
06-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Depends on the table where to place the QB, but not on the side rails. Elevate cue slightly, hit 1-ball square, break speed 20 mph (have to play with speed from 18-24 mph). All balls must be touching in rack. The slight adjustment in speed is for the timing of the hops the QB makes going to the 1-ball. Not that you can see it w/o slow-mo camera but you want the QB just starting to come down as it hits the 1-ball solid. You'll know when you have it right...a ball in 2nd row goes in the side and 1-ball goes near corner at head of table. Sometimes the two back corner balls go around 3 to 4 rails and back toward the corner pockets at the head of the table if they get a clean trip around. Of course park the QB in the middle of table after break. Johnnyt

^^

Good info right here....

You can find two hours or video of me playing 10ball here(http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=191686).... While My break is still a work in progress, you will find that when I make a ball, it is one of the balls behind the one ball with the one coming back up table.

I should have moved a little to the right or left with my break during this match so that the one ball wasnt coming straight back at me.

Junkyarddog
06-30-2010, 08:20 AM
dave

The break is what makes 10 ball that much harder. There isn't a ball that goes straight in.