PDA

View Full Version : Soldier in Afghanistan needs our help

Jerry Forsyth
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Folks, I just got the following email from one of our soldiers in Afghanistan. Can any of you help him out? We are making some contacts from our end as well. Send stuff to the address beneath his signature.

AZ Billiards,

I will attempt to keep this short as to not take up too much of
your time. I am currently in Kabul, Afghanistan and I am taking on
running a pool tournament either weekly or semi-weekly in an attempt to
keep up the morale of our soldiers. My reason for writing is that we
are very limited on what I can use in order to make this successful.
Our chalk looks like rocks, cues are long over abused, amongst other
things. My main objective in my search is going to be locating
something to award as prizes.

Any assistance you may be able to offer will be appreciated beyond what
words can express. If you are unable to assist and can direct me to
someone who may be able to, that would also be appreciated. I will go
ahead and stop here so I don't ramble. I eagerly await your response and
wish you all the best.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

Tom In Cincy
06-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for passing this on Jerry.

OK gentlemen.. step up and send some prizes to those pool playing US Military personnel overseas.

Now is your chance to get rid of some old chalk or what ever you have taken for granted just sitting around..

For the cost of postage and a Tee shirt from your pool hall, you can make someone's life overseas just a little better.

I guarantee you will feel better for doing it..

thanks..

Johnnyt
06-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Would gift cerfifs from an online billiard supply be a good idea? Johnnyt

cabilliardclub
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Tom, Let me know when you are sending stuff, I have some I would part with and perhaps we could send it together.

Chris

Tom In Cincy
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I will wait until next week if you happen to be up here this weekend for the One Pocket.. Sat. .. I would be glad to include what you can spare.

Hey Tom, Let me know when you are sending stuff, I have some I would part with and perhaps we could send it together.

Chris

Holly
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks Jerry for passing this on to everyone.

Count CSI in :) Mark and all of us here at the CSI office will be putting together a big care package to head their way.

All the best to Staff Sargent Berkowitz for his endeavor and the fine men and women serving in Afghanistan.

magix
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
just put together a package for sargent bekowitz.may god bless and keep him and all the men and woman who serve and protect.thanks jerry. george--just for information so there won't be many duplications.i sent 3 jump cues ,1 break jump,1 3/8-10 extension and 1 short shaft for jumping.

Mike in MN
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Let's keep this thread one page one for a while. I think a lot of people are going to be willing and able to help out. I'm going to search through my stuff and see if I can't put together something for them.

I assume the address given at the end of the letter is the address to which we should ship things?

hangemhigh
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
1 gross of blue Master going out tomorrow. God bless the troops and the USA! I will be including the elusive and much sought after AZ Billiards key chain as a small prize donation.

Mike in MN
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
CueSight.com is sending some supplies.

It's really too bad that the soldiers have to ask us for donations when the military wastes so much elsewhere. I once worked at a rec center with 50sets of brand new balls and they only had two tables.

A few years ago we did something similar for a company in Iraq.

Edit: this was John posting through Karen's account.

Rep to the Barton's for helping out :)

Williebetmore
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
1 gross of blue Master going out tomorrow. God bless the troops and the USA! I will be including the elusive and much sought after AZ Billiards key chain as a small prize donation.

Hangman,
I guess a gross should be enough, so I won't send any.

I mentioned this to Jeanette Lee, and she is insisting on sending a bunch of Black widow gear (usually T-shirts, shot glasses, cue balls, posters, etc.). No ego involved; I told her that pool fans love this type of stuff, and in my opinion would love stuff like that for prizes. I'll pick up the stuff tomorrow, send it Friday, and post what was sent so there isn't a lot of duplication.

I'm sending some prize stuff of my own; but I don't have any type of decent cue to send. Surely at least 2 people can come up with a decent cue so they will have 2 playable cues. I'll see if JL has an extra player if no one posts before I send the gear.

Does anyone know if they need a decent set of balls? I do have extra's in good condition.

Klink
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Respectfully,
SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound stupid but I will if it gets even one extra person to send something.

I have a brand new case and some other stuff I would send. Is this the address? and how do i go about sending it? The post office?

Marie's husband
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Respectfully,
SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

I hate to sound stupid but I will if it gets even one extra person to send something.

I have a brand new case and some other stuff I would send. Is this the address? and how do i go about sending it? The post office?[/QUOTE]

Klink,

Yes, If you want it to go to that specific individual that is the address and you can just use the post office. No reason to use priority shipping or anything like that because it usually takes a while to get there anyways. I can not find the address to the Moral, Welfare, and Rec facility there but I am thinking that this individual will put whatever product is donated to good use for all the military members that are over there.

Just amazing how each and every one of you are helping this member out and how it will improve the quality of life for so many Active Duty Members. When your away from home as much as these guys are, its the little things that we take for granted that really make huge differences in each in every day for them.

Thank you for showing your support and hopefully you have a smile on your face because you should be very proud of what you have done.

will8834
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Ill send a sneaky pete It will be done in about a week.

Cues For A Cure
07-01-2010, 01:35 AM
We will be sending out a care package with a cue and case a few tip tools and a bridge head. We are also adding some shirts as well.

Cues For A Cure

jay helfert
07-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks Jerry for posting this. My care package is going out today, with a little bit of everything, including a copy of Pool Wars. They can pass that around. :wink:
Spots, tips, tappers, DVD's, powder, shaper, bridge head, chalk, the whole nine yards. I think SSG Bekowitz is about to be inundated with pool supplies. And that's a good thing!

Johnnyt
07-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Maybe in a few weeks he can take a few pictures to post on here of all the supplies and of them playing on the table. Johnnyt

Mike in MN
07-01-2010, 07:57 AM
The generosity from this group never ceases to amaze me. Keep it up, folks :)

Edit: Does Staff Sergeant Bekowitz post here on AZB? If so, does anyone have his user name? It would be great if he kept us informed of all the great stuff he's getting for his group. Pictures would be fun.

freddy the beard
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
My feelings about our Armed Forces is blatently obvious. The best times I ever had in my life were spent in the Army overseas. I come out of the, "Lets just kill everybody," school of military strategy.

Meanwhile, my extreme views aside, I am sending the ole' sarge, both my DVDs, Banks That Dont Go -- But Do, Banking With the Beard -- the Movie, a copy of the Bank Pool Ring Game of 2010, The OnePocket Hall of Fame Dinner 2010 and a copy of The Road Scholars, along with a fire engine red, short sleeve, Nine Ball Forever!, Bank on Brother shirt.

Come home soon,

the Beard

It feels good to see the enthusiastic response from all the AZ boys.

desi2960
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

i will send one of my pool cues, is this the correct address?

chuck starkey

oldzilla
07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Timely bump for a very worthy cause !!!

Lets take care of ours that are half way around the world. tyvm

Blackjack
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
is this the correct address?

chuck starkey

I have the same question - I'll donate two copies of my book Lessons In 9 Ball, I just need to verify the shipping address.

BisonBilliards
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Like the above posters said, is that the address we should send to?

I am sure I can find chalk and other goods to send over there for the soldiers!

oldzilla
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I have the same question - I'll donate two copies of my book Lessons In 9 Ball, I just need to verify the shipping address.

I say ask Jerry. It is in the OP, but maybe you want him to double check it.

I understand it is important that the items get to the right people.

Jerry if you read this would you respond to these generous people about the address ! tyvm

CarlB
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I will start with confirming the address listed as a perfect place to send it too. I am coordinating and running the billiards here and with everyones generosity, it is going to make a lot of pool players here very happy.

My apologies for not posting faster. I finally got the pages to load far enough that I got registered on the Forums under the name AfghanBilliards as i couldn't remember my previous log in. I was reading through the posting and all I can say is WOW. It is a wonderful and great feeling to see all the people in the community that are willing to help out. It is truly a great feeling and I have already started to spread the word to all the pool players here that soon enough they will be able to actually relax and enjoy playing again.

To answer a few of the questions that I had seen posted.

- Yes to the address questions. The address under my name is fine to send it to. I am not keeping anything for personal use and everything will be used in our MWR / Pool tournament events. I am printing flyers out now to make sure everyone that wishes to can participate. I would also like a list of pool hall names / company names / and individual names who are sending things so that I may give credit where credit is due. :D

- As far as what to send. We can use anything and from what I can see so far, you guys are right on. I can't make this a premier pool room over here but I can certainly make it better than it is now...Especially with your guys help. I can't stop smiling because never did I expect or even imagine this kind of response.

- As to the comment about the pictures...OF COURSE!! :D I have already started to take some of the room as it stands, I can get them uploaded soon, and I would be happy to take pictures of everything in action when we get rolling. Keep everyone posted on how things are going. Pictures are a wonderful idea. Thank you for bringing it up.

Again, I cannot express through words nor actions how much I and the billiards community here will appreciate your support.

God Bless The United States of America!!!

**edit** And Holy Crap. This reached Jeanette Lee..I'm telling that story already and no one believes me. :D That is awesome. I once played pool with John Schmidt, but this story by far already surpasses that one. Sorry John. lol. (jk)

**2nd edit** Actually, let me get the current pictures uploaded now and Ill post some in a few.

Thanks Again AZBilliards, and the entire billiard community.

Respectfully and Sincerely

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

Kickin' Chicken
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Heading downstairs to the lab-or-a-tory to see what all I have hanging around for these soldiers.

And yes, it would be terrific if SSG Bekowitz could, after receiving donated goods from us, post up some pics here of some items in use. I'll bet that would put a smile on our faces. :)

Great cause.

Best,
Brian kc

Kickin' Chicken
07-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Welcome aboard AzB SSG Bekowitz!

Best,
Brian kc

Jerry Forsyth
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Jerry,

The internet over here is messing up pretty bad for me. I finally
got the pages to load far enough that I got registered on the Forums
under the name AfghanBilliards. I was reading through the posting and
all I can say is WOW. It is a wonderful and great feeling to see all the
people in the community that are willing to help out. It is truly a
great feeling and I have already started to spread the word to all the
pool players here that soon enough they will be able to actually relax
and enjoy playing again.

To answer a few of the questions that I had seen posted (because I
cannot get the "post reply" page to load).

- Yes to the address questions. The address under my name is fine
to send it to. I am not keeping anything for personal use and
everything will be used in our MWR / Pool tournament events. I am
printing flyers out now to make sure everyone that wishes to can
participate. I would also like a list of pool hall names / company
names / and individual names who are sending things so that I may give
credit where credit is due. :D

- As far as what to send. We can use anything and from what I can
see so far, you guys are right on. I can't make this a premier pool
room over here but I can certainly make it better than it is
now...Especially with your guys help. I can't stop smiling because
never did I expect or even imagine this kind of response.

Once I get a more stable internet connection I can take some
pictures of the guys here and our "illustrious" pool room. :D

Again, I cannot express through words nor actions how much I and
the billiards community here will appreciate your support.

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC

Jerry Forsyth
07-01-2010, 12:49 PM
To all of you who have been so generous, thank you very much. You bring tears to my eyes with your big hearts. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

oldzilla
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
It would be very nice to see a AZB Forum banner over there too !

jay helfert
07-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Jerry,

The internet over here is messing up pretty bad for me. I finally
got the pages to load far enough that I got registered on the Forums
under the name AfghanBilliards. I was reading through the posting and
all I can say is WOW. It is a wonderful and great feeling to see all the
people in the community that are willing to help out. It is truly a
great feeling and I have already started to spread the word to all the
pool players here that soon enough they will be able to actually relax
and enjoy playing again.

To answer a few of the questions that I had seen posted (because I
cannot get the "post reply" page to load).

- Yes to the address questions. The address under my name is fine
to send it to. I am not keeping anything for personal use and
everything will be used in our MWR / Pool tournament events. I am
printing flyers out now to make sure everyone that wishes to can
participate. I would also like a list of pool hall names / company
names / and individual names who are sending things so that I may give
credit where credit is due. :D

- As far as what to send. We can use anything and from what I can
see so far, you guys are right on. I can't make this a premier pool
room over here but I can certainly make it better than it is
now...Especially with your guys help. I can't stop smiling because
never did I expect or even imagine this kind of response.

Once I get a more stable internet connection I can take some
pictures of the guys here and our "illustrious" pool room. :D

Again, I cannot express through words nor actions how much I and
the billiards community here will appreciate your support.

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC

Sergeant Bekowitz,

God bless you and the men and women serving with you! It is our small way of saying thank you for all the sacrifices you make for us. I know that the freedoms I enjoy are because of people like you. And I never forget that for one minute.

Spec 4 Helfert RA

CarlB
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Again, I cant thank you all enough for the response..it is incredible.

Here are some preliminary Pictures I took after I cleaned up a bit, and rearranged so there was room to shoot.

Tom In Cincy
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Red Chalk.. a must... LOL. two 8 footers.. with red cloth.. I guess given the circumstances.. I would appreciate these also.

I played on some pretty crappy table while I was station in Vietnam in the mid 60s.

You also need some wall decorations.. we'll see what we can do.

Thanks Sgt. for all your time and for doing this for your mates.

Kickin' Chicken
07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
what on earth are you griping about?

you want me to send my tiffany chalk holder? lol !!!

Hey, guys, they really do need our help. Stat! :eek:

As Jay and others have said, God Bless you all for all that you are doing for us.

I do believe we'll be hooking you up.

Best,
Brian kc

CarlB
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
LMAO. good one and thank you guys. You should have seen me using my "tiffany" water levelling device, and my "hoover" quick clean paper towel and brush. :D Oh yeah, i left our gold plated chalk holders, the Fredricks of Hollywood Racks, and our super awesome cue lathe. :D
Ya made me smile Brian, thanks. You all made me and a lot of people smile. The word is spreading and the excitment is building.

Cue-Z
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
LMAO. good one and thank you guys. You should have seen me using my "tiffany" water levelling device, and my "hoover" quick clean paper towel and brush. :D Oh yeah, i left our gold plated chalk holders, the Fredricks of Hollywood Racks, and our super awesome cue lathe. :D
Ya made me smile Brian, thanks. You all made me and a lot of people smile. The word is spreading and the excitment is building.
I'd love to send over a dozen Fingerslides. Do you have a use for these? They are a Palmless Pool Glove. Pictures at www.cuezctc.com

jay helfert
07-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Again, I cant thank you all enough for the response..it is incredible.

Here are some preliminary Pictures I took after I cleaned up a bit, and rearranged so there was room to shoot.

Nice job Sarge! Cool looking rec room. You will be receiving some excellent blue Master chalk from me and others. Throw the red junk away! I wish I had some cues to send you. Maybe someone else does. I did send you some new tips. Sand everything down as flat as possible, light coating of glue on both the tip and the ferrule, wait until it gets tacky, put the tip on, hold it in place for a minute or two and then turn the cue upside down in the corner. The weight of the cue alone will be enough to make the tip take hold. Clean it all up the next day and you have a new cue. Get some scotch brite pads to smooth out the rough shafts on those old cues. It will make them a lot easier to play with.

Jim Baxter
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Red Chalk.. a must... LOL. two 8 footers.. with red cloth.. I guess given the circumstances.. I would appreciate these also.

I played on some pretty crappy table while I was station in Vietnam in the mid 60s.

You also need some wall decorations.. we'll see what we can do.

Thanks Sgt. for all your time and for doing this for your mates.

Hi I got some Red chalk and I'll gather up some other stuff. Thank you guys , we really appreciate what you are doing. Jim

danquixote
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Sgt. Do y'all have Fed-X overnight service available over there. My reason for asking is this. I know when I was in Viet-Nam the most prized care packages were those that contained FOOD. My intention is to send a Memphis BBQ rib dinner to whomever wins this thing. Problem is that the place I will get this from sends orders out on dry ice via Fed x overnight. I'd hate like hell to send this to an APO only to find out it took a week to arrive......Dan

Big_H515
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Sgt. Do y'all have Fed-X overnight service available over there. My reason for asking is this. I know when I was in Viet-Nam the most prized care packages were those that contained FOOD. My intention is to send a Memphis BBQ rib dinner to whomever wins this thing. Problem is that the place I will get this from sends orders out on dry ice via Fed x overnight. I'd hate like hell to send this to an APO only to find out it took a week to arrive......Dan

Don't think this would be the best idea. I'm not sure what the turn around is on mail in Afghanistan, but here in Iraq it takes between 6-9 days and sometimes longer.

CarlB
07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
The only mail I have seen or been told about is regular USPS or Priority Mail. I wouldn't suggest any sort of food, perishable, or especially dry ice...I can just picture it raining and the box starts to smoke...OH goodness the mess. lmao

Awesome idea though.

desi2960
07-02-2010, 06:40 AM
away from home, away from loved ones, but the worst of all, having to play on RED CLOTH.
my cue is in the mail today.

chuck

CocoboloCowboy
07-02-2010, 06:58 AM
CueSight.com is sending some supplies.

It's really too bad that the soldiers have to ask us for donations when the military wastes so much elsewhere. I once worked at a rec center with 50sets of brand new balls and they only had two tables.

A few years ago we did something similar for a company in Iraq.

Edit: this was John posting through Karen's account.

CueSight is one of the company that supports good causes!

Slim Limpy
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM

HouTexPlayer
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I've got a basically new J&J jump/break cue and a couple of month old Dale Perry cue that I had a lot of work done on (ferrule, tip, shaft, etc) - Both cues are on the way to you as a small token of thanks for the sacrifices you're making on our behalf.

I'll put them in the mail tomorrow. Thank you again for everything that you're doing for our country and our friends/families.

danquixote
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Well OK then.....fed-x is out of the question. If you will send me the winners name and mailing addy and his/her rotation date I will be happy to have this BBQ dinner shipped to a stateside addy upon their return. Wish that it could be consumed in country....but what the hell.......Dan

dr_dave
07-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Happy Independence Day!!!

I'll send out a complete set of the "Video Encyclopedia of Pools Shots (VEPS)."

I hope you guys enjoy and benefit from the DVDs.

Regards,
Dave

I will start with confirming the address listed as a perfect place to send it too. I am coordinating and running the billiards here and with everyones generosity, it is going to make a lot of pool players here very happy.

My apologies for not posting faster. I finally got the pages to load far enough that I got registered on the Forums under the name AfghanBilliards as i couldn't remember my previous log in. I was reading through the posting and all I can say is WOW. It is a wonderful and great feeling to see all the people in the community that are willing to help out. It is truly a great feeling and I have already started to spread the word to all the pool players here that soon enough they will be able to actually relax and enjoy playing again.

To answer a few of the questions that I had seen posted.

- Yes to the address questions. The address under my name is fine to send it to. I am not keeping anything for personal use and everything will be used in our MWR / Pool tournament events. I am printing flyers out now to make sure everyone that wishes to can participate. I would also like a list of pool hall names / company names / and individual names who are sending things so that I may give credit where credit is due. :D

- As far as what to send. We can use anything and from what I can see so far, you guys are right on. I can't make this a premier pool room over here but I can certainly make it better than it is now...Especially with your guys help. I can't stop smiling because never did I expect or even imagine this kind of response.

- As to the comment about the pictures...OF COURSE!! :D I have already started to take some of the room as it stands, I can get them uploaded soon, and I would be happy to take pictures of everything in action when we get rolling. Keep everyone posted on how things are going. Pictures are a wonderful idea. Thank you for bringing it up.

Again, I cannot express through words nor actions how much I and the billiards community here will appreciate your support.

**edit** And Holy Crap. This reached Jeanette Lee..I'm telling that story already and no one believes me. :D That is awesome. I once played pool with John Schmidt, but this story by far already surpasses that one. Sorry John. lol. (jk)

**2nd edit** Actually, let me get the current pictures uploaded now and Ill post some in a few.

Thanks Again AZBilliards, and the entire billiard community.

Respectfully and Sincerely

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

12squared
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I have a new Castillo leather chalk holder that holds 3 pieces of chalk (which I will include) to keep your case clean, and a new black shooting glove from HR (Hector Rojas) Pro Products that I picked up at the BCA show that I will send. After seeing you're using foot powder to keeps your hands dry, this may help ;). I will also send 12 Chandivert tips for your cues (cannot remember the model, they are over 20 years old).

Not much but I'm guessing every little bit helps. Happy Independence Day and thanks for all you do for us!

Dave

Williebetmore
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
The only mail I have seen or been told about is regular USPS or Priority Mail. I wouldn't suggest any sort of food, perishable, or especially dry ice...I can just picture it raining and the box starts to smoke...OH goodness the mess. lmao

Awesome idea though.

AB,
I went over some swag with Jeanette Lee. So far she has in mind at least a box of signed cue balls, 50 signed photos, two baby cues. There is lots of other random gear.

Are these things you can use as prizes/giveaways? Any other type of stuff you can think of? I will definitely also send some pool talc/powder. That picture of the foot powder was just WRONG.

CarlB
07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Willie, that stuff sounds amazing and the guys are going to flip thats some of the prized, they are gonna play their butts off for them too. lol.

Dave(12squared): The stuff sounds awesome as well, The gloves are wonderful and with others on the way, I can tell people that we can get rid of our foot powder. lol. I suppose when all else fails, foot powder works. lol.

Dave(dr. Dave): I am working right now on getting a tv and dvd player moved into the room so that we can watch and benefit from the encyclopedia dvds. After a while I will probably give them to a player who either wins or whomever is serious about improving their game.

Happy 4th to everyone at AZB.

Everyone: I was told by someone that I should make sure that I put out that I will continue to post updates on what is recieved and when. I thought I had but I wanted to make sure everyone knows but I will most definately be posting when I receive each piece of mail so that everyone will know. I will also continue taking pictures and posting as much as I can possibly post showing everyones awesome donations in action. I will probably start a separate thread (or keep this one going) as I will take pictures of our winners each week and post them with their prize. :D (thought that would be a nice touch.)

Rest assured, I will be playing as well so they better bring their A game. :D

Please, if anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, ideas, complaints, etc Let me know. Oh, and if anyone needs anything from Afghanistan, let me know too. lol

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R.

Scott Lee
07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow...Go away for a couple days, and a thread like this comes to life! Randyg and I want to send a set of our dvds, Play Better Pool, Vol. 1 & 2. They'll go in the mail, as soon as I get back to MI, from MN. Carl...you are gonna have a boatload of prizes to hand out at your tournaments! Enjoy your stuff, and keep your heads low (all of you)! Come home soon!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

manwon
07-04-2010, 11:38 PM
For those who wish to send items directly to these soldiers, Soldiers Air Mail or (SAM) is the way I have been sending things to Iraq and Afganistan for the last 6 years. I have never had a problem using this to send everything from cues to sets of balls, the unit I retired from in 2003 has had multiple tours of duty and I used this method to help them out with things that they need. I don't know if you can ship using SAM from a Civilian Post office, I have always used the Post Office on Base at FT. Lewis, but I suspect that you can.

Hope this helps

Lazy Ledy
07-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Sheesh... I gotta see about getting a flight to Kabul from Bagram to have a little fun. I'll PM you about tourny days.

freddy the beard
07-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Willie, that stuff sounds amazing and the guys are going to flip thats some of the prized, they are gonna play their butts off for them too. lol.

Dave(12squared): The stuff sounds awesome as well, The gloves are wonderful and with others on the way, I can tell people that we can get rid of our foot powder. lol. I suppose when all else fails, foot powder works. lol.

Dave(dr. Dave): I am working right now on getting a tv and dvd player moved into the room so that we can watch and benefit from the encyclopedia dvds. After a while I will probably give them to a player who either wins or whomever is serious about improving their game.

Happy 4th to everyone at AZB.

Everyone: I was told by someone that I should make sure that I put out that I will continue to post updates on what is recieved and when. I thought I had but I wanted to make sure everyone knows but I will most definately be posting when I receive each piece of mail so that everyone will know. I will also continue taking pictures and posting as much as I can possibly post showing everyones awesome donations in action. I will probably start a separate thread (or keep this one going) as I will take pictures of our winners each week and post them with their prize. :D (thought that would be a nice touch.)

Rest assured, I will be playing as well so they better bring their A game. :D

Please, if anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, ideas, complaints, etc Let me know. Oh, and if anyone needs anything from Afghanistan, let me know too. lol

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R.

Please, if you can, send me a shrunken Taliban head for my game room.

the Beard

If that's unavailable, a bronzed set of Al Queda cods would do nicely.

jay helfert
07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Please, if you can, send me a shrunken Taliban head for my game room.

the Beard

If that's unavailable, a bronzed set of Al Queda cods would do nicely.

Only The Beard! :idea:

PoolSharkAllen
07-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I went to the AZB marketplace, put four Sir Joseph gloves in my shopping cart and got a USPS shipping quote of $25.80, which is the lowest quote available to Afghanistan.

For the folks that want to help out, is there a less expensive way to ship stuff to Afghanistan?

dr_dave
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I went to the AZB marketplace, put four Sir Joseph gloves in my shopping cart and got a USPS shipping quote of $25.80, which is the lowest quote available to Afghanistan.

For the folks that want to help out, is there a less expensive way to ship stuff to Afghanistan?This is not an Afghanistan address:

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

It is treated the same as any US mailing address.

Regards,
Dave

PoolSharkAllen
07-05-2010, 09:44 AM
This is not an Afghanistan address:

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

It is treated the same as any US mailing address.

Regards,
Dave
Perhaps I'm missing something here. In the AZB marketplace, I put in 09356 and got the $25.80 shipping quote, which is the cheapest rate available.

deadwhak
07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something here. In the AZB marketplace, I put in 09356 and got the $25.80 shipping quote, which is the cheapest rate available.

well i work at post office so we have those flat rate boxes..the largest one would cost 12.50 to ship to an apo...not big enuff for a pool cue but can hold a lot of smaller stuff!!! as far as dry ice i saw in a post earlier..cant mail that stuff!

jay helfert
07-05-2010, 10:30 AM

I put a five pound box into a Priority Mail flat rate box and paid $10.70 for shipping. I did this right at my local post office.

justadub
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Some internet companies lower the prices on their merchandise to be attractive, and then make it up on expanded shipping and handling charges. Happens all the time on eBay, too.

I don't know that this is the case with the people you're ordering the gloves from, but it is a possibility.

frankncali
07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I have been gone from AZ for a little while and came back to see this thread.
My brother-in-law is in the same location (i believe) and while he isnt a pool player it makes it have a little more personal feel for me.

I see the game room in the pictures and understand what is needed to play pool but we arent there. So

Is there anything needed that we might not be thinking about?
printed tourney charts?
anything for writing? storage?
domino's? cards?
tip replacement kit?

I'm sure there might be other items that are needed or simply WANTED. Let me know and I will see what I can do.

I am close to LA and familiar with the districts dowtown. I can go down and see about getting larger quantities(more than a few) of needed items. Dominos and other games are extremely cheap there.

Afhgan Billiards???
is there anyway to tell how close you are location wise by looking at this address....
LTC Dennis Griffin
USFOR-A NKC
ATTN: J 3 AIR
APO, AE 09356

He is a good guy. Maybe he can help you with something over there.

frank howe

CarlB
07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Frank, It truely is a small world. While I do not personally know him, The section you have indicated means he works right upstairs from me. I shot him an email and hope to hear back from him soon. As far as the dominos and other game stuff, the MWR here find it easy to get funding/motivation to get that kind of stuff, however, turn their head when I ask for better stuff for the pool room, etc. I am just using a standard paper print out for the tournament brackets and drawing cards for spots.

Tip replacement kits wouldn't be a bad idea. I do know some people mentioned sending tips and such already, but we know how much tips can wear / break on these things.

BTW: The cloth they used is that red cloth you can see in the pictures, it is fuzzy and rolls slow, is there a trick or something I can do to remedy this or at least improve it a little.

Thanks again everyone!!

Cues For A Cure
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
If anyone needs to order anything for afghanistan boys we have free shipping to all Armed Forces addresses. That is just something we do for our soldiers.

Cues For A Cure (http://www.cuesforacure.com)

CarlB
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Frank...got an email back already...here is what he had to say:

***SSG B,
You're right, the longer I stay in the Army the smaller the Army and world seem to get. Frank is my brother in law, he enters pool tournaments throughout the year and is pretty good at it. Frank lives in California and he may be able to get up some things for NKC. I haven't played in quite a while but maybe I'll give a try while I'm here.

All is well with me and thanks for the note.

LTC G***

"Respect for your pool game from halfway across the world, not too bad. :D

SSG B

frankncali
07-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Frank...got an email back already...here is what he had to say:

***SSG B,
You're right, the longer I stay in the Army the smaller the Army and world seem to get. Frank is my brother in law, he enters pool tournaments throughout the year and is pretty good at it. Frank lives in California and he may be able to get up some things for NKC. I haven't played in quite a while but maybe I'll give a try while I'm here.

All is well with me and thanks for the note.

LTC G***

"Respect for your pool game from halfway across the world, not too bad. :D

SSG B

He is an army man through and through and has had a very good army career. Its also been an interesting one. Bosnia he was in charge of
the armys unmanned aircraft (unit)? He was in Korea, Germany for a while and recently was Commander of the United States Army Priority Air Transport Command. I think he has briefed 3 presidents and has worked with several of the generals.
More important to me is that he is a good family man and has three boys at home waiting for his return.
You guys keep your heads low and get back safely!

I will gather up some stuff and send it to you. I will likely add a little something for my BIL in the package.

Frank

PS dont hestiate to ask me or on AZb for anything you guys might need. I think I can speak for several on here that we appreciate everything you guys are going through and would love to help out.

Here is a picture of Dennis .... he is in the middle.
In case you see him "around the office" :D

Kickin' Chicken
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello again, SSG Bekowitz;

Just back from the coop and found something that I think you and the boys will like. And I didn't see any one else make reference to this item in the thread yet, so here goes:

A like new set of Belgian Super Aramith Pro balls, plus a secret bonus for your rec room enjoyment. All will ship out to you today. :thumbup:

Thanks again for all that you men and women do for us and please stay safe.

Best,
Brian kc <----long time ago army Infantry grunt...

Mike in MN
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello again, SSG Bekowitz;

Just back from the coop and found something that I think you and the boys will like. And I didn't see any one else make reference to this item in the thread yet, so here goes:

A like new set of Belgian Super Aramith Pro balls, plus a secret bonus for your rec room enjoyment. All will ship out to you today. :thumbup:

Thanks again for all that you men and women do for us and please stay safe.

Best,
Brian kc <----long time ago army Infantry grunt...

Daaaaamn, Brian! That's pretty awesome. But I gotta know ... What's the secret bonus?!?!?

Kickin' Chicken
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Daaaaamn, Brian! That's pretty awesome. But I gotta know ... What's the secret bonus?!?!?

If you think the balls are awesome, wait 'til you see the bonus.

It is, potentially, a war ending secret weapon that SSG Bekowitz will have to decide if he can share info about. There is a strong likelihood that he will have to obtain some security clearance from S-2 prior to divulging.

Stay tuned! ;)

Best,
Brian kc

CarlB
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
haha Brian. That is awesome and I guess its a good thing that I am the S-2. lol. So I hereby grant myself the clearance. I still am taken back by the responses. Thanks again everyone. There will never be a true way to express how deep my gratitude runs.

SSG B

Williebetmore
07-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks again everyone. There will never be a true way to express how deep my gratitude runs.

SSG B

SSG B,
Obviously the same is true for us....

Rak9up
07-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Remember when you get all this stuff to keep your head down while shooting pool.
Also, when your done playing pool remember to keep your head down while shooting.

Thanks for all your doing be safe
Its appricated more than you know

Williebetmore
07-08-2010, 06:00 AM
AB,
I picked up all of the Jeanette Lee swag for prizes. She definitely wanted the soldiers to know how much she appreciates their efforts, and sends her very best wishes (for those that don't know it she donates several weeks of armed forces exhibitions a year, for as long as I've known her - also last year spent 36 hours on a complicated trip from Asia to LA to Florida to San Diego - little sleep, no hotel just plane seats - got to San Diego went to the player's meeting for the tournament, then WENT TO THE MARINE BASE for an exhibition and challenge matches into the wee hours of morning, slept a few hours, got up, went 2 and out for the first time ever in her career, then went BACK to the Marine base for another round with the soldiers. In my view a very selfless act, but in her view nothing to compare to what the soldiers devote, and she would probably kill me if she knew I even mentioned it on AZB).

14 signed cue balls
2 signed Baby Widow cues and cases
Handful of signed Black Widow shot glasses
1 signed Black Widow shooting glove
1 signed Liquid Wick 2-piece playing cue
1 stack of assorted signed Black Widow photo's
1 stack of embroidered Black Widow beverage holders (??coozies??)

I'll go through Betmore's Basement today and find some more pool gear, hopefully can send it all out tomorrow.

Please let us know some of the tournament results. It would be ultra-cool if there was any sort of straight pool tournament in Afghanistan (JL's favorite game) - could be done with brackets over several weeks with the limited number of tables (average match to 100 points might take 2 hours or so).

Kickin' Chicken
07-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Just an FYI, and as Jay pointed out in an earlier post, shipping out to our military members in Afghanistan via USPS is very reasonable. You have probably heard the post office commercials where they say "if it fits, it ships" referring to their flat rate box service; regardless of weight it's one set price.

What I shipped out went in one of their 'large' flat rate boxes and it cost just twelve bucks and some odd change. Good deal, I think.

Best,
Brian kc
P.S. Jeanette Lee is pure class! Nice going, Williebetmore.

Cue-Z
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Carl, I shipped out the Dozen FingerSlides today. I also includes some Pool Towels for "Prizes" or whatever you want to do with them.
Stay Safe,
Nancy

USPS APO Flat Rates:
Small Flat Rate Box $4.95
Large Flat Rate Box $12.50

CarlB
07-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Jay...got your box man...I am still smiling and laughing a little bit, Major baby powder explosion on the way here. lmfao. I have to pretty much wipe everything down, but everything made it (except the baby powder of course). I am going to play some of these matches that you sent while were playing. :D Powder coated 8-ball key chains :D lol. Spots are already on the table, working on replacing some tips as soon as I can get some glue. I am gonna read your book then pass it on and probably place it in the room for everyone to read. And everything you sent is great (minus the baby powder bomb, hahaha.) Thanks Jay.

jay helfert
07-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Jay...got your box man...I am still smiling and laughing a little bit, Major baby powder explosion on the way here. lmfao. I have to pretty much wipe everything down, but everything made it (except the baby powder of course). I am going to play some of these matches that you sent while were playing. :D Powder coated 8-ball key chains :D lol. Spots are already on the table, working on replacing some tips as soon as I can get some glue. I am gonna read your book then pass it on and probably place it in the room for everyone to read. And everything you sent is great (minus the baby powder bomb, hahaha.) Thanks Jay.

Damn, I should have taped the top of that bottle shut. Sorry Sarge, but it's just powder and won't hurt anything. I'm just glad it got there all right. Took only one week, and that includes July 4th holiday. Not bad.

CarlB
07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Woo hoo, two more deliveries today and JUST in time for our first tournament tomorrow night.
Starkey the cues are awesome man, the sneaky is clean and looks great and the other looks awesome and I actually REALLY like just the look of the wood thread. Gives it a real "solid" impression. Great prizes for the worthy players that win them.
Fred, the dvds are already being watched and just like the others, Ill pass them around to anyone interested in watching them as well. The T-Shirt is great and will go out as a prize as well. Awesome stuff guys, thanks again. and I will continue to post updates as I can.
ALSO: Jay, your book is incredible man, its like I am there with you moving around, playing the games, meeting the people. Very very captivating. :D thanks again.

Ohh, Ill be posting the winners of my tournaments with their pictures on here as well. I will probably start another thread for it though. Keep an eye out. :D

SSG B

Cue-Z
07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Carl,

Let me know if you need more Towels. I can put a name or initials on it for the winner. Also can put 8-Ball 1st Place or something to that effect.

bfdlad
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Woo hoo, two more deliveries today and JUST in time for our first tournament tomorrow night.
Starkey the cues are awesome man, the sneaky is clean and looks great and the other looks awesome and I actually REALLY like just the look of the wood thread. Gives it a real "solid" impression. Great prizes for the worthy players that win them.
Fred, the dvds are already being watched and just like the others, Ill pass them around to anyone interested in watching them as well. The T-Shirt is great and will go out as a prize as well. Awesome stuff guys, thanks again. and I will continue to post updates as I can.
ALSO: Jay, your book is incredible man, its like I am there with you moving around, playing the games, meeting the people. Very very captivating. :D thanks again.

Ohh, Ill be posting the winners of my tournaments with their pictures on here as well. I will probably start another thread for it though. Keep an eye out. :D

SSG B
I saw on the main page of AZ Billiards that the APA had helped out the troops in Afghanistan. Are you the same group that the APA sent things to also? If anyone knows this please let me know, thanks,

CarlB
07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
oh my goodness today was overwhelming. Got quite a few packages and I am so...honored to be a part of a sport and forum community that is this generous. I am overwhelmed with emotion and a pool buddy of mine over here could have said it better when he walked in..."wow" is all he said.

George Huber, got the cues you sent, and while any stick with a tip in tact would be better than what we had, these are perfect for these guys here. Thank you very much.

Diane & Dave, your goodies are awesome and well received and your letter hear-felt, however your apology was non-sense, more smore, lol. the glove and chalk holder are just as liked, desired, and appreciated as a cue, a set of balls, chalk, everything is appreciated more so than you guys realize. They help in a big way. Thank you

Mueller Rec Products, my goodness, chalk holders, resin bags, tip shapers, shaft polishers, and the cues are incredible. absolutely amazing and not expected at all. Thank you very much.

Brian Kickin' Chicken, the Aramith Super-Pro balls are awesome. First 9-ball rack I set up, broke and ran em out. :D Yes, I do think Bat-Boy could kick some butt over here, the book is actually a huge hit and several people have read through it already. Awesome and Thanks.

Freddy the Beard, The DVDs are awesome, there isn't another word that I can use to describe them. I have been banking with the beard since they came in. Banks that dont go, but do has brought my one-pocket game to a new level.

CueSport International, Goodness again, :D Lots-o-Lots of T-shirts, rule books, pins, patches, are all amazing, Already handing them out so people can actually have a reference to the rules and proudly wear the T-Shirts while they play. :D

Everyone, Thank you SOOO very much. Oh and as for the tournament Monday night. The winner was.....me. lol. Some good shooters there but alas, the victor was me. :D I do not award myself prizes when I win, I simply hold onto something for next week. lol. I wouldn't feel right.

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R

will8834
07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I will be sending the cue next week. i am having some shirts made tp send with the cue, the poem in my signature will be on the back. The shirts are supposed to be done next week.

Kickin' Chicken
07-14-2010, 05:12 PM
oh my goodness today was overwhelming. Got quite a few packages and I am so...honored to be a part of a sport and forum community that is this generous. I am overwhelmed with emotion and a pool buddy of mine over here could have said it better when he walked in..."wow" is all he said.

George Huber, got the cues you sent, and while any stick with a tip in tact would be better than what we had, these are perfect for these guys here. Thank you very much.

Diane & Dave, your goodies are awesome and well received and your letter hear-felt, however your apology was non-sense, more smore, lol. the glove and chalk holder are just as liked, desired, and appreciated as a cue, a set of balls, chalk, everything is appreciated more so than you guys realize. They help in a big way. Thank you

Mueller Rec Products, my goodness, chalk holders, resin bags, tip shapers, shaft polishers, and the cues are incredible. absolutely amazing and not expected at all. Thank you very much.

Brian Kickin' Chicken, the Aramith Super-Pro balls are awesome. First 9-ball rack I set up, broke and ran em out. :D Yes, I do think Bat-Boy could kick some butt over here, the book is actually a huge hit and several people have read through it already. Awesome and Thanks.

Freddy the Beard, The DVDs are awesome, there isn't another word that I can use to describe them. I have been banking with the beard since they came in. Banks that dont go, but do has brought my one-pocket game to a new level.

CueSport International, Goodness again, :D Lots-o-Lots of T-shirts, rule books, pins, patches, are all amazing, Already handing them out so people can actually have a reference to the rules and proudly wear the T-Shirts while they play. :D

Everyone, Thank you SOOO very much. Oh and as for the tournament Monday night. The winner was.....me. lol. Some good shooters there but alas, the victor was me. :D I do not award myself prizes when I win, I simply hold onto something for next week. lol. I wouldn't feel right.

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R

Carl;

Glad to hear you received so many nice packages. There has been a good bit of turmoil going on here at AzB land so hearing back from you is a most welcome diversion.

There are a lot of good people on this forum and I know they feel the same as I do, that the honor is all ours to help out in whatever small way we can.

Warmest regards to all of our brave service men and women who are working hard at ensuring our freedom.

Stay safe and good rolls.

Best,
Brian kc

jay helfert
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM

SSG Bekowitz, Carl R

Sarge,

Would love to see photos of your poolroom after you've got all your new goodies in place. Should be pretty cool. I may have to come play some with you guys. Put me on a military jet and I'm there. Should I pack my Colt .38? :)

Spec. 4 Helfert reporting for duty SIR!

jay helfert
07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I will be sending the cue next week. i am having some shirts made tp send with the cue, the poem in my signature will be on the back. The shirts are supposed to be done next week.

Very cool shirt! I'd like to buy one from you. I'd wear it with pride.

12squared
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM

You are more than welcome, Carl, and best of luck with the tournaments. In case you didn't realize, the dozen tips were packed in a baggie and put in one of the fingers of the glove. Please make sure you look for them.

Stay safe!

Dave

Kickin' Chicken
07-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Sarge,

Would love to see photos of your poolroom after you've got all your new goodies in place. Should be pretty cool. I may have to come play some with you guys. Put me on a military jet and I'm there. Should I pack my Colt .38? :)

Spec. 4 Helfert reporting for duty SIR!

I second this, Carl. Pictures would be wonderful.

Jay, your "Colt .38"? lolololol! :grin-square:

Best,
Brian kc

Slim Limpy
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Cue-Z
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Bumping this thread up...

dmgwalsh
07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
I've got a big box of masters chalk in my basement that I don't use. I also have some extra scuffers and I'll look around for other stuff.

Do you want any pool dvds?

what are you playing?

8 ball 9 ball straight pool?

CarlB
07-16-2010, 09:46 PM
dmg,

The tournament we have is 8-ball with modified BCA rules. However, We have a good mix of what guys like to play. Mostly 9-ball and 8-ball. A few 14.1, and I think im the only one who plays bank or one pocket. or any other spectrum of games. I love watching matchs and instructional DVDs as well as playing them in the room while we shoot.

Thanks for the bump Cue-Z. :D

SSG B

sunnyday
07-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Damn, I should have taped the top of that bottle shut. Sorry Sarge, but it's just powder and won't hurt anything. I'm just glad it got there all right. Took only one week, and that includes July 4th holiday. Not bad.

Jay the Powder man :grin:

S.

dr_dave
07-17-2010, 05:39 AM
I love watching matchs and instructional DVDs as well as playing them in the room while we shoot.Have you received VEPS yet? I sent the complete set on July 5, via USPS First Class mail.

I hope you guys enjoy and benefit from the series.

Regards,
Dave

CarlB
07-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Dave,
I have not recieved it as of yet, but like I said, i will continue to update on here as I do. There has been a issue with mail moving around Afghanistan at the moment due to some big conference they are having in Kabul.
I also definately plan on posting pictures of a nice layout, simular to the APA one on the website...except better. :D

Don (Williebetmore): I recieved your package today and everyone in my office was gathered around looking. Everything made it with the exception of 1 signed shot glass. lol. I will have to hide the all the signed stuff from Jeanette Lee in order to make sure they fall into appreciative hands. The first thing out of peoples mouths was, "Wow, thats real ink." lol Truely world class player and everything is awesome. Thanks Don and Thanks Jeanette Lee!!!!

SSG B

Kickin' Chicken
07-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Carl;

Totally enjoying hearing of more packages arriving. Yes, Jeannette Lee is all class, and so is Willebetmore for arranging that.

Regarding Dr. Dave's VEPS series, I will tell you that of all the dvd's available intended to better your shotmaking, this series is the absolute best set to have. Great learning tool.

Best,
Brian kc

poolplayer2093
07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
dmg,

The tournament we have is 8-ball with modified BCA rules. However, We have a good mix of what guys like to play. Mostly 9-ball and 8-ball. A few 14.1, and I think im the only one who plays bank or one pocket. or any other spectrum of games. I love watching matchs and instructional DVDs as well as playing them in the room while we shoot.

Thanks for the bump Cue-Z. :D

SSG B

dude is that picture in your avatar the room you play in? that's an awesome setup!!!!!!!!

you look like you got a hell of a break

CarlB
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
That is Gary's Victor Billiards in Victorville, CA. Not here. lol. I wish. Was a great room though. Lots of good players, great tables, the works. My wife actually snapped that picture without me knowing. :D I like it though. Thanks.

Cue-Z
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Time to BUMP this one up again!

tomgearhart
07-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I agree. Time to bump this up, again.

Cue-Z
07-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Bumping up in hopes of some more updates on pkgs. received.

CarlB
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey again everybody. Internet has been out for a few days so I just got the page up to post some updates. :D

I did recieve the Encyclopedia of Pool Shots as well as one other box from Randy with his pool table cover.

There has been a lot of activity here in the city so mail has slowed a little bit. I will most definately keep posting as I can and updating as things come in. I am still doing the picture but I want to make sure I get as much in the picture as possible. Our picture is simply going to outshine the APA picture. Thats my goal.

SSG B

Klink
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I just want to see some pictures of some smiling soldiers. My brother in-law in on his way over there now. Treat him right please.

I also wish they would give the real soldiers free rein to do their job as they see fit. My biggest nightmare is worrying my grand kids will have to deal with this mess.

So I grant u total impunity for any actions you may take. Just get home safe!

Slim Limpy
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Slim Limpy
07-25-2010, 11:29 PM

will8834
07-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I finally got the shirts will put them in the mail Thursday. The guy who made them made it seem by the way he laid it out that the afgan club is in Evansville ;[
http://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=214&pictureid=3081

http://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=214&pictureid=3080

frankncali
08-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Bumpity bump bump

Also wondering how its going and if my box made it?

Kickin' Chicken
08-06-2010, 04:46 AM
bumping for tourney updates and any other kind of updates you can provide on our brave soldiers. :thumbup:

Hope all is well.

Best,
Brian kc

Cue-Z
08-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Time to BUMP this one up again!!

samurai
08-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I will wait until next week if you happen to be up here this weekend for the One Pocket.. Sat. .. I would be glad to include what you can spare.

Tom,

Please send me a pm with shipping info, I was the referee for the recent Border Battle, US vs Canada, we filmed it at the Trenton Army Air Force base in Trenton, Ontario Canada. I would love to be a part of this and will see what Canadian participation I can get for you.

This is definitely a WORTHY cause, which I will gladly be a part of!

Regards,
Grace Nakamura-Babcock

Ltldebbie
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Folks, I just got the following email from one of our soldiers in Afghanistan. Can any of you help him out? We are making some contacts from our end as well. Send stuff to the address beneath his signature.

AZ Billiards,

I will attempt to keep this short as to not take up too much of
your time. I am currently in Kabul, Afghanistan and I am taking on
running a pool tournament either weekly or semi-weekly in an attempt to
keep up the morale of our soldiers. My reason for writing is that we
are very limited on what I can use in order to make this successful.
Our chalk looks like rocks, cues are long over abused, amongst other
things. My main objective in my search is going to be locating
something to award as prizes.

Any assistance you may be able to offer will be appreciated beyond what
words can express. If you are unable to assist and can direct me to
someone who may be able to, that would also be appreciated. I will go
ahead and stop here so I don't ramble. I eagerly await your response and
wish you all the best.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
SSG Bekowitz, Carl R
USFOR-A NKC
J2E TACDOMEX NCOIC
APO AE 09356

I have 5 unsold new cues. Many people have wanted to buy including local APA 9 player,
I will offer any one of these for a prize. Let me know which cue you want excalibers, vipers,stealth, and one primo hand carved with matching joint protectersl let me know which cue yu'd like.

Ltl Debbie

ps now would be a good time to ship cause I'm moving and packing up anyway.

CarlB
08-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone. Things got busy. :) Here are the pictures resized down of course. I do have the full size copies that are better quality as well. If anyone would like one, PM your email address and which picture you would like.

Thanks again to everyone who helped and to everyone who supports the troops in any way. From a flag on the front yard, to shaking a soldiers hand to say thanks, to sending all of this great stuff to help with our morale assist in ou pool playing in Afghanistan, It all means the world to every one of us.

Thank you all.

Carl

CarlB
08-13-2010, 11:50 PM
A few more. :D

jay helfert
08-14-2010, 12:44 AM
When I see those bare walls, I'm thinking pool posters! What do you think Sarge?
P.S. Who grabbed my copy of Pool Wars? I don't see it on the table. :wink:

CarlB
08-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Ahh crap. Jay...I am reading it. for the second time!! I did my best to get everything out there. It sitting on my desk at the moment. Please please forgive me.

I grabbed what posters I could get my hands on, which happened to be the movie posters in the background. :D

Carl

Thunderball
08-14-2010, 03:28 AM
That is nothing short of simply awesome. Well done AZB. I'm proud to be a member.

12squared
08-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Wow, what a bounty! Thanks for posting the pics and the best to you and the troops.

Dave

Cue-Z
08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Glad to see the (12) FingerSlides, Eagle USA Towel & Gun/Target Towel made it safe and sound. Looks like your well stocked and ready to go. You will find that there are many generous people here on AZB. I appreciated the chance to help. STAY SAFE!!

jay helfert
08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Ahh crap. Jay...I am reading it. for the second time!! I did my best to get everything out there. It sitting on my desk at the moment. Please please forgive me.

I grabbed what posters I could get my hands on, which happened to be the movie posters in the background. :D

Carl

I had a feeling "somebody" was reading it. J/K you! :grin:
Do you have any pool posters? I've got some good ones I can send you.