PDA

View Full Version : Hand Position

CorningPlayer
06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey all

Just wondering how everybody holds their cues. I hold mine pretty far back in my right hand and have the shaft resting on my left thumb without my index over the shaft. tryin to figure out if i should change my style to my advantage and want u alls opinions. and to see what the most common way to hold it is.

SMG
06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I believe what your asking is about your bridge. There are a few bridges that you may want to work with that you can find on youtube and such. For now just go with whatever is comfortable and have a straight consistent stroke.

mnShooter
06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
There are more subtle differences than you can imagine with your bridge and grip hand and they can make a world of difference in your accuracy and how much action you get. I only use one finger and my thumb on my grip hand but there are many variations that work well.

For the bridge hand you'll want a bridge about 10-12" between the tip and where it contacts your hand. Generally open bridge for follow and closed for draw. Make sure there is no room for your shaft to move side to side in your bridge hand.

As for your grip hand your forearm should be vertical when you contact the cueball. Use a light grip. The most important part is to not clench your hand when you make contact with the cueball. Grip pressure should be the same throughout.

measureman
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
There are more subtle differences than you can imagine with your bridge and grip hand and they can make a world of difference in your accuracy and how much action you get. I only use one finger and my thumb on my grip hand but there are many variations that work well.

For the bridge hand you'll want a bridge about 10-12" between the tip and where it contacts your hand. Generally open bridge for follow and closed for draw. Make sure there is no room for your shaft to move side to side in your bridge hand.

As for your grip hand your forearm should be vertical when you contact the cueball. Use a light grip. The most important part is to not clench your hand when you make contact with the cueball. Grip pressure should be the same throughout.

This poster has it nailed pretty good. I find that on very short touch shots I will move my grip hand almost to the top of the grip for more control. The farther back your grip hand is the more chance to wiggle the cue from side to side. But all in all the above advice is very sound.

pooltchr
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM

All good stuff here, although I personally think 10-12 inches is too long...8 inches is usually plenty long enough, and gives a little better control, as long as you adjust your grip hand accordingly....90 degrees at "SET"

Steve

Philthepockets
06-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Some good info here http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/fcsnooker_new/coaching/basics/the_grip.htm

measureman
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
All good stuff here, although I personally think 10-12 inches is too long...8 inches is usually plenty long enough, and gives a little better control, as long as you adjust your grip hand accordingly....90 degrees at "SET"

Steve

I have always shortened the stroke on short shots and stood a little taller and lengthened on long shots and got down a little lower.

Philthepockets
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Not sure the reasoning behind adding variables to what should be methodical, repeatable and consistent mechanics. Apply the KISS rule and as much as possible keep everything the same for all types of shots. You will find more accuracy, control and consistency in this approach.

CorningPlayer
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
changed my brigde style last night and noticed a big difference on my accuracy. now to work on my english some and really start to pull of some good runs.