PDA

View Full Version : Balukas to the US Open 9-Ball....

jackson
07-01-2010, 07:53 PM
In looking over the registered list of players for the US Open 9-Ball Championships on Facebook today....listed was none other than the great Jean Balukas who if I'm not mistaken has not played in a major tournament since the '80's incident with the WPBA....if it's really true that's worth the trip in October...

Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/notes/us-open-9-ball-championships/us-open-9-ball-championships-player-list-as-of-712010/135159076509160

CrownCityCorey
07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
In looking over the registered list of players for the US Open 9-Ball Championships on Facebook today....listed was none other than the great Jean Balukas who if I'm not mistaken has not played in a major tournament since the '80's incident with the WPBA....if it's really true that's worth the trip in October...

Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/notes/us-open-9-ball-championships/us-open-9-ball-championships-player-list-as-of-712010/135159076509160

I am sure she is "invited" by the promoter; however I think there is zero chance she will accept it.

JMS
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I am sure she is "invited" by the promoter; however I think there is zero chance she will accept it.

Corey, the facebook page the list is for players that have registered to play so far. Why did you write that she was invited?

PoolSharkAllen
07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Corey, the facebook page the list is for players that have registered to play so far. Why did you write that she was invited?

She probably was invited, along with many other champion players. However, as you said the player list is of those players who have registered for the event. So it sounds to me like she has accepted the invitation and is going to play.

jay helfert
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
If Jeannie comes they'll be hanging from the rafters!

Cuebuddy
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow I would love to see her play. I know this has been posted before but I love watching it.
http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/10184/Jean_Balukas_on_Ive_Got_A_Secret/

maldito
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Robun Dodson is listed also - do you think she was "invited" - wasn't she the one who lodged a protest that Jean was "sharking" her?? What are the odds if they both play and draw each other? It is tough to come out of retirement and then compete rgardless of how well you played at one time but one never knows - I saw Jean playing Mizerack in an exhibition and saw her win a tournament at Resorts. She really looked good and had a great stroke. If she plays I hope she does well.

CrownCityCorey
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM

She probably was invited, along with many other champion players. However, as you said the player list is of those players who have registered for the event. So it sounds to me like she has accepted the invitation and is going to play.

I would love to see Jean play again; however...

...there is virtually no way she registered. Barry "pays" the entries for former US Open winners. As I understand it, he is honoring the ladies as well this time.

So she may be "registered"; however no way Jean plays - IMO. The final US Open line-up will not have Jean - nor many of the other ladies listed, in it.

Masirib5
07-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Jimmy Reid is also listed and I think he is very ill still.

--Jeff

JB Cases
07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
As I understand it there is a conflict between the US Open on the 17-23rd of September and the Women's World 10 Ball on the 24th of Sep. - 1st of Nov.

These two events being on top of each other will cause some players to skip the US Open just so they have enough travel time to get to the Manila event.

I think that the inclusion of the ladies this year was a surprise to everyone so there was not any time to reschedule either event in deference to the other.

I can guarantee you that at least one lady I know relishes the opportunity to compete for the US Open title but she may have to skip it this year due to this conflict.

nathandumoulin
07-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Wow I would love to see her play. I know this has been posted before but I love watching it.
http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/10184/Jean_Balukas_on_Ive_Got_A_Secret/

It always cracks me up that they couldn't guess what she performed ... meanwhile there's a pool table set up on set 10ft over to the right lol

I'd take one look at that table, assume one of the two kids did something pool related, and make that my first guess.

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 01:01 AM
As I understand it there is a conflict between the US Open on the 17-23rd of September and the Women's World 10 Ball on the 24th of Sep. - 1st of Nov.

These two events being on top of each other will cause some players to skip the US Open just so they have enough travel time to get to the Manila event.

I think that the inclusion of the ladies this year was a surprise to everyone so there was not any time to reschedule either event in deference to the other.

I can guarantee you that at least one lady I know relishes the opportunity to compete for the US Open title but she may have to skip it this year due to this conflict.

Last I heard the Ten Ball event wasn't solid.

Roy Steffensen
07-02-2010, 01:10 AM

It is the Women's 10-ball, not the RAYA-event.

But then again, the women's event has already been postponed/moved earlier this year so I wouldn't be surprised if this event is having problems too...

JB Cases
07-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Not much is these days. :-(

Black-Balled
07-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Robun Dodson is listed also -...What are the odds if they both play and draw each other? ...

Pretty damn good, no?! Especially if they drive together!!!:grin:

sfleinen
07-02-2010, 06:24 AM
It always cracks me up that they couldn't guess what she performed ... meanwhile there's a pool table set up on set 10ft over to the right lol

I'd take one look at that table, assume one of the two kids did something pool related, and make that my first guess.

Nate:

At the opening moments of that video, you'll see that there was no pool table on stage -- at least not in the final position on the stage when Jean starts playing on it. The pool table was probably off back stage to the right ("stage back right" along with the rest of the props for the show), and you might recall that the contestants' desks/booths were on the right side of the main showroom floor. So even if the pool table was set up in the back stage area to the right, those contestants wouldn't be able to see it because of the wall between them and the back stage area. One of them would've had to get up from their desk/booth, walk over to the curtain area / entrance to back stage area, and peer inside, to the right, to be able to see it.

I'm fairly sure none of them saw the pool table, until it was brought out from stage back right. And this would make sense for this show -- since you don't want *any* clues other than the verbal ones given.

-Sean

SCCues
07-02-2010, 06:37 AM

I hope she comes and plays, even if she isn't in top form. I'd love to see her play in a match again. I remember seeing her on ESPN many times including the time she had the problem and was fined by the WPBA, which ended her career.

James

jackson
07-02-2010, 06:47 AM

And hopefully I would be among them.....can you imagine the number of people watching if they streamed it should she be there???....heaven!!!

Jackson

Ken_4fun
07-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I would love to see her play.

Cole Dickson wasnt in top form and he played at the DCC. Keith McCready would be another that is a crowd favorite and would be great if he played too.

Pool isnt like boxing where if they arent in top form they may get knocked into next year, they might go "two and out", but who cares?

Especially if the field isnt full.

Once the field gets full, then I can see the other side if someone that isnt competitive is taking a spot where someone is denied that has a legitimate shot at winning.

JMO,

Ken

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I would love to see her play.

Cole Dickson wasnt in top form and he played at the DCC. Keith McCready would be another that is a crowd favorite and would be great if he played too.

Pool isnt like boxing where if they arent in top form they may get knocked into next year, they might go "two and out", but who cares?

Especially if the field isnt full.

Once the field gets full, then I can see the other side if someone that isnt competitive is taking a spot where someone is denied that has a legitimate shot at winning.

JMO,

Ken

Can you just imagine if Jeannie came out of retirement after over twenty years and went deep in the tournament. People all over the pool world would be going crazy! I've seen stranger things happen.

kvinbrwr
07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Can you just imagine if Jeannie came out of retirement after over twenty years and went deep in the tournament. People all over the pool world would be going crazy! I've seen stranger things happen.

Tom Watson almost winning The British Open last year was pretty strange.
Balukas playing and winning some would cause quite a stir.

Thanks

Kevin

allprobilliards
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Jackson

if Jean does play that would be truly historic!

Ken_4fun
07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
There has to be someone on this board that knows her well enough to give her a call.

Ken

iusedtoberich
07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
She is not playing. Neither is Sigel, Hall, etc. Every year Barry publishes this list that includes past champions because they have free entry. And every year threads like this are started because the lists ARE deceiving. But no, they are not going to play. I'll bet on it.

Eric.
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I won't begin to speak for Jean. I will say that she never practices, but does play occasionally. She used to play in her in house tournament once a month. She had the ability to walk in, screw together and play at a fairly high level with no practice. Apparently, once a month keeps her at a fairly high level. I wonder what she would play like if she practiced every day.

BTW, there are only two American women that break like thunder:

Jean Balukas and Sarah "grumpy munchkin :p " Rousey.

Eric

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
She is not playing. Neither is Sigel, Hall, etc. Every year Barry publishes this list that includes past champions because they have free entry. And every year threads like this are started because the lists ARE deceiving. But no, they are not going to play. I'll bet on it.

I just saw the draw and Sigel is playing Balukas in the first round! You better get your tickets now. The place is almost sold out! ;)

oldzilla
07-02-2010, 09:09 AM

I didn't want to be a killjoy, but this is correct !

I just saw the draw and Sigel is playing Balukas in the first round! You better get your tickets now. The place is almost sold out! ;)

This is much more amusing ! lol I got front row tickets for sale. paypal me 99 dollars for each one you want.

robleyf7
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Can.t Wait too see her play again

mosconiac
07-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Doesn't Barry all HOF members on the list every year? Maybe with free entry?

nathandumoulin
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Nate:

At the opening moments of that video, you'll see that there was no pool table on stage -- at least not in the final position on the stage when Jean starts playing on it. The pool table was probably off back stage to the right ("stage back right" along with the rest of the props for the show), and you might recall that the contestants' desks/booths were on the right side of the main showroom floor. So even if the pool table was set up in the back stage area to the right, those contestants wouldn't be able to see it because of the wall between them and the back stage area. One of them would've had to get up from their desk/booth, walk over to the curtain area / entrance to back stage area, and peer inside, to the right, to be able to see it.

I'm fairly sure none of them saw the pool table, until it was brought out from stage back right. And this would make sense for this show -- since you don't want *any* clues other than the verbal ones given.

-Sean

Sean,

You're definitely right! They must have brought the table in during commercial break, or had it obscured from view.

Good call. :)

cleary
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Could be a good media story as well. And not pool media.

pbat2751
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I won't begin to speak for Jean. I will say that she never practices, but does play occasionally. She used to play in her in house tournament once a month. She had the ability to walk in, screw together and play at a fairly high level with no practice. Apparently, once a month keeps her at a fairly high level. I wonder what she would play like if she practiced every day.

BTW, there are only two American women that break like thunder:

Jean Balukas and Sarah "grumpy munchkin :p " Rousey.

Eric

The internets love the Grumpy Munchkin

peteypooldude
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I would rather see Jean in a tourny she stood a chance in,her in the open is not going to do anything but make her look like she is playing worse than she probably is.

Cornerman
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm glad we got to see Jean at the US Open in Chesapeake last year.

Fred

robleyf7
07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I would rather see Jean in a tourny she stood a chance in,her in the open is not going to do anything but make her look like she is playing worse than she probably is.

well we all don.t know if shes shooting the same better or worse

an i think she has just a good chance then any other women champion player or better

an she did quit for 20+years so she might shoot worse or better we don.t know till we see her shoot

Robley *AKA AZB Horse 2010*

Johnnyt
07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
well we all don.t know if shes shooting the same better or worse

an i think she has just a good chance then any other women champion player or better

an she did quit for 20+years so she might shoot worse or better we don.t know till we see her shoot

Robley *AKA AZB Horse 2010*

There are plenty of players from NYC that know how she shoots now. Johnnyt

jackson
07-02-2010, 02:18 PM
There has to be someone on this board that knows her well enough to give her a call......

Ken

.....and beg!!!

Jackson;)

jackson
07-02-2010, 02:22 PM

With the focus and talent that woman has any tourney she would enter she'd have a chance of winning....imo....

Jackson

nathandumoulin
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
With the focus and talent that woman has any tourney she would enter she'd have a chance of winning....imo....

Jackson

I think that's the point though (focus). She barely plays anymore. How focused could she possible be?

jackson
07-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Aw now Jay whyja have ta let the cat out of the bag?!?!?......

Jackson:rolleyes:

robleyf7
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Aw now Jay whyja have ta let the cat out of the bag?!?!?......

Jackson:rolleyes:

i so can.t wait i might spend some of my Vegas money too watch this :O can.t pass this up now can i :D

JMS
07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Jimmy Reid is also listed and I think he is very ill still.

--Jeff

He is also a past US Open champ. He gets free paid entry every year. I think thats why he is on the list.

Pushout
07-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Doesn't Barry all HOF members on the list every year? Maybe with free entry?

Past US Open winners or at least that is the way it used to be. HOF, no, unless that's changed. Sorry, I read your post too fast. I know it's past winners get free entry.

bignasty
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
she still plays a local weekly tourny i talked to somebody in her room about doing an interview with her and she said that jean still plays her weekly event qwite often! hey jay question for you! how do you think she would do with her big break in an event like barrys tourny?:rolleyes:

Jerry Yost
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Is it any wonder that they have never been photographed together??????

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
she still plays a local weekly tourny i talked to somebody in her room about doing an interview with her and she said that jean still plays her weekly event qwite often! hey jay question for you! how do you think she would do with her big break in an event like barrys tourny?:rolleyes:

If you're talking about the Open, she would be like all the other top women players, capable of winning matches but underdogs to go deep. I like Karen and Allison's chances a lot more today. They are tournament tough players, who have never taken an extended layoff.

Tony_in_MD
07-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Jay, those two ladies are great players, however do you think the tourney format...

Break from Box
Longer Races
Tight Tables
Lot's more great players each and every round than a regional tour or a WPBA or Turning Stone event...

Will keep Karen and Allison from going deep?

If you're talking about the Open, she would be like all the other top women players, capable of winning matches but underdogs to go deep. I like Karen and Allison's chances a lot more today. They are tournament tough players, who have never taken an extended layoff.

pt109
07-03-2010, 07:14 AM
It would be nice to see Jean play whether she wins or not.
Also Lori Shampo.I think she was the toughest female for
the cash in her day.
Although J-Lee was impressive at the DCC.

But my pick for best lady finish at the Open is Karen Corr....
...i swear she plays a ball better on the Joss tour than she does
in the WPBA.
...oops..forgot that Austrian chick

jay helfert
07-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Jay, those two ladies are great players, however do you think the tourney format...

Break from Box
Longer Races
Tight Tables
Lot's more great players each and every round than a regional tour or a WPBA or Turning Stone event...

Will keep Karen and Allison from going deep?

I don't think any of these things affect them any more than anybody else. They are both quality players.

jay helfert
07-03-2010, 08:00 AM
It would be nice to see Jean play whether she wins or not.
Also Lori Shampo.I think she was the toughest female for
the cash in her day.
Although J-Lee was impressive at the DCC.

But my pick for best lady finish at the Open is Karen Corr....
...i swear she plays a ball better on the Joss tour than she does
in the WPBA.
...oops..forgot that Austrian chick

Unfortunately, Lori Shampo passed away over ten years ago. Her fast life style was her downfall.

pt109
07-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately, Lori Shampo passed away over ten years ago. Her fast life style was her downfall.

I'm so sorry to hear that.
Sometimes too much courage puts you in danger.

Pushout
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Absolute crying shame. Lori was one of the most competitive players among the women. She gave Jean a run for her money a time or two, IIRC.

Ken_4fun
07-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Jay -

Do you have any videos or anything from Lori?

I know you get sick of me posting, but you seem to have basement full of stuff....

You never cease to amaze me with all the stories and stuff.

Ken

Fatboy
07-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Sadly I think your correct as in 10,000% correct. It would be one of the greatest things to happen in pool and for pool, in many many years and if she won it-that would be perhaps the greatest achievement in the last 100 years in pool, unless of course I win it. :thumbup: I'll have to work out a saver with her as she intimidates the hell out of me-and I dont like my chances.:wink:

I have only introduced myself to her once however she has been a hero to me in pool forever, not only because of her game but her principals. I admire her for many many reasons and I truely hpes she plays. Its great we have the girls playiny this year. Its long over due. I believe the US Open should be a "Open" event. Now having a US Mens open and a US Ladies open would be 2 other fine events where they are open to the sex of the event-I said "Sex event" (think Bevis and Butt head):grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

I will be there either way, if she does chose to play can you imagine how hard it would be to get seat to see the table she plays her matches on???

Jean Vs. Jasmin in the finals-wow, that would be rail talk forever. Its a long shot but it sure feels good to think of that sceniro. Oh yeah I have to take 3rd in that case ;)

jay helfert
07-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Jay -

Do you have any videos or anything from Lori?

I know you get sick of me posting, but you seem to have basement full of stuff....

You never cease to amaze me with all the stories and stuff.

Ken

Zero on Lori. She was a great 9-Ball player, just as good as Jeannie. More into gambling than tournaments though. She was the female version of Keith. Lori played a lot like Jasmin, "man style" pool. If you know what I mean.

JMS
07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Here is a good article on Jean. It was written in November 2009. In it she hints about playing in another major tournament.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/the_greatest_jean_balukas_pool_legend_s6mM2pQGWQG0 zqmsep3CEM

jay helfert
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Here is a good article on Jean. It was written in November 2009. In it she hints about playing in another major tournament.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/the_greatest_jean_balukas_pool_legend_s6mM2pQGWQG0 zqmsep3CEM

Sheeee's backkkkk!!! :happydance:

robleyf7
07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sheeee's backkkkk!!! :happydance:

i hope she starts playin serious again an not just 1 major tournament i wish her the best of luck :D:thumbup:

backplaying
07-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Jay,i would like a honest opinion from you.When you played your top speed how would you have matched up with a women player like JL? What type of weight could you have given her? Remember she got beat getting the 8 playing 10 ball from Richy Rich. P.S. Liked your book.What the pool world has always needed is 20 more like you and it might have went somewhere.

pt109
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Zero on Lori. She was a great 9-Ball player, just as good as Jeannie. More into gambling than tournaments though. She was the female version of Keith. Lori played a lot like Jasmin, "man style" pool. If you know what I mean.

Early 80's I was going with a girl who had Olympic swimming ability.
She claimed she was the muscle in our relationship.
She watched Lori ,in Detroit,take it down for a few thousand.
She said "That's the toughest broad i've ever seen."

This same girl claimed we had an illiterate relationship....
,,,,she was literate and i was ill

jay helfert
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Jay,i would like a honest opinion from you.When you played your top speed how would you have matched up with a women player like JL? What type of weight could you have given her? Remember she got beat getting the 8 playing 10 ball from Richy Rich. P.S. Liked your book.What the pool world has always needed is 20 more like you and it might have went somewhere.

Years back I honestly feel that I could beat any women player at One Pocket or Bank Pool and probably at 9-Ball for money too. I did lose to Robin Bell in a tournament, but that's a little different. Of course this was before the modern era of women's pool.

After they started the WPBA Tour and all the great women players emerged, things began to change. For a long time I still thought I would have the best of it at One Pocket or Banks. This is no longer the case. Forget about 9-Ball, I couldn't beat any of the top fifteen or twenty women at that game now. Even at my two best games, ladies like Jeanette and Vivian would clean my clock and I know it.

I used to battle with Ming when she was on tour back some 8-10 years ago. She was consistently in the top twenty women and ranked as high as #16. We would practice together playing Races To Nine, just like they play on tour. I had to play my 'A' game to beat her and if she played her 'A' game it was real close. She would win a set and then I would win a set. After three or four sets we would both be worn out, but Ming was ready for any woman after that. And she won her share of matches against the top name players. She is still a dominant force in amateur women's pool.

backplaying
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Jay,i hope your not saying you would have had no chance in your prime playing the current top 15 women players in the world.You was not in your prime ten yrs ago.

Pushout
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Later on JoAnn Mason reminded me of both of them. She also played with a mans intensity, form, and style. Maybe not in the same league talent wise but she could play.