PDA

View Full Version : What Best Describes Your Attraction to Pool?

JAM
07-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Whether you're a pool enthusiast, railbird, industry member, social shooter, tournament soldier, weekend warrior, professional player, hustler, gambler, or a lemonade man, there must be something about pocket billiards that keeps you coming back for more. :)

In the year 2010, pool just isn't a good spectator sport, attracting large masses of viewers, whether on TV, Internet, or in person. This is unfortunate but true. :frown:

Of course, there's exceptions to this school of thought. Some may enjoy partaking in a little side action on the outcome of a match, and others may have enough spare time in their lives to sweat pool for long durations, as that's what some pool races/matches end up being, especially the ahead games. :grin-square:

Watching abbreviated pool on TV isn't much fun when portions are cut out, but that's how it is on TV. Matches are edited because the media people, like ESPN, think it's just too much content to hold the attention of mainstream viewers. :D

It would be interesting to find out the demographics of the pool culture, at least as it pertains to the readers of AzBilliards discussion forum. I'm not sure how statistically significant it is or what the plus/minus ratio is. :embarrassed2:

If I've left out a category and you want to describe the reason you like pool, please share! :p

The Schwartz
07-02-2010, 05:18 AM
I think the best word for it is sadistic. When I'm seeing the ball the way I should, I love to torture my opponent with nasty defenses. Masochistic is a better word for when I'm not shooting well. I torture myself.

JAM
07-02-2010, 05:31 AM
I think the best word for it is sadistic. When I'm seeing the ball the way I should, I love to torture my opponent with nasty defenses. Masochistic is a better word for when I'm not shooting well. I torture myself.

LOL! :grin-square: Yep, I know exactly what you mean. :smile:

When I used to hit 'em and was hitting 'em well, I remember experiencing this odd sensation sometimes mid stroke. :p

It was midway, between the beginning of the swing and the actual hit on the cueball. If the ball went in, I felt this brief draft of wind in my swing. If I missed the pocket, that draft of wind wasn't there. :sad:

There's no better high in the world than when you're running out with ease. That's for sure! :cool:

The Schwartz
07-02-2010, 05:38 AM
I swear, pool and golf are both simultaneously some of the most frustrating and rewarding activities a person can do. I love it.

Fast Lenny
07-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey Jennie! I would say I am a pool enthusiast, I am a B player looking to move up to an A player in a couple years. I love the game so much and just want to do what I can to give something back and that is why I do live streaming 5 times a month. I do stuff in the industry but I cannot say its a biz for me, just a hobby that is taking up too much of my time, lmao. The best is all the good people I have met such as yourself and others, its really a pleasure. :smile:

JAM
07-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Hey Jennie! I would say I am a pool enthusiast, I am a B player looking to move up to an A player in a couple years. I love the game so much and just want to do what I can to give something back and that is why I do live streaming 5 times a month. I do stuff in the industry but I cannot say its a biz for me, just a hobby that is taking up too much of my time, lmao. The best is all the good people I have met such as yourself and others, its really a pleasure. :smile:

Wow! So, Lenny, you're a player, a pool enthusiast, a hobbyist, an industry member, and a railbird all wrapped up in one! :thumbup:

You're very fortunate that you are out there enjoying your pool passion as much as you do. :smile:

I'm a mere railbird today, but I used to play socially, stake players, and gamble if I was given the nuts. :grin-square:

tom mcgonagle
07-02-2010, 05:58 AM
I love playing because at the end of the day, I'm the one that determines my own fate.

I don't have teammates to blame or coaches to blame.

I'm my own offensive and defensive coordinator.

It's me against my opponents and may the best person, at that particular time, be the winner.

When I'm at the table, executing shots and my cue-ball is listening to my commands, there's not many feelings I've experienced, better than running out rack after rack.

Johnnyt
07-02-2010, 05:59 AM
1) Family 2) Pool 3) Everything else. Johnnyt

LC3
07-02-2010, 06:11 AM
My attraction to the game started as a boy when my father put a table in the basement. Once I started pocketing balls with some consistency, I was bitten. The finesse, the mastery of angles and friction, ... I've yet to get achieve that mastery (I'm working on it), but it's just a beautiful thing to see when it's done well. Even competition for me isn't so much about defeating my opponent, but about playing the table better than s/he does.

Tramp Steamer
07-02-2010, 06:43 AM
How can I express in words the true existentialist passion that I have for pocket billiards. The almost poetic movement of the cue ball as it spins over the grass green cloth, colliding, and caroming from one object ball to the next, as if in a dance. To hear, and feel the thunderous explosion of the break, as ball after ball escapes the caos of the storm by seeking refuge in the far reaches of the table. Then, if one's senses were not hightened enough, witness the dichotomy of that destruction by the soft kiss of the cue ball as it gently carresses a cushion and moves up table to a safer position.
Mere words cannot describe, nor paint an even marginally adequate picture of how I feel about pocket billiards.
I like golf to. I used to play alot of golf. Golf's cool. :smile:

BillPorter
07-02-2010, 06:56 AM
In my retirement years, pool has given me "something to do." I've played on and off since I was 20 and even though I'm probably only a B- player at best, when I am playing well and I drop down on a shot, I don't feel all 68 of my years, I am just shooting the shot, just about like I did 48 years ago.

And beyond it being a game that you can play even in old age, there are other elements that have attracted me from time to time. I was a bit of a photography buff back in the 1980s and enjoyed the challenge of photographing pool tournaments. More recently, I've had fun using computers to scan and edit negatives from those tournaments.

Pool plus the Internet has connected or reconnected me to some pool world people, so I'll add that to the things that have attracted me to pool.

Shaft
07-02-2010, 07:17 AM
I am an addicted C/B player who has a table at home.

To me, pool is an instant vacation. Whether I am playing for 10 minutes or an hour, I am oblivious of everything else during that time.

I get instant gratification everytime a ball drops - even better if I get position.

I am like the lab rat endlessly pressing that lever for more food.

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 07:39 AM
For me it's like seeing a shiny new Mercedes convertible with a pretty girl in it, and she is waving at me to get in. Every time I get close to the car she pulls slowly away from me. Not too far away, just enough so I can't quite catch up to her. Then she smiles and waves again and beckons me to come on.

I've been chasing that damn car and the girl for over forty years now. I sure wish she would run out of gas or something. :thumbup:

BobTfromIL
07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Pool is a huge element in my life, playing, watching or thinking about it is almost addictive, got to have my pool fix. I also am retired and find it one thing that you can still do as you get older. Knowing that you'll never be as good as you might once have been is difficult but the days when thing go great are certainly special.

CamposCues
07-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Skill and competition.

A.J. DeAngelo
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=JAM;2493334]Whether you're a pool enthusiast, railbird, industry member, social shooter, tournament soldier, weekend warrior, professional player, hustler, gambler, or a lemonade man, there must be something about pocket billiards that keeps you coming back for more. :)

To a man, every enthusiast I know was captivated as soon as he saw a table, the balls, their sound and movement. Pool isn't an acquired taste, IMO, but something that hits you on an elemental level.
Carping about it not going mainstream is futile. It will always be a subculture, in the U.S. at least. It's interesting to note, however, that the net has made it more accessable. What would Greenleaf think of the available instruction, and the ability to live-stream matches and save them for posterity on You Tube? What would Don Willis think of his total inability to go undetected in any town in America?

Fast Lenny
07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
To a man, every enthusiast I know was captivated as soon as he saw a table, the balls, their sound and movement. Pool isn't an acquired taste, IMO, but something that hits you on an elemental level.
Carping about it not going mainstream is futile. It will always be a subculture, in the U.S. at least. It's interesting to note, however, that the net has made it more accessable. What would Greenleaf think of the available instruction, and the ability to live-stream matches and save them for posterity on You Tube? What would Don Willis think of his total inability to go undetected in any town in America?

You make a good point how things have changed. In my opinion it is for the better. There are more good players now then ever IMO, people are coming up in ability right out of the gate because the knowledge is spread more freely now. I talked to someone about Jack Cooney and how he probably could not do all he did in this day and age. I am not saying someone could not pull down big scores hustling and laying it down, perhaps I am wrong and someone like Jack could do it as he is super sharp and dedicated. I think its great we get to see how great our players of today are as opposed to hearing about it. I love the stories but a video to go along with the stories is the nuts. :smile:

Tramp Steamer
07-02-2010, 08:26 AM
For me it's like seeing a shiny new Mercedes convertible with a pretty girl in it, and she is waving at me to get in. Every time I get close to the car she pulls slowly away from me. Not too far away, just enough so I can't quite catch up to her. Then she smiles and waves again and beckons me to come on.

I've been chasing that damn car and the girl for over forty years now. I sure wish she would run out of gas or something. :thumbup:

Hey, Jay. Where I come from we dangle a carrot in front of a mule. :smile:

pt109
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
As a young golfer.i played scratch...sometimes...
I also was a decent chess player....sometimes...
And i had a comtemplative nature....always...
So when i walked into a pool hall,at the age of 17,i felt like a
homeless kid that had just discovered his parents.

My first shot was scooping whitey onto the floor.
I lost $40 to a guy i always bar-b-cued on a golf course.
For a week after i would go the pool hall after school and
watch the best players,intently and quiet as a mouse.
The owner,God bless him,recognized my enthusiasm and respect
and gave me a back table to practise on,gratis.
Within a month i started thinking of myself as a pool player who
could play golf.

But i'm not absolutely hooked....i'm giving it maybe another 30...
uh,make that 40,years,and that's it....
...maybe i'll try scuba diving...

vagabond
07-02-2010, 10:19 AM

You are a sucker for Pretty girl or mercedes convertable or both?:thumbup:

Tom In Cincy
07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
The story tellers... pool has TONs of them... doesn't even matter if the stories are true or not.. or even if they are told over and over with different endings or characters.

The crucial shots in a game. How the I react to them or how others react to them.. I like that action.

Showing off. Making that crucial shot when it matters and hearing the roar or gasp off the rail that comes when the shot is made.

Seeing two gamblers matching up for huge bucks.. not just $20.. but for $10,000 ... how it all becomes a church.. no one talks.. only the ever so quiet whisper of the rail bird with his hand over his mouth like his is directing the sound to only your ear... sharing his expertise of what the next shot will need...

Watching that C player make that shot you shared with him to win a match, and then that player turns around to see if you were watching... that is a good feeling.

Running a tournament and have the majority of the players thank you for running such a good tournament and quickly letting them know that it is them that make a good tournament possible.

Seeing owners keep equipment and added money a huge priority in their business. Seeing the same owners take pride when the customers compliment them on having such a wonderful room.

Hand shaking between players at the start of a match. Somehow that just seems to go above and beyond the regular salutations/greetings...

Players saying 'good luck' or 'play well' before a match.

Tight pockets that make the playing field challenging.

New cloth. Love to play on new cloth. IMO one of the best allures of the game. Shots just respond so much better and you can stay closer to Center when you hit the cue ball and get the same results (as you would expect on old cloth)

The Derby City Classic
The US Open 9 Ball
Anything Mark Griffin offers to Pool Players

Just a few of my favorite things...

houmatroy
07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Back in the old days it was the easiest way to make chunks of money..."legally"lol....now it's just to satisfy the competetive spirit !:smile:

MN Kid
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
The people I play and associate with. Kinda like these people:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=192559

RG

greyghost
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Terrified, Petrified, Mortified, Stupefied, Confounded, Mesmerized

Head over heels, live, sleep, eat & and do number 1&2, even when i tie my shoe I think about the game.

Its beautiful
honest
insane
shocking
gritty
grimey
sublime
undercover

It's the duality of the game
it'll get you in like flynn or stuck like chuck....
when they lay right we call it a duck....
when they lay wrong onlookers say your ******:thumbup:

NewStroke
07-02-2010, 10:52 AM
To me it's the fame and fortune, but most of all it's the POWER!!!

12310bch
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
The hot chicks crawling all over me, the gobs of easy money, and
the respect of the community at large. :rotflmao1:

Oh! Don't let me forget the pretty sticks.

ThePoliteSniper
07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Perfectionist

DogsPlayingPool
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I enjoy the challenge of both the game and the competition, and I find it meditative.

ShootingArts
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I started out as perhaps the world's worst pool player. I stunk, stank, stinked, wuz just plain terrible on a table. Being in my mid-teens and highly competitive I focused on pool for many hours a week. After six months I was an OK player in a bar. After two years I was an OK player most anywhere. Unfortunately somewhere along the line pool became a cash cow and the money became the main appeal. I loved tough competition but I liked easy money more so while I would chase somebody awhile if they beat me I never went to much effort seeking tough competition. That was the pattern for over a decade. Horses, wife, kids, sidetracked me for awhile, with them all gone I don't have anything to do and the competitive spirit is still there. I like pool and there is a simple pleasure in hitting pool balls but right now it is just a convenient way to compete with myself and others. I don't have a decent pool hall nearby and I'm starting to feel the pull to move on again. Poker, pistols, rifles, who knows? I'm done with ponies and race cars.

As you can see my attraction to pool was caused by different things over the years. Financing my drinking and partying had a lot to do with it in my teens and early twenties. :D

Hu

Whether you're a pool enthusiast, railbird, industry member, social shooter, tournament soldier, weekend warrior, professional player, hustler, gambler, or a lemonade man, there must be something about pocket billiards that keeps you coming back for more. :)

In the year 2010, pool just isn't a good spectator sport, attracting large masses of viewers, whether on TV, Internet, or in person. This is unfortunate but true. :frown:

Of course, there's exceptions to this school of thought. Some may enjoy partaking in a little side action on the outcome of a match, and others may have enough spare time in their lives to sweat pool for long durations, as that's what some pool races/matches end up being, especially the ahead games. :grin-square:

Watching abbreviated pool on TV isn't much fun when portions are cut out, but that's how it is on TV. Matches are edited because the media people, like ESPN, think it's just too much content to hold the attention of mainstream viewers. :D

It would be interesting to find out the demographics of the pool culture, at least as it pertains to the readers of AzBilliards discussion forum. I'm not sure how statistically significant it is or what the plus/minus ratio is. :embarrassed2:

If I've left out a category and you want to describe the reason you like pool, please share! :p

LAlouie
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
"masochistic"

JoeW
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
To describe my attraction to pool requires a description of me becasue my life is defined by the things that get and hold my attention:
1. A personal challenge to become the best I can with out regard for what others think.
2. A complicated problem that requires physical and mental skill.
3. A long term goal and all the learning that is required to achieve that goal.

And now in my retirement years I also need to lower my expectations for what I can physically accomplish.

I suppose that when I can run 100 in 14.1 I will lose interest. Ain't going to happen any time soon. :sorry:

pooltchr
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I guess I'm a little bit of all of them. I'm an instructor, so I guess that means I'm in the industry. I enjoy playing, so I guess I'm a player. And I enjoy watching a good match, so I'm also a railbird.

My passion for the game comes from the feeling I get when I can figure out what I want the balls to do, and then see it happen. I look at a game of pool as a series of puzzles. Each shot is just one piece, and to be successful, you have to put all the pieces in the right places. When it happens like it is supposed to, it is a thing of beauty. When it doesn't, it gives you something to work on.

Steve

Kid Dynomite
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Jennie,

You know me very well! I had limited success as a Junior playing such greats as Dennis Hatch, Max Eberle, Charlie Williams & others. I realized early on that pro pool could not support me accordingly and I had to pick up some college books. Now, I work and play once a week and a major tournament once a year.

So, I am not a road hustler! I am not a rail bird! I am not a pro! I guess I am a weekend warrior and proud of it. Plus, my kids appreciate my sacrifice and career decisions that keep me at home right where they need me.

Its kind of hard to walk away from something when you are so close to its highest level. I like most of us pool players, believe that world championship level play is just around the corner and one lesson or one cue/equipement change away. Just stay away from the a$$ weights and tennis tape. Earl the pearl debunked those myths for us. Thanks Earl! Your the greatest!!!!!!!

Kid
Dynomite

SMG
07-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I play because it's a lot easier to play than skateboard when your high. THE END.

p.s. and it takes stress away so i don't kill my girlfriend

Measle Ball
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
...I am attracted to pool, though it began at a very young age. I had an aunt and uncle who lived near the I-90 floating bridge in Seattle (the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Floating Bridge to be more precise) and they had a pool table upstairs. I just fell in love with the game, and in my early teen's to mid-20's I simply couldn't get enough of it- pool was like a Schedule I controlled substance to me.

And for some very odd reason that desire is coming back like gangbusters!

So for me it's awfully hard to describe my attraction in a single word... however, if there was one couple I know of which I would say truly modeled my attraction toward pool to the letter, it would be Ebenezer and Florence.

Baby PacMan
07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Asking why I like pool is like asking why I like the color green, I don't know. And both are something that I've liked since I was a child. It's something that is a default setting in my brain. I've been in awe of the game as far back as I can remember. I remember passing by the local pool hall as a child, and wonder what went on in there. I knew it wasn't a place for kids, which added to the allure.

I was too poor to have a pool table growing up, and put it aside for through my teenhood. But once I bought my own house as an adult, I put a table in it, and connected with what I remember as a child. For me, it's a way to reconnect to my childhood. I want to pass this on to my son, to give him a small part of the childhood things I never had.

bignasty
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
great thread. my love for the game is becouse it is such a simple concept that is so hard to master! the game is the puriest sport on the planet i think! its the only game that both players can play perfect and 1 has to lose! and the game itself is just pure, cue ...balls....pockets... i mean its pure its fun its challenging and yet its got the frustration level of any other game also! i beleive its the best game becouse the cue never knows who is stroking it and the balls dont know who hit um! and the more i play the more i respect the ABILITY of the pros men and women!its a game that we all can compete at and we can do 50% of the same things as our heros of the past and today on the table. But its the other 50% that frustartae us and keep us coming back to the game! i often watch the younger c players play and watch them laugh and i find myself jealous of them! becouse its just a game to them! and i miss that! great thread jam!:thumbup: as for your answer i am a lover of the game, on the table!

Roy Steffensen
07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I just love the game, can't explain why.

I also love to compete, and what is most important to me today is travelling and meeting other with the same passion.

I feel blessed having a hobby that allows me to become friends within seconds with people, no matter where in the world I go.

I love the pool-family, and I am proud of being a part of it

jay helfert
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I just love the game, can't explain why.

I also love to compete, and what is most important to me today is travelling and meeting other with the same passion.

I feel blessed having a hobby that allows me to become friends within seconds with people, no matter where in the world I go.

I love the pool-family, and I am proud of being a part of it

We love you too Roy, especially your One Pocket game. :grin:

Roy Steffensen
07-02-2010, 05:58 PM
We love you too Roy, especially your One Pocket game. :grin:

Regarding my one-pocket game, I am just setting up action. Raise the bet and you'll see ;)

rayjay
07-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Good question and hard for me to answer. I think I like the aesthetics of it because there are so many different subtle bits of beauty, I like the stress relief of being able to focus on the game and let go of the rest of the world, and I love the never-ending offer of mastery of something that will never be mastered. Glad to see you back Jenny!
:p

AtLarge
07-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I've posted this before on AZB, but it's worth another reading. It's the best thing I've ever read about the appeal of the game of pool.

Playing Off The Rail, by David McCumber, Random House, 1996.

This book contains my favorite passage about pool. It has been hanging on my bulletin board ever since the book was published. I hope some of you enjoy the passage as much as I do. It's from pages 276-277. It is the author's thoughts while watching Tony Annigoni's 9-3 9-ball masterpiece over Johnny Archer.

"Tony broke, and made two balls, and I could see the table unfold in my mind, and I knew he could see it even better, and would run it. As he made the shots I was overpowered by the beauty of this game, at once immutably logical, governed by physical inevitabilities, and at the same time infinitely poetic and varied. This game at its best, as it was being played before me, had the transcendent power of a Handel chorus.

I thought about what an impressive mental exercise it was for Tony, after a miserable session against an unremarkable player two hours earlier, to reinvent himself so completely. It was a question of heart, a gathering of everything stored inside a man, a refusal to fall after stumbling. It was a very rare thing for a player to take such advantage of the game's intrinsic quality of renewal, the fresh start with each match, each rack, each shot. Nothing pharmaceutical could ever exceed the jolt of bliss that comes with the self-mastery that sort of play entails: knowing the ball is going in, knowing the cue ball is going to stop precisely where you willed it to, knowing that the next shot is going in too. I thought of Willie Hoppe, running an astonishing twenty-five billiards in an exhibition in 1918, seeing all those rails and angles and spins and caroms in his head like presents waiting to be opened. It was no accident that Hoppe was the most disciplined and controlled player of his era. Power over the cue ball, over the object ball, is power over ourselves. It is the sweetest irony that pool has gathered the reputation of being a game for louts and idlers, when, to be played well, it demands such incredible discipline of movement, of thinking, of emotion."

dareads
07-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I enjoy the mental aspect of the game more than anything. I can sit for hours and read books, articles and AZ forums. Then comes the fun of trying to implement/perfect what I have learned and the

I'm also very content driving to Reno during the bar table championships and watching for hours on end. I guess I am just as much a fan of the game as I am a player.

maldito
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Nothing like winning a game that looked like it was lost and always trying to improve
to the next level.

BTW - welcome back Jam

Don'tScratch
07-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Pool is just a game. But it's physics, it's geometry, it's a little bit of math, and a whole lot of english (all high school subjects). It's simple, yet complex. Watching a ball roll and hearing it drop, there's a beauty to that. The sounds of the game, the equipment....it's all fascinating. Sometimes it's not even about winning, it's about just playing. It's just a game. But it's a game for life. That's why I love it.

Tokyo-dave
07-02-2010, 09:15 PM
For me, the single most attractive aspect of pool is how close amateurs and pros can come together in this game. By that I mean it's not at all uncommon for a guy like me to enter a large tournament and possibly end up in a match with a well known pro. AND, if the stars are all lined up correctly, it's not totally unthinkable to walk away with a win. How many other sports offer that? Can a weekly softball player ever hope to end up in the batters box against a Randy Johnson? Or a pick up game basketball player ever find him self competing against the likes of Lebron? It happens in pool all the time, and more often than many would believe, guys like Earl, Charlie W., Johnny and others lose in some early round match to some no namer that just happened to have a great day with all the rolls.
dave

jersey jer
07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
part of it for me is

the zone. and not just being in it, but searching for it.

its the competition with myself. ultimately i am deciding if i win or loose. (i wish i would finally decide to win more)

how the game is this incredible social boundary equalizer. white collar, blue collar, rich, poor, race, creed color. i play and meet people because of pool i wouldnt normally due to social circles.

the really addictive parts for me:
the sound, look, and feel of everything involved with the playing of the game.
there's something soo hypnotic about the level of concentration and focus on those well lit bright, shiny, primary colored balls against the backdrop of a dark room. the blackness in the back of the pocket. those images have such a sharp contrast and burn into you. i can see it any time i close my eyes.

when its so quiet you can actually hear whitey rolling on the table up to that soft click that drops a ball into a pocket, then that satisfying click-clang into the ball return and then it rolling down to that thud when it hits the carpeted box.

the cerebral-ness? of every rack being it's own unique puzzle waiting to be solved combined with physical ability to do it. Shooting at your very best is using everything between your ears and at the same time every shot your using every part of your entire body

the pure joy of hitting something just to watch it move and interact with the other balls and cushions on the table.

the fact those things about pool can take my mind off almost anything else.

Snapshot9
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
evolutionary magic waiting to be experienced. It reels you into its world and gets into your blood forever. Smooth as a lover sometimes, rough as a rumble at other times, the excitement forever drifting in and out of your life.

gunzby
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Well last week I went to practice. Upon coming back my fiancee' asked if it went well. I said yes. She then asked who I played and I told her no one....I just played alone. She looked at me weird and said, "you mean to tell me that you played for six hours by yourself?!?!" I said yea....still don't understand what was so weird about that. She said I have a sickness.

I guess you could say I have a sickness then.

JB Cases
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM

I hate money and I am a masochist.

Actually, I like the idea of reducing my world to just the table and controlling the balls. I like making inanimate objects do my bidding and the thrill of victory when I do that AND it's against another person for money.

I like that when I am really in the zone the rest of the world falls away. And I like that this can happen in any number of places from the finest pool room to the dingiest bar. I don't need a membership, special clothes, to be in shape, or the right skin color or gender, I just need a decent cue and an opponent.

That's what attracts me to pool. That's it's universal and personal.

pwd72s
07-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Fun. I play for fun. If it ever quits being fun, I should quit.

JamisonNeu
07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I like everything about cue sports.

It took me like 20 min to type that...

JesseAllred
07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
The escape from the world to what REALLY matters; the click of the balls, the colors and the green expanse, the shots that no one has ever seen but you saw them yesterday and you can't wait to show everyone!, the pleasure and the rhythm and the sweat as you pace around that immense world of probability and fantastical expectation, the feeling of playing with your best friend for 10 years and not knowing that he even had a wife! because it's part of that other world, the one that isn't as real or exciting or important as this one, the feeling of having your pockets stuffed with cash, the dangerous and insane shots you pulled off with everything on the line swirling in your head as you throw the mountain of money on the bed and relive every glorious moment! the quiet times when you are all alone in the pool hall practicing a shot, the sun streaming through the window, passersby looking in, not realizing that you've discovered something about the game that blows your mind, that will revolutionize the pool world! And that's just the turmoil undergone on Monday in this fantastic love affair.

...it took me like 3 min to type that....LOL

JesseAllred
07-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Well last week I went to practice. Upon coming back my fiancee' asked if it went well. I said yes. She then asked who I played and I told her no one....I just played alone. She looked at me weird and said, "you mean to tell me that you played for six hours by yourself?!?!" I said yea....still don't understand what was so weird about that. She said I have a sickness.

I guess you could say I have a sickness then.

amen. lol that's the truth

JAM
07-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Jennie,

You know me very well! I had limited success as a Junior playing such greats as Dennis Hatch, Max Eberle, Charlie Williams & others. I realized early on that pro pool could not support me accordingly and I had to pick up some college books. Now, I work and play once a week and a major tournament once a year.

So, I am not a road hustler! I am not a rail bird! I am not a pro! I guess I am a weekend warrior and proud of it. Plus, my kids appreciate my sacrifice and career decisions that keep me at home right where they need me.

Its kind of hard to walk away from something when you are so close to its highest level. I like most of us pool players, believe that world championship level play is just around the corner and one lesson or one cue/equipement change away. Just stay away from the a$$ weights and tennis tape. Earl the pearl debunked those myths for us. Thanks Earl! Your the greatest!!!!!!!

Kid
Dynomite

LOL! Hey, Kid, what's happening! :)

Well, I think you know you made the right decision. There is no future in pool as a profession, especially in the year 2010. Look at the United States' representation at the World Cup. Who can afford to go, unless you have a corpulent stakehorse or a sponsor? How many American players have that? I can count them on one hand. The payouts in pool don't lend themselves to playing pool professionally on a regular basis.

As I am sure you're aware by now, there's something to be said about having a high-quality roof over your head, a home you can be proud of. Sharing your heart with somebody you love is also what life is all about, much more so than money, though money helps. ;)

Some players won't ever experience the security in life you have now. Believe me, living out of a suitcase sucks. It took me many years and six figures to understand that. Charlie, Dennis, and Max chose a different direction in life, and that's okay for them. People have a right to choose different priorities in their lives. Pool for them may be a greater priority than a family lifestyle.

I'd rather be you than Earl Strickland, Kid. I don't care how many championship titles Earl has. They don't pay the bills, and the lifestyle of a professional player does not complement a family lifestyle. Worst of all, when you die, the funeral parlor may be empty. :sorry:

JAM
07-03-2010, 04:05 AM
I love pool. Okay? Those who have known me my entire life realize that pool is a part of my being.

For me, the best part of my life when I enjoyed pool the most was when I was playing at my local neighborhood tavern or playing on the Busch league. I was a pretty spiffy player at one time, rated 6 out of 7 on the rating scale.

At my neighborhood hangout, I used to really enjoy beating my pool foes. We had a group of us that met every day at the tavern. We'd play for a buck or a brewskie. It wasn't about the money or the free beer. It was about that almighty win. There was no better feeling than sinking the 8-ball and looking at the expression on the other guy's face, the agony of the defeat. LOL! :D

Even today, I don't mind sweating an all-night action game in one-hole, but that's me. I understand pool, all games of pool, and I enjoy hanging out with pool peeps. We are a unique culture.

Professional pool over the last decade seems to be a case of history repeating itself, from what I have been told and from what I have experienced. You can't get ahead in pro pool financially speaking. If money is not important and the high of playing top-level pool is, then, by all means, pro pool is where it's at.

The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, the $25,000-added at Joss/Turning Stone events, Derby City Classic, and Super Billiards Expo are some pool events that I have experienced and enjoyed immensely. As a social shooter, these pool extravaganzas are the nuts, the cream of the crop. For the pro player, it's just another pro tournament. For the railbird like me, it's a place to meet friends, hang out, and jaw-jack. For the pro players, it's business.

I guess what I am trying to say is I love pool for fun and not as a means of income. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the leagues are where it's at, BCA, APA, TAP, and any other that allows social shooters a place to gather, hone their skills, and be competitive. Regional tours like Joss, Jacoby, Viking, Seminoles, Blaze, Predator, Tiger, Planet Pool -- [I'm sure I'm leaving some out] -- are great competitive events that don't bust the bank. That's my take on pool today, which is subject to change if my counterpart ever wins a big one. :wink:

DelaWho???
07-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Obsession...

:cool:

jgpool
07-03-2010, 05:42 AM
After a long stressful day at work, walking into my favorite pool hall and this follows:

Breaking and then it happens. The next thing I remember is sitting back down to get a sip of what else, a cold COORS. The guys at the table say nice run. I say, I ran that rack? I don't remember any shot except the last one. Guess what? My stressful day is forgotten. It's happened more than once. Total concentration. Many peolple have told me that I am a different person when I get on the table, oblivious to reality. Dead Stroke, love it!

scratchs
07-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm an addict, if I knew why I could stop..everyone that's posted pretty much touched on the reasons I play..I can't wait for the weekends to show up..me an my freinds play from Friday night until Sunday afternoon..I have a table at home, so most nights we don't call it until 3-4 in the morning..my kids are grown now..they come home an shoot around a little with me too..I enjoy every minute of their company..I would have never made it as a pro..knew this 25 yrs ago, hasn't stop me from trying to play my best yet. At this very moment I am waitting for a friend to pick me up, we're going down town to play some one pocket..maybe he will win today.

All of you have a safe 4th of july

LC3
07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
1. A personal challenge to become the best I can with out regard for what others think.
2. A complicated problem that requires physical and mental skill.
3. A long term goal and all the learning that is required to achieve that goal.
That describes the challenge aspect of it for me too. Pool is a great lifelong project.